Jump to topic:

Naruto Versus Tournament

GeorgeCarlinWorshipper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2010 2:27:40 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Would anybody else be interested in a Naruto debate tournament? Here's how it would work.

Each participant would either choose or be assigned one character. I, the tournament organizer, will decide the location for each battle. It's pretty much a standard elimination tournament. I'm in favor of debates being five rounds long, but if the majority of participants would favor a different length, we can change it.

For now, I just want people to post if they're interested in participating. Please do not choose characters yet. Thank you.
"We were having a philosophical discussion and I asserted that the only demonstrable reality is individual consciousness, but he insisted on the existence of a priori moral values that transcended free will. So I hit him." - Walon Vau
GeorgeCarlinWorshipper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2010 2:31:38 PM
Yes. Naruto the anime/manga. Filler characters will not be allowed, so pretty much just the Manga.
"We were having a philosophical discussion and I asserted that the only demonstrable reality is individual consciousness, but he insisted on the existence of a priori moral values that transcended free will. So I hit him." - Walon Vau
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2010 4:13:43 PM
Sounds like a one v. one "ultimate team war" with restrictions on whom you can choose.

Not interested.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2010 4:15:23 PM
Yeah, you should research Ultimate Team War, a debate concept by MTGandP. You can choose pretty much anybody to use, and there are five characters per team. Add to that the fact that hardly anybody knows Naruto, and UTW wins.
GeorgeCarlinWorshipper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2010 4:19:38 PM
I've heard about UTW and done an UTW debate. I just thought a 1v1 tournament would be interesting.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2010 4:26:03 PM
At 7/13/2010 4:19:38 PM, GeorgeCarlinWorshipper wrote:
I've heard about UTW and done an UTW debate. I just thought a 1v1 tournament would be interesting.

I think it's a good idea up until you try arguing on it for 5 rounds. Removing the character restriction would help as well.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
GeorgeCarlinWorshipper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2010 4:27:11 PM
I'll change it to four rounds. Do you mean remove the current restriction on choosing characters or changing the number of available characters?

Also, just in advance: I select Itachi.
Atheism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2010 4:37:31 PM
If I do take this, I want Uchiha Madara, Pein(All six bodies), Kyuubi, Salamander Hanzo(Prime), and the Juubi.
I miss the old members.
Atheism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2010 4:38:38 PM
-Please do not choose characters.-
Meh. I might not even take it, so...
Besides, my team is so overpowered that you should have some counters to them.
I miss the old members.
GeorgeCarlinWorshipper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2010 4:48:06 PM
Haven't lifted the restriction on teams or picking characters yet.
Also, for future notice, the Sage of Six Paths is off-limits, as well as the Juubi. Both are too powerful.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2010 4:55:37 PM
At 7/13/2010 4:48:06 PM, GeorgeCarlinWorshipper wrote:
Haven't lifted the restriction on teams or picking characters yet.
Also, for future notice, the Sage of Six Paths is off-limits, as well as the Juubi. Both are too powerful.

Would probably be easier to just create a character list to choose from. I can't see forcing players which character they use garnering much support for sign ups either.
GeorgeCarlinWorshipper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2010 5:17:27 PM
The assigning characters thing is mostly just for people who don't really care. I'll make a list of off-limits characters.
Sobriquet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2010 7:31:33 PM
If I ended up doing this, I think I'd want Lord Killer Bee.
"Bullsh!t is unavoidable whenever circumstance require someone to talk without knowing what he is talking about."
— Harry G. Frankfurt
GeorgeCarlinWorshipper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2010 8:55:13 PM
Off-limits characters:
The Sage of Six Paths
The Sage of Six Paths' two sons
Any Bijuu (You may use their Jinchuuriki instead)
Uchiha Madara
Filler Characters

Note: Shinobi that are able to use Edo Tensei are allowed, but they are not allowed to use the Edo Tensei technique.
Atheism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2010 9:10:08 PM
At 7/13/2010 8:55:13 PM, GeorgeCarlinWorshipper wrote:
Off-limits characters:
The Sage of Six Paths
The Sage of Six Paths' two sons
Any Bijuu (You may use their Jinchuuriki instead)
Uchiha Madara
Filler Characters

Note: Shinobi that are able to use Edo Tensei are allowed, but they are not allowed to use the Edo Tensei technique
...This means I can use Pein still. Cool.
I miss the old members.
Sobriquet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2010 9:13:06 PM
I think he just wants each person to use one character. If you are dead seat on pain, maybe pick Nagato.
"Bullsh!t is unavoidable whenever circumstance require someone to talk without knowing what he is talking about."
— Harry G. Frankfurt
GeorgeCarlinWorshipper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2010 9:13:27 PM
Alright, so there are two participants so far including myself (or three, if Sobriquet is participating).

GeorgeCarlinWorshipper - Uchiha Itachi
Atheim - Pein
Sobriquet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2010 9:19:08 PM
I really have no spare time. If I end up doing it, sign me up for Lord Killer Bee. If he is banned entirely, it may be fun to try Kakuzu.
— Harry G. Frankfurt
GeorgeCarlinWorshipper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2010 9:27:11 PM
Killerbee is available. When I start the tournament, I'll PM you to see if you're available. If Killerbee is taken, you can use Kakuzu and vice/versa.
Sobriquet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2010 9:29:49 PM
Sounds good. Thanks
— Harry G. Frankfurt
GeorgeCarlinWorshipper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2010 9:33:02 PM
No problem. That's 2-3 spots filled. C'mon, people. It'll be fun.
GeorgeCarlinWorshipper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 5:50:00 PM
Shadowparadox's entry accepted. Adding Namikaze Minato to the off-limits list.
Sobriquet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 5:54:06 PM
At 7/17/2010 5:50:00 PM, GeorgeCarlinWorshipper wrote:
Shadowparadox's entry accepted. Adding Namikaze Minato to the off-limits list.

Good choice.
— Harry G. Frankfurt
GeorgeCarlinWorshipper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 6:11:30 PM
Anybody so powerful that they might actually pose a minor threat to Lwerd's supremacy over existence does not belong in a versus tournament.
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 10:52:03 PM
If it were on a forum and there were no time constraints and my "speeches" so to speak could have as many characters as I wanted them to have and the debate could pretty much end when participants were beating a dead horse and no one had a problem with run along sentences, I'd be tempted.
GeorgeCarlinWorshipper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 10:56:41 PM
The forum thing might work (putting each debate in a separate thread); we'd have to set up a new system of rules. I can't promise unlimited characters, but it could be that a person would have at most three posts for their argument, meaning 24,000 characters. Doing thread-based debates would also eliminate the possibility of vote bombers from outside of the tournament. This is actually a really good idea. I'll be thinking about ways to make the thread-based debate thing work. LM, let's start PM'ing.