Total Posts:6|Showing Posts:1-6
Jump to topic:

Change in Moderation Policy on Polls Section

Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,067
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2015 1:53:13 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
In case anybody missed the memo, the Polls section has a serious bias problem. I've probably contributed to the problem in some way, but still.
I propose that all polls which are blatantly biased be deleted. I apologize to the Mods because this would obviously mean more work for them, but the Polls are full of such biased polls and it's kind of a problem.
In fact, since such biased polls are often inflammatory, they have the the potential for causing nasty flame wars.
To demonstrate, let's say that a user named "Godhatesabortion" makes a poll called "How would you describe Pro-Choicers?" The options would include Animals, Savages, Mass murderers, B**t*rds, etc. Obviously such a poll has the potential to infuriate a Pro-Choice member(s) and lead to a particularly aggressive flame war in the comments section of that poll. This is an extreme example, but it's not implausible.
In any case, biased polls should be deleted.

How do I know that they aren't already? Well, I don't know this, but the "Report this poll" option doesn't have "Poll Bias" as a given reason for reporting a poll.
I know most of you don't give a rat's crap about the Polls Section, but some people here do. So please, let's clean up the Polls Section.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,067
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2015 2:08:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/12/2015 1:53:13 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
In case anybody missed the memo, the Polls section has a serious bias problem. I've probably contributed to the problem in some way, but still.
I propose that all polls which are blatantly biased be deleted. I apologize to the Mods because this would obviously mean more work for them, but the Polls are full of such biased polls and it's kind of a problem.
In fact, since such biased polls are often inflammatory, they have the the potential for causing nasty flame wars.
To demonstrate, let's say that a user named "Godhatesabortion" makes a poll called "How would you describe Pro-Choicers?" The options would include Animals, Savages, Mass murderers, B**t*rds, etc. Obviously such a poll has the potential to infuriate a Pro-Choice member(s) and lead to a particularly aggressive flame war in the comments section of that poll. This is an extreme example, but it's not implausible.
In any case, biased polls should be deleted.

How do I know that they aren't already? Well, I don't know this, but the "Report this poll" option doesn't have "Poll Bias" as a given reason for reporting a poll.
I know most of you don't give a rat's crap about the Polls Section, but some people here do. So please, let's clean up the Polls Section.

First of all, how is a "biased poll" defined? Well, a biased poll generally meets these two criteria:
1. It doesn't allow people other than the Poll creator to add options
2. The options included are all in favor of a certain stance-belief or against/criticizing/mocking a certain stance/belief
If a Poll meets both of these criteria then congratulations! You've come across a biased poll. Of course, there's always the possibility of polls which are biased in another manner. Good judgment really is the only way to be able to spot a biased poll.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
mishapqueen
Posts: 3,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2015 2:14:12 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I think Peters is putting effort into that and is working with Airmax to fix problems like this. I reccomend you talk to her.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2015 1:35:19 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/12/2015 2:08:27 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 4/12/2015 1:53:13 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
In case anybody missed the memo, the Polls section has a serious bias problem. I've probably contributed to the problem in some way, but still.
I propose that all polls which are blatantly biased be deleted. I apologize to the Mods because this would obviously mean more work for them, but the Polls are full of such biased polls and it's kind of a problem.
In fact, since such biased polls are often inflammatory, they have the the potential for causing nasty flame wars.
To demonstrate, let's say that a user named "Godhatesabortion" makes a poll called "How would you describe Pro-Choicers?" The options would include Animals, Savages, Mass murderers, B**t*rds, etc. Obviously such a poll has the potential to infuriate a Pro-Choice member(s) and lead to a particularly aggressive flame war in the comments section of that poll. This is an extreme example, but it's not implausible.
In any case, biased polls should be deleted.

How do I know that they aren't already? Well, I don't know this, but the "Report this poll" option doesn't have "Poll Bias" as a given reason for reporting a poll.
I know most of you don't give a rat's crap about the Polls Section, but some people here do. So please, let's clean up the Polls Section.

First of all, how is a "biased poll" defined? Well, a biased poll generally meets these two criteria:
1. It doesn't allow people other than the Poll creator to add options
2. The options included are all in favor of a certain stance-belief or against/criticizing/mocking a certain stance/belief
If a Poll meets both of these criteria then congratulations! You've come across a biased poll. Of course, there's always the possibility of polls which are biased in another manner. Good judgment really is the only way to be able to spot a biased poll.

How about loaded questions? Sometimes, the two choice are 'Yes, I'm for infanticide (or whatever the term is for foetuses/foeti)' and 'No, I know murder is wrong and oppose abortion'. Sometimes the images are biased, but the texts are simply 'Yes' and 'No'. They constitute a rather large grey area IMO.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,067
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2015 7:22:35 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/13/2015 1:35:19 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 4/12/2015 2:08:27 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 4/12/2015 1:53:13 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
In case anybody missed the memo, the Polls section has a serious bias problem. I've probably contributed to the problem in some way, but still.
I propose that all polls which are blatantly biased be deleted. I apologize to the Mods because this would obviously mean more work for them, but the Polls are full of such biased polls and it's kind of a problem.
In fact, since such biased polls are often inflammatory, they have the the potential for causing nasty flame wars.
To demonstrate, let's say that a user named "Godhatesabortion" makes a poll called "How would you describe Pro-Choicers?" The options would include Animals, Savages, Mass murderers, B**t*rds, etc. Obviously such a poll has the potential to infuriate a Pro-Choice member(s) and lead to a particularly aggressive flame war in the comments section of that poll. This is an extreme example, but it's not implausible.
In any case, biased polls should be deleted.

How do I know that they aren't already? Well, I don't know this, but the "Report this poll" option doesn't have "Poll Bias" as a given reason for reporting a poll.
I know most of you don't give a rat's crap about the Polls Section, but some people here do. So please, let's clean up the Polls Section.

First of all, how is a "biased poll" defined? Well, a biased poll generally meets these two criteria:
1. It doesn't allow people other than the Poll creator to add options
2. The options included are all in favor of a certain stance-belief or against/criticizing/mocking a certain stance/belief
If a Poll meets both of these criteria then congratulations! You've come across a biased poll. Of course, there's always the possibility of polls which are biased in another manner. Good judgment really is the only way to be able to spot a biased poll.

How about loaded questions? Sometimes, the two choice are 'Yes, I'm for infanticide (or whatever the term is for foetuses/foeti)' and 'No, I know murder is wrong and oppose abortion'. Sometimes the images are biased, but the texts are simply 'Yes' and 'No'. They constitute a rather large grey area IMO.

That's another example of a biased poll. Thanks for pointing that out.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid