Total Posts:203|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

"Faggot"

PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2010 7:06:23 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I recently called cjl a faggot. My statements did not garner great support from the community, but I still maintain them. Cjl is a faggot, and here's why...

...but before getting into that, let's turn back the clock a little bit. About a year and a half ago, I-am-a-panda was banned for posting misogynistic comments. After a month or so, I-am-a-panda was unbanned, and since then his sexism has gotten a lot better, and I am thankful.

But before I-am-a-panda was banned, I raged out against him. I called him some pretty nasty stuff... stuff like "misogynistic, womanizing pig piece of trash."

When I criticized Panda, I got negative comments from other users... but never did I get negative comments because of my language... I got negative comments because they disagreed with my opinion... which is perfectly fine.

But now when I criticize cjl, it's not because of my opinion but because of my language. And I am seriously perplexed.

Isn't cjl a faggot?

His homosexuality seems to be the only thing he wants to talk about, and he makes his sexuality his sole identity. He may have posted a few posts here and there about other subjects, but for the vast majority of his posts you'll see him fulfilling a gay stereotype. In fact, my calling him a faggot probably gets him off. He *LIKES* being called a faggot.

So what do you call someone who lets a stereotype define him? What do you call someone who only wants to talk about being gay? Well, you call that person a faggot, because that's all he is.

Case in point, I'm not homophobic. I just call it as it is. If I see someone who only wants to talk about his heterosexuality... well, I call that guy a "misogynistic, womanizing pig piece of trash." If I see someone who only wants to talk about her heterosexuality, I call her a dirty whore. And if I see someone who only wants to talk about his homosexuality... well, I call that person cjl.

What a faggot.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Koopin
Posts: 12,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2010 7:09:39 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
What's up with words turning into gay expressions?

Gay used to equal the word for happy
Faggot used to mean a cig.
kfc
Koopin
Posts: 12,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2010 7:11:24 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/16/2010 7:10:32 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I still think Panda is sexist, but that's aside from the point.

Wuh?
kfc
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2010 7:14:18 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/16/2010 7:11:24 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 7/16/2010 7:10:32 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I still think Panda is sexist, but that's aside from the point.

Wuh?

You didn't see his "tits or gtfo" thread did you?
Koopin
Posts: 12,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2010 7:16:00 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/16/2010 7:14:18 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 7/16/2010 7:11:24 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 7/16/2010 7:10:32 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I still think Panda is sexist, but that's aside from the point.

Wuh?

You didn't see his "tits or gtfo" thread did you?


*facepalm*


Panda Panda Panda...
kfc
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2010 7:17:17 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/16/2010 7:16:00 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 7/16/2010 7:14:18 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 7/16/2010 7:11:24 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 7/16/2010 7:10:32 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I still think Panda is sexist, but that's aside from the point.

Wuh?

You didn't see his "tits or gtfo" thread did you?


*facepalm*


Panda Panda Panda...

Knock yourself out. http://www.debate.org...
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2010 7:25:39 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/16/2010 7:24:30 PM, cjl wrote:
Thanks PoeJoe...you really know how to make a person cry. Proud of you...You will be blocked

Yes, thanks PoeJoe - because what we really needed is more drama like this.
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2010 7:26:41 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/16/2010 7:25:39 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 7/16/2010 7:24:30 PM, cjl wrote:
Thanks PoeJoe...you really know how to make a person cry. Proud of you...You will be blocked

Yes, thanks PoeJoe - because what we really needed is more drama like this.

I'm seriously perplexed how one word--one word which was accurately used--is a problem.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
cjl
Posts: 1,073
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2010 7:28:10 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/16/2010 7:26:41 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 7/16/2010 7:25:39 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 7/16/2010 7:24:30 PM, cjl wrote:
Thanks PoeJoe...you really know how to make a person cry. Proud of you...You will be blocked

Yes, thanks PoeJoe - because what we really needed is more drama like this.

I'm seriously perplexed how one word--one word which was accurately used--is a problem.

May God help you...may He.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2010 7:30:31 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/16/2010 7:26:41 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
I'm seriously perplexed how one word--one word which was accurately used--is a problem.

Really?

Joe, you essentially started calling someone what is a derogatory term - might be accurate, and may be deserved, but still, silly nonetheless. That was the spark that lit the match.

Then cjl gets all prissy, and others start chastising you. That's the flame at the tip starting to grow.

Then, then, you have to push it even further, and not only defend it, but reinforce it, with its very own thread, to draw even more attention to the issue than what was needed. Then, apparently, cjl "cried," which is equally silly.

That right there is the flame burning part of your finger off because you had to push it just an eensy bit farther.

Care to light yourself on fire?
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2010 7:34:04 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/16/2010 7:30:31 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 7/16/2010 7:26:41 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
I'm seriously perplexed how one word--one word which was accurately used--is a problem.

Really?

Joe, you essentially started calling someone what is a derogatory term - might be accurate, and may be deserved, but still, silly nonetheless. That was the spark that lit the match.

