Jump to topic:

Kind of a stupid question

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2010 2:27:26 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
So...when i look at the different people that vote on a debate, i generally have never known most of them. I don't recognize them at all. Now it could be that some just don't participate in the forums, or...yeah something more obvious and i'm being an idiot.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2010 2:29:35 PM
At 7/19/2010 2:28:24 PM, wjmelements wrote:
n00bs vote a lot. Most n00bs don't post in the forums. 1+1=2.

so help me out, what is a n00b?
cjl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2010 2:31:53 PM
At 7/19/2010 2:29:35 PM, innomen wrote:
At 7/19/2010 2:28:24 PM, wjmelements wrote:
n00bs vote a lot. Most n00bs don't post in the forums. 1+1=2.

so help me out, what is a n00b?

Me:) jk idk
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2010 2:53:12 PM
Yeah, n00bz also tend to vote seven down the line of whoever they agree with after the debate, which means that n00bz have more votes AND have higher-weighted votes than more experienced members. It throws voting almost completely out of whack. That, and more experienced vote-bombers.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2010 2:59:44 PM
At 7/19/2010 2:53:12 PM, mongeese wrote:
Yeah, n00bz also tend to vote seven down the line of whoever they agree with after the debate, which means that n00bz have more votes AND have higher-weighted votes than more experienced members. It throws voting almost completely out of whack. That, and more experienced vote-bombers.

So it's not people with multiple user ID's?
Strikeeagle84015
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2010 3:01:25 PM
At 7/19/2010 2:59:44 PM, innomen wrote:

I think Phil just goes around and sets the debates to whatever he wants :-) jk
: At 8/17/2010 7:17:56 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
: Hey dawg, i herd you like evangelical trolls so we put a bible thumper in yo bible thumper so you can troll while you troll!

Arguing with an atheist about God is very similar to arguing with a blind man about what the Sistine Chapel looks like
Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
The only way I will stop believing in God is if he appeared before me and told me that he did not exist.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2010 3:03:35 PM
At 7/19/2010 3:01:25 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:

hahaha
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2010 3:04:29 PM
At 7/19/2010 3:01:25 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:

Seeing his profile, and the way the votes go, i don't think so.
Strikeeagle84015
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2010 3:07:10 PM
If you honestly want to know why the voting is the way it is as soon as people see who pro and con are and what the issue is they have already made up their mind about exactly what their votes are going to be. However because of the way humanity thinks the voters are convinced beyond a doubt that rationally and logically thought who they should vote for and nothing can convince them otherwise. That is why I think voting is ridiculous.
: Hey dawg, i herd you like evangelical trolls so we put a bible thumper in yo bible thumper so you can troll while you troll!

Arguing with an atheist about God is very similar to arguing with a blind man about what the Sistine Chapel looks like
Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
The only way I will stop believing in God is if he appeared before me and told me that he did not exist.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2010 3:11:01 PM
At 7/19/2010 3:07:10 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
If you honestly want to know why the voting is the way it is as soon as people see who pro and con are and what the issue is they have already made up their mind about exactly what their votes are going to be. However because of the way humanity thinks the voters are convinced beyond a doubt that rationally and logically thought who they should vote for and nothing can convince them otherwise. That is why I think voting is ridiculous.

I don't think the majority of common forum surfers vote that way. The n00bs maybe.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Strikeeagle84015
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2010 3:12:03 PM
At 7/19/2010 3:11:01 PM, FREEDO wrote:

I don't think the majority of common forum surfers vote that way. The n00bs maybe.

No this is true of all humanity everywhere, we just think we make decision based on logic and reason. The reality though is far from that

Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2010 3:13:10 PM

A couple you can count on doing that, but most are the ones who i have no idea as to their identity.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2010 3:15:52 PM
At 7/19/2010 3:12:03 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:

No this is true of all humanity everywhere, we just think we make decision based on logic and reason. The reality though is far from that

People often vote for who they think did the better debating even though they disagree.

Debates have also often changed people's minds.

I voted against myself in my own debate once.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Strikeeagle84015
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2010 3:16:44 PM
At 7/19/2010 3:15:52 PM, FREEDO wrote:

People often vote for who they think did the better debating even though they disagree.

I didn't say that people always vote according to their prejudices just that in the first probably 15 secs of a debate they have already made up their mind

Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2010 3:19:49 PM
At 7/19/2010 3:16:44 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:

I didn't say that people always vote according to their prejudices just that in the first probably 15 secs of a debate they have already made up their mind

No, now you're changing your story. I'm not going to judge but it may be possible you only made your original statement in an attempt to justify your own actions.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Strikeeagle84015
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2010 3:23:31 PM
At 7/19/2010 3:19:49 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/19/2010 3:16:44 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:

No, now you're changing your story. I'm not going to judge but it may be possible you only made your original statement in an attempt to justify your own actions.

Okay maybe I changed the time, but I have never voted unless my opponent in a debate has. Except I sometimes do vote against myself I have nothing to justify

Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2010 3:25:04 PM

Some are. I've also seen lots of accounts that don't debate much or at all, but seem to stick around voting for certain people and against certain people.

Has anyone else ever been vote-bombed by LaSalle, numa, or Lwerd? They're perfect examples.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2010 3:06:47 AM
At 7/19/2010 3:25:04 PM, mongeese wrote:
Has anyone else ever been vote-bombed by LaSalle, numa, or Lwerd? They're perfect examples.
theLwerd and Vi_Veri in my first debate on the site. I know it because the votes are visible now.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2010 10:51:07 AM
I think it's likely that some of the vote bombing is by people who create second accounts for no purpose other than vote bombing, although there also simpletons who don't read the debate and vote based on their strong preconceptions. The evidence is that the vote bombing accounts have virtual no information in their profile and never engage in a debate. New members do tend to hang around awhile before debating, but they tend to fill in some profile info.

I have also noticed that when vote bombers move into a debate, sometimes members who had previously voted will change there votes to counter the bombers.

I had a debate challenge posted not too long ago about press coverage of the Tea Party movement was unfair. The evidence of unfairness was apparently too strong for anyone to take the debate. After a few days, someone created an account, accepted the challenge, then closed the account. That takes down the challenge without having to do any actual debating.

It's just a suspicion on my part that a fair percentage of vote bombers are second accounts; I don't have any hard data.