Jump to topic:

HTML styling option for debate voting.

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2015 9:19:25 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I have been messing with some simple HTML to help format the debate voting block. My current example is shown on this debate

http://www.debate.org...

The HTML looks like this.

Free text. Say what you like about the debate. Some more text, blah-blah-blah.[br/]
[hr/][table][tr]
[td]Agree Before[/td]
[td]Pro[/td]
[td]Reason for vote text[/td]
[/tr][tr]
[td]Agree After[/td]
[td]Pro[/td]
[/tr][tr]
[td]Conduct[/td]
[td]Pro[/td]
[/tr][tr]
[td]Arguments[/td]
[td]Pro[/td]
[/tr][tr]
[td]Sources[/td]
[td]Pro[/td]
[td]Reason for vote text. Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah [/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

I don't know if the HTML above will render, or show as proper HTML. I will repost if it renders.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2015 9:21:20 PM
OK. That is OK. You would need to replace the [ with < and ] with >.

The idea would be to simply save this as a doc on your desktop, and use it as a template. The HTML is not too tough to read through, and may help some people. I know it bugs the he11 out of me that the vote section is so hard to format in any readable way.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2015 9:50:53 PM
It also accepts [pre] What pre will do is format exactly the way you type. That is spaces, tabs, carriage returns. That's how I have the vote in the debate now.

Its a little more straightforward, but not perfect. The biggest issue with the table is that it seems to strip-off the align property, or the style="".

I might try some more examples.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2015 10:04:07 PM
At 3/20/2015 9:55:01 PM, Varrack wrote:
For those of us not familiar with coding...what is this all exactly?

Well, the basic idea, in practice is, you would have a small file on your computer somewhere. Just a text file (it could be word too) with this junk in it. Most of the junk you can just ignore. What you care about is the stuff between the [td]s These are cells in a table.

The first set of [td]s between the [tr] (rows) is a block of the voting.

<hr/><table><tr>
<td>Agree Before</td>
<td>Pro</td>
<td>Reason for vote text</td>
</tr><tr>

So, in that little bit of mess, all you care about changing is the "PRO" and the "Reason for vote text"

Get it? Too much hassle?
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2015 10:08:04 PM
At 3/20/2015 10:04:07 PM, TBR wrote:
At 3/20/2015 9:55:01 PM, Varrack wrote:
For those of us not familiar with coding...what is this all exactly?

Well, the basic idea, in practice is, you would have a small file on your computer somewhere. Just a text file (it could be word too) with this junk in it. Most of the junk you can just ignore. What you care about is the stuff between the [td]s These are cells in a table.

The first set of [td]s between the [tr] (rows) is a block of the voting.

<hr/><table><tr>
<td>Agree Before</td>
<td>Pro</td>
<td>Reason for vote text</td>
</tr><tr>

So, in that little bit of mess, all you care about changing is the "PRO" and the "Reason for vote text"

Get it? Too much hassle?

You want to change some of the captions in the voting section of a debate?
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2015 10:14:10 PM
You want to change some of the captions in the voting section of a debate?

No. My problem and resolution.

Problem: The voting block doesn't allow for the user (voter) to put carriage returns, or any formatting in their vote, so it renders (looks) like one big unformatted block of text.

Resolution: Use some simple HTML tags that the site will accept, and regurgitate when rendering (drawing) the page back.

Another way that seems to work (the way I have your debate right now) is using the [pre] tag. What that does is tell the browser that what comes next is literal. Just display exactly as it was typed. Carriage returns etc. (pre formatted text).

<pre>
Before - Con - Some reason
After - Pro - Another reason
Conduct - Pro - Con was a jerk
</pre>
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2015 10:16:57 PM
As another example of HTML on the site. I have used lots of HTML in this debate

If you look at my references, they are superscript and small. That means the [1] is higher than the text before it, and smaller. It reads nicely. I am doing this with HTML like this;

<sup><small>[1]</small></sup>
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2015 10:31:22 PM
What I am asking, does the vote text look better in my vote, or the other? Is telling others how to do this worth the effort?

Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2015 10:36:38 PM
At 3/20/2015 10:31:22 PM, TBR wrote:
What I am asking, does the vote text look better in my vote, or the other? Is telling others how to do this worth the effort?

It doesn't matter a whole lot to me personally, but I think it'd be kinda cool to learn how to do it.

So I just surround text lines with <hd> via notepad like you demonstrated and then I paste than into the reason for voting?
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2015 10:37:06 PM
At 3/20/2015 10:36:38 PM, Varrack wrote:
At 3/20/2015 10:31:22 PM, TBR wrote:

It doesn't matter a whole lot to me personally, but I think it'd be kinda cool to learn how to do it.

So I just surround text lines with <hd> via notepad like you demonstrated and then I paste than into the reason for voting?

I mean td, not hd.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2015 10:46:47 PM

I think I may write up a complete guide from what I have experimented with in the debate section. That allows for a good deal of HTML and some CSS.

Well, use [pre]. The more I think about it, for general use, it will serve most people well. Really use this.

This is my general feeling about the debate. Some stuff happened, two guys talked about something that I found interesting, and both are completely WRONG![br/]
[br/]
[hr/]
[pre]
Before - Con
After - Pro
Conduct - Pro - He was a nice guy
Etc..etc...
[/pre]

Line by line, what this is doing.
[br/] means - Put a simple carriage return into the text. You need one after the text, and on the blank line under.
[hr/] means - Put a simple line across the page.
[pre] means - everything after this until the [/pre] just display exactly as I have typed it.
[/pre]

Wherever I used "[" or "]" use "<" and ">". I have to substitute so it will NOT render.

Make sense?
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2015 10:50:40 PM
And, just for general info.

What this site (any site) is doing is. They take the stuff you type into these text boxes. They use a bit of backend code to stuff it into a database. When you ask for a page back the page is "built" from a bunch of HTML/CSS that comes from the site, and their code. Then THEN stick in the unique content, say this text, from the database.

If the "stuff" from the database just happens to contain HTML code, the browser has no choice but to render it. So, the only question is, what will the site code try to remove before placing the text into the database, and what site styling is getting applied that I have no control over.
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2015 10:50:43 PM
At 3/20/2015 10:46:47 PM, TBR wrote:

I think I may write up a complete guide from what I have experimented with in the debate section. That allows for a good deal of HTML and some CSS.

Well, use [pre]. The more I think about it, for general use, it will serve most people well. Really use this.

This is my general feeling about the debate. Some stuff happened, two guys talked about something that I found interesting, and both are completely WRONG![br/]
[br/]
[hr/]
[pre]
Before - Con
After - Pro
Conduct - Pro - He was a nice guy
Etc..etc...
[/pre]

Line by line, what this is doing.
[br/] means - Put a simple carriage return into the text. You need one after the text, and on the blank line under.
[hr/] means - Put a simple line across the page.
[pre] means - everything after this until the [/pre] just display exactly as I have typed it.
[/pre]

Wherever I used "[" or "]" use "<" and ">". I have to substitute so it will NOT render.

Make sense?

Uh...sure.
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2015 10:53:38 PM

Would it work if you put a line across a forum reply using <br>?
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2015 10:54:42 PM
At 3/20/2015 10:53:38 PM, Varrack wrote:

Would it work if you put a line across a forum reply using <br>?

I mean hr -_-
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2015 10:55:18 PM
Uh...sure.

Varrack - That is making me very sad. I teach people HTML in a morning who about 1/10 as bright as you. I am failing.
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2015 10:57:01 PM
At 3/20/2015 10:55:18 PM, TBR wrote:
Uh...sure.

Varrack - That is making me very sad. I teach people HTML in a morning who about 1/10 as bright as you. I am failing.

I have never coded before so this is all really new to me lol I don't even know where to start..
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2015 11:21:01 PM
At 3/20/2015 10:55:18 PM, TBR wrote:
Uh...sure.

