Jump to topic:

Mock Trial

EAT_IT_SUKA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 10:33:58 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Alright, I have recently been thinking... do you guys know about this debate: http://www.debate.org... ?

I'll stop beating about the bush, but the debate above got me thinking about whether or not we could have a mock trial on DDO. I don't want to be a lawyer, but the court of law is very intriguing to me.

Anyway, the way I was thinking of doing it was: PRO would be the prosecution, CON the defense. I would make a forum post looking for a judge (a judge would all in all, control the 'debate' by making sure there is proper conduct and relevant arguments--I guess if (s)he wants to at the end, decide the sentence in the comments section if a guilty verdict shows up) and juries (who would work together using PM or forum posts to decide innocence or guilt). The lawyers could call up 4 witnesses max. About the witnesses/evidence: the judge would occasionally present new evidence/witnesses to a lawyer (try to make it fair please) and the lawyers could use that to build on their case. Judges don't necessarily have to give four witnesses/evidence. The only thing is, we would need a case that is fair and could really have a chance to turn out as guilty or innocent, and the evidence would have to be fair as well. The lawyers would have 24 hours to respond.

If you could see this working out, tell me, and if you can, give me a suggestion for a case (make it fair and highly controversial) and make evidence fair but don't tell me. Also, you can tell me if you want to be a judge or jury. Lawyers will be decided later. Thank you for your response. Do you think it could work out?
Vote on these debates please:
http://www.debate.org...
Arcanas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 11:28:40 PM
At 4/6/2015 10:33:58 PM, EAT_IT_SUKA wrote:
Alright, I have recently been thinking... do you guys know about this debate: http://www.debate.org... ?

I'll stop beating about the bush, but the debate above got me thinking about whether or not we could have a mock trial on DDO. I don't want to be a lawyer, but the court of law is very intriguing to me.

Anyway, the way I was thinking of doing it was: PRO would be the prosecution, CON the defense. I would make a forum post looking for a judge (a judge would all in all, control the 'debate' by making sure there is proper conduct and relevant arguments--I guess if (s)he wants to at the end, decide the sentence in the comments section if a guilty verdict shows up) and juries (who would work together using PM or forum posts to decide innocence or guilt). The lawyers could call up 4 witnesses max. About the witnesses/evidence: the judge would occasionally present new evidence/witnesses to a lawyer (try to make it fair please) and the lawyers could use that to build on their case. Judges don't necessarily have to give four witnesses/evidence. The only thing is, we would need a case that is fair and could really have a chance to turn out as guilty or innocent, and the evidence would have to be fair as well. The lawyers would have 24 hours to respond.

If you could see this working out, tell me, and if you can, give me a suggestion for a case (make it fair and highly controversial) and make evidence fair but don't tell me. Also, you can tell me if you want to be a judge or jury. Lawyers will be decided later. Thank you for your response. Do you think it could work out?

I'd be interested in being a lawyer, as I have family who are/have been in law. I also love to study it and I even have a copy of books written by famous lawyers that essentially explain how to make effective cases in the courtroom. I would love to participate in some way.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 11:43:16 PM

Love the idea.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2015 12:28:18 AM
I can be the person on trial, but I wan to be represented by an attorney, and I'll neither take the stand in my own defense or read the debate. Despite not reading it, I will place a vote.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2015 4:58:38 AM
Sig change.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Juris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2015 5:00:41 AM
anyway, you can set the rules before debating so you can have that format. No need to add another section in ddo for that
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2015 1:20:03 PM

The only thing is, we would need a case that is fair and could really have a chance to turn out as guilty or innocent, and the evidence would have to be fair as well.

I volunteer
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
EAT_IT_SUKA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2015 8:01:37 PM
OFFICIAL RULES FOR THE MOCK DEBATE
-Prosecution will be PRO, defense will be CON

-There will be four rounds of debating:
Round 1) Opening statements by prosecution and defense
Round 2) Elaboration on evidence/Witness calling/Rebuttals
Round 3) Witness Calling/Cross Examination/Rebuttals/More Evidence
Round 4) Closing Statements/Rebuttals

-The prosecution has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant is guilty; if the jurists have a reasonable doubt that the defendant is guilty then they shall rule the defendant innocent

-The defense has to at least prove that there is a reasonable doubt that the defendant is innocent to win this debate

-There will be witnesses that will be pawned off by judges every so often. Here is the process: The most important part of a judge's job is to post the lawyers arguments. The lawyers, when asking a witness questions, will send their post to a witness, who will then fill in what they would answer to the question being asked; the witness will then send the arguments to the judge and back to both lawyers; the lawyer may edit any conclusion they have; then, the lawyer sends their revised arguments to the judge who will post the arguments. The lawyer has the option to change their questions when they receive the PM back from the witness, thus restarting the process and the opposing lawyer may make objections to the judge in the comments before the judge posts the arguments.

-Both lawyers can make objections that may be overruled or sustained by the judge.

-There will be a judge that will control the debate (makes sure conduct is well maintained, makes sure arguments are relevant, etc.), occasionally gives evidence to one of the lawyers at a time (makes sure the evidence is biased and still makes the case fair; does not have to give all four pieces of evidence to lawyers, but they have to give all four witnesses to each lawyer) and can make a sentence if the verdict is guilty. The most important part of a judge's job is to post the lawyers arguments. The lawyers, when asking a witness questions, will send their post to a witness, who will then fill in what they would answer to the question being asked; the witness will then send the arguments to the judge and back to both lawyers; the lawyer may edit any conclusion they have; then, the lawyer sends their revised arguments to the judge who will post the arguments. The lawyer has the option to change their questions when they receive the PM back from the witness, thus restarting the process and the opposing lawyer may make objections to the judge in the comments before the judge posts the arguments. A jury may volunteer to be a jury and the person who posts the other lawyer's arguments. The judge can also sustain or overrule objections made by lawyers in comments section after an opponent's argument

-There will be a maximum of 9 jurors that will work together to decide whether or not the defendant is guilty. All jurors must agree on the same verdict to rule, and every juror must get a chance to say where they stand on the debate and then reach a consensus with their fellow jurors. The jurors will confer via a separate forum post that nobody else involved can know what it is
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alright, I made a change. I am officially the judge and will post arguments for the prosecution, because I want to see how this goes down before I want to be an attorney. Arcanas officially has first dibs on whether (s)he wants to be jury that posts arguments for the defense, just a regular jury for a witness. I will be assigning witnesses, so don't worry about that. TBR has second dibs on who (s)he wants to be, Wylted has first dibs on being the defendant, and then ethang5 and imabench have next dibs. Of course, you don't have to be anything if you don't want to. If you have any questions, comments, queries or concerns, ask me and please do give me suggestions to build this mock trial off of. I have found a source that we can find a case to put to trial, and I will be deciding the case, but you can make suggestions for a case that you made up or from the website: http://www.isba.org...

Thank you.
EAT_IT_SUKA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2015 8:17:17 PM
At 4/7/2015 8:01:37 PM, EAT_IT_SUKA wrote:

-The prosecution has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant is guilty; if the jurists have a reasonable doubt that the defendant is guilty then they shall rule the defendant innocent

-The defense has to at least prove that there is a reasonable doubt that the defendant is innocent to win this debate

-There will be witnesses that will be pawned off by judges every so often. Here is the process: The most important part of a judge's job is to post the lawyers arguments. The lawyers, when asking a witness questions, will send their post to a witness, who will then fill in what they would answer to the question being asked; the witness will then send the arguments to the judge and back to both lawyers; the lawyer may edit any conclusion they have; then, the lawyer sends their revised arguments to the judge who will post the arguments. The lawyer has the option to change their questions when they receive the PM back from the witness, thus restarting the process and the opposing lawyer may make objections to the judge in the comments before the judge posts the arguments.

