Jump to topic:

Motion to elect DDO presidency yearly, not bi

bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 11:55:53 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I formally put forward a motion to elect DDO presidents to a one-year term, as opposed to bi-annually (twice a year). The election is a huge distraction to the site. It's a lot of work for the election moderator (who in years past was Ore_Ele, but I assume he can't do it if he runs for re-election). It's too much work and too much of a distraction for a position that is essentially a figurehead.

It's insane honestly. Even if it were a super important position, there aren't any real positions in life that only get elected for 6-month terms. It's simply too short a period to merit having an election that often.

So here's a petition that actually might matter. Sign below if you agree.

1. bluesteel
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 11:57:18 PM
At 4/3/2015 11:55:53 PM, bluesteel wrote:
I formally put forward a motion to elect DDO presidents to a one-year term, as opposed to bi-annually (twice a year). The election is a huge distraction to the site. It's a lot of work for the election moderator (who in years past was Ore_Ele, but I assume he can't do it if he runs for re-election). It's too much work and too much of a distraction for a position that is essentially a figurehead.

It's insane honestly. Even if it were a super important position, there aren't any real positions in life that only get elected for 6-month terms. It's simply too short a period to merit having an election that often.

1. bluesteel
2. Mikal
ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2015 12:11:46 AM
At 4/3/2015 11:57:18 PM, Mikal wrote:

1. bluesteel
2. Mikal
3. ClashnBoom.
I will change my sig weekly. Week 4.

Fun fact of the week
Clumsy alien Jar Jar Binks was introduced in The Phantom Menace for comic relief, but he was initially a two-faced mercenary who was to betray Qui-Gon Jinn, a Jedi Master played by Liam Neeson.

Joke of the week:
Nerd 1: "Why can't you trust atoms?"
Nerd 2: : "Cause they make everything up!"
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2015 12:17:20 AM
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2015 12:28:01 AM
At 4/4/2015 12:15:42 AM, Le-vox-von-zhizn wrote:
1. bluesteel
2. Mikal
3. F-16
4. ClashnBoom
. 5. Le vox von zhizn

6. Mishapqueen
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2015 12:40:07 AM

1. bluesteel

The biggest reason I am against is I don't think anyone should be asked to commit a full year.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2015 12:45:50 AM
At 4/4/2015 12:40:07 AM, Raisor wrote:

1. bluesteel

The biggest reason I am against is I don't think anyone should be asked to commit a full year.

On the flipside, you can ask the people who ran for multiple terms whether they liked having so many elections. I get that this is a tradeoff, but presumably if you want to do it for 6 months, you wouldn't mind having the position for a year.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2015 1:12:35 AM
1. bluesteel
2. Mikal
3. F-16
4. ClashnBoom
5. Le vox von zhizn
6. Mishapqueen
7. Ragnar

At least for the foreseeable future, where their influence is limited, it makes a lot of sense.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2015 1:22:42 AM
I'll only vote if I get elected president for life.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2015 2:20:55 AM
At 4/4/2015 1:22:42 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
I'll only vote if I get elected president for life.

/in
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2015 6:41:41 AM
I support this if it doesn't get implemented until after the next election is over. It seems in bad taste to implement it immediately.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2015 9:57:43 AM

1. bluesteel

6 months is already long enough as is. By the end of the year the president will just be an inactive chump. Heck by the 4th month out of the six most presidents have already stopped being presidential. Then its time to put in another passionate numbskull for president. DDO is not real life. When you are president, you really have no obligation to act like on during your term, and consequently many will stop doing things before their term ends.
Nolite Timere
Arcanas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2015 10:07:04 AM

1. bluesteel

What does the president of DDO do?
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2015 10:15:24 AM
1. bluesteel
2. Mikal
3. F-16
4. ClashnBoom
5. Le vox von zhizn
6. Mishapqueen
7. Ragnar
8. ResponsiblyIrresponsible
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2015 10:31:14 AM
At 4/4/2015 10:15:24 AM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
1. bluesteel
2. Mikal
3. F-16
4. ClashnBoom
5. Le vox von zhizn
6. Mishapqueen
7. Ragnar
8. ResponsiblyIrresponsible
9. Vox_Veritas
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2015 11:44:09 AM
At 4/4/2015 9:58:52 AM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
1 year is so damn long in DDO time. It should really be kept to 6 months. Plus I love the election drama.

These were my main concerns with the idea as well.
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2015 11:49:19 AM
At 4/4/2015 9:57:43 AM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

1. bluesteel

6 months is already long enough as is. By the end of the year the president will just be an inactive chump. Heck by the 4th month out of the six most presidents have already stopped being presidential. Then its time to put in another passionate numbskull for president. DDO is not real life. When you are president, you really have no obligation to act like on during your term, and consequently many will stop doing things before their term ends.

I'll debate this
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2015 12:40:13 PM
At 4/4/2015 11:49:19 AM, Mikal wrote:

1. bluesteel

I'll debate this

Resolution?
Nolite Timere
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2015 1:01:28 PM
At 4/4/2015 12:40:13 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

1. bluesteel

I'll debate this

Resolution?

Resolved - The DDO Presidency should be held once a year instead of every 6 months.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2015 1:17:11 PM
At 4/4/2015 1:01:28 PM, Mikal wrote:

1. bluesteel

I'll debate this

Resolution?

Resolved - The DDO Presidency should be held once a year instead of every 6 months.

Let me do some research and I'll get back to you on that.
Nolite Timere
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2015 1:28:43 PM
At 4/4/2015 1:17:11 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
At 4/4/2015 1:01:28 PM, Mikal wrote:

1. bluesteel

I'll debate this

Resolution?

Let me do some research and I'll get back to you on that.

Sure
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2015 1:32:55 PM
At 4/4/2015 12:10:58 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
1. bluesteel
2. Mikal
3. F-16

I'm down for removing this distraction every six months.

How is it a distraction?
Nolite Timere
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2015 1:48:20 PM
At 4/4/2015 9:58:52 AM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
1 year is so damn long in DDO time. It should really be kept to 6 months.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2015 2:01:02 PM
I remain mostly neutral on this topic, though I do believe there are merits to both sides.

I will say that I believe the issue is mostly about the amount of election stuff that pops up way before it's necessary. It becomes a huge distraction for the forum, and an entirely unnecessary one.

It used to be that election stuff only appeared about 2 weeks before the actual election, and having a return to that might be a solution to the issue here.
Debate.org Moderator
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2015 2:06:29 PM
At 4/4/2015 2:01:02 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
I remain mostly neutral on this topic, though I do believe there are merits to both sides.

I will say that I believe the issue is mostly about the amount of election stuff that pops up way before it's necessary. It becomes a huge distraction for the forum, and an entirely unnecessary one.

It used to be that election stuff only appeared about 2 weeks before the actual election, and having a return to that might be a solution to the issue here.

I hold the opposite position. I believe people should constantly announce their presidency and post their platforms 8-9 times during the entire 6 months between elections.
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

~mysteriouscrystals

~F-16