Jump to topic:

Arcanas + ??? Platform P1

Arcanas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2015 10:24:23 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Hi, my name is Nate (Otherwise known as Arcanas). I'm announcing my platform for the upcoming election here. If mods think it is to early to post this please let me know and I'll gladly stop posting *any* election related material until it is the right time to do so.

Front page clean up:

Currently, I feel that the front page of Debate.org is of poor quality. The front page is filled with debates that discourage new users from joining this site (IE: Debates that are racist, debates that are sexist, and highly offensive debates that are made by trolls in order to enrage others in general). However, I contend that through finding better methods of determining the front page content and encouraging higher standards of debates, we can clean up the front page and encourage new productive members to join the site.

Determining front page content:

I'd love to hear ideas from other members about how they think the front page should be managed, but this what I currently believe will be the most effective way to ensure that the most "valuable" debates reach the front page.
(A) Choosing the debates with the most recent likes

Front page debates are currently determined by the amount of comments they have. While this can lead to some great debates that have a active comments section reaching the front page, it can also lead to shoddy troll debates with flame war comment sections taking over the front page. Sadly, I think that the latter is far more common. By choosing the debates that get the most likes, we ensure that the debates that are most approved by members get onto the front page. No longer would we risk debates with only two or three commenters raging at each other getting onto the front page.

(B) Mod approved debates

Debates should be "Moderator approved" before going onto the front page. We should encourage Juggle to implement this so we can essentially completely rid of foul debates plaguing the front page and ensure only the good ones make it.

(C) "Sticky" debates

This is not an idea that I'm extremely passionate about so I don't mind if it's unpopular, but I think it would be good to place great debates we've had on this website on the front page. Hall of Fame debates, debates from experienced members, and more. We could have a list of debates we would like to show off that are regularly cycled out and back in. The time period each debate would have will vary depending on how many debates meet the standard.

The above also applies for the polls and comments section. New polls and opinions reaching the front page can lead to them getting votes, but it has the large drawback of inappropriate polls and opinions that clearly aren't serious getting onto the front page. I think the drawbacks of the latter far outweigh the benefits of the former as it deters new potential members from joining when they see displeasing/ disgusting material on the front page.

Why Juggle would like to work with us on this:

Juggle's current interests are on generating profit. Sadly, the company fails to pay much attention to debate.org as it apparently doesn't generate enough profit to justify spending resources on it. This is why the primary focus I'll have during my term is to clean up the front page. By convincing Juggle that this is favorable to them (Worth their resources) Juggle will be influenced to implement these plans to the front page and it will be both beneficial to debate.org and attract new members. As new members begin to come (With new standards for what gets on the front page, this is inevitable) Juggle will probably be interested in continued work with members in order to collect more profit. When this happens, the cycle of better features and an increase of new productive members will begin to smoothly flow. Juggle receives a more populous site and more ad revenue, members get more quality debates and discussions, and mods waste less time cleaning up problems that are a result of idiots who get onto the front page and cleaning forums in general. Triple win!

Improving quality of debates:

We should make it easier for new members to adapt to the site, learn the ropes, and learn how to debate. Many members that join are poor at debating but have untapped potential. With potentially amazing members losing interest fast after their first debate, it is clear that we need to make it easier for them. I think that the best way to help them is to have more threads where members can go and seek debate advice from experienced members. I know that multiple experienced members have made debate guides, and I think these types of threads should be sticky threads, and perhaps even end up on the front page. By doing this we secure the interest of newcomers fast, and ensure that they will have a reason to log into debate.org. In addition, by teaching newbs the basics of debate, we greatly improve the quality of debate and minimize the shoddy "Post a one sentence argument then forfeit the rest of the rounds" debates.

Still trying to figure out who my vice president is going to be. PM me if you're interested. Will add more to my platform later. Thanks for spending your time reading my ideas, it's appreciated. Again, the above is my primary focus to improve the site, and there is more to add.

Vote Nate, he's great.
ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 12:24:57 AM
Wait. Is Juggle the real name of the company that owns DDO? I thought Wylted just made it up.
I will change my sig weekly. Week 4.

Fun fact of the week
Clumsy alien Jar Jar Binks was introduced in The Phantom Menace for comic relief, but he was initially a two-faced mercenary who was to betray Qui-Gon Jinn, a Jedi Master played by Liam Neeson.

Joke of the week:
Nerd 1: "Why can't you trust atoms?"
Nerd 2: : "Cause they make everything up!"
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 12:43:14 AM
At 4/6/2015 12:24:57 AM, ClashnBoom wrote:
Wait. Is Juggle the real name of the company that owns DDO? I thought Wylted just made it up.

Yup. Juggle really is the company that owns the site.

http://www.juggle.com...
Debate.org Moderator
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 12:45:07 AM
At 4/6/2015 12:43:14 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

Yup. Juggle really is the company that owns the site.

http://www.juggle.com...

Come on, Max. There's no need to troll new members and with this "Juggle exists" stuff. They know as well as you and I that the DDO Elite runs this place.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
Arcanas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 7:12:41 AM
At 4/6/2015 12:56:54 AM, Le-vox-von-zhizn wrote:
Whose your vice?

I'm still trying to figure that out. Send a PM if you're interested
ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 7:32:55 AM
At 4/6/2015 7:12:41 AM, Arcanas wrote:
Whose your vice?

Some advice would be to choose a famous person to be your vice so they can give you free votes also someone older then you cause your young and some people don't like having a teenage president.

