Jump to topic:

Is it frustrating being a good arguer?

Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 9:54:00 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I could imagine this being a problem in personal relationships and in social situations. If you're almost always right on issues it seems like people would start to resent you. Do you have this problem?
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 10:06:32 AM
Yes, I most definitely have this problem. Anytime I try to discuss any political or social issue with my wife it ends the same way. She says the same thing every time. That's just how I "feel" I can't explain why. Then I say "how can you defend positions that you can't explain." Then that is the end of all intellectual discussion on those two subjects.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 10:16:17 AM
If you piss people off because you're "good" at arguing, you aren't good at arguing. A person who's actually skilled at arguing can make others agree with him, or at least word his arguments in a way that sounds reasonable and fair that will anger very few
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 10:24:28 AM
At 4/14/2015 10:16:17 AM, thett3 wrote:
If you piss people off because you're "good" at arguing, you aren't good at arguing. A person who's actually skilled at arguing can make others agree with him, or at least word his arguments in a way that sounds reasonable and fair that will anger very few

I would make a distinction between argument and rhetoric. Argument is based on what is, while rhetoric is based on getting others to accept your view by any means necessary. A mathematician can argue a theory perfectly but still fail to convince a layman because he isn't good at rhetoric.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 10:27:09 AM
At 4/14/2015 10:24:28 AM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 4/14/2015 10:16:17 AM, thett3 wrote:

I would make a distinction between argument and rhetoric. Argument is based on what is, while rhetoric is based on getting others to accept your view by any means necessary. A mathematician can argue a theory perfectly but still fail to convince a layman because he isn't good at rhetoric.

Maybe so, but I took it as the OP was referring more to the art of persuasion
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 10:55:41 AM
At 4/14/2015 9:54:00 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
I could imagine this being a problem in personal relationships and in social situations. If you're almost always right on issues it seems like people would start to resent you. Do you have this problem?

No, you fix this by fixing their arguments for them, so you're arguing against the best possible version of their argument. Also, maybe you just keep your mouth shut, when you're right sometimes, because it just isn't worth it.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 11:06:25 AM

Maybe you should focus more on discussion. Arguments are where you put your best opinion forth and you defend it as best as possible. Discussion is where you exchange information with the other person.

In relationships the latter is much better - and it is more likely for you both to accept the actual truth of the situation.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 11:48:20 AM
At 4/14/2015 11:06:25 AM, Geogeer wrote:

Maybe you should focus more on discussion. Arguments are where you put your best opinion forth and you defend it as best as possible. Discussion is where you exchange information with the other person.

In relationships the latter is much better - and it is more likely for you both to accept the actual truth of the situation.

I just convert all my girlfriends arguments into modal logic and syllogisms and tell her how wrong she is. She loves me.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 11:50:25 AM
At 4/14/2015 11:48:20 AM, zmikecuber wrote:

I just convert all my girlfriends arguments into modal logic and syllogisms and tell her how wrong she is. She loves me.

Yeah, its cute when you're dating. Try that cr@p when you're married, and you'll be sleeping on the couch for many a night.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 11:50:59 AM

Umm..... I'm not a relationship guru, but it seems Ike a bad ideal.

I'm just learning to ignore what mine says (because women are illogical), and just focus on how what she is saying means she feels.

Men want their logic appealed to, women prefer their feelings appealed to.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 12:09:47 PM
At 4/14/2015 11:50:25 AM, Geogeer wrote:

Yeah, its cute when you're dating. Try that cr@p when you're married, and you'll be sleeping on the couch for many a night.

Lol, no I would never do that. ;) My gf would kill me.

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 12:11:15 PM
At 4/14/2015 11:50:59 AM, Wylted wrote:

I'm just learning to ignore what mine says (because women are illogical), and just focus on how what she is saying means she feels.

You mean women don't like being insulted...?

Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 12:13:37 PM
At 4/14/2015 12:09:47 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

http://giphy.com...
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 12:15:54 PM
At 4/14/2015 12:13:37 PM, Geogeer wrote:

And that's just dating... This is what happens after marriage...

zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 12:17:48 PM
At 4/14/2015 12:15:54 PM, Geogeer wrote:

-o How come my gf looks like a man and I look like a woman??

zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 12:18:15 PM
At 4/14/2015 12:15:54 PM, Geogeer wrote:

Ohh wait, nvm. That's me getting slapped...

Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 1:29:06 PM
At 4/14/2015 10:06:32 AM, sadolite wrote:
Yes, I most definitely have this problem. Anytime I try to discuss any political or social issue with my wife it ends the same way. She says the same thing every time. That's just how I "feel" I can't explain why. Then I say "how can you defend positions that you can't explain." Then that is the end of all intellectual discussion on those two subjects.

Why did you marry someone you can't even discuss things with? I've literally broken up with girls because they argue nothing but emotional appeals. If I can't hold a long or deep conversation where we can discuss our differing opinions rationally, then the relationship isn't going to work for me. I don't think I could ever marry someone who I can't discuss things rationally with or with reason.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 1:40:05 PM

Not if you are so persuasive they agree you are right and love you for it.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 1:56:17 PM
When I'm arguing with my dad he usually tries changes the subject and my mom gets really really mad if you argue with her about anything at all. Especially if you're right. So I usually shut up when she makes an argument.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 2:10:00 PM
At 4/14/2015 1:29:06 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Why did you marry someone you can't even discuss things with? I've literally broken up with girls because they argue nothing but emotional appeals. If I can't hold a long or deep conversation where we can discuss our differing opinions rationally, then the relationship isn't going to work for me. I don't think I could ever marry someone who I can't discuss things rationally with or with reason.

It wasn't an issue for several years. It wasn't until she got her citizenship and started voting did we have this problem. When you commit to marry you marry for better or worse. Diametric opposition on political and social issues is not a sufficient reason to divorce. Maybe for some it is, but not me. We just don't discuss it at all.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 2:14:50 PM

I wouldn't know, I never win arguments.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 2:54:58 PM
At 4/14/2015 11:50:59 AM, Wylted wrote:

You're exactly right. Women (in my experience) appeal to emotion and feeling and men appeal to logic. Some women just hate it when you disagree with them even if you're trying to have a rational different point of view.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 3:19:57 PM
At 4/14/2015 2:10:00 PM, sadolite wrote:

It wasn't an issue for several years. It wasn't until she got her citizenship and started voting did we have this problem. When you commit to marry you marry for better or worse. Diametric opposition on political and social issues is not a sufficient reason to divorce. Maybe for some it is, but not me. We just don't discuss it at all.

Yeah I can get what you're saying. If it didn't bother me at first, and I ended up having children with her then I wouldn't break my family apart for something like that. Where we differ is that I wouldn't marry her in the first place because it already bugs me. But you're a different scenario altogether in the sense that it didn't bother you at first. I've often thought of the possibility of marrying a non-American myself, I'll have to pay extra close attention to her political and social leanings beforehand, lol :)
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 3:34:25 PM
Tulle gets made about this whenever we argue.

tulle: I'm upset about something. It's not a debate.
me: What's the difference?
tulle: The difference is shut up.

There's no coming back from that.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
8elB6U5THIqaSm5QhiNLVnRJA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 3:48:54 PM

I consider myself a brilliant arguer but even more brilliant at intentionally losing an argument for the greater good. It helps sometimes. Other times, the relationship is so sht that I don't see the point in not arguing.

That said, I don't believe in love nor seek it. I prefer platonic relationships.
hey b0ss ( V5;" V0;B2; V5;")
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 4:25:38 PM
At 4/14/2015 3:34:25 PM, Maikuru wrote:
Tulle gets made about this whenever we argue.

tulle: I'm upset about something. It's not a debate.
me: What's the difference?
tulle: The difference is shut up.

There's no coming back from that.

This sounds all too familiar. I secretly take her response as a concession and congratulate myself for winning.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 6:28:56 PM
At 4/14/2015 3:19:57 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 4/14/2015 2:10:00 PM, sadolite wrote:

Yeah I can get what you're saying. If it didn't bother me at first, and I ended up having children with her then I wouldn't break my family apart for something like that. Where we differ is that I wouldn't marry her in the first place because it already bugs me. But you're a different scenario altogether in the sense that it didn't bother you at first. I've often thought of the possibility of marrying a non-American myself, I'll have to pay extra close attention to her political and social leanings beforehand, lol :)

There are three kinds of people who immigrate to the US. The first kind embrace capitalism and the free market and just want a chance to make it on their own the second kind want to turn America into the socialist sht hole they left and think it will remain prosperous. And the third kind want to rape the welfare system for every dime they can get and send it back home so they can retire in relative comfort in their country back home.

bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 6:36:11 PM

No, i just walk into a room and everyone immediately concedes that I'm right.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Death23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 7:05:01 PM

I typically avoid argument in personal relationships and social situations unless it is clear to me that the discussion will be inquisitive as opposed to being adversarial, and also that the other person is good at thinking critically.

What I find to be most frustrating about argument is that it is so easy to make a mistake. I have to be very careful, and question myself continuously. I don't think I could argue well verbally, because I couldn't look at what I just stated and check for errors.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 7:42:16 PM
At 4/14/2015 6:36:11 PM, bluesteel wrote:

No, i just walk into a room and everyone immediately concedes that I'm right.

Seems legit.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...