I think I know step 1: Right-click, Inspect Element (Q). Correct?
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2015 11:32:32 PM

But, if you don't take the debate, yes. Look at the page source. Its not as hard to read as you think.
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2015 11:35:29 PM
At 3/20/2015 11:32:32 PM, TBR wrote:

But, if you don't take the debate, yes. Look at the page source. Its not as hard to read as you think.

I did it! Look at my beautiful HTML vote: http://www.debate.org...
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2015 11:40:21 PM

Close. Replace all the [ with < and the ] with >. I had to do that because of the way the forum interpenetrates the code.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2015 11:48:44 PM
Go to this site. I have posted the code to a shared fiddle

https://jsfiddle.net...

When you get there, click on the "run" button and see it rendered. Then copy and paste the code into the debate vote.
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2015 9:24:00 AM
At 3/20/2015 11:40:21 PM, TBR wrote:

Close. Replace all the [ with < and the ] with >. I had to do that because of the way the forum interpenetrates the code.

Great that's gonna take a while.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2015 9:27:08 AM
At 3/20/2015 9:19:25 PM, TBR wrote:
I have been messing with some simple HTML to help format the debate voting block. My current example is shown on this debate

Free text. Say what you like about the debate. Some more text, blah-blah-blah.[br/]
[hr/][table][tr]
[td]Agree Before[/td]
[td]Pro[/td]
[/tr][tr]
[td]Agree After[/td]
[td]Pro[/td]
[/tr][tr]
[td]Conduct[/td]
[td]Pro[/td]
[/tr][tr]
[td]Arguments[/td]
[td]Pro[/td]
[/tr][tr]
[td]Sources[/td]
[td]Pro[/td]
[td]Reason for vote text. Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah [/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

I don't know if the HTML above will render, or show as proper HTML. I will repost if it renders.

O.o So HTML works in voting?

*cackles*
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2015 9:37:45 AM
At 3/21/2015 9:27:08 AM, RevNge wrote:

[hr/][table][tr]
[td]Agree Before[/td]
[td]Pro[/td]
[/tr][tr]
[td]Agree After[/td]
[td]Pro[/td]
[/tr][tr]
[td]Conduct[/td]
[td]Pro[/td]
[/tr][tr]
[td]Arguments[/td]
[td]Pro[/td]
[/tr][tr]
[td]Sources[/td]
[td]Pro[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

*cackles*

Yep. Look at his vote on this one http://www.debate.org...
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2015 9:38:21 AM
At 3/20/2015 11:40:21 PM, TBR wrote:

I did it. It actually worked this time. It's not as neat as yours but it's something.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2015 9:45:01 AM
At 3/21/2015 9:37:45 AM, Varrack wrote:
At 3/21/2015 9:27:08 AM, RevNge wrote:

[hr/][table][tr]
[td]Agree Before[/td]
[td]Pro[/td]
[/tr][tr]
[td]Agree After[/td]
[td]Pro[/td]
[/tr][tr]
[td]Conduct[/td]
[td]Pro[/td]
[/tr][tr]
[td]Arguments[/td]
[td]Pro[/td]
[/tr][tr]
[td]Sources[/td]
[td]Pro[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

*cackles*

Yep. Look at his vote on this one http://www.debate.org...

OH HELL YES

IT WORKED LOL
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2015 10:15:54 AM

[hr/][table][tr]
[td]Agree Before[/td]
[td]Pro[/td]
[/tr][tr]
[td]Agree After[/td]
[td]Pro[/td]
[/tr][tr]
[td]Conduct[/td]
[td]Pro[/td]
[/tr][tr]
[td]Arguments[/td]
[td]Pro[/td]
[/tr][tr]
[td]Sources[/td]
[td]Pro[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

I wasn't aware that HTML worked at all on this site. Right after joining, I attempted to post an image, and saw only the code.

I have not yet posted in the debate section, but understand the rules are a bit different there, allowing some HTML.

I suppose disabling HTML is a safety measure for the site, but it would be nice if we were allowed to use the basics.
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.