Jump to topic:

DDO Political Debate : Abolish the Presidency

Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2015 5:13:58 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I asked max could I post this and go no response in like 3 days so heres hoping hes cool with it

With the election coming up, I think its a discussion worth having and a all star line up.

Pro

Myself
Bluesteel

Con

Bladerunner
Max

This needs to be seen by the site
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2015 11:58:38 PM
16kadams should be in the debate. He is the new king of DDO.

Rumor tells that he hath slain three Hall of Fame members in a single sitting, and he twice turned down a moderator position because he didn't want to lose any power or influence. He once correctly identified an entire scum team while the game was still in sign-ups. He made Bornofgod agnostic and zarroette a feminist. The mere utterance of his name brings women to climax, he stacks paper to the ceiling, and rides on 24 inch chrome.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 12:00:45 AM
At 4/8/2015 11:58:38 PM, Maikuru wrote:

Rumor tells that he hath slain three Hall of Fame members in a single sitting, and he twice turned down a moderator position because he didn't want to lose any power or influence. He once correctly identified an entire scum team while the game was still in sign-ups. He made Bornofgod agnostic and zarroette a feminist. The mere utterance of his name brings women to climax, he stacks paper to the ceiling, and rides on 24 inch chrome.

He's rand Paul
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 12:03:08 AM
At 4/9/2015 12:00:45 AM, Mikal wrote:

He's rand Paul

Then there can be no doubt. He is the way, the truth, and the life.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 12:09:35 AM

wtf
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 12:10:17 AM
At 4/9/2015 12:00:45 AM, Mikal wrote:

He's rand Paul

lololol

I take that as a compliment :P
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 12:13:05 AM
At 4/8/2015 5:13:58 PM, Mikal wrote:
I asked max could I post this and go no response in like 3 days so heres hoping hes cool with it

With the election coming up, I think its a discussion worth having and a all star line up.

Pro

Myself
Bluesteel

Con

Bladerunner
Max

You would.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 12:13:36 AM

You know what, accepted.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 12:14:32 AM
At 4/9/2015 12:13:36 AM, 16kadams wrote:

You know what, accepted.

Now when the HoF thing happens ima nominate myself 100 times. I didn't do 341 debates in 3 years for nothing :P
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 1:06:14 PM

Pro

Myself
Bluesteel

Con

Bladerunner
Max

But what would this site do without the additional drama and antagonism between groups of people who barely know each other?
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 1:06:37 PM
At 4/9/2015 1:06:14 PM, Geogeer wrote:

Pro

Myself
Bluesteel

Con

Bladerunner
Max

But what would this site do without the additional drama and antagonism between groups of people who barely know each other?

better
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 1:13:18 PM

I'm down for declaring 16kadams the new king of DDO, in Airmax's place
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
2001bhu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 1:16:26 PM

Who can run and who gets to vote?
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 1:17:12 PM
At 4/9/2015 1:16:26 PM, 2001bhu wrote:

Everyone except for you
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
2001bhu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 1:22:23 PM
At 4/9/2015 1:17:12 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 4/9/2015 1:16:26 PM, 2001bhu wrote:

Everyone except for you

no really how does it work?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 4:46:51 PM
I think that the presidency has to change to meet with the changing currents at Juggle. We're all aware of the unique (read: unlike any other) series of unfortunate events that unfolded prior to Ore's presidency, but that's not a reason to abolish the presidency. It's a one-time isolated event, not the beginning or indication of any kind of broader trend.

Part of the reason I'm running for president is to facilitate that change, because (1) I think I can do it, and (2) I don't know of anyone else that can do it the way it needs to be done. It goes without saying that the presidency, as an office, has "issues." But, those issues need not remain. As with any leadership position, it is as good or bad as the holder of it makes it into -and that's something that's got to be considered.

The other part of the reason that I'm running for president is because I think that I'll do not only a good job -but a better one than anyone else who could run. I was deeply involved in Max's presidency, especially, and I think that the experience there -and the experience that I've had in the forum lends itself to an understanding of the particularities of this forum that very few people probably have. I also have a pretty good working relationship with Max, which means that things are going to be relatively seamless.

Much as I hate to pitch the "get back to" narrative, that's what I'm selling here: continuity from Max's administration. He and I did not always see eye to eye, but with 95% of the stuff he did we agreed.

I think as well that there isn't really a need to have any kind of a discussion about banning toxic members because that issue is moot now. The "toxic" members have moderated themselves, and rather than 'fighting stuff' I'd rather proactively try to organize some structures that (1) make DDO a pleasant place to be, that is (2) dynamic and engaging where it needs to be and low-key and chill where it needs to be.

Bsh1 has really gone out of his way to come up with a list of stuff to work with juggle about, and that's something that we'll announce at a later date as well. The hashtag and "@" features that I'm told Twitter has would, for example, be excellent forum updates. I'm not sure how viable it is to make that happen, but I can physically visit Juggle if I have to -and I think Max and I might do that sometime later this Summer if he's still amenable.

While it's true that I could probably do most of the stuff I want to do without being elected, there's something to be said for the value in democratic participation. Me just tossing out ideas and stuff is nice and good, but when people buy into a leader as a person there's a sense of legitimacy that comes with what that person says. It's the difference between me telling Juggle, "Hey, here are my ideas." and me telling Juggle "Hey, the people who generate ad revenue on your site have chosen me to bring some stuff to you, because this is a feature on the site that they would like to see be implemented. #increasedadrevenue." lol

But that's just some stuff to think about. I don't really want to say a whole lot more about this because I'm not campaigning to hold the office. It's because I think the holding the office is actually necessary to do what needs to be done, that I'm running. I don't even care if we change the name of the office... maybe "ambassador" or something would be more appropriate anyway.
Tsar of DDO
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 5:14:29 PM
I think there is value in having an elected representative. Most people in power in the government are directly or indirectly elected from below. In corporations, they are chosen and promoted from above. The moderation team works like a corporation (i.e. an opt-in monarchy) where Airmax makes the choices on who to include. It has its advantages and disadvantages to a democracy. After all, corporations in real life are a type of monarchy. And in the end, Juggle is a corporation so their structure is going to fit with how a monarchy operates. No corporation works democratically through employees electing its CEO and higher ups. I think there's value in having a simultaneous democracy on the site of elected representatives as a foil to the monarchy of moderators.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 7:14:43 PM
At 4/9/2015 1:13:18 PM, thett3 wrote:

I'm down for declaring 16kadams the new king of DDO, in Airmax's place

OK peasant. I accept your offering.