Total Posts:50|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

My thoughts on DDO disrespect...

Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2015 3:16:57 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Hello everyone. Lately I've noticed that there's been a great deal of flame wars and disrespectful language used against one another. I just want to say that I think if there is ever going to be a change to such things, it has to start on the individual level. A few months ago I did something which was incredibly rude to my fellow DDO member. I thought that "calling them out" would be somewhat productive, but in the end it only brought about more issues. The lesson I learned from that experience is that regardless of personal animosity, the public threads aren't the place to express such sentiments. It only leads to more problems and I know this now due to experiencing it first hand. Since then, myself and the other member have made amends, and we can now discuss things constructively. The benefits of which are immeasurable, as we never know what might come from a good conversation with someone else.

Doesn't it suck signing on and wondering if someone attacked you while you were offline? Doesn't it suck to get all worked up over something that could have either been avoided or fixed if we take a few moments to calm down before responding? I reached out and made amends with the person I was beefing with, and to be honest my experiences on DDO have been 100% better since then.

Coming from personal experience, I can attest to the fact that DDO is much more enjoyable when we all get along. Sure, there will always be someone who holds an opposite opinion and there will always be someone who says offensive things, but at the end of the day the choice falls solely on you in regards to how you want to handle it. There are multiple options available, including reaching out to moderation, trying to private message the person for a one-on-one conversation, and of course the option to simply ignore and move on with life. Each of these options would have been better than getting into a flame war, because all that does is suck the energy out of us.

With all that said, change happens first on the individual level. If we all work towards making DDO a friendlier place I'm sure that eventually it'll become one. We're all the same on some fundamental level, be it that we all have emotions or even that we all find a common interest in debating or other activities offered here on DDO. If we build off of our similarities, while also working towards constructive discussions with those who share different beliefs or opinions, I know that we would all have a much better experience here.

I learned the hard way that flame wars and beefing isn't the way to go, and while I fully understand that sometimes we simply meet someone who we could never get along with, the least we can do is attempt to be as civil as possible. This is a place to learn, to grow, to meet like-minded individuals and debate against those who are of different beliefs and opinions. I believe that the moment we all try our hardest to be respectful of one another, the quicker this place will change for the better.

Now I must get back to work since my break is over :) I hope no-one takes offense to this, I just believe that if we can change on an individual level, then DDO will soon follow as a whole.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
thett3
Posts: 14,336
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2015 3:21:18 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
stfu
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2015 3:45:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
what a waste of space
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Garbanza
Posts: 1,997
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2015 3:47:06 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
He gazed up at the enormous face. Forty years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the dark moustache. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother
sadolite
Posts: 8,837
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2015 3:55:26 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
As long as there is anonymity the cowards of the world will use it to be disrespectful as they would never do it to your face.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Posts: 12,398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2015 4:07:30 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Do mass lynch mobs count as disrespect?

How about condemnations of various feline mammals?

(On a serious note, I totally agree with you.)
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2015 5:00:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/26/2015 3:21:18 PM, thett3 wrote:
stfu

WWJD
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Posts: 36,271
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2015 5:09:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I think the OP raises some good points. Last week was probably the hardest week I've had in the past two or three years, and the fact that so many things had gone in ways I didn't want them to go made me really willing to take that out on people who even looked at me the wrong way... that probably wasn't a fair or reasonable thing to do. All's better now, though.

I will say, as well, that I think that I've noticed patterns when people interact with each other that consistently leads to negative things. The negativity isn't something I'm concerned about, but I think that given the choice between interacting with someone with whom it is reasonably foreseeable will end badly and not interacting with that person -the latter is generally the better choice. Perhaps that would generally make things better.
Tsar of DDO
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2015 5:42:42 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
DDO is a microcommunity, so naturally it's going to have its share of douches. Just as in life, you have to be smart about who you choose to engage with. I don't think in my five years here I've ever had bad blood with anybody or engaged in any kind of flame war. You get what you give; if you're getting into a lot of arguments with people, it's probably because you're just the worst lol
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2015 5:44:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/26/2015 5:42:42 PM, Maikuru wrote:
DDO is a microcommunity, so naturally it's going to have its share of douches. Just as in life, you have to be smart about who you choose to engage with. I don't think in my five years here I've ever had bad blood with anybody or engaged in any kind of flame war. You get what you give; if you're getting into a lot of arguments with people, it's probably because you're just the worst lol

6 years* Damn, I need to get the hell outta here.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2015 5:44:48 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
A little disrespect is to be expected on a forum. What is rather sad is when allegedly intelligent individuals continually enter flame wars, and some with multiple people, when there is a very simple alternative. It says much of said individuals, although it is quite a shame they cannot see that for themselves.
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2015 5:46:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/26/2015 5:44:48 PM, Mirza wrote:
A little disrespect is to be expected on a forum. What is rather sad is when allegedly intelligent individuals continually enter flame wars, and some with multiple people, when there is a very simple alternative. It says much of said individuals, although it is quite a shame they cannot see that for themselves.

I know you're talking about me, and I don't appreciate it.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Zaradi
Posts: 14,125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2015 5:47:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/26/2015 5:42:42 PM, Maikuru wrote:
DDO is a microcommunity, so naturally it's going to have its share of douches. Just as in life, you have to be smart about who you choose to engage with. I don't think in my five years here I've ever had bad blood with anybody or engaged in any kind of flame war. You get what you give; if you're getting into a lot of arguments with people, it's probably because you're just the worst lol

That's because you're just a fvcking freak and no one wants to talk to you nerd. LOL GTFO.

