CASSIE TEACHES DDO: Tonality

Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2015 2:08:11 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Hello DDO =)

Recently, I have seen a few DDO members struggle to detect tone in content posted, hence they make mistakes in responding correctly. Due to me being such a nice person, I will explain to those of you who struggle with detecting tone how to be more adept in doing so.

Let's have a look at an example.

"Your profile says you're from Australia, so you would know about black Americans how?"

Literally, this appears to be a question. However, if you look closer, this is actually a piece of rhetoric designed to be dismissive. Incidentally, the context involved a large, detailed text that briefly hinted at references, and the quoted piece here is the response. The best way to detect tone is to apply context in order to deduce a thorough understanding, and then read both literally and non-literally.

So, instead of taking this response as a legitimate question, one would be wise and correct to read it in its Ad Hominem variation, as the person is dismissing the argument due to the person speaking it.

There are three take-aways from analysing this extract:

1) Terseness in response, especially after a block of text, will likely imply dismissiveness. Content made in this fashion should be taken in its snarky variant (or as light humour, depending on your relationship with the person, but I didn't know this person in this example)

2) Only considering the literal meaning of text will leave you struggling to accurately assess tonality. Always consider the hidden implications

3) Text is far more difficult to detect tone through when compared with the spoken version. Read the text multiple times if you are unsure as to its nature, and hence its tone

Whilst I won't name those who struggled with this somewhat difficult reading comprehension, I hope that reading this has been a valuable lesson to everyone.

Ciao,
Cassandra
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2015 7:36:14 AM
My tonality detector indicates that this post is remarkably arrogant and condescending (as if you have to descend from the heavens in order to deign to gift us with your superior knowledge). Most of us already know this, you just jumped the gun and assumed the poster had the worst intentions because you didn't want to answer a simple question. See? I figured that all out from the tone of your post. Not fun for peope to assume things just by the tone of your post, eh? Try the principle of charity then.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2015 9:26:35 AM
At 3/27/2015 2:08:11 AM, Zarroette wrote:
Hello DDO =)

Recently, I have seen a few DDO members struggle to detect tone in content posted, hence they make mistakes in responding correctly. Due to me being such a nice person, I will explain to those of you who struggle with detecting tone how to be more adept in doing so.

"Your profile says you're from Australia, so you would know about black Americans how?"

Literally, this appears to be a question. However, if you look closer, this is actually a piece of rhetoric designed to be dismissive. Incidentally, the context involved a large, detailed text that briefly hinted at references, and the quoted piece here is the response. The best way to detect tone is to apply context in order to deduce a thorough understanding, and then read both literally and non-literally.

So, instead of taking this response as a legitimate question, one would be wise and correct to read it in its Ad Hominem variation, as the person is dismissing the argument due to the person speaking it.

1) Terseness in response, especially after a block of text, will likely imply dismissiveness. Content made in this fashion should be taken in its snarky variant (or as light humour, depending on your relationship with the person, but I didn't know this person in this example)

2) Only considering the literal meaning of text will leave you struggling to accurately assess tonality. Always consider the hidden implications

3) Text is far more difficult to detect tone through when compared with the spoken version. Read the text multiple times if you are unsure as to its nature, and hence its tone

Whilst I won't name those who struggled with this somewhat difficult reading comprehension, I hope that reading this has been a valuable lesson to everyone.

Ciao,
Cassandra

I understand what you're trying to say, but "tonality" technically doesn't apply to text, and perceiving that kind of information in text can be difficult, given that most of the relevant information is usually acquired from non-verbal communcatino. Further, there are large socio-cultural variations in non-verbal communication, so even if you maximized the transfer of what is usually non-verbal information through text (what you are referring to analogously as "tonality" - though I can't conjure the correct word right now), the probability of miscommunication is still high.

If you expect to easily communicate this kind of information to most people on and internet forum, then at least part of the miscommunication is your fault.

Goddamn, I spent 6 minutes reading and responding to this post instead of working >_<
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2015 10:50:25 AM
Deliberating whether I ought to respond with a pony meme.......

I won't do it.

Progress?
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2015 11:27:58 AM
Hello DDO =)

I couldn't agree more, love.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
lamerde
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2015 11:36:01 AM
Wow, you are so kind to have pointed this out to me.

So I will return the kindness, and refer you to this again:

Ad hominem reasoning is not always fallacious, for example, when it relates to the credibility of statements of fact or when used in certain kinds of moral and practical reasoning.
Why I ignore YYW:
http://www.debate.org...
Calling someone a bitch multiple times while claiming you're taking the high road is an art form, I suppose: http://www.debate.org...
lamerde
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2015 11:39:36 AM
The bottom line is, most people use anecdotal evidence (fallaciously) to support their claims about race on here. You neither have science nor anecdotal evidence, so what are you using?
Why I ignore YYW:
Calling someone a bitch multiple times while claiming you're taking the high road is an art form, I suppose: http://www.debate.org...
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2015 11:51:16 AM
At 3/27/2015 11:23:30 AM, Maikuru wrote:
That comment is still not an ad hom.