-Both lawyers can make objections that may be overruled or sustained by the judge.

-There will be a judge that will control the debate (makes sure conduct is well maintained, makes sure arguments are relevant, etc.), occasionally gives evidence to one of the lawyers at a time (makes sure the evidence is biased and still makes the case fair; does not have to give all four pieces of evidence to lawyers, but they have to give all four witnesses to each lawyer) and can make a sentence if the verdict is guilty. The most important part of a judge's job is to post the lawyers arguments. The lawyers, when asking a witness questions, will send their post to a witness, who will then fill in what they would answer to the question being asked; the witness will then send the arguments to the judge and back to both lawyers; the lawyer may edit any conclusion they have; then, the lawyer sends their revised arguments to the judge who will post the arguments. The lawyer has the option to change their questions when they receive the PM back from the witness, thus restarting the process and the opposing lawyer may make objections to the judge in the comments before the judge posts the arguments. A jury may volunteer to be a jury and the person who posts the other lawyer's arguments. The judge can also sustain or overrule objections made by lawyers in comments section after an opponent's argument

-There will be a maximum of 9 jurors that will work together to decide whether or not the defendant is guilty. All jurors must agree on the same verdict to rule, and every juror must get a chance to say where they stand on the debate and then reach a consensus with their fellow jurors. The jurors will confer via a separate forum post that nobody else involved can know what it is
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alright, I made a change. I am officially the judge and will post arguments for the prosecution, because I want to see how this goes down before I want to be an attorney. Arcanas officially has first dibs on whether (s)he wants to be jury that posts arguments for the defense, just a regular jury for a witness. I will be assigning witnesses, so don't worry about that. TBR has second dibs on who (s)he wants to be, Wylted has first dibs on being the defendant, and then ethang5 and imabench have next dibs. Of course, you don't have to be anything if you don't want to. If you have any questions, comments, queries or concerns, ask me and please do give me suggestions to build this mock trial off of. I have found a source that we can find a case to put to trial, and I will be deciding the case, but you can make suggestions for a case that you made up or from the website: http://www.isba.org...

Thank you.

Oh sorry, I forgot about lawyers. Yes, you can choose to be a lawyer as well, prosecution or defense.
EAT_IT_SUKA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2015 8:29:10 PM
At 4/7/2015 8:17:17 PM, EAT_IT_SUKA wrote:

Thank you.

I'd lose my head if it wasn't attached. Anyway, the judge will not post arguments, but will regulate them. Everything still has to be sent to the judge though. The judge will just make sure nobody is cheating by editing witness statements or something, the only change in the system is THE JUDGE WILL NOT POST ARGUMENTS.
That1User
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2015 8:33:34 PM
At 4/7/2015 8:17:17 PM, EAT_IT_SUKA wrote:
I think the best trial will be the Ima Trial, since he has been temp banned about 5 times. "Ima Trial" I will be willing to be either the prosecution or the defense.
"Our life is what our thoughts make it."
R13; Marcus Aurelius
"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -Marcus Aurelius
"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." -Voltaire
"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do. "-Voltaire
EAT_IT_SUKA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2015 8:44:46 PM
That1User, thanks for the suggestion, but what is the Ima trial? Yes, you can be a lawyer, but I don't think it will be available to you because you currently have last dibs. Thanks for the suggestion again, that's helpful. You can also be
a) A jury
b) A witness
c) A lawyer (prosecution or defense; if still available)

PM me or comment back if you want to take on another role.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2015 12:24:54 AM
At 4/7/2015 8:38:31 PM, EAT_IT_SUKA wrote:
It is official: Wylted is the defendant for whatever case we use.

ah f***
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2015 12:27:14 AM
At 4/7/2015 8:44:46 PM, EAT_IT_SUKA wrote:
That1User, thanks for the suggestion, but what is the Ima trial?

