Total Posts:61|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Yelp and business.

Mikal
Posts: 11,268
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 6:55:38 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
The last month or two has been interesting. I found myself in a position where I'm having to manage an entire business. The owner is gone a lot so his brother and I run the company website and the store. Along with doing accounting, finance, and marketing I also do sales. As part of the marketing I ran into yelp. Customers were posting reviews and the good ones were being yanked and a ex associate that I fired started spamming bad reviews. The bad reviews were sticking and the good ones were getting moved down to the non relevant spot and were not showing because it was from a 1 time user.

I get a call from yelp saying bad reviews affect your business. They noted they were yanking the good reviews because they were one time users and because the other person was spamming reviews actively so it would stick. They even confirmed it was the same ip.

Then I get the "for 199 a month well pull all your 5 star reviews back up the top and delete any bad reviews. Well even manage your fb and guarantee you get 40 percent more hits".

Evil just pure evil lol. They bypass their own policy if you pay them lol. Holding reviews and using bad ones as a way to ensure you pay them. A demonic but genius business tactic.
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,354
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 6:56:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/18/2015 6:55:38 PM, Mikal wrote:
Why is this in this forum?
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Mikal
Posts: 11,268
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 7:05:55 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/18/2015 6:56:47 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 3/18/2015 6:55:38 PM, Mikal wrote:
Why is this in this forum?

Because I never have caree where I post stuff. There is such a fine line between what can go here and what can't
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,098
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 7:10:43 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/18/2015 6:55:38 PM, Mikal wrote:
The last month or two has been interesting. I found myself in a position where I'm having to manage an entire business. The owner is gone a lot so his brother and I run the company website and the store. Along with doing accounting, finance, and marketing I also do sales. As part of the marketing I ran into yelp. Customers were posting reviews and the good ones were being yanked and a ex associate that I fired started spamming bad reviews. The bad reviews were sticking and the good ones were getting moved down to the non relevant spot and were not showing because it was from a 1 time user.

I get a call from yelp saying bad reviews affect your business. They noted they were yanking the good reviews because they were one time users and because the other person was spamming reviews actively so it would stick. They even confirmed it was the same ip.

Then I get the "for 199 a month well pull all your 5 star reviews back up the top and delete any bad reviews. Well even manage your fb and guarantee you get 40 percent more hits".


Evil just pure evil lol. They bypass their own policy if you pay them lol. Holding reviews and using bad ones as a way to ensure you pay them. A demonic but genius business tactic.

They've supposedly done this a lot.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Mikal
Posts: 11,268
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 7:17:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/18/2015 7:10:43 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 3/18/2015 6:55:38 PM, Mikal wrote:
The last month or two has been interesting. I found myself in a position where I'm having to manage an entire business. The owner is gone a lot so his brother and I run the company website and the store. Along with doing accounting, finance, and marketing I also do sales. As part of the marketing I ran into yelp. Customers were posting reviews and the good ones were being yanked and a ex associate that I fired started spamming bad reviews. The bad reviews were sticking and the good ones were getting moved down to the non relevant spot and were not showing because it was from a 1 time user.

I get a call from yelp saying bad reviews affect your business. They noted they were yanking the good reviews because they were one time users and because the other person was spamming reviews actively so it would stick. They even confirmed it was the same ip.

Then I get the "for 199 a month well pull all your 5 star reviews back up the top and delete any bad reviews. Well even manage your fb and guarantee you get 40 percent more hits".


Evil just pure evil lol. They bypass their own policy if you pay them lol. Holding reviews and using bad ones as a way to ensure you pay them. A demonic but genius business tactic.

They've supposedly done this a lot.

It's sadistically smart dude
Raisor
Posts: 4,459
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 7:30:22 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Yelp's actual practices are complicated, but it doesn't remove negative reviews for companies that pay a fee. They may promote positive reviews for advertising partners and they do promise that if you pay a fee Yelp will not show competitor's ads on your page.

I don't think Yelp is at all a trustworthy company. Honestly my experiences at venues doesn't correlate well to yelp reviews. I just try new places and judge for myself if it's good or not.