<3
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Zaradi
Posts: 14,125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2015 5:50:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/26/2015 5:48:16 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 3/26/2015 4:30:13 PM, Zaradi wrote:
what a fcking pvssy.

Bite me, ho.

You're into some kinky sh*t you freak.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2015 5:52:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/26/2015 5:50:36 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 3/26/2015 5:48:16 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 3/26/2015 4:30:13 PM, Zaradi wrote:
what a fcking pvssy.

Bite me, ho.

You're into some kinky sh*t you freak.

I was simply playing a recording from my session with your mother.
YYW
Posts: 36,271
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2015 5:52:52 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/26/2015 5:44:48 PM, Mirza wrote:
A little disrespect is to be expected on a forum. What is rather sad is when allegedly intelligent individuals continually enter flame wars, and some with multiple people, when there is a very simple alternative. It says much of said individuals, although it is quite a shame they cannot see that for themselves.

You talkin' bout me, bro?
Tsar of DDO
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2015 5:53:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/26/2015 5:47:05 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 3/26/2015 5:42:42 PM, Maikuru wrote:
DDO is a microcommunity, so naturally it's going to have its share of douches. Just as in life, you have to be smart about who you choose to engage with. I don't think in my five years here I've ever had bad blood with anybody or engaged in any kind of flame war. You get what you give; if you're getting into a lot of arguments with people, it's probably because you're just the worst lol

That's because you're just a fvcking freak and no one wants to talk to you nerd. LOL GTFO.

<3
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Zaradi
Posts: 14,125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2015 5:53:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/26/2015 5:52:27 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 3/26/2015 5:50:36 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 3/26/2015 5:48:16 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 3/26/2015 4:30:13 PM, Zaradi wrote:
what a fcking pvssy.

Bite me, ho.

You're into some kinky sh*t you freak.

I was simply playing a recording from my session with your mother.

Jokes on you, I don't have a mother. Necrophilia's a crime in most places, you sick fvcker.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2015 5:56:15 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/26/2015 5:46:07 PM, Maikuru wrote:
I know you're talking about me, and I don't appreciate it.

At 3/26/2015 5:52:52 PM, YYW wrote:
You talkin' bout me, bro?
I'm talking about both of you, filthy Americans.
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2015 5:57:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/26/2015 5:53:09 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 3/26/2015 5:52:27 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 3/26/2015 5:50:36 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 3/26/2015 5:48:16 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 3/26/2015 4:30:13 PM, Zaradi wrote:
what a fcking pvssy.

Bite me, ho.

You're into some kinky sh*t you freak.

I was simply playing a recording from my session with your mother.

Jokes on you, I don't have a mother. Necrophilia's a crime in most places, you sick fvcker.

Not in Texas ;-p
Speaking of which, while that was happening, I saw you performing some interesting actions with your pet...was getting a girl just so hard that you needed a b!tch?
Zaradi
Posts: 14,125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2015 6:00:25 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/26/2015 5:57:05 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 3/26/2015 5:53:09 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 3/26/2015 5:52:27 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 3/26/2015 5:50:36 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 3/26/2015 5:48:16 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 3/26/2015 4:30:13 PM, Zaradi wrote:
what a fcking pvssy.

Bite me, ho.

You're into some kinky sh*t you freak.

I was simply playing a recording from my session with your mother.

Jokes on you, I don't have a mother. Necrophilia's a crime in most places, you sick fvcker.

Not in Texas ;-p
Speaking of which, while that was happening, I saw you performing some interesting actions with your pet...was getting a girl just so hard that you needed a b!tch?

Dude, you really shouldn't talk about your grandmother like that. SHe's your elder, and calling her a b!tch is just downright disrespectful.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Posts: 36,271
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2015 6:00:51 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/26/2015 5:56:15 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 3/26/2015 5:46:07 PM, Maikuru wrote:
I know you're talking about me, and I don't appreciate it.

At 3/26/2015 5:52:52 PM, YYW wrote:
You talkin' bout me, bro?
I'm talking about both of you, filthy Americans.

lol
Tsar of DDO
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2015 6:03:31 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/26/2015 6:00:25 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 3/26/2015 5:57:05 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 3/26/2015 5:53:09 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 3/26/2015 5:52:27 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 3/26/2015 5:50:36 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 3/26/2015 5:48:16 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 3/26/2015 4:30:13 PM, Zaradi wrote:
what a fcking pvssy.

Bite me, ho.

You're into some kinky sh*t you freak.

I was simply playing a recording from my session with your mother.

Jokes on you, I don't have a mother. Necrophilia's a crime in most places, you sick fvcker.

Not in Texas ;-p
Speaking of which, while that was happening, I saw you performing some interesting actions with your pet...was getting a girl just so hard that you needed a b!tch?

Dude, you really shouldn't talk about your grandmother like that. SHe's your elder, and calling her a b!tch is just downright disrespectful.

Joke's on you, my grandmother has AIDS, herpes, and Ebola. And yet she was still the best you've ever had.
YYW
Posts: 36,271
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2015 6:13:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/26/2015 6:06:39 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 3/26/2015 6:00:51 PM, YYW wrote:
lol
Although this is you during a hard week. :D

lol

She was kind of nice... I'm more like this during a hard week:

https://www.youtube.com...

but not really...
Tsar of DDO