Debate Club - Topic?

Dublubby26
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2015 2:30:34 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Hello all,

I am one of the founding members of the debate club at my school, led by my English teacher. Unfortunately, he's leaving in May, so we wish to put together a large final debate in order to give him a good send off.

At this moment in time, around five people from his English class attend our rather small club. As my class is quite inspired by his enthusiastic approach to the art of debating, I have suggested that everyone attends his final session. I am, however, struggling to come up with a good final debate. We want to have a strong topic so we can all prepare something to speak about before the day, so as to show him the influence he has had over our critical thinking.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions, and ideas on how to make his last meeting special.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2015 6:33:22 PM
At 3/4/2015 2:30:34 PM, Dublubby26 wrote:
Hello all,

I am one of the founding members of the debate club at my school, led by my English teacher. Unfortunately, he's leaving in May, so we wish to put together a large final debate in order to give him a good send off.

At this moment in time, around five people from his English class attend our rather small club. As my class is quite inspired by his enthusiastic approach to the art of debating, I have suggested that everyone attends his final session. I am, however, struggling to come up with a good final debate. We want to have a strong topic so we can all prepare something to speak about before the day, so as to show him the influence he has had over our critical thinking.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions, and ideas on how to make his last meeting special.

Talk it over with members of your club. This should be a group project with their input.
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2015 8:25:47 PM
At 3/4/2015 2:30:34 PM, Dublubby26 wrote:
Hello all,

There isn't really a singular, awe inspiring topic that you could go for, though there are many good ones. It's really a question of what those in your club are most fervent about - you're going to want to choose a topic that:

a) has fair and relatively equal ground,
b) isn't inherently ideological,
c) garners sizable interest, and
d) has adherents in your club on both sides.

There might be other factors you're interested in, such as public interest. You might focus on school-related topics, since it's something that tends to be of interest to those who attend, though you should be careful to avoid volatile topics.

In other words, there's a lot of good choices, but many considerations in the choosing. Pick an area first, then search for some common topics in that area. Present them to the club, and see where interest lies.