Anyways I'm kind of skeptical that Yelp is shaking you down quite like you described it, but they are kinda shady. Just promote locally and you'll be fine. Yelp reviews don't matter if you have a good local reputation. If my friend recommends a restaurant I don't care what Yelp has to say.
WillYouMarryMe
Posts: 247
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 7:34:10 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/18/2015 6:56:47 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 3/18/2015 6:55:38 PM, Mikal wrote:
Why is this in this forum?

Who cares?
Mikal
Posts: 11,268
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 7:36:25 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/18/2015 7:30:22 PM, Raisor wrote:
Yelp's actual practices are complicated, but it doesn't remove negative reviews for companies that pay a fee. They may promote positive reviews for advertising partners and they do promise that if you pay a fee Yelp will not show competitor's ads on your page.

I don't think Yelp is at all a trustworthy company. Honestly my experiences at venues doesn't correlate well to yelp reviews. I just try new places and judge for myself if it's good or not.

Anyways I'm kind of skeptical that Yelp is shaking you down quite like you described it, but they are kinda shady. Just promote locally and you'll be fine. Yelp reviews don't matter if you have a good local reputation. If my friend recommends a restaurant I don't care what Yelp has to say.

I recorded the entire call for refund purposes. If you want it I can try and pull it off our system. That was word for word.

"We will delete any bad reviews and keep all 5 star ones"

I generally would not care wither but its tied in our website. People Google our product (targeted area via organic results) our website pops up. They look and yelp is right below it.

I ask people when they come in how did they near about us. 60 percent or so they saw the website and reviews. I keep a tally of how they hear. Most are from the net , website, and review places while the rest just seen our signs. That is a reflection of our total sales number though
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 7:48:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/18/2015 7:30:22 PM, Raisor wrote:
Yelp's actual practices are complicated, but it doesn't remove negative reviews for companies that pay a fee. They may promote positive reviews for advertising partners and they do promise that if you pay a fee Yelp will not show competitor's ads on your page.

I don't think Yelp is at all a trustworthy company. Honestly my experiences at venues doesn't correlate well to yelp reviews. I just try new places and judge for myself if it's good or not.

Anyways I'm kind of skeptical that Yelp is shaking you down quite like you described it, but they are kinda shady. Just promote locally and you'll be fine. Yelp reviews don't matter if you have a good local reputation. If my friend recommends a restaurant I don't care what Yelp has to say.

Yelp does, in fact, do something similar to what Mikal is describing. Whether they actually fulfill on that promise or not, I don't know. In fact, it isn't really that different than the BBB.
It's all extortion because the layperson doesn't understand business.
My work here is, finally, done.
Mikal
Posts: 11,268
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 7:56:31 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/18/2015 7:48:27 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 3/18/2015 7:30:22 PM, Raisor wrote:
Yelp's actual practices are complicated, but it doesn't remove negative reviews for companies that pay a fee. They may promote positive reviews for advertising partners and they do promise that if you pay a fee Yelp will not show competitor's ads on your page.

I don't think Yelp is at all a trustworthy company. Honestly my experiences at venues doesn't correlate well to yelp reviews. I just try new places and judge for myself if it's good or not.

Anyways I'm kind of skeptical that Yelp is shaking you down quite like you described it, but they are kinda shady. Just promote locally and you'll be fine. Yelp reviews don't matter if you have a good local reputation. If my friend recommends a restaurant I don't care what Yelp has to say.

Yelp does, in fact, do something similar to what Mikal is describing. Whether they actually fulfill on that promise or not, I don't know. In fact, it isn't really that different than the BBB.
It's all extortion because the layperson doesn't understand business.

BBB at least has basic regs and stips. If a report is filed against you they at least follow up, even if they give you a break. Yelp is just like screw our system, pay us and well boost your rating and delete reviews.
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 7:58:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/18/2015 6:56:47 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 3/18/2015 6:55:38 PM, Mikal wrote:
Why is this in this forum?