Then cjl gets all prissy, and others start chastising you. That's the flame at the tip starting to grow.

Then, then, you have to push it even further, and not only defend it, but reinforce it, with its very own thread, to draw even more attention to the issue than what was needed. Then, apparently, cjl "cried," which is equally silly.

That right there is the flame burning part of your finger off because you had to push it just an eensy bit farther.

Care to light yourself on fire?

I dunno. With PoeJoe being Asian and all, he might just be suffering from Yellow Fever. That might explain where all the heat is coming from, too. :P
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2010 7:34:10 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/16/2010 7:30:31 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 7/16/2010 7:26:41 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
I'm seriously perplexed how one word--one word which was accurately used--is a problem.

Really?

Joe, you essentially started calling someone what is a derogatory term - might be accurate, and may be deserved, but still, silly nonetheless. That was the spark that lit the match.

Then cjl gets all prissy, and others start chastising you. That's the flame at the tip starting to grow.

Then, then, you have to push it even further, and not only defend it, but reinforce it, with its very own thread, to draw even more attention to the issue than what was needed. Then, apparently, cjl "cried," which is equally silly.

That right there is the flame burning part of your finger off because you had to push it just an eensy bit farther.

Care to light yourself on fire?

Oh, I'm sorry for stating the truth.

Next time, I'll reinforce double standards. You got to be extra careful around gays...okay, I got it now.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
PalinFan
Posts: 322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2010 7:34:19 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/16/2010 7:26:41 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 7/16/2010 7:25:39 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 7/16/2010 7:24:30 PM, cjl wrote:
Thanks PoeJoe...you really know how to make a person cry. Proud of you...You will be blocked

Yes, thanks PoeJoe - because what we really needed is more drama like this.

I'm seriously perplexed how one word--one word which was accurately used--is a problem.

Your question can best be descried by one word connotation, "faggot" is word that is used to demean and vilify homosexuals.

Eg.
http://www.pinknews.co.uk...
http://hornbillunleashed.files.wordpress.com...
http://sumagazine.syr.edu...

You need a lesson in tolerance. Tolerance doesn't mean you accept the beliefs, actions or behaviors of others but you mind your on business and stfu or gtfo.
Super Man does not come close to the power of Jesus Christ - GodSands
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2010 7:35:48 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/16/2010 7:34:10 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
Oh, I'm sorry for stating the truth.

Next time, I'll reinforce double standards. You got to be extra careful around gays...okay, I got it now.

No, PoeJoe, this is what you do:

1. You say something stupid
2. Take the brow beating you'll get, and give some back, but let it drop overall
3. Do not create a thread about it to create a singular focus on what cjl is and your own sob story about being persecuted for "telling it like it is."

Rinse and repeat.

@Cody - lol.
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2010 7:36:24 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/16/2010 7:34:04 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
I dunno. With PoeJoe being Asian and all, he might just be suffering from Yellow Fever. That might explain where all the heat is coming from, too. :P

And I think this is funny!

Granted, when I used "faggot" it wasn't for comedic purposes... but you don't see me crying over some silly joke. And I certainly wouldn't get "prissy" over the word "chink" either... even if all I talked about was being Cantonese and even if all I did was reinforce Asian stereotypes!
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Korashk
Posts: 4,597
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2010 7:37:01 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/16/2010 7:26:41 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 7/16/2010 7:25:39 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 7/16/2010 7:24:30 PM, cjl wrote:
Thanks PoeJoe...you really know how to make a person cry. Proud of you...You will be blocked

Yes, thanks PoeJoe - because what we really needed is more drama like this.

I'm seriously perplexed how one word--one word which was accurately used--is a problem.

You really don't get that the observable context in which you used the word "faggot" would be comparable to you calling koopin or PCP "nigger?"
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2010 7:39:49 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/16/2010 7:37:01 PM, Korashk wrote:
At 7/16/2010 7:26:41 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 7/16/2010 7:25:39 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 7/16/2010 7:24:30 PM, cjl wrote:
Thanks PoeJoe...you really know how to make a person cry. Proud of you...You will be blocked

Yes, thanks PoeJoe - because what we really needed is more drama like this.

I'm seriously perplexed how one word--one word which was accurately used--is a problem.

You really don't get that the observable context in which you used the word "faggot" would be comparable to you calling koopin or PCP "nigger?"

Koopin and PCP do not spend all their time exclusively talking about being black and reinforcing black stereotypes, so it would be inappropriate.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
TheSkeptic
Posts: 1,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2010 7:42:17 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Unfortunately, I have to agree with PalinFan >.>

Faggot is almost always used with derogatory intent. Sure, you have accurately pointed out that he is gay but the word "faggot" harbors the connotation that being gay is somehow humorous, inferior, disgusting, etc. Just like chink is a term for orientals, but bears the connotation that not only do in general they have "small eyes", but this is somehow humorous, inferior, disgusting, etc.

