**Mod Mssg: Multi accounting. Please Read**

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2015 9:05:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Hey DDO!

Tonight I wanted to talk about a more serious topic than I usually do, and that is with regards to multi-accounting.

Multi accounting is NOT allowed.

"Multi accounting" means having more than one account at any time.

Let me be very clear, members are allowd to have ONLY one account.

Recently I have come across many multi acounts not only from new members who may not know any better (even though it's the first thing listed in the TOU code of conduct), but from more experienced DDO members who do know better. While many of these accounts may be thought to be entirely benign, many of them are not. In either case, it makes no difference, it it NOT allowed.

There is an exception made for family members or room mates (or similar circumstances) that may be accessing the site, but in these cases these members may NOT debate each other or vote on each others debates. If you have such a circumstance, be sure to contact me to let me know.

There are many cases of multi accounting that I have had to deal with in recent weeks, and I am going to spend the next few weeks investing a decent amount of time uncovering more. If you have an alternate account (no matter how benign you may think it is) it is just a matter of time until it is discovered. So I offer all members who may be engaged in this activity the following:

You are being granted a 72 hour amnesty (ending Wednesday at 10pm) to contact me and deactivate your multi accounts. If you do this within the next 72 hours no further actions will be taken. However, following this 72 hour period if you are discovered with any open alternate accounts (accessed within the past couple months) the consequences will be severe.

If you have any questions, please ask.
Debate.org Moderator
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2015 9:08:34 PM
At 4/5/2015 9:05:33 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
Come on, mine was for April Fool's.

And why can't you just AoE xX0N3$H0TXx them with your Ban Hammer?
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2015 9:09:47 PM

Everyone will close down their alts when you close Bladerunner.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2015 9:12:11 PM
At 4/5/2015 9:09:47 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Everyone will close down their alts when you close Bladerunner.

That was my first thought. I liked Bladerunner =(
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2015 9:15:17 PM
Hey DDO!

Tonight I wanted to talk about a more serious topic than I usually do, and that is with regards to multi-accounting.

Recently I have come across many multi acounts not only from new members who may not know any better (even though it's the first thing listed in the TOU code of conduct), but from more experienced DDO members who do know better. While many of these accounts may be thought to be entirely benign, many of them are not. In either case, it makes no difference, it it NOT allowed.

There is an exception made for family members or room mates (or similar circumstances) that may be accessing the site, but in these cases these members may NOT debate each other or vote on each others debates. If you have such a circumstance, be sure to contact me to let me know.

There are many cases of multi accounting that I have had to deal with in recent weeks, and I am going to spend the next few weeks investing a decent amount of time uncovering more. If you have an alternate account (no matter how benign you may think it is) it is just a matter of time until it is discovered. So I offer all members who may be engaged in this activity the following:

You are being granted a 72 hour amnesty (ending Wednesday at 10pm) to contact me and deactivate your multi accounts. If you do this within the next 72 hours no further actions will be taken. However, following this 72 hour period if you are discovered with any open alternate accounts (accessed within the past couple months) the consequences will be severe.

Is this targeted at me?
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2015 9:17:21 PM
At 4/5/2015 9:15:17 PM, SeventhProfessor wrote:
Hey DDO!

Is this targeted at me?

I don't make threads to target a single person. It's targeted at everyone so that they know the rules, and especially targeted at those that are breaking the rules. If you are someone who is breaking this rule, you should expect a message from me in 72 hours.
Debate.org Moderator
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2015 9:19:23 PM
At 4/5/2015 9:15:17 PM, SeventhProfessor wrote:
Hey DDO!

Is this targeted at me?

https://sp.yimg.com...
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2015 9:20:21 PM
Hey DDO!

What if I make a multi-account after the 72 hour period?
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2015 9:23:29 PM
Really, Max? Only 72 hours to close down my 10,000 multiaccounts?

Back-of-the-envelope estimates suggest I would need to close 138.89 accounts per hour; or 2.31 per minute, or .04 per second.

Aint nobody got time for that.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
DarthKirones
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2015 9:26:30 PM
Just a reminder, I do have family members who use the site. I will notify them of no debating.
"I am not religious. I am a genius. I have the Universe in my hands."
-Aerogant

"Of course a jewish baby cannibalizing a jewish mommy is fine"
-Heil being retarded

"Eradicating the baby scourge from our midsts is most certainly fun. And I am proud to be your hero. Babies tremble then they hear my name.. Airmax, the hero of baby annihilation."
-Airmax
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2015 9:29:43 PM
Hey DDO!

Wait did you find out sadolite was actually my dad
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2015 9:30:14 PM

I have a problem.

I can't find the password to one of my accounts... The airmax one... O_O

Uhh... I MEAN...

Oops 0_0
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2015 9:36:04 PM
At 4/5/2015 9:26:46 PM, Arcanas wrote:
https://m.youtube.com...

Response?

This was an elaborate joke. To this day I have not yet admitted to Bladerunner, Whiteflame, Bluesteel, Danielle, Raisor, or Cermank being my mutlis. I may one day, but it day wasn't that day, and it's not this day.

I will admit though that the general theory and Mikal's joke about it are hilarious.
Debate.org Moderator
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2015 9:39:51 PM
At 4/5/2015 9:36:04 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

Response?

This was an elaborate joke. To this day I have not yet admitted to Bladerunner, Whiteflame, Bluesteel, Danielle, Raisor, or Cermank being my mutlis. I may one day, but it day wasn't that day, and it's not this day.

I will admit though that the general theory and Mikal's joke about it are hilarious.