Because Mikal doesn't care about anyone or anything but himself.
Mikal
Posts: 11,268
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 7:59:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/18/2015 7:58:27 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 3/18/2015 6:56:47 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 3/18/2015 6:55:38 PM, Mikal wrote:
Why is this in this forum?

Because Mikal doesn't care about anyone or anything but himself.

If I didn't care I would not interact with people, i just don't care where I post stuff. No one else does so why should I
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 8:02:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/18/2015 7:56:31 PM, Mikal wrote:

BBB at least has basic regs and stips. If a report is filed against you they at least follow up, even if they give you a break. Yelp is just like screw our system, pay us and well boost your rating and delete reviews.

IIRC, BBB makes you pay before you can address complaints. In other words, people can complain about you to the BBB, but if you are not a member, you cannot defend yourself on the website.
My work here is, finally, done.
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 8:03:12 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/18/2015 7:59:33 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 3/18/2015 7:58:27 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 3/18/2015 6:56:47 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 3/18/2015 6:55:38 PM, Mikal wrote:
Why is this in this forum?

Because Mikal doesn't care about anyone or anything but himself.

If I didn't care I would not interact with people, i just don't care where I post stuff. No one else does so why should I

Plenty of people care where things go. Airmax has made a huge deal about it.
Mikal
Posts: 11,268
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 8:03:41 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/18/2015 8:02:00 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 3/18/2015 7:56:31 PM, Mikal wrote:

BBB at least has basic regs and stips. If a report is filed against you they at least follow up, even if they give you a break. Yelp is just like screw our system, pay us and well boost your rating and delete reviews.

IIRC, BBB makes you pay before you can address complaints. In other words, people can complain about you to the BBB, but if you are not a member, you cannot defend yourself on the website.

Nm I just got what you are saying. Th bbc will close the complaints where as if your not with them the complaints are left open which makes you look bad.

Good point , it is the same
Mikal
Posts: 11,268
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 8:05:32 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/18/2015 8:03:12 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 3/18/2015 7:59:33 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 3/18/2015 7:58:27 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 3/18/2015 6:56:47 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 3/18/2015 6:55:38 PM, Mikal wrote:
Why is this in this forum?

Because Mikal doesn't care about anyone or anything but himself.

If I didn't care I would not interact with people, i just don't care where I post stuff. No one else does so why should I

Plenty of people care where things go. Airmax has made a huge deal about it.

Tell that to the 15 bump threads, muscle relax post, and the other various things. At least this is halfway applicable to something. When he tells me to chill on stuff I will, but this at least has contextual value so until I start spamming like others, I'm sure it won't matter much.
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 8:07:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/18/2015 8:05:32 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 3/18/2015 8:03:12 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 3/18/2015 7:59:33 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 3/18/2015 7:58:27 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 3/18/2015 6:56:47 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 3/18/2015 6:55:38 PM, Mikal wrote:
Why is this in this forum?

Because Mikal doesn't care about anyone or anything but himself.

If I didn't care I would not interact with people, i just don't care where I post stuff. No one else does so why should I

Plenty of people care where things go. Airmax has made a huge deal about it.

Tell that to the 15 bump threads, muscle relax post, and the other various things. At least this is halfway applicable to something. When he tells me to chill on stuff I will, but this at least has contextual value so until I start spamming like others, I'm sure it won't matter much.

I'm sure everyone would be happy to give you help with this Yelp business. Not like helping you has ever backfired in the past.
Raisor
Posts: 4,459
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 8:14:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/18/2015 7:36:25 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 3/18/2015 7:30:22 PM, Raisor wrote:
Yelp's actual practices are complicated, but it doesn't remove negative reviews for companies that pay a fee. They may promote positive reviews for advertising partners and they do promise that if you pay a fee Yelp will not show competitor's ads on your page.

I don't think Yelp is at all a trustworthy company. Honestly my experiences at venues doesn't correlate well to yelp reviews. I just try new places and judge for myself if it's good or not.

