Jump to topic:

Fan Fic Idea: Welcome Feedback

ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2015 2:01:06 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
So, in all my wonkery and dorkiness, I have an interesting idea for a fan fic that I think--pun intended, as you'll see in a second--perfectly aligns with supply and demand: what I want to and would be able to regularly write, and with what you all would be interested in reading. Obviously it isn't possible to have one without the other, and yet sustain a successful story.

Those who know me are aware that I'm a massive econ nerd. Now, obviously I'm not going to write some lame econ fan fic: it'll be full of overly technical jargon that no one really cares about and that will only appeal to a small subset of people. But, there's more (now I sound like a used car salesmen--forgive me). What if I were to write a satire of, say, the policy response to the crisis of 2007-09? Indeed, there would probably some technical wonkery, as I just can't help myself, but it would mostly be a humorous, sarcastic, and of course highly hyperbolic account of what actually took place-i.e., I'm going to go to absolute town with the whole "helicopter drop" dynamic, and will likely poke a bunch a fun at gold lovers. I'll probably need to tone it down after a few episodes, but that's what feedback is for.

Any thoughts? Anyone somewhat interested in the idea or have anything to add to it? I'd like to see if there's at least a moderate amount of support for this idea before I take a step toward writing or planning it.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2015 2:10:24 PM
At 3/11/2015 2:01:06 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
So, in all my wonkery and dorkiness, I have an interesting idea for a fan fic that I think--pun intended, as you'll see in a second--perfectly aligns with supply and demand: what I want to and would be able to regularly write, and with what you all would be interested in reading. Obviously it isn't possible to have one without the other, and yet sustain a successful story.

Those who know me are aware that I'm a massive econ nerd. Now, obviously I'm not going to write some lame econ fan fic: it'll be full of overly technical jargon that no one really cares about and that will only appeal to a small subset of people. But, there's more (now I sound like a used car salesmen--forgive me). What if I were to write a satire of, say, the policy response to the crisis of 2007-09? Indeed, there would probably some technical wonkery, as I just can't help myself, but it would mostly be a humorous, sarcastic, and of course highly hyperbolic account of what actually took place-i.e., I'm going to go to absolute town with the whole "helicopter drop" dynamic, and will likely poke a bunch a fun at gold lovers. I'll probably need to tone it down after a few episodes, but that's what feedback is for.

Any thoughts? Anyone somewhat interested in the idea or have anything to add to it? I'd like to see if there's at least a moderate amount of support for this idea before I take a step toward writing or planning it.

http://www.reactiongifs.com...
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2015 2:11:19 PM
At 3/11/2015 2:10:24 PM, RevNge wrote:

http://www.reactiongifs.com...

I'll put you down as a "maybe?" :P

DDO's Economics Messiah
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2015 2:13:20 PM
With the lack of attention fanfics usually get, though, you'll have to make sure that you don't bore what's left of the readers with economics, lol. I'd recommend centering your fanfic around such economic crises as you've described, but make sure that you find a good balance between your own interests and the reader's interests--find a way that motivates them to keep reading.
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2015 2:14:14 PM
At 3/11/2015 2:13:20 PM, RevNge wrote:
With the lack of attention fanfics usually get, though, you'll have to make sure that you don't bore what's left of the readers with economics, lol. I'd recommend centering your fanfic around such economic crises as you've described, but make sure that you find a good balance between your own interests and the reader's interests--find a way that motivates them to keep reading.

Yeah, that's exactly the point--hence the bogus equilibrium joke I made earlier, lol.

DDO's Economics Messiah
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2015 2:18:36 PM

No matter what it is I'll sign up for it anyway since I don't have to do anything.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2015 2:22:32 PM
" What if I were to write a satire of, say, the policy response to the crisis of 2007-09?"

If you made it a mini fanfic where the whole thing lasts maybe 5-6 episodes I would read it just out of mild interest, but a full length fanfic over such a weird idea would quickly lose its appeal and just add to the clutter of the entertainment section.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2015 2:25:48 PM
At 3/11/2015 2:22:32 PM, imabench wrote:
" What if I were to write a satire of, say, the policy response to the crisis of 2007-09?"

If you made it a mini fanfic where the whole thing lasts maybe 5-6 episodes I would read it just out of mild interest, but a full length fanfic over such a weird idea would quickly lose its appeal and just add to the clutter of the entertainment section.

There would certainly be a cap to it, yeah, or at least to that one particular event. I could, if it garnered any interest, write on several different points in time, though.

DDO's Economics Messiah
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2015 2:45:43 PM

So basically it'll go like this:

Cabinet Member: Mr. President, the corporations are failing! Thousands of people will lose their jobs and the economy will suffer!
Bush: I've got the perfect solution: bailout money!
Audience: BWaHAHAhAHAHAHAhahaHahAHA!
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2015 2:47:10 PM
At 3/11/2015 2:45:43 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Cabinet Member: Mr. President, the corporations are failing! Thousands of people will lose their jobs and the economy will suffer!

Actually, I was going to focus more on the Fed, and the meeting with Bernanke and Paulson and several congressional leaders about the whole "impending collapse." There's probably a lot I can get out of that, and if I can find a super conservative DDO member who loves to scream about gold, I could (in good fun) make a comedy out of it, lol.

DDO's Economics Messiah
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2015 2:57:07 PM
At 3/11/2015 2:47:10 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

Actually, I was going to focus more on the Fed, and the meeting with Bernanke and Paulson and several congressional leaders about the whole "impending collapse." There's probably a lot I can get out of that, and if I can find a super conservative DDO member who loves to scream about gold, I could (in good fun) make a comedy out of it, lol.

I'd volunteer to be that guy, but I don't know that much about economics.

The DDO Blog:

ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2015 3:10:36 PM
At 3/11/2015 2:57:07 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

You'd probably fit that role, tbh. Maybe I'd interview you beforehand to see where you stand on stabilization policy, lol.

DDO's Economics Messiah
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2015 3:18:31 PM
At 3/11/2015 3:10:36 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
At 3/11/2015 2:57:07 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

You'd probably fit that role, tbh. Maybe I'd interview you beforehand to see where you stand on stabilization policy, lol.

Feel free to do so.

The DDO Blog:

Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2015 3:22:43 PM

I'd read the pilot episode then make a decision. I know squat about economics, but if there's enough comedy I'd probably get past that
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9

http://www.debate.org...