Jump to topic:

Forfeited rounds in three debates?!

PM1066
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2015 7:42:39 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Seriously, what gives? Just joined, but not new to the internets by any stretch. I'm engaged in three debates where the instigator has failed to post round two. Is that typical? Out of 5 debates total, 60% are no shows by the person who started it.

And is there any way to get credit for a debate I enter in good faith then have some inconsiderate jackhole walk away from it? My favorite is with a dude who had a "forfeit results in loss of 7 points" rule, then immediately went and blew off round 2.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2015 7:52:42 AM
At 4/2/2015 7:42:39 AM, PM1066 wrote:
Seriously, what gives? Just joined, but not new to the internets by any stretch. I'm engaged in three debates where the instigator has failed to post round two. Is that typical? Out of 5 debates total, 60% are no shows by the person who started it.

And is there any way to get credit for a debate I enter in good faith then have some inconsiderate jackhole walk away from it? My favorite is with a dude who had a "forfeit results in loss of 7 points" rule, then immediately went and blew off round 2.

When you instigate a debate, try setting a 5 debate minimum or something so people with a reputation for sticking it out accept. Maybe put a message in round 1 to let people know it is a 5 debate minimum.
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2015 8:30:14 AM

You'll almost always win debates where your opponents forfeits. There are some ways to avoid getting an opponent like that though. Firstly, like Wylted was suggesting, you can set your criteria to require your opponent to have completed at least 5 debates. Secondly, you can make your debate "impossible to accept" and handpick your opponent by asking them to apply in the comments. When you make your debate, set the age and debate number criteria to something really obscure, and ask users to comment if they would like to debate you. Lastly, don't accept debates from brand new users, they will (more often than not) forfeit.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2015 9:01:04 AM

Yeah, it happens. That's the problem with some noobs, they join, start a debate, then bail on it and/or the site.
If you accept a debate, look at their history. If it is their first debate, or they have a history of forfeiting, don't take it.
My work here is, finally, done.
PM1066
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2015 11:56:38 AM
Yeah, the one debate I started I hand selected my opponent and it worked out fine. It just gets me folks (mostly the under 20 crowd from the look of it, but I have a limited data set to be sure) starting these debates and then walking away. Especially when you see someone with 3-5 debates going at the same time, it becomes a WTF? moment.
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2015 5:26:37 PM

I think it's to do with anxiety and how daunting it is to post an argument (at least, that was the case for me when I joined). If you decide you want some free wins to make your account look better, you can post a super-strong argument in the first round, so long as he/she hasn't specified that the first round is for acceptance. Nothing would be more frightening that having a couple of sentences mauled with a 10,000 characters response which included 25 references.

But I understand you wanting to debate properly, and the people here have given you good advice on that. Maybe you'll change your mind slightly once you come up against someone like bsh1 or bluesteel.