Fun fact of the week
Clumsy alien Jar Jar Binks was introduced in The Phantom Menace for comic relief, but he was initially a two-faced mercenary who was to betray Qui-Gon Jinn, a Jedi Master played by Liam Neeson.

Joke of the week:
ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 7:33:26 AM
At 4/6/2015 7:07:44 AM, Arcanas wrote:
At 4/6/2015 1:07:12 AM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
No

No?

He's running too with Rev.

Fun fact of the week

Joke of the week:
Arcanas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 7:37:37 AM
At 4/6/2015 7:32:55 AM, ClashnBoom wrote:
Whose your vice?

Some advice would be to choose a famous person
A famous person? Who would I ask?
to be your vice so they can give you free votes also someone older then you cause your young and some people don't like having a teenage president.

I'll choose whoever I think is best suited.
ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 7:42:33 AM
At 4/6/2015 7:37:37 AM, Arcanas wrote:
Whose your vice?

to be your vice so they can give you free votes also someone older then you cause your young and some people don't like having a teenage president.

Someone from the DDO Elite or someone who's known like your competition Yamma,Seventh and YYW (maybe Utherpenguin too.) have announced presidency.

Fun fact of the week

Joke of the week:
Arcanas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 7:44:30 AM
At 4/6/2015 7:42:33 AM, ClashnBoom wrote:
Whose your vice?

Someone from the DDO Elite or someone who's known like your competition
What's the DDO Elite?
Yamma,Seventh and YYW (maybe Utherpenguin too.) have announced presidency.

Yep
ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 7:47:11 AM
At 4/6/2015 7:44:30 AM, Arcanas wrote:
Whose your vice?

What's the DDO Elite?

Yep

The most elite group of debaters no one really knows who's part they are the owners of Juggle.
Also search your DDO history most unknown candidates who are formal usually don't win.

Fun fact of the week

Joke of the week:
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 7:48:53 AM
Whose your vice?

What's the DDO Elite?

You basically need the support of the DDO elite to stand a chance of winning. I'd petition known and suspected DDO elite members for their vocal support.

Yep
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 7:49:26 AM

What? Lol.
ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 7:51:03 AM
At 4/6/2015 7:49:26 AM, Wylted wrote:

What? Lol.

You and Imabench are the only ones who I've seen mention it and not in a serious matter.

Fun fact of the week

Joke of the week:
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 7:55:05 AM
At 4/6/2015 7:51:03 AM, ClashnBoom wrote:

What? Lol.

You and Imabench are the only ones who I've seen mention it and not in a serious matter.

Juggle might as well not even exist. Airmax runs the site.
ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 7:58:05 AM
At 4/6/2015 7:55:05 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 4/6/2015 7:51:03 AM, ClashnBoom wrote:

What? Lol.

Juggle might as well not even exist. Airmax runs the site.

Airmax is just an alt all the mods except Bluesteel and F-16 are the same person even the new ones are the same.

Fun fact of the week

Joke of the week:
Arcanas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 8:06:35 AM
At 4/6/2015 7:48:53 AM, Wylted wrote:
Whose your vice?

What's the DDO Elite?

You basically need the support of the DDO elite to stand a chance of winning. I'd petition known and suspected DDO elite members for their vocal support.
But who does it consist of?

Yep
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 8:08:42 AM
At 4/6/2015 8:06:35 AM, Arcanas wrote:
Whose your vice?

What's the DDO Elite?

You'll have to read my black hat guide to being legendary, which may give you some hints, but I've already said too much.

Yep
ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 8:09:10 AM
Whose your vice?

What's the DDO Elite?

Yep

Like I said no one knows it's just speculation but we have determined they have multiple alts.

Fun fact of the week

Joke of the week:
Arcanas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 8:25:10 AM
At 4/6/2015 8:09:10 AM, ClashnBoom wrote:
Whose your vice?

What's the DDO Elite?

Yep

Like I said no one knows *it's just speculation*

This
but *we have determined* they have multiple alts.
Clearly contradicts with the first part of ten sentence lol.
Arcanas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 8:28:26 AM
At 4/6/2015 8:25:10 AM, Arcanas wrote:
At 4/6/2015 8:09:10 AM, ClashnBoom wrote:
Whose your vice?

What's the DDO Elite?

Yep

Like I said no one knows *it's just speculation*

This
but *we have determined* they have multiple alts.
Clearly contradicts with the first part of ten sentence lol.

*The
Arcanas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 3:25:46 PM
*Update*

I have a running mate now! Meet ShaneTheTrain (Or just call him Shane). He's one of my friends IRL who has decided to join debate.org and assist me in the elections.

Profile: http://www.debate.org...
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 3:40:12 PM
At 4/6/2015 3:25:46 PM, Arcanas wrote:
*Update*

I have a running mate now! Meet ShaneTheTrain (Or just call him Shane). He's one of my friends IRL who has decided to join debate.org and assist me in the elections.

You sound like a promising candidate. But you and your partner literally just joined. How about you give it some time so you can join the DDO family, get to know people, and build friendships and learn how the site works first? You'd be more likely to win then. :)
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
Arcanas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 3:46:58 PM
At 4/6/2015 3:40:12 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
At 4/6/2015 3:25:46 PM, Arcanas wrote:
*Update*

You sound like a promising candidate. But you and your partner literally just joined. How about you give it some time so you can join the DDO family, get to know people, and build friendships and learn how the site works first? You'd be more likely to win then. :)

Thank you for your advice. I think that I'll try running anyway though, as it is a way to get our idea's out there and is also a way for us to contribute to the community if we actually get in. I've already taken a ton of debates and have talked to multiple members so I'm not a complete newb.