Jump to topic:

Isaiah Ginter Family Fund (go fund me)

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2015 5:41:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
DDO community I beg of you, in this time of need my Friend Isaiah Ginter was hopitalized with Leukemia and he's in a fight for his life as it's getting worse. His family is starting to struggle under the burden. It is sad as 2 weeks ago, on his 15th birthday he suffered from this and was hospitalized. I beg of you to please help him out whether it's by donation, prayer, or just keeping him in your thoughts. Please DDO I beg of you to please help him out as if we're able to get Max a labtop we can help Ginter. Thank you.

(http://www.gofundme.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2015 6:19:42 PM
It's interesting to note the way singular cases of charity toward suffering individuals can be so much more compelling than charity toward a suffering group.
One boy suffering leukemia sounds much more pressing than 2 million people dying of AIDS. When you think about the fact that $100,000 spent funding the cure operations for the disease of one poor soul could have been spent literally feeding hundreds of starving families for an entire year, deterring malnutrition, starvation and death with much greater efficiency.

Not that I'm saying that the lone sufferer doesn't deserve compassion, neither am I telling you not to donate to this cause. Every life is worth saving. I'm simply noting what I see: when suffering is abstracted to mere numbers, the actual quantitative measure of suffering starts to lose its impact.

Every penny you spend saving this one life could have been better spent saving countless more. If your goal in spending is to feel good about donating and helping, then you're not thinking in terms of helping humanity, but only about yourself and satisfying your personal sense of being a 'good person'.
But that's OK.

I think that if we mire ourselves in such a predicament every time, we'd be mentally defeating the purpose of philanthropy into never-ending series of compassion-less calculations.
Losing our compassion, our inclination to give, destroys philanthropy at its root.
We do want to feel good and prove ourselves good people, but we also want to help others. Ultimately, we do end up helping some people, even though our efforts could have easily been put to better use in helping more people.

So by all means, donate away.
Senpai has noticed you.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2015 6:28:57 PM
At 3/12/2015 6:19:42 PM, Beginner wrote:
It's interesting to note the way singular cases of charity toward suffering individuals can be so much more compelling than charity toward a suffering group.
One boy suffering leukemia sounds much more pressing than 2 million people dying of AIDS. When you think about the fact that $100,000 spent funding the cure operations for the disease of one poor soul could have been spent literally feeding hundreds of starving families for an entire year, deterring malnutrition, starvation and death with much greater efficiency.

Not that I'm saying that the lone sufferer doesn't deserve compassion, neither am I telling you not to donate to this cause. Every life is worth saving. I'm simply noting what I see: when suffering is abstracted to mere numbers, the actual quantitative measure of suffering starts to lose its impact.

Every penny you spend saving this one life could have been better spent saving countless more. If your goal in spending is to feel good about donating and helping, then you're not thinking in terms of helping humanity, but only about yourself and satisfying your personal sense of being a 'good person'.
But that's OK.

I think that if we mire ourselves in such a predicament every time, we'd be mentally defeating the purpose of philanthropy into never-ending series of compassion-less calculations.
Losing our compassion, our inclination to give, destroys philanthropy at its root.
We do want to feel good and prove ourselves good people, but we also want to help others. Ultimately, we do end up helping some people, even though our efforts could have easily been put to better use in helping more people.

So by all means, donate away.

If you are donating out of pure altruism or duty, then yes, this particular case isn't worthwhile. If, however, you're donating because of your values (particularly Lannan), then it's perfectly reasonable to donate here (and it would be just as reasonable to turn down a stranger on the street).

In any case, this isn't really the place for this discussion.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2015 6:35:43 PM
At 3/12/2015 6:28:57 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
If you are donating out of pure altruism or duty, then yes, this particular case isn't worthwhile. If, however, you're donating because of your values (particularly Lannan), then it's perfectly reasonable to donate here (and it would be just as reasonable to turn down a stranger on the street).
Values are subjective. To people like you and me, this boy with leukemia is just as foreign to us as strangers on the street or starving families in a foreign country.

I disagree.
Senpai has noticed you.
That1User
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2015 7:04:37 PM
Bump.
"Our life is what our thoughts make it."
R13; Marcus Aurelius
"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -Marcus Aurelius
"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." -Voltaire
"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do. "-Voltaire
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2015 7:07:36 PM
At 3/12/2015 6:35:43 PM, Beginner wrote:
At 3/12/2015 6:28:57 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
Values are subjective.
I would say "unique to the individual" is distinct from "subjective", but that's neither here nor there.

To people like you and me, this boy with leukemia is just as foreign to us as strangers on the street or starving families in a foreign country.
Considering that we know Lannan, that's not true. If the member who posted this had just made his account an hour ago, though, I would agree.

I disagree.

Eh... You should probably make a thread in Philosophy about this.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
That1User
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2015 7:23:27 PM
I'd encourage people to donate to both Lannan's charity and major charities.
R13; Marcus Aurelius
"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -Marcus Aurelius
That1User
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2015 7:31:50 PM
I encourage people to donate to both Lannan's charity and major charities.
R13; Marcus Aurelius
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2015 7:46:51 PM
Oh boy, I hear the libertarian rightwing cry of "responsibility" in my head. If only there was universal healthcare, amirite?
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2015 7:55:01 PM
At 3/12/2015 7:42:24 PM, 8elB6U5THIqaSm5QhiNLVnRJA wrote:
Are we funding his euthanasia or his cure?

The campaign is slightly obscure.

Oh I deeply appologize. His kemo treatment and such.

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2015 8:47:29 PM
At 3/12/2015 7:31:50 PM, That1User wrote:
I encourage people to donate to both Lannan's charity and major charities.

