Jump to topic:

Econ Debate, Anyone?

ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 10:51:08 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'm pressed for time as late, so I can't take on many of these -- and I still owe Zaradi/thett and Lannan debates. But I should be able to take on at least one, if not two, of these, provided that it's something with which I'm reasonably familiar.

There's a link with a list of topics in my signature. Among those, the ones I'm most interested in doing right now are:

Resolved: The U.S. economy is undergoing an era of secular stagnation (PRO)

Resolved: The U.S. Federal Reserve should subsidize and target an NGDP futures market (PRO)

Resolved: Monetary policy is impotent once nominal interest rates reach the zero lower bound (CON)

Resolved: The FOMC should increase short-term interest rates in mid-2015 (CON)

All of these, save for the second -- though that will change, I expect -- are fairly controversial and prominent in the Econ-o-Nerd world.

Any takers?
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 11:43:50 AM
At 4/3/2015 10:51:08 AM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
I'm pressed for time as late, so I can't take on many of these -- and I still owe Zaradi/thett and Lannan debates. But I should be able to take on at least one, if not two, of these, provided that it's something with which I'm reasonably familiar.

There's a link with a list of topics in my signature. Among those, the ones I'm most interested in doing right now are:

Resolved: The U.S. economy is undergoing an era of secular stagnation (PRO)

Resolved: The U.S. Federal Reserve should subsidize and target an NGDP futures market (PRO)

Resolved: Monetary policy is impotent once nominal interest rates reach the zero lower bound (CON)

Resolved: The FOMC should increase short-term interest rates in mid-2015 (CON)

All of these, save for the second -- though that will change, I expect -- are fairly controversial and prominent in the Econ-o-Nerd world.

Any takers?

Nerd
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 1:11:14 PM
At 4/3/2015 11:41:07 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
Nobody likes Econ. Just accept it.

A few people do, actually.

In fact, there are two people in particular with whom I discussed a few of this issues quite vigorously -- so I was hoping they'd be interested.

DDO's Economics Messiah
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 1:19:37 PM
I mean, there are certainly enough people willing to opine on economics *as though* they understand it -- whether they do is another story.

DDO's Economics Messiah
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 1:22:03 PM
At 4/3/2015 1:19:37 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
I mean, there are certainly enough people willing to opine on economics *as though* they understand it -- whether they do is another story.

See: John Maynard Keynes
#StandWithBossy
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 1:24:05 PM
At 4/3/2015 1:22:03 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 4/3/2015 1:19:37 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

See: John Maynard Keynes

In fact, Keynes was right on quite a bit -- though knowing that requires a non-insubstantial amount of knowledge I wouldn't expect from the average Ayn-Rand aficionado. It may require bizarre ideas, like the notion that monetary policy is more complex than the crap featured in Atlas Shrugged.

DDO's Economics Messiah