Total Posts:7|Showing Posts:1-7
Jump to topic:

How do people make home page?

TheJuniorVarsityNovice
Posts: 223
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 12:39:56 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Whether it be the opinion, forum or debate category, how do they make front page? If you look at the debates on the front page, they all have a relatively high number of views and/or comments, but I'm not sure if this is actually just Because they are on the front page. I haven't really tried to find a pattern in the polls section but when I look at the opinions section, the process of choosing a 'front pager' seems fairly random. For instance I recently made an opinion called "is innocents simply lack of knowledge?" which made it onto the front page briefly while it was brand new. So basically I'm not sure if the Mods chose based on their preference of if the site has a process of choosing based on popularity or randomly...ect. Anybody know the answer?
Zaradi
Posts: 14,127
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 10:49:31 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
For debates at least it's a mixture of views and comments, which more weight being on comments I believe.

Opinions and polls don't really matter, since we're purging them off of the site anyway :P
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Posts: 12,398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 11:01:01 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/18/2015 10:49:31 AM, Zaradi wrote:
Opinions and polls don't really matter, since we're purging them off of the site anyway :P

http://quotes.lifehack.org...

(Yes, I actually found a meme on that. I'm getting as good as Ore on this, lol.)
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
Zaradi
Posts: 14,127
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 11:03:16 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/18/2015 11:01:01 AM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
At 3/18/2015 10:49:31 AM, Zaradi wrote:
Opinions and polls don't really matter, since we're purging them off of the site anyway :P

http://quotes.lifehack.org...

(Yes, I actually found a meme on that. I'm getting as good as Ore on this, lol.)

...
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Posts: 12,398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 11:05:23 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/18/2015 11:03:16 AM, Zaradi wrote:
At 3/18/2015 11:01:01 AM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
At 3/18/2015 10:49:31 AM, Zaradi wrote:
Opinions and polls don't really matter, since we're purging them off of the site anyway :P

http://quotes.lifehack.org...

(Yes, I actually found a meme on that. I'm getting as good as Ore on this, lol.)

...

http://www.troll.me...

Okay, I'll stop, lol.

But you have to admit that the polls/opinions section is the epicenter of suffering. That joke was too easy.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
TheJuniorVarsityNovice
Posts: 223
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 2:57:25 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Lol, ok that makes sense. It seems fairly easy to artificially inflate your views by just keeping them in the challenge period for a while though haha
Zaradi
Posts: 14,127
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 3:25:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/18/2015 2:57:25 PM, TheJuniorVarsityNovice wrote:
Lol, ok that makes sense. It seems fairly easy to artificially inflate your views by just keeping them in the challenge period for a while though haha

That and there are actually websites that you can plug the url of the debate into it and it creates a tab that autorefreshes every like 4 seconds or something so you can literally just viewspam your debate. It used to be entirely views based and so people would do this to bump really trollish debates to the front page. Got fixed eventually and now it's almost entirely comment based (I think views still kinda factor in but not sure).
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...