You are clearly stupid for not agreeing with her.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2015 11:59:09 AM
At 3/27/2015 11:39:36 AM, lamerde wrote:
The bottom line is, most people use anecdotal evidence (fallaciously) to support their claims about race on here. You neither have science nor anecdotal evidence, so what are you using?

I was just talking to someone about the "I'm not racist, I have a Black friend" phenomena yesterday. No one would say "I'm not sexist, I have a mother," and yet race is somehow viewed differently. You're right in saying that anecdotal evidence is used fallaciously to support otherwise unfounded claims about race. I spoke to some extent about this on some other thread; because we see race every day, we often speak as though we are experts on it, while we would not to so in so many other areas of life. For example, I happen to be experiencing gravity right now, though I would never think to speak on it in at some kind of theoretical level.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2015 12:57:47 PM
Hello DDO =)

Ciao,
Cassandra

Great post.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2015 1:05:02 PM
I hope this is first in a series. I'll be linking people to this post when they infer the wrong tone from me.
Genghis_Khan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2015 1:15:03 PM
At 3/27/2015 12:57:47 PM, Wylted wrote:
Hello DDO =)

Ciao,
Cassandra

Great post.

What's so great about it? Like PCP said, it's condescending and assumes that we don't already know this...
anything your heart desires
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2015 1:24:00 PM
At 3/27/2015 1:15:03 PM, Genghis_Khan wrote:
Hello DDO =)

Ciao,
Cassandra

Great post.

What's so great about it? Like PCP said, it's condescending and assumes that we don't already know this...

Some people don't though.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2015 1:24:05 PM
Hello DDO =)

Ciao,
Cassandra

Great post.

When you're smarter than everyone else it is okay to condescend, am I right?
Genghis_Khan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2015 1:25:17 PM
At 3/27/2015 1:24:05 PM, Wylted wrote:
Hello DDO =)

Ciao,
Cassandra

Great post.

When you're smarter than everyone else it is okay to condescend, am I right?

No. That just makes you a douche.
Genghis_Khan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2015 1:26:43 PM
At 3/27/2015 1:24:00 PM, Varrack wrote:
Hello DDO =)

Ciao,
Cassandra

Great post.

Some people don't though.

Yet "some people" doesn't wholly constitute the "DDO" which Cassie aims to "teach".
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2015 1:35:43 PM
Hello DDO =)

Ciao,
Cassandra

I signed you up as a replacement for my mafia game. These skills will benefit you in game greatly

best of luck
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2015 2:01:42 PM
Hello DDO =)

Ciao,
Cassandra

Great post.

"1) Terseness in response, especially after a block of text, will likely imply dismissiveness. Content made in this fashion should be taken in its snarky variant (or as light humour, depending on your relationship with the person, but I didn't know this person in this example)"
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2015 2:03:02 PM
Gold post. Do you think you could help me tone my saxophone?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2015 2:09:02 PM
At 3/27/2015 2:01:42 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
Hello DDO =)

Ciao,
Cassandra

Great post.

"1) Terseness in response, especially after a block of text, will likely imply dismissiveness. Content made in this fashion should be taken in its snarky variant (or as light humour, depending on your relationship with the person, but I didn't know this person in this example)"

That is my one and only criticism. I don't know what the hell terseness means.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2015 2:14:35 PM
At 3/27/2015 2:09:24 PM, Cermank wrote:
off topic but congrats on the match

tone: reluctant politeness

you're so funny!

tone: loving admiration
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2015 2:21:03 PM
At 3/27/2015 1:05:02 PM, Wylted wrote:
I hope this is first in a series. I'll be linking people to this post when they infer the wrong tone from me.

Sarcasm?
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2015 2:35:04 PM
Can you please teach us how to flame in the next part of the series? I'm sure you're knowledgeable in that subject as well.
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2015 2:47:28 PM
You remind me of my Latin teacher. I know you're speaking English.. yet when you start explaining language, I slowly tune out.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2015 3:29:57 PM
Hello DDO =)

I would've responded with, "why do you think I moved to Australia?"

Ciao,
Cassandra
lamerde
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2015 3:33:46 PM
At 3/27/2015 11:59:09 AM, Maikuru wrote:
At 3/27/2015 11:39:36 AM, lamerde wrote:

I was just talking to someone about the "I'm not racist, I have a Black friend" phenomena yesterday. No one would say "I'm not sexist, I have a mother," and yet race is somehow viewed differently. You're right in saying that anecdotal evidence is used fallaciously to support otherwise unfounded claims about race. I spoke to some extent about this on some other thread; because we see race every day, we often speak as though we are experts on it, while we would not to so in so many other areas of life. For example, I happen to be experiencing gravity right now, though I would never think to speak on it in at some kind of theoretical level.

But my experiences with gravity matter too waaahhhhhh!
Why I ignore YYW: