Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 10:19:48 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I hate them, do you?
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 10:21:23 PM
At 4/14/2015 10:19:48 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
I hate them, do you?

Nope, probab the best thing to happen to debates. Brevity is perhaps one of the most important thing to consider while trying to form a convincing argument.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 10:21:48 PM
At 4/14/2015 10:21:23 PM, Cermank wrote:
I hate them, do you?

Nope, probab the best thing to happen to debates. Brevity is perhaps one of the most important thing to consider while trying to form a convincing argument.

Not on DDO alone.
Solonkr~

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 10:22:16 PM
I hate them, do you?

In what specifically?
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 10:22:42 PM
I just finished my review of a critique for Lit. Word Limit was 1.6K. I was 3.2K. I got it down to 2K, and have given up.
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 10:22:54 PM
At 4/14/2015 10:21:48 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
I hate them, do you?

Not on DDO alone.

Oh in assignments and stuff?
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 10:23:45 PM
At 4/14/2015 10:22:54 PM, Cermank wrote:
I hate them, do you?

Not on DDO alone.

And essays.

CAPE communication essays are 500 words. How the Hell is anyone supposed to write 500 words alone?!
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 10:25:43 PM
At 4/14/2015 10:23:45 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
I hate them, do you?

Not on DDO alone.

And essays.

CAPE communication essays are 500 words. How the Hell is anyone supposed to write 500 words alone?!

How detailed do you have to be?
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 10:27:34 PM
I hate them, do you?

"[B]revity is the soul of wit" -- Hamlet Act 2, scene 2

Even though I lost because philosophy is gey, I used 9k/10k in my debate with bsh one or two of the rounds
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 10:28:55 PM
I hate them, do you?

Not on DDO alone.

And essays.

I know your pain but after cutting down a 25k character argument into 8k when the limit was 8k max here (wow, I am old ;D) I am kinda OP at shrinking essays. I use a lot of fluff. I try to delete it when I write. But I still fail because yes.
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 10:28:56 PM
At 4/14/2015 10:25:43 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
I hate them, do you?

Not on DDO alone.

And essays.

How detailed do you have to be?

Screw CAPE. Screw word limits.

Ima be detailed to get my marks.

I write fast, and usually finish first in class (like half an hour before everyone else) and have the most pages. I usually write like four pages, (2 back and front), everyone else writes a page and a half tops. And I usually get the highest mark.
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 10:31:40 PM
At 4/14/2015 10:28:55 PM, 16kadams wrote:
I hate them, do you?

Not on DDO alone.

And essays.

I know your pain but after cutting down a 25k character argument into 8k when the limit was 8k max here (wow, I am old ;D) I am kinda OP at shrinking essays. I use a lot of fluff. I try to delete it when I write. But I still fail because yes.

But adjectives are pretty and link words make the world go round.
*sniffles*
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 10:32:47 PM
I hate them, do you?

Not on DDO alone.

And essays.

Haha I actually preferred limiting word limits in my exams- I found the challenge exciting. Plus it gives you an edge because a lot of people go over the limit and get penalized. I think I got like a 95 on English in both my state exams. I had this draft I used to use, tweaking it for individual imprompto topics they gave.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 10:40:17 PM
At 4/14/2015 10:31:40 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 4/14/2015 10:28:55 PM, 16kadams wrote:
I hate them, do you?

Not on DDO alone.

And essays.

But adjectives are pretty and link words make the world go round.
*sniffles*

Emotion is bad. No
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 10:43:00 PM
At 4/14/2015 10:32:47 PM, Cermank wrote:
I hate them, do you?

Not on DDO alone.

And essays.

Haha I actually preferred limiting word limits in my exams- I found the challenge exciting. Plus it gives you an edge because a lot of people go over the limit and get penalized. I think I got like a 95 on English in both my state exams. I had this draft I used to use, tweaking it for individual imprompto topics they gave.

In form 3, I got total, but then penalized 10% in both my Spanish and French essays for going over the word limit. Haha
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 10:45:57 PM

No, because it prevents crap like this:

Democracy has disappeared in several other great nations-not because the people of those nations disliked democracy, but because they had grown tired of unemployment and insecurity, of seeing their children hungry while they sat helpless in the face of government confusion and government weakness through lack of leadership in government. Finally, in desperation, they chose to sacrifice liberty in the hope of getting something to eat. We in America know that our own democratic institutions can be preserved and made to work. But in order to preserve them we need to act together, to meet the problems of the Nation boldly, and to prove that the practical operation of democratic government is equal to the task of protecting the security of the people.

Not only our future economic soundness but the very soundness of our democratic institutions depends on the determination of our Government to give employment to idle men. The people of America are in agreement in defending their liberties at any cost, and the first line of that defense lies in the protection of economic security. Your Government, seeking to protect democracy, must prove that Government is stronger than the forces of business depression.

History proves that dictatorships do not grow out of strong and successful governments, but out of weak and helpless ones. If by democratic methods people get a government strong enough to protect them from fear and starvation, their democracy succeeds; but if they do not, they grow impatient. Therefore, the only sure bulwark of continuing liberty is a government strong enough to protect the interests of the people, and a people strong enough and well enough informed to maintain its sovereign control over its government.

We are a rich Nation; we can afford to pay for security and prosperity without having to sacrifice our liberties in the bargain.

In the first century of our republic we were short of capital, short of workers and short of industrial production; but we were rich in free land, free timber and free mineral wealth. The Federal Government rightly assumed the duty of promoting business and relieving depression by giving subsidies of land and other resources.

Thus, from our earliest days we have had a tradition of substantial government help to our system of private enterprise. But today the government no longer has vast tracts of rich land to give away and we have discovered that we must spend large sums to conserve our land from further erosion and our forests from further depletion. The situation is also very different from the old days, because now we have plenty of capital, banks and insurance companies loaded with idle money; plenty of industrial productive capacity and several millions of workers looking for jobs. It is following tradition as well as necessity, if Government strives to put idle money and idle men to work, to increase our public wealth and to build up the health and strength of the people"and to help our system of private enterprise to function.

It is going to cost Something to get out of this recession this way, but the profit of getting out of it will pay for the cost several times over. Lost working time is lost money. Every day that a workman is unemployed, or a machine is unused, or a business organization is marking time, is a loss to the Nation. Because of idle men and idle machines this Nation lost one hundred billion dollars between 1929 and the spring of 1933. This year you, the people of this country, are making about twelve billion dollars less than last year.

If you think back to the experiences of the early years of this Administration you will remember the doubts and fears expressed about the rising expenses of Government. But to the surprise of the doubters, as we proceeded to carry on the program which included Public Works and Work Relief, the country grew richer instead of poorer.

It is worthwhile to remember that the annual national people's income was thirty billion dollars more in 1937 than in 1932. It is true that the national debt increased sixteen billion dollars, but remember that in this increase must be included several billion dollars worth of assets which eventually will reduce that debt and that many billion dollars of permanent public improvements"schools, roads, bridges, tunnels, public buildings, parks and a host of other things"meet your eye in every one of the thirty one hundred counties in the United States.

No doubt you will be told that the Government spending program of the past five years did not cause the increase in our national income. They will tell you that business revived because of private spending and investment. That is true in part, for the Government spent only a small part of the total. But Government spending acted as a trigger to set off private activity. That is why the total addition to our national production and national income has been so much greater than the contribution of the Government itself.

In pursuance of that thought I said to the Congress today: "I want to make it clear that we do not believe that we can get an adequate rise in national income merely by investing, lending or spending public funds. It is essential in our economy that private funds be put to work and all of us recognize that such funds are entitled to a fair profit."

As national income rises, "let us not forget that Government expenditures will go down and Government tax receipts will go up."

The Government contribution of land that we once made to business was the land of all the people. And the Government contribution of money which we now make to business ultimately comes out of the labor of all the people. It is, therefore, only sound morality, as well as a sound distribution of buying power, that the benefits of the prosperity coming from this use of the money of all the people should be distributed among all the people- at the bottom as well as at the top. Consequently I am again expressing my hope that the Congress will enact at this session a wage and hour bill putting a floor under industrial wages and a limit on working hours"to ensure a better distribution of our prosperity, a better distribution of available work, and a sounder distribution of buying power.

You may get all kinds of impressions in regard to the total cost of this new program, or in regard to the amount that will be added to the net national debt.

It is a big program. Last autumn in a sincere effort to bring Government expenditures and Government income into closer balance, the Budget I worked out called for sharp decreases in Government spending.

In the light of present conditions those estimates were far too low. This new program adds two billion and sixty-two million dollars to direct Treasury expenditures and another nine hundred and fifty million dollars to Government loans"and the latter sum, because they are loans, will come back to the Treasury in the future.

The net effect on the debt of the Government is this: between now and July 1, 1939"fifteen months away"the Treasury will have to raise less than a billion and a half dollars of new money.

Such an addition to the net debt of the United States need not give concern to any citizen, for it will return to the people of the United States many times over in increased buying power and eventually in much greater Government tax receipts because of the increase in the citizen income.

What I said to the Congress in the close of my message I repeat to you.