Anyways I'm kind of skeptical that Yelp is shaking you down quite like you described it, but they are kinda shady. Just promote locally and you'll be fine. Yelp reviews don't matter if you have a good local reputation. If my friend recommends a restaurant I don't care what Yelp has to say.

I recorded the entire call for refund purposes. If you want it I can try and pull it off our system. That was word for word.

"We will delete any bad reviews and keep all 5 star ones"


I generally would not care wither but its tied in our website. People Google our product (targeted area via organic results) our website pops up. They look and yelp is right below it.

I ask people when they come in how did they near about us. 60 percent or so they saw the website and reviews. I keep a tally of how they hear. Most are from the net , website, and review places while the rest just seen our signs. That is a reflection of our total sales number though

Dude if you actually have that, definitely post it. I could see that going viral like the Comcast recording a while ago. Seriously post it if you have it, I'm sure thousands of small business owners would thank you. Bleep any identifying names though, for obvious reasons....
Mikal
Posts: 11,268
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 8:14:16 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/18/2015 8:07:28 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 3/18/2015 8:05:32 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 3/18/2015 8:03:12 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 3/18/2015 7:59:33 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 3/18/2015 7:58:27 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 3/18/2015 6:56:47 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 3/18/2015 6:55:38 PM, Mikal wrote:
Why is this in this forum?

Because Mikal doesn't care about anyone or anything but himself.

If I didn't care I would not interact with people, i just don't care where I post stuff. No one else does so why should I

Plenty of people care where things go. Airmax has made a huge deal about it.

Tell that to the 15 bump threads, muscle relax post, and the other various things. At least this is halfway applicable to something. When he tells me to chill on stuff I will, but this at least has contextual value so until I start spamming like others, I'm sure it won't matter much.

I'm sure everyone would be happy to give you help with this Yelp business. Not like helping you has ever backfired in the past.

It's not helping me in anyway, I was posting an experience. Almost Everyone that has helped me I'm on good terms with and I am grateful too. My antics with my time restrictions and the presidency has nothing to do with the gratitude that I have for what people did for me. A donation is a donation for a reason, it's to show charity and kindness. That donation got me to where I am now. So yes I'm beyond words with gratitude For what people did for me. If I wasn't grateful I would have just took money and dipped, yet I still do what I can with my one hour a day on here.

So if you will kindly fuk off and stop stalking everyone of my posts I will be grateful. If I wanted to converse with you, I would mak an effort. Go dick ride someone that cares
Mikal
Posts: 11,268
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 8:15:23 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/18/2015 8:14:04 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 3/18/2015 7:36:25 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 3/18/2015 7:30:22 PM, Raisor wrote:
Yelp's actual practices are complicated, but it doesn't remove negative reviews for companies that pay a fee. They may promote positive reviews for advertising partners and they do promise that if you pay a fee Yelp will not show competitor's ads on your page.

I don't think Yelp is at all a trustworthy company. Honestly my experiences at venues doesn't correlate well to yelp reviews. I just try new places and judge for myself if it's good or not.

Anyways I'm kind of skeptical that Yelp is shaking you down quite like you described it, but they are kinda shady. Just promote locally and you'll be fine. Yelp reviews don't matter if you have a good local reputation. If my friend recommends a restaurant I don't care what Yelp has to say.

I recorded the entire call for refund purposes. If you want it I can try and pull it off our system. That was word for word.

"We will delete any bad reviews and keep all 5 star ones"


I generally would not care wither but its tied in our website. People Google our product (targeted area via organic results) our website pops up. They look and yelp is right below it.

I ask people when they come in how did they near about us. 60 percent or so they saw the website and reviews. I keep a tally of how they hear. Most are from the net , website, and review places while the rest just seen our signs. That is a reflection of our total sales number though

Dude if you actually have that, definitely post it. I could see that going viral like the Comcast recording a while ago. Seriously post it if you have it, I'm sure thousands of small business owners would thank you. Bleep any identifying names though, for obvious reasons....

