Jump to topic:

Annoying debate formatting error

WillYouMarryMe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2015 4:02:35 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
When I copy/paste from Microsoft Word, why does DDO automatically replace all the apostrophes, hyphens, and dot-dot-dots with quotation marks? It's really annoying. Especially when I spend 15 min scanning my argument to change them back, only to post and see that I missed a few <_<
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2015 4:27:18 PM
At 3/9/2015 4:02:35 PM, WillYouMarryMe wrote:
When I copy/paste from Microsoft Word, why does DDO automatically replace all the apostrophes, hyphens, and dot-dot-dots with quotation marks? It's really annoying. Especially when I spend 15 min scanning my argument to change them back, only to post and see that I missed a few <_<

That's annoying. In my case it usually replaces them all with double quotation marks. I've gotten into the habit of typing my arguments on DDO instead of pasting from Word.

Maybe typing in Rich text will help?
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
WillYouMarryMe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2015 4:39:47 PM
At 3/9/2015 4:27:18 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

That's annoying. In my case it usually replaces them all with double quotation marks. I've gotten into the habit of typing my arguments on DDO instead of pasting from Word.

I would, but Word is pretty much my only option. I can only use DDO on my phone (long story), and I suck at using iPhone keyboards. So I have to type it up on my computer and then email it to myself and then access and the email using my phone and copy-paste the argument into DDO's argument box and then I have to figure out how to trim down 2000 characters (M.word only has a word count) while still keeping it coherent-sounding, which is hard to do at 2am, and then try to make my argument look neat and formatted despite rich text not working on my phone, and....... yeah.
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2015 4:40:41 PM
At 3/9/2015 4:39:47 PM, WillYouMarryMe wrote:

I would, but Word is pretty much my only option. I can only use DDO on my phone (long story), and I suck at using iPhone keyboards. So I have to type it up on my computer and then email it to myself and then access and the email using my phone and copy-paste the argument into DDO's argument box and then I have to figure out how to trim down 2000 characters (M.word only has a word count) while still keeping it coherent-sounding, which is hard to do at 2am, and then try to make my argument look neat and formatted despite rich text not working on my phone, and....... yeah.

Geez, man...that's a bloody lot of work. Props.

DDO's Economics Messiah
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2015 5:15:07 PM
Doesn't happen to me. I just get annoying massive spaces XD
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2015 5:21:13 PM

Simple, just turn off AutoCorrect for changing two dashes into a hyphen and making three periods into an ellipsis. Nothing I can do about the apostrophes, though. :P
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2015 5:23:02 PM
At 3/9/2015 5:21:13 PM, RevNge wrote:
Nothing I can do about the apostrophes, though. :P

You failed, Rev. You had one task, and you failed.

VTL Rev

DDO's Economics Messiah
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2015 5:28:35 PM
At 3/9/2015 5:23:02 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

VTL Rev

Btch pls you don't even know how to fix all three
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2015 5:29:29 PM
At 3/9/2015 5:28:35 PM, RevNge wrote:

VTL Rev

I hired you for that, man. I'm just the miller.

DDO's Economics Messiah
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2015 5:30:05 PM
At 3/9/2015 5:29:29 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

VTL Rev

Like 'ell you are m8

VTL Joey
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2015 5:31:21 PM
At 3/9/2015 5:30:05 PM, RevNge wrote:

VTL Rev

Like 'ell you are m8

VTL Joey

Alright fine!

I'm the miller PGO. Don't visit me, and don't even DARE investigate me. Town will insta-lose.

DDO's Economics Messiah
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2015 5:33:49 PM
At 3/9/2015 5:31:21 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

VTL Rev

Like 'ell you are m8

VTL Joey

Alright fine!

I'm the miller PGO. Don't visit me, and don't even DARE investigate me. Town will insta-lose.

Don't worry, I'm the 1x Deathproof Day Role Cop, and I just targeted you. Some Miller PGO. LOL
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2015 5:35:11 PM
At 3/9/2015 5:33:49 PM, RevNge wrote:
At 3/9/2015 5:31:21 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

VTL Rev

Like 'ell you are m8

VTL Joey

Alright fine!

Don't worry, I'm the 1x Deathproof Day Role Cop, and I just targeted you. Some Miller PGO. LOL

OMG. NOO. NOO.

I lied. I'm also the day PGO, so your vest is now shattered. You're role confirmed, but for a terrible reason.

Policy VTL Rev

DDO's Economics Messiah
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2015 3:12:17 PM

I know the "why." DDO does not recognize the following symbols: em dash, ellipses, and apostrophes. Microsoft Word and other sites (like Google Docs) have a special format for those symbols that DDO does not recognizes. So it replaces them with something it does have: en dashes.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2015 4:11:11 PM

I would, but Word is pretty much my only option. I can only use DDO on my phone (long story), and I suck at using iPhone keyboards. So I have to type it up on my computer and then email it to myself and then access and the email using my phone and copy-paste the argument into DDO's argument box and then I have to figure out how to trim down 2000 characters (M.word only has a word count)

Word totally has a character count option. If you click on the little box in the bottom bar that shows you your word count while you're typing you get to see all sorts of cool stuff, but more importantly you can see your character count.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2015 4:13:35 PM
At 3/10/2015 4:11:11 PM, Zaradi wrote:

I would, but Word is pretty much my only option. I can only use DDO on my phone (long story), and I suck at using iPhone keyboards. So I have to type it up on my computer and then email it to myself and then access and the email using my phone and copy-paste the argument into DDO's argument box and then I have to figure out how to trim down 2000 characters (M.word only has a word count)

Word totally has a character count option. If you click on the little box in the bottom bar that shows you your word count while you're typing you get to see all sorts of cool stuff, but more importantly you can see your character count.

That, and the Tools >> Word Count option, which even accounts for spacing.

DDO's Economics Messiah
WillYouMarryMe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2015 4:56:21 PM
At 3/10/2015 4:11:11 PM, Zaradi wrote:

ooh didn't know that
thanks!!