The trial of me, since people refer to me as 'Ima'

Yes, you can be a lawyer, but I don't think it will be available to you because you currently have last dibs. Thanks for the suggestion again, that's helpful. You can also be
a) A jury
b) A witness
c) A lawyer (prosecution or defense; if still available)

PM me or comment back if you want to take on another role.

EAT_IT_SUKA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2015 10:50:15 AM
Alright. Nobody has stepped up to be a lawyer except imabench, so I will give 4 hours for the person with the dibs before imabench (TBR, ethang5) until 4: 00PM this afternoon to choose who they want to be. If nobody responds, then imabench wil get the defense attaorney role.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2015 11:15:36 AM
At 4/8/2015 10:50:15 AM, EAT_IT_SUKA wrote:
Alright. Nobody has stepped up to be a lawyer except imabench, so I will give 4 hours for the person with the dibs before imabench (TBR, ethang5) until 4: 00PM this afternoon to choose who they want to be. If nobody responds, then imabench wil get the defense attaorney role.

What are the charges?
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2015 2:32:45 PM

can I switch to prosecution?

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2015 2:37:57 PM
At 4/8/2015 2:35:37 PM, Varrack wrote:
Who or what is on trial?

Wylted

EAT_IT_SUKA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2015 3:05:16 PM

-There will be a maximum of 9 jurors that will work together to decide whether or not the defendant is guilty. All jurors must agree on the same verdict to rule, and every juror must get a chance to say where they stand on the debate and then reach a consensus with their fellow jurors. The jurors will confer via a separate forum post that nobody else involved can know what it is.

Also, the prosecution and defense cannot use witnesses or evidence unless I give them some. Thank you.
I got the case from here but took out/changed names of the case as well as where the case takes place: http://www.isba.org...

Alright. Wylted is on trial for the charges of home invasion and aggravated battery:

Now on this fine day of June, comes into Court [insert prosecution] prosecutes Wylted, informing the Court that Wylted, of on or about the 16th day of May, in the year 2014, at and within New York City, committed the offense of, HOME INVASION, in that said defendant, who was not a police officer acting in the line of duty, entered the dwelling of John Morgan knowing John Morgan to be present and, while armed with a stun gun, used force against John Morgan, a person within the dwelling place, in that said defendant battered John Morgan with defendant"s fists and with a stun gun.

The Defendant, Wylted, is charged with having
committed the following criminal acts:

1. On or about May 16, 2014, at and within the city of New York City, the Defendant committed the offense of Home Invasion in that said Defendant, while armed with a
stun gun and with the use of force against John Morgan entered the dwelling of John Morgan knowing John Morgan to be present and not a peace officer acting in the line of duty.

2. On or about May 16, 2014, at and within New York City, Defendant committed the offense of Aggravated Battery, in that said Defendant, without legal justification, intentionally caused bodily harm to John Morgan, in that said Defendant battered
John Morgan while masked and hooded in such a manner as to conceal Defendant"s identity.

The Defendant has pleaded not guilty to all of the charges.
Alright, TBR asked a legitimate question before he accepted to play a role, so I now give ethang5 and TBR until 6:00 PM this afternoon to decide.

Thank you.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2015 3:57:09 PM
At 4/8/2015 2:32:45 PM, imabench wrote:

can I switch to prosecution?

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2015 4:10:26 PM
At 4/8/2015 12:24:54 AM, imabench wrote:

ah f***

You can have it. It will be more entertaining from you.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2015 4:10:54 PM

Give it to Imabench if it isn't too late
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2015 4:15:33 PM
At 4/8/2015 4:13:04 PM, EAT_IT_SUKA wrote:
Well Wylted, Imabench wants to be a prosecutor. Why do you want to give up your role?

He'd be better as a defendant, but whatever. I can keep it and don't want any other roles
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2015 4:17:33 PM
At 4/8/2015 4:10:54 PM, Wylted wrote:

Give it to Imabench if it isn't too late

im cool with that, and im sure this way it will get a lot more attention