That is word for word , but is that even legal to post? He told me he was recording it so I just flipped on our system.
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 8:20:48 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/18/2015 8:14:16 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 3/18/2015 8:07:28 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 3/18/2015 8:05:32 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 3/18/2015 8:03:12 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 3/18/2015 7:59:33 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 3/18/2015 7:58:27 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 3/18/2015 6:56:47 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 3/18/2015 6:55:38 PM, Mikal wrote:
Why is this in this forum?

Because Mikal doesn't care about anyone or anything but himself.

If I didn't care I would not interact with people, i just don't care where I post stuff. No one else does so why should I

Plenty of people care where things go. Airmax has made a huge deal about it.

Tell that to the 15 bump threads, muscle relax post, and the other various things. At least this is halfway applicable to something. When he tells me to chill on stuff I will, but this at least has contextual value so until I start spamming like others, I'm sure it won't matter much.

I'm sure everyone would be happy to give you help with this Yelp business. Not like helping you has ever backfired in the past.

It's not helping me in anyway, I was posting an experience. Almost Everyone that has helped me I'm on good terms with and I am grateful too.

Amazing, isn't that? Imagine if they knew how you tried to emotionally manipulate everyone during your campaign, including me.

My antics with my time restrictions and the presidency has nothing to do with the gratitude that I have for what people did for me. A donation is a donation for a reason, it's to show charity and kindness. That donation got me to where I am now. So yes I'm beyond words with gratitude For what people did for me. If I wasn't grateful I would have just took money and dipped, yet I still do what I can with my one hour a day on here.

If you were grateful, you also show it by, you know, displaying gratitude. By being courteous. By not betraying your friends.

So if you will kindly fuk off and stop stalking everyone of my posts I will be grateful. If I wanted to converse with you, I would mak an effort. Go dick ride someone that cares

I was talking to Annie. You're the one who bristled after that.
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,354
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 8:28:23 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/18/2015 7:59:33 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 3/18/2015 7:58:27 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 3/18/2015 6:56:47 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 3/18/2015 6:55:38 PM, Mikal wrote:
Why is this in this forum?

Because Mikal doesn't care about anyone or anything but himself.

If I didn't care I would not interact with people, i just don't care where I post stuff. No one else does so why should I

"Mummy everyone jumps off a cliff, so why shouldn't I?!"
*jumps off cliff*
*dies*
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Raisor
Posts: 4,459
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 8:28:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/18/2015 8:15:23 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 3/18/2015 8:14:04 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 3/18/2015 7:36:25 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 3/18/2015 7:30:22 PM, Raisor wrote:
Yelp's actual practices are complicated, but it doesn't remove negative reviews for companies that pay a fee. They may promote positive reviews for advertising partners and they do promise that if you pay a fee Yelp will not show competitor's ads on your page.

I don't think Yelp is at all a trustworthy company. Honestly my experiences at venues doesn't correlate well to yelp reviews. I just try new places and judge for myself if it's good or not.

Anyways I'm kind of skeptical that Yelp is shaking you down quite like you described it, but they are kinda shady. Just promote locally and you'll be fine. Yelp reviews don't matter if you have a good local reputation. If my friend recommends a restaurant I don't care what Yelp has to say.

I recorded the entire call for refund purposes. If you want it I can try and pull it off our system. That was word for word.

"We will delete any bad reviews and keep all 5 star ones"


I generally would not care wither but its tied in our website. People Google our product (targeted area via organic results) our website pops up. They look and yelp is right below it.

I ask people when they come in how did they near about us. 60 percent or so they saw the website and reviews. I keep a tally of how they hear. Most are from the net , website, and review places while the rest just seen our signs. That is a reflection of our total sales number though

Dude if you actually have that, definitely post it. I could see that going viral like the Comcast recording a while ago. Seriously post it if you have it, I'm sure thousands of small business owners would thank you. Bleep any identifying names though, for obvious reasons....



That is word for word , but is that even legal to post? He told me he was recording it so I just flipped on our system.

It may or may not be legal. It's ambiguous and depends on state law. It's unlikely that a company would challenge you either way, especially a super high profile company like Yelp, since doing so would just bring more attention to the issue and make them look bad. Here's an article on the Comcast case:

http://www.dailydot.com...