"I'm constantly lying"
~airmax1227

"I also manipulated everyone to believe I"m a different member"
~airmax1227

"Bluesteel and bladerunner and whiteflame are my multiaccounts"
~airmax1227

"I can outsource [my multiaccounting] to world domination"
~airmax1227

"Caucasians are inherently more intelligent than African Americans"
~airmax1227
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2015 9:57:01 PM
Hey DDO!

DDO Presents:
The War on Multis (Iraq's next!)
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2015 10:07:06 PM
Hey DDO!

Why can't family members or friends debate each other here?
I will change my sig weekly. Week 4.

Fun fact of the week
Clumsy alien Jar Jar Binks was introduced in The Phantom Menace for comic relief, but he was initially a two-faced mercenary who was to betray Qui-Gon Jinn, a Jedi Master played by Liam Neeson.

Joke of the week:
Nerd 1: "Why can't you trust atoms?"
Nerd 2: : "Cause they make everything up!"
Arcanas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2015 10:13:26 PM
At 4/5/2015 9:36:04 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

Response?

This was an elaborate joke.
Lol don't worry, I didn't think it was serious.
To this day I have not yet admitted to Bladerunner, Whiteflame, Bluesteel, Danielle, Raisor, or Cermank being my mutlis. I may one day, but it day wasn't that day, and it's not this day.
But you admit that you will possibly reveal to and/or are considering the idea of admitting to owning these accounts?

Agreed.
Arcanas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2015 10:15:54 PM
At 4/5/2015 10:07:06 PM, ClashnBoom wrote:
Hey DDO!

I have the same question. I think it's to prevent siblings from making debates that are set (IE: Two brothers make several debates, and both agree that one is going to win the debates and gain elo).
ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2015 10:17:36 PM
At 4/5/2015 10:15:54 PM, Arcanas wrote:
Hey DDO!

I have the same question. I think it's to prevent siblings from making debates that are set (IE: Two brothers make several debates, and both agree that one is going to win the debates and gain elo).
Winning a debate with a stranger is okay but winning a debate over your siblings and friends? Bragging rights.
I will change my sig weekly. Week 4.

Fun fact of the week
Clumsy alien Jar Jar Binks was introduced in The Phantom Menace for comic relief, but he was initially a two-faced mercenary who was to betray Qui-Gon Jinn, a Jedi Master played by Liam Neeson.

Joke of the week:
Nerd 1: "Why can't you trust atoms?"
Nerd 2: : "Cause they make everything up!"
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2015 10:22:00 PM
Hey DDO!

It's to prevent accounts with matching IPs from harming the integrity of debates.

In most cases, two accounts with matching IPs are in fact the same person using two accounts (sometimes it's mostly harmless, sometimes it's for the sake of self-debating for easy wins, or self voting). There are however instances where family members are using the site, and in those cases we allow those members to both access the site, but some sacrifice, in the form of not debating each other or voting for each other is necessary. It's not ideal, but for the sake of allowing the site to be accessed by more than one individual per household, it is necessary.
Debate.org Moderator
Arcanas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2015 10:31:28 PM
At 4/5/2015 10:17:36 PM, ClashnBoom wrote:
At 4/5/2015 10:15:54 PM, Arcanas wrote:
Hey DDO!

Winning a debate with a stranger is okay but winning a debate over your siblings and friends? Bragging rights.

I'd never let my (Insert brother or sister here, depending on who I debate) live it down as I'm almost a decade younger than my sister and seven years younger than my brother.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2015 10:37:23 PM
At 4/5/2015 10:22:00 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
Hey DDO!

It's to prevent accounts with matching IPs from harming the integrity of debates.

In most cases, two accounts with matching IPs are in fact the same person using two accounts (sometimes it's mostly harmless, sometimes it's for the sake of self-debating for easy wins, or self voting). There are however instances where family members are using the site, and in those cases we allow those members to both access the site, but some sacrifice, in the form of not debating each other or voting for each other is necessary. It's not ideal, but for the sake of allowing the site to be accessed by more than one individual per household, it is necessary.

I get voting on each other's debates, not so much debating each other
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2015 10:46:43 PM
At 4/5/2015 10:37:23 PM, Mikal wrote:
Hey DDO!

You could use one account as your actual account and use your "brothers" account to constantly lose to you.

The point is that the claim of another account being a family member doesn't suddenly give the member the ability to use that account as they would a sock account. I'd say close to 50% of the time the "Family" claim is eventually proven to be false (it turns out just to be one guy using two accounts) and since the rule is what it is, no problematic activity (self-voting or self-debating) was able to be done in the meantime.
Debate.org Moderator
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2015 10:48:12 PM
At 4/5/2015 10:46:43 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
Hey DDO!

You could use one account as your actual account and use your "brothers" account to constantly lose to you.

The point is that the claim of another account being a family member doesn't suddenly give the member the ability to use that account as they would a sock account. I'd say close to 50% of the time the "Family" claim is eventually proven to be false (it turns out just to be one guy using two accounts) and since the rule is what it is, no problematic activity (self-voting or self-debating) was able to be done in the meantime.

Nm I have downs. I was thinking well if you don't vote, but you could just fr or write bad arguments on purpose. Nm
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2015 10:50:09 PM
At 4/5/2015 10:48:12 PM, Mikal wrote:
Hey DDO!

Nm I have downs. I was thinking well if you don't vote, but you could just fr or write bad arguments on purpose. Nm

I've started to take a lot of these things for granted, having spent so much time doing this now. But I don't think it's necessarily that obvious, so I appreciate you asking.
Debate.org Moderator
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2015 10:55:03 PM
At 4/5/2015 10:50:09 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 4/5/2015 10:48:12 PM, Mikal wrote:
Hey DDO!

I've started to take a lot of these things for granted, having spent so much time doing this now. But I don't think it's necessarily that obvious, so I appreciate you asking.

Late night mafia?