"Let us unanimously recognize the fact that the Federal debt, whether it be twenty-five billions or forty billions, can only be paid if the Nation obtains a vastly increased citizen income. I repeat that if this citizen income can be raised to eighty billion dollars a year the national Government and the overwhelming majority of State and local governmen
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 12:59:31 AM
Generally, word limits have their place, but they have be overlimiting in certain circumstances. Take, for instance, my pre-proposals for my PhD. I had to condense the entire plan for 3-4 years worth of research into a single page of space. That seemed overlimiting to me, especially as I was asked to include more detail yet keep the page length constant. Limitations can facilitate improved word economy and more direct language, but if those limitations are unreasonable, they only serve to dumb down points that can be better made and explained with more space.

More specifically in debates, though, I think there's a place for limitations. Lars has been experimenting with no character limit debates, and while I think the concept is intriguing and offers some benefits in terms of the scope of the debate, I think it really does more harm than good. Debaters have to invest more time and energy into each successive round as they have more to respond to and more details to add. The number of sources become endless, the structure of the debate oscillates and confuses both the debaters and the voters, and judges just aren't willing to invest the time to analyze it completely. When used by weaker debaters, it becomes a nearly endless showcase of rambling and repetition, and in stronger debates, it becomes a convoluted mess where each side struggles just to keep some semblance of order to their arguments.

Word limits can be taken to extremes, and their removal can also lead to extreme problems. It's important to recognize both.
Arcanas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 11:42:16 AM
Brevity is a useful skill. Sometimes people won't be interested long enough to hear long speeches, and you must convince them to agree with you in a short amount of time/words.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 12:58:20 PM
At 4/14/2015 10:27:34 PM, 16kadams wrote:
I hate them, do you?

Even though I lost because philosophy is gey, I used 9k/10k in my debate with bsh one or two of the rounds

Philosophy is important.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 1:00:42 PM
At 4/15/2015 12:58:20 PM, bsh1 wrote:
I hate them, do you?

Philosophy is important.

Shhh
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 1:01:16 PM
At 4/15/2015 1:00:42 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/15/2015 12:58:20 PM, bsh1 wrote:
I hate them, do you?

Philosophy is important.

Shhh

Lol
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 2:18:27 PM
I hate them, do you?

- True, I had a hard time adjusting to the character limit on debates here. In school we were often required to write at least 20 pages worth of argumentation to count, & I would often write well over 20k words for it. Then again, who's gonna read through 20k words to vote on your debate!!! No one.

- If I had to chose an optimal formula, I would go with a 3 rounds debate:
> 20k characters for the first two rounds.
> 10k for the last round.
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 3:27:48 PM
As someone who often has to grade written assignments, thank god for page limits.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 5:03:02 PM
At 4/15/2015 2:18:27 PM, Yassine wrote:
I hate them, do you?

- True, I had a hard time adjusting to the character limit on debates here. In school we were often required to write at least 20 pages worth of argumentation to count, & I would often write well over 20k words for it. Then again, who's gonna read through 20k words to vote on your debate!!! No one.

- Oh is that why you out dashes EVERYWHERE -_-
> or is it just a bad habit
> who talks in bullets all the time anyway?

- If I had to chose an optimal formula, I would go with a 3 rounds debate:
> 20k characters for the first two rounds.
> 10k for the last round.
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 5:29:22 PM
I hate them, do you?

Not on DDO alone.

And essays.

It seems as though CAPE(Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examination ) communication essay tests a pupil's ability to write a concise essay with proficiency[1]; just like how a DBQ(document based question essay) tests a pupil's ability to analyze documentation, formulate a good, concise thesis, and their ability to support their thesis with evidence.

[1]http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com...
->Define proficiency: The state or quality of being proficient; competence.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 5:40:18 PM
At 4/15/2015 5:03:02 PM, 16kadams wrote:
I hate them, do you?

- LoL! Really clever. I am used to write that way, helps keep my line of thought organised I guess. I am kinda a neat person, I don't like messy things. :)
Current Debates:

16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 5:42:53 PM
At 4/15/2015 5:40:18 PM, Yassine wrote:
I hate them, do you?

- LoL! Really clever. I am used to write that way, helps keep my line of thought organised I guess. I am kinda a neat person, I don't like messy things. :)

Don't worry I'm just being annoying. Do whatever you want. I like it more on the forum than in your debates--but I wouldn't dock you for it if I ever voted
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 5:44:24 PM
At 4/15/2015 5:40:18 PM, Yassine wrote:
I hate them, do you?

http://www.debate.org...

It actually flows using this font
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 5:44:34 PM
At 4/15/2015 5:42:53 PM, 16kadams wrote:
Don't worry I'm just being annoying. Do whatever you want. I like it more on the forum than in your debates--but I wouldn't dock you for it if I ever voted

- Thanks ;)
Current Debates: