Jump to topic:

An Apology

PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 10:30:09 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I should not have called cjl that word, and I apologize to him and anyone else who was offended. I will not use that word ever again in a derogatory way, and I accept full responsibility for using that word.

I realize that the word has strong derogatory connotations. As innomen suggested, I wasn't thinking when I used the word, and when people started criticizing my usage I let my ego get in the way. This was my fault, and I apologize. I will fight hard not to let this happen again. As a debater, I should not let my ego get in the way of things.

I really, really mean it when I say I am not homophobic. You can choose to believe me or not, but that's what I'm saying. I think it's been made pretty clear on this website that I'm a equality-loving liberal. I am not nor have I ever been a foe of the gay rights movement.

For anything else I have forgotten to mention, I apologize. I deeply regret saying that word. It was not my intention to hurt anyone else's feelings other than cjl. And I now regret even that.

Peace?
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 10:35:10 PM
At 7/17/2010 10:33:50 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
+1 to PoeJoe. :)

Agreed
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 9:02:09 AM
Agreed, and it speaks a lot of PJ's character. Also, it should be known that he sent me a PM personally apologizing. You'll do well, and thanks.
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 9:07:58 AM
At 7/17/2010 10:33:50 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
+1 to PoeJoe. :)

Dang, I should call people names and then say I am sorry so I can get +1s.
kfc
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 9:13:12 AM
You insult a troll, and someone who thinks the holocaust is funny makes you apologise for it?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 9:20:07 AM
At 7/18/2010 9:13:12 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
You insult a troll, and someone who thinks the holocaust is funny makes you apologise for it?

Yeah, i should change my profile to reflect that.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 9:24:33 AM
At 7/18/2010 9:20:07 AM, innomen wrote:

Of course you should.

But in all seriousness, i's really a double standard if you crack jokes about the Holocaust, but say using the word faggot is derogatory. Both are bad in the wrong context. Poejoe did not use faggot in the wrong context. Cjl is a troll, and deserves whatevers coming to him. Misuse of the word is bad, but that's only if it's misuse.

I mean, you wouldn't be happy if I make a few jokes about Mugabes anti-homosexuality polices now would you?
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 9:30:40 AM
At 7/18/2010 9:24:33 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Of course you should.

But in all seriousness, i's really a double standard if you crack jokes about the Holocaust, but say using the word faggot is derogatory. Both are bad in the wrong context. Poejoe did not use faggot in the wrong context. Cjl is a troll, and deserves whatevers coming to him. Misuse of the word is bad, but that's only if it's misuse.

I mean, you wouldn't be happy if I make a few jokes about Mugabes anti-homosexuality polices now would you?

okay, so to a certain extent i agree with you. However, i really don't see a whole lot of nazi's on this site...well mostly. That word is personally offensive to me, and to others as well. To whom am i offending with a joke about nazi's? If i have offended someone, i would agree with you, truly.

Second, the use of that word in the correct context, i.e. with true and accurate intent in its result, is especially offensive. Context and appropriate use is an odd criticism particularly for PJ, of which i never accused.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 12:05:42 PM

Of course you should.

There is a fundamental difference here.

Those holocaust jokes are clearly anti-Nazi... after you think through the irony, you're supposed to be disgusted at the Nazi officer... I really doubt the speaker of the joke intended you to *LIKE* the Nazi officer.

My usage of "f*ggot," however, was intended to hurt. No irony. And that's why I apologize.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 12:11:02 PM
Poejoe did not use .... in the wrong context.

He used it in the context of a site where the terms of service forbid it.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
cjl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 1:40:49 PM
At 7/18/2010 12:05:42 PM, PoeJoe wrote:

Of course you should.

Those holocaust jokes are clearly anti-Nazi... after you think through the irony, you're supposed to be disgusted at the Nazi officer... I really doubt the speaker of the joke intended you to *LIKE* the Nazi officer.

My usage of "f*ggot," however, was intended to hurt. No irony. And that's why I apologize.

Don'y get too worked up. You are sorry, and orgiven. Just tone down te opinions, and we'll be fine.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 2:12:47 PM
At 7/18/2010 12:11:02 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

I sometimes forget your Libertarianism overrides your awesomeness.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 2:18:49 PM
At 7/18/2010 9:30:40 AM, innomen wrote:

Of course you should.

okay, so to a certain extent i agree with you. However, i really don't see a whole lot of nazi's on this site...well mostly. That word is personally offensive to me, and to others as well. To whom am i offending with a joke about nazi's? If i have offended someone, i would agree with you, truly.

