WODC2015 is happening - feedback required

larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2015 11:27:16 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Hey y'all!

The World Online Debate Cup is an annual competition started last year. It's probably the most prestigious title in online debate, being the only tournament to span multiple sites, and having a gruelling format a bit like real life, giving you at least 5 tough rounds of debate against some of the best competitors in the world. Last year, bsh1 and Ajabi, representing DDO, won the competition narrowly. This being said, the tournament is also designed to be beginner-friendly, being based on power-pairing, and is a really great way for members who may be newer to online debating to improve their skills. It's also the most interactive tournament - we're bringing back our ever-popular odds graphs this year and a whole lot more to be revealed.

Sign-ups aren't for another month. There's a lot of things that still need to be prepared for a tournament of this scale.

This thread is to get feedback on a number of important rule changes we are proposing this year:

> EARLIER TIMING - a bunch of people wanted me to hold the tournament earlier in the year, so this year I'm thinking May-August being the WODC season
> LONGER ROUNDS - each round will now be completed in 20 days as opposed to 14, giving people a bit more breathing room. Rounds will not be continuous.
> ELIMINATION TOPICS - using the Australs matching system to decide on topics as opposed to just leaving it entirely up to the debaters, balancing efficiency and good topics.
> "CHIEF JUDGES" - much like CAs in real life tournaments. Each participating site gets to nominate one.
> TEAM ENTRIES - allowing both teams and individuals to compete, (subject to approval by the mods of each site). Let's test if the "two minds better than one" theory actually holds true! Teams will be titled separately in the break but otherwise compete as if they were a single member.

Read more details and the official draft rules on the new WODC website, http://www.edeb8.com...

I'd really appreciate your thoughts on all this. Also, anyone who would like to help organize the tournament (there's quite a bit to do) or be the official chief judge of DDO, I could really use your help. Any other tournament suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks! :)
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2015 11:51:40 AM
At 3/27/2015 11:27:16 PM, larztheloser wrote:
Hey y'all!

The World Online Debate Cup is an annual competition started last year. It's probably the most prestigious title in online debate, being the only tournament to span multiple sites, and having a gruelling format a bit like real life, giving you at least 5 tough rounds of debate against some of the best competitors in the world. Last year, bsh1 and Ajabi, representing DDO, won the competition narrowly. This being said, the tournament is also designed to be beginner-friendly, being based on power-pairing, and is a really great way for members who may be newer to online debating to improve their skills. It's also the most interactive tournament - we're bringing back our ever-popular odds graphs this year and a whole lot more to be revealed.

Sign-ups aren't for another month. There's a lot of things that still need to be prepared for a tournament of this scale.

This thread is to get feedback on a number of important rule changes we are proposing this year:

> EARLIER TIMING - a bunch of people wanted me to hold the tournament earlier in the year, so this year I'm thinking May-August being the WODC season
> LONGER ROUNDS - each round will now be completed in 20 days as opposed to 14, giving people a bit more breathing room. Rounds will not be continuous.
> ELIMINATION TOPICS - using the Australs matching system to decide on topics as opposed to just leaving it entirely up to the debaters, balancing efficiency and good topics.
> "CHIEF JUDGES" - much like CAs in real life tournaments. Each participating site gets to nominate one.
> TEAM ENTRIES - allowing both teams and individuals to compete, (subject to approval by the mods of each site). Let's test if the "two minds better than one" theory actually holds true! Teams will be titled separately in the break but otherwise compete as if they were a single member.

Read more details and the official draft rules on the new WODC website, http://www.edeb8.com...

I'd really appreciate your thoughts on all this. Also, anyone who would like to help organize the tournament (there's quite a bit to do) or be the official chief judge of DDO, I could really use your help. Any other tournament suggestions are very welcome.

I like a lot of these changes, though I'm iffy on the team aspect as it seems somewhat exploitable. I guess I'll throw my hat into the ring to be the official chief judge of this site.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2015 1:55:12 PM
Hey y'all!

Hopefully it's more than just DDO and edeb8 this time...
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2015 1:56:40 PM
At 3/28/2015 11:51:40 AM, whiteflame wrote:
Hey y'all!

I like a lot of these changes, though I'm iffy on the team aspect as it seems somewhat exploitable. I guess I'll throw my hat into the ring to be the official chief judge of this site.

I second marc doing this.
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2015 2:10:30 PM
At 3/28/2015 1:56:40 PM, Mikal wrote:
Hey y'all!

I third this.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2015 3:10:03 PM
At 3/28/2015 1:56:40 PM, Mikal wrote:
Hey y'all!

Same, whiteflame should serve as the DDO Chief Judge IMO.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2015 3:18:34 PM
At 3/28/2015 3:15:45 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
How about we go further: Whiteflame 2016.

Lmao. If he wanted to run for DDO president he'd win it by a landslide. Real presidents are high-functioning sociopaths though (just my opinion)... So idk if he fits the description.
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2015 3:20:50 PM
At 3/28/2015 3:18:34 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Lmao. If he wanted to run for DDO president he'd win it by a landslide.

I totally agree here -- though that would probably require giving up his role as moderator.

Real presidents are high-functioning sociopaths though (just my opinion)... So idk if he fits the description.

Ha, I'd agree that he most certainly doesn't fit this description, but I'm not sure if presidents generally do, either. Mind elaborating a bit on this (maybe elsewhere, so we're not filling this thread, lol)?

DDO's Economics Messiah
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2015 3:25:53 PM
At 3/28/2015 3:20:50 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
At 3/28/2015 3:18:34 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Lmao. If he wanted to run for DDO president he'd win it by a landslide.

I totally agree here -- though that would probably require giving up his role as moderator.

Naw, Airmax was both for a period of time. I'd actually prefer if a mod served as president because that means they have even more power to get things done.

Real presidents are high-functioning sociopaths though (just my opinion)... So idk if he fits the description.

Ha, I'd agree that he most certainly doesn't fit this description, but I'm not sure if presidents generally do, either. Mind elaborating a bit on this (maybe elsewhere, so we're not filling this thread, lol)?

Yeah sure man :) I'll start a thread in the politics section tonight when I get home from work. For now I got my next shift starting in 30 minutes and need to get some lunch in me lol.
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2015 3:27:46 PM
At 3/28/2015 3:25:53 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
Naw, Airmax was both for a period of time. I'd actually prefer if a mod served as president because that means they have even more power to get things done.

I know that Max did it, but I believe he said, recently, something to the effect that Juggle prefers non-moderators as acting presidents because moderators need to appear "neutral."

That said, while I understand why Juggle may want this demarcation, I don't see any problem with either Max, or whiteflame, or Bluesteel, or Raisor, or Bladerunner serving as both at the same time.

Yeah sure man :) I'll start a thread in the politics section tonight when I get home from work. For now I got my next shift starting in 30 minutes and need to get some lunch in me lol.

Alright, perfect!

DDO's Economics Messiah