Some states require both parties to consent to publishing recording calls, but since they stated they are recording the call, there is solid ground to argue they consent to being recorded.

If Yelp actually said what you claim they said, it could be a big deal since the Federal Trade Commission has investigated them a few times over allegations of manipulating reviews in exchange for money. That's extortion and it is illegal.

Now that I've offered my professional legal opinion, I summon bluesteel to come and disprove me.
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,354
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 8:29:03 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I find it irritable that posts like these, or YYW's random post get left up, but EDeath's competition got removed. -_-
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 8:30:02 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/18/2015 7:36:25 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 3/18/2015 7:30:22 PM, Raisor wrote:
Yelp's actual practices are complicated, but it doesn't remove negative reviews for companies that pay a fee. They may promote positive reviews for advertising partners and they do promise that if you pay a fee Yelp will not show competitor's ads on your page.

I don't think Yelp is at all a trustworthy company. Honestly my experiences at venues doesn't correlate well to yelp reviews. I just try new places and judge for myself if it's good or not.

Anyways I'm kind of skeptical that Yelp is shaking you down quite like you described it, but they are kinda shady. Just promote locally and you'll be fine. Yelp reviews don't matter if you have a good local reputation. If my friend recommends a restaurant I don't care what Yelp has to say.

I recorded the entire call for refund purposes. If you want it I can try and pull it off our system. That was word for word.

"We will delete any bad reviews and keep all 5 star ones"

Save that recording... Yelp should have been sued by now for this; I assume the only reason why is lack of evidence.

Like Raisor said, corporate policy is not to guarantee that bad reviews get deleted and good ones stay; they have some complicated official position about their algorithms. What their salespeople say though is I'm sure very different from their official position. This isn't the first time I've heard stories of shakedowns.



I generally would not care wither but its tied in our website. People Google our product (targeted area via organic results) our website pops up. They look and yelp is right below it.

I ask people when they come in how did they near about us. 60 percent or so they saw the website and reviews. I keep a tally of how they hear. Most are from the net , website, and review places while the rest just seen our signs. That is a reflection of our total sales number though
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 8:32:15 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/18/2015 8:28:23 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 3/18/2015 7:59:33 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 3/18/2015 7:58:27 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 3/18/2015 6:56:47 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 3/18/2015 6:55:38 PM, Mikal wrote:
Why is this in this forum?

Because Mikal doesn't care about anyone or anything but himself.

If I didn't care I would not interact with people, i just don't care where I post stuff. No one else does so why should I

"Mummy everyone jumps off a cliff, so why shouldn't I?!"
*jumps off cliff*
*dies*

Well said. You're so delightfully intelligent. <3
Raisor
Posts: 4,459
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 8:32:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/18/2015 8:28:23 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 3/18/2015 7:59:33 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 3/18/2015 7:58:27 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 3/18/2015 6:56:47 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 3/18/2015 6:55:38 PM, Mikal wrote:
Why is this in this forum?

Because Mikal doesn't care about anyone or anything but himself.

If I didn't care I would not interact with people, i just don't care where I post stuff. No one else does so why should I

"Mummy everyone jumps off a cliff, so why shouldn't I?!"
*jumps off cliff*
*dies*

I don't get why jumping off a cliff gets such a bad rap. I've done it like twice and I'm fine.
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,354
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 8:35:37 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/18/2015 8:32:20 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 3/18/2015 8:28:23 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 3/18/2015 7:59:33 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 3/18/2015 7:58:27 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 3/18/2015 6:56:47 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 3/18/2015 6:55:38 PM, Mikal wrote:
Why is this in this forum?

Because Mikal doesn't care about anyone or anything but himself.

If I didn't care I would not interact with people, i just don't care where I post stuff. No one else does so why should I

"Mummy everyone jumps off a cliff, so why shouldn't I?!"
*jumps off cliff*
*dies*

I don't get why jumping off a cliff gets such a bad rap. I've done it like twice and I'm fine.

I'm sure jumping off a cliff makes a great rap. :-)
Especially when you smash into the ground and they have to put a wrap for your bodily injuries :D
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 8:39:13 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/18/2015 8:28:33 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 3/18/2015 8:15:23 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 3/18/2015 8:14:04 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 3/18/2015 7:36:25 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 3/18/2015 7:30:22 PM, Raisor wrote:
Yelp's actual practices are complicated, but it doesn't remove negative reviews for companies that pay a fee. They may promote positive reviews for advertising partners and they do promise that if you pay a fee Yelp will not show competitor's ads on your page.

I don't think Yelp is at all a trustworthy company. Honestly my experiences at venues doesn't correlate well to yelp reviews. I just try new places and judge for myself if it's good or not.

Anyways I'm kind of skeptical that Yelp is shaking you down quite like you described it, but they are kinda shady. Just promote locally and you'll be fine. Yelp reviews don't matter if you have a good local reputation. If my friend recommends a restaurant I don't care what Yelp has to say.

I recorded the entire call for refund purposes. If you want it I can try and pull it off our system. That was word for word.

"We will delete any bad reviews and keep all 5 star ones"


I generally would not care wither but its tied in our website. People Google our product (targeted area via organic results) our website pops up. They look and yelp is right below it.

I ask people when they come in how did they near about us. 60 percent or so they saw the website and reviews. I keep a tally of how they hear. Most are from the net , website, and review places while the rest just seen our signs. That is a reflection of our total sales number though

Dude if you actually have that, definitely post it. I could see that going viral like the Comcast recording a while ago. Seriously post it if you have it, I'm sure thousands of small business owners would thank you. Bleep any identifying names though, for obvious reasons....



That is word for word , but is that even legal to post? He told me he was recording it so I just flipped on our system.

It may or may not be legal. It's ambiguous and depends on state law. It's unlikely that a company would challenge you either way, especially a super high profile company like Yelp, since doing so would just bring more attention to the issue and make them look bad. Here's an article on the Comcast case:

http://www.dailydot.com...

Some states require both parties to consent to publishing recording calls, but since they stated they are recording the call, there is solid ground to argue they consent to being recorded.

If Yelp actually said what you claim they said, it could be a big deal since the Federal Trade Commission has investigated them a few times over allegations of manipulating reviews in exchange for money. That's extortion and it is illegal.

Now that I've offered my professional legal opinion, I summon bluesteel to come and disprove me.

It's illegal in California to record someone without his consent. I don't know about Alabama. Just because I record the conversation does not meant that I consent to you recording the conversation because I have control over my copy of the recording, not yours. But California has one of the most comprehensive laws about recording.

And yeah, threatening not to remove bad reviews or keep good ones unless you get paid: that sounds like extortion. I'm not sure if it changes anything because it's their own website and the reviews are other people's words and not their own. It might. That's criminal law though. Yelp's conduct could be subject to lawsuits under a bunch of theories, most particularly false advertising. Yelp makes consumers think that the reviews on its pages reflect reality, not whether the business has paid a fee to have good reviews stay and bad reviews removed. You could also attack it as an unlawful or anti-competitive business practice. It may even be an antitrust issue if you define the market as being the market for online business reviews. Yelp may be a monopolist, which imposes certain obligations on them not to act uncompetitively (i.e. you could see this as a tying arrangement between their free service and their paid service).
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,354
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 8:40:03 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/18/2015 8:32:15 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 3/18/2015 8:28:23 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 3/18/2015 7:59:33 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 3/18/2015 7:58:27 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 3/18/2015 6:56:47 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 3/18/2015 6:55:38 PM, Mikal wrote:
Why is this in this forum?

Because Mikal doesn't care about anyone or anything but himself.

If I didn't care I would not interact with people, i just don't care where I post stuff. No one else does so why should I

"Mummy everyone jumps off a cliff, so why shouldn't I?!"
*jumps off cliff*
*dies*

Well said. You're so delightfully intelligent. <3

If only you'd have realized sooner...
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.