Total Posts:15|Showing Posts:1-15
Jump to topic:

When voting, how often do you check sources?

striatedgs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 3:14:41 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I check about [fill in the blank]% of sources in debates I vote on.

Note: I know there is a "POLLS" section on this website, but it doesn't seem to me to get much traffic, so I posted this here. I hope that's OK.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 3:22:59 PM
At 4/15/2015 3:14:41 PM, striatedgs wrote:

Note: I know there is a "POLLS" section on this website, but it doesn't seem to me to get much traffic, so I posted this here. I hope that's OK.

1) The polls get LOTS of traffic
2) Debates I am involved in I check (read) almost always.
3) Debates I am voting on... Depended how critical it is