Yeah, and Holocaust jokes are offensive to the entire Jewish race. Holocaust aren't just jokes about Nazi's. It belittles Jews, and the horrors of the Holocaust.

For example, what's the difference between a Jew and a Pizza? A pizza doesn't scream when you put it in an oven.

A bit like saying what's the difference between a gay an a dog? A dog doesn't make a fuss if they can't marry.

See what I did there?

Second, the use of that word in the correct context, i.e. with true and accurate intent in its result, is especially offensive. Context and appropriate use is an odd criticism particularly for PJ, of which i never accused.

Cjl was being a troll. An especially annoying one. Trolls feed on attention. He doesn't care the fact he was called a faggot, only that he got all this attention from it.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 2:19:49 PM
At 7/18/2010 12:05:42 PM, PoeJoe wrote:

Of course you should.

See post above. Holocaust jokes aren't just making fun of Nazi's.

Intended to hurt someone who doesn't care if they're hurt......apology not needed.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 2:22:27 PM
Being mean to someone is wrong, and PJ was right for apologizing. And btw "jew" isn't a race.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 2:22:45 PM
At 7/18/2010 2:18:49 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Of course you should.

Yeah, and Holocaust jokes are offensive to the entire Jewish race. Holocaust aren't just jokes about Nazi's. It belittles Jews, and the horrors of the Holocaust.
No it doesn't, and you are wrong.

For example, what's the difference between a Jew and a Pizza? A pizza doesn't scream when you put it in an oven.

A bit like saying what's the difference between a gay an a dog? A dog doesn't make a fuss if they can't marry.

See what I did there?
Yeah, so clever.

Cjl was being a troll. An especially annoying one. Trolls feed on attention. He doesn't care the fact he was called a faggot, only that he got all this attention from it.
You're right, i shouldn't be responding.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 2:23:39 PM
At 7/18/2010 2:22:27 PM, lovelife wrote:
Being mean to someone is wrong, and PJ was right for apologizing. And btw "jew" isn't a race.

They consider themselves an an ethnic group and a religion.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 2:25:34 PM
At 7/18/2010 2:23:39 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

That makes little sense.
Strikeeagle84015
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 2:26:36 PM
Jews are an ethnicity not a race how does that sound?
: At 8/17/2010 7:17:56 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
: Hey dawg, i herd you like evangelical trolls so we put a bible thumper in yo bible thumper so you can troll while you troll!

Arguing with an atheist about God is very similar to arguing with a blind man about what the Sistine Chapel looks like
Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
The only way I will stop believing in God is if he appeared before me and told me that he did not exist.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 2:26:45 PM
At 7/18/2010 2:25:34 PM, lovelife wrote:
At 7/18/2010 2:23:39 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

That makes little sense.

http://en.wikipedia.org...
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 2:28:04 PM
At 7/18/2010 2:26:36 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:

Meh, I thought it was just a religion.
Strikeeagle84015
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 2:29:41 PM
At 7/18/2010 2:28:04 PM, lovelife wrote:

They are both
: At 8/17/2010 7:17:56 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
: Hey dawg, i herd you like evangelical trolls so we put a bible thumper in yo bible thumper so you can troll while you troll!

Arguing with an atheist about God is very similar to arguing with a blind man about what the Sistine Chapel looks like
Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
The only way I will stop believing in God is if he appeared before me and told me that he did not exist.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 2:30:10 PM
At 7/18/2010 2:22:45 PM, innomen wrote:
At 7/18/2010 2:18:49 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Of course you should.

No it doesn't, and you are wrong.

Walk into your local Synagogue and crack a Holocuast joke. See how that goes.

You're right, i shouldn't be responding.

I c wat u did dar.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 2:56:13 PM
At 7/18/2010 2:29:41 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
At 7/18/2010 2:28:04 PM, lovelife wrote:

They are both

Okay so I was wrong I guess. I don't really know a whole lot about stuff. I thought religion was just religion lmao.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 3:05:24 PM
At 7/18/2010 2:12:47 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Imagine this guy saying what I said. Problem solved.

vhttp://beshir.org...
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 3:07:22 PM
I read that last thread of PoeJoe's and thought "what a storm in a teacup".

This is an Internet site, not a pub. Anything goes. right?

By the way, in England "f@ggots" are pork and rind meatballs and "f@gs" are cigarettes!

I can't believe I had to use the @ symbol to circumvent the profanities blocker - demure, respectable old ladies use those words all the time here, why shouldn't I?
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 3:07:40 PM
At 7/18/2010 3:05:24 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 7/18/2010 2:12:47 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Imagine this guy saying what I said. Problem solved.

vhttp://beshir.org...

So on teh interwebz you're bipolar?