Do I think PoeJoe is racist? No. Do I think PoeJoe should be chastised for using a racist/harmful term? No. It's silly that people get so worked up about words - what you should be focusing your blame or moral calculations on is the intentions behind the actors speaking such words. It seems quite obvious that a situation in which two friends tease each other while using offensive words ("lol dude, you're a fvking idiot) is morally neutral in comparison to a situation in which two actors insult each other with angry/disrespectful intentions WHETHER or not they use offensive terms.

Usage of offensive terms can betray things about the actor (perhaps they are slightly racist, or just juvenile), but I highly doubt PoeJoe is idiotic enough to be racist.
PalinFan
Posts: 322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2010 7:44:52 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/16/2010 7:39:49 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 7/16/2010 7:37:01 PM, Korashk wrote:
At 7/16/2010 7:26:41 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 7/16/2010 7:25:39 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 7/16/2010 7:24:30 PM, cjl wrote:
Thanks PoeJoe...you really know how to make a person cry. Proud of you...You will be blocked

Yes, thanks PoeJoe - because what we really needed is more drama like this.

I'm seriously perplexed how one word--one word which was accurately used--is a problem.

You really don't get that the observable context in which you used the word "faggot" would be comparable to you calling koopin or PCP "nigger?"

Koopin and PCP do not spend all their time exclusively talking about being black and reinforcing black stereotypes, so it would be inappropriate.

Even if they did emulate black stereotypes it wouldn't justify the use of a word specific intended to demonize and belittle an entire group of people.
Super Man does not come close to the power of Jesus Christ - GodSands
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2010 7:47:10 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/16/2010 7:44:52 PM, PalinFan wrote:
At 7/16/2010 7:39:49 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 7/16/2010 7:37:01 PM, Korashk wrote:
At 7/16/2010 7:26:41 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 7/16/2010 7:25:39 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 7/16/2010 7:24:30 PM, cjl wrote:
Thanks PoeJoe...you really know how to make a person cry. Proud of you...You will be blocked

Yes, thanks PoeJoe - because what we really needed is more drama like this.

I'm seriously perplexed how one word--one word which was accurately used--is a problem.

You really don't get that the observable context in which you used the word "faggot" would be comparable to you calling koopin or PCP "nigger?"

Koopin and PCP do not spend all their time exclusively talking about being black and reinforcing black stereotypes, so it would be inappropriate.

Even if they did emulate black stereotypes it wouldn't justify the use of a word specific intended to demonize and belittle an entire group of people.

You're right.

On top of emulating black stereotypes, they would have to exclusively talk about being black and become a black stereotype...not only emulate it. Only then would the word "nigger," be appropriate.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
J.Kenyon
Posts: 4,194
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2010 7:47:39 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/16/2010 7:39:49 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 7/16/2010 7:37:01 PM, Korashk wrote:
At 7/16/2010 7:26:41 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 7/16/2010 7:25:39 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 7/16/2010 7:24:30 PM, cjl wrote:
Thanks PoeJoe...you really know how to make a person cry. Proud of you...You will be blocked

Yes, thanks PoeJoe - because what we really needed is more drama like this.

I'm seriously perplexed how one word--one word which was accurately used--is a problem.

You really don't get that the observable context in which you used the word "faggot" would be comparable to you calling koopin or PCP "nigger?"

Koopin and PCP do not spend all their time exclusively talking about being black and reinforcing black stereotypes, so it would be inappropriate.

Lolwut?

I actually agree with you on this, though. CJL needs to hike up his miniskirt, flush his tampon and quit being such a little whiner. It's an effing debate site and he gets his undies all in a wad every time someone challenges his beliefs.

That being said, even if PCP or Koopin did constantly reinforce black stereotypes (which Koopin kind of does, albeit in a satirical sort of way), it would still be inappropriate to call them "niggers." "Nigger" has much more serious negative connotations than "faggot."
TheSkeptic
Posts: 1,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2010 7:48:32 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/16/2010 7:46:06 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:
Why is everyone discouraging his free speech :/

Exactly. You could chastise his use of a term as inappropriate, silly, etc., but I don't find it morally vicious of anyone to call others nigger, faggot, etc.
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2010 7:51:19 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/16/2010 7:46:06 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:
Why is everyone discouraging his free speech :/

no one's saying he should be prevented from saying it, just that its not nice to do so. which it isn't. and this fake indignation is kind of lame. derogatory terms are derogatory whether the trait in question is a central part of the person's identity or not.

that said, i think cjl is totally overreacting. he's a stranger from the interwebz who probably didn't even mean anything by it. get over it :P
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2010 7:53:11 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
# Will follow the following rules while participating on the site. Any disregard for these rules or any of the other terms or guidelines may result in termination of a member's account.

1. No use of profanities or swear words.
2. No personal attacks against other members or a member's opinions.
3. No use of racial, sexual or religious slurs.

Appropriate descriptor of cjl or no, you violated Phil's propartah rahts.

Anyway, feeling insecure Poejoe? I seem to recall you having changed the "interested in" on your profile once. You changed it back right quick, but still :P.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.