Thank you.

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2015 8:28:31 AM
Spam bump.

The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2015 8:37:36 AM
At 3/12/2015 5:41:39 PM, lannan13 wrote:
DDO community I beg of you, in this time of need my Friend Isaiah Ginter was hopitalized with Leukemia and he's in a fight for his life as it's getting worse. His family is starting to struggle under the burden. It is sad as 2 weeks ago, on his 15th birthday he suffered from this and was hospitalized. I beg of you to please help him out whether it's by donation, prayer, or just keeping him in your thoughts. Please DDO I beg of you to please help him out as if we're able to get Max a labtop we can help Ginter. Thank you.

I haven't forgotten; he is still in my prayers. I would donate, but I literally have no funds.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2015 8:38:10 AM
At 3/13/2015 8:37:36 AM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

I haven't forgotten; he is still in my prayers. I would donate, but I literally have no funds.

That's completely understandable. And thank you for the prayers for him.

The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2015 8:43:32 AM
At 3/13/2015 8:38:10 AM, lannan13 wrote:

Which hospital is Isaiah at?
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2015 8:46:14 AM
At 3/13/2015 8:43:32 AM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

St. Jude's Children's hospital.

The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2015 8:49:41 AM
At 3/13/2015 8:46:14 AM, lannan13 wrote:

In Memphis Tennessee?
Suh dude

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2015 8:51:21 AM
At 3/13/2015 8:49:41 AM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

In Memphis Tennessee?

Kansas City.

The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2015 8:52:20 AM
At 3/13/2015 8:51:21 AM, lannan13 wrote:

In Memphis Tennessee?

Kansas City.

Oh. I was getting excited there for a minute.
Suh dude

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2015 8:54:45 AM
At 3/13/2015 8:52:20 AM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

In Memphis Tennessee?

Kansas City.

I know. I've only been to Memphis a few times though. I used to live there for a month and then I had to move.

The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2015 8:58:44 AM
At 3/13/2015 8:54:45 AM, lannan13 wrote:

In Memphis Tennessee?

Kansas City.

I know. I've only been to Memphis a few times though. I used to live there for a month and then I had to move.

Oh. So you understand the absolute ghettoness of the shabby place? If so, I am not alone!

On a serious note, I hope your friend is cured to the fullest extent. I understand how you feel; I have experienced a loved one with cancer.
Suh dude

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2015 9:00:20 AM
At 3/13/2015 8:58:44 AM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

In Memphis Tennessee?

Kansas City.

Oh. So you understand the absolute ghettoness of the shabby place? If so, I am not alone!

Not really, I lived in quite a nice neighborhood. (can't remember street name) It was interesting though as I saw a Red BIrds game and a Suns game while I lived there.

On a serious note, I hope your friend is cured to the fullest extent. I understand how you feel; I have experienced a loved one with cancer.

The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2015 9:04:58 AM
At 3/13/2015 9:00:20 AM, lannan13 wrote:

In Memphis Tennessee?

Kansas City.

Not really, I lived in quite a nice neighborhood. (can't remember street name) It was interesting though as I saw a Red BIrds game and a Suns game while I lived there.

It was probably Countrywood. I used to live there too. But even then, there really is no true nice neighborhood in Memphis. This is a common misconception for people that have not lived here that long, or have not been here at all except for "passing through".

Suh dude

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2015 9:08:12 AM
At 3/13/2015 9:04:58 AM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

In Memphis Tennessee?

Kansas City.

It was probably Countrywood. I used to live there too. But even then, there really is no true nice neighborhood in Memphis. This is a common misconception for people that have not lived here that long, or have not been here at all except for "passing through".

True.

I do too, as I've had two friends die of cancer last week and a friend die on Monday.

The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2015 9:10:28 AM
At 3/13/2015 9:08:12 AM, lannan13 wrote:

In Memphis Tennessee?

Kansas City.

True.

I do too, as I've had two friends die of cancer last week and a friend die on Monday.

Whoa. Man... I can't imagine how awful it feels having so many people that I know die from the same thing in such a short amount of time. O_O
Suh dude

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2015 9:12:42 AM
At 3/13/2015 9:10:28 AM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

In Memphis Tennessee?

Kansas City.

True.

Whoa. Man... I can't imagine how awful it feels having so many people that I know die from the same thing in such a short amount of time. O_O

It's really devistating. I was so stressed that I collapsed this week from it. I cried my guts out which is something hard for me to do as I'm very emotionally stunted. Luckily I have good friends on DDO that helped me through it.

The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2015 9:15:49 AM
At 3/13/2015 9:12:42 AM, lannan13 wrote:

In Memphis Tennessee?

Kansas City.

True.

It's really devistating. I was so stressed that I collapsed this week from it. I cried my guts out which is something hard for me to do as I'm very emotionally stunted. Luckily I have good friends on DDO that helped me through it.

Wow.... I know how it feels to cry your guts out; I have been through a lot in my life, but collapsing from stress... I just can't fathom it. It is a good thing to have friends help you through it.

If I can do anything for you, let me know.
Suh dude

The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2015 9:43:47 AM
Bump post.
Suh dude

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2015 11:40:14 AM
At 3/13/2015 9:15:49 AM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
At 3/13/2015 9:12:42 AM, lannan13 wrote:

In Memphis Tennessee?

Kansas City.

True.

Wow.... I know how it feels to cry your guts out; I have been through a lot in my life, but collapsing from stress... I just can't fathom it. It is a good thing to have friends help you through it.

If I can do anything for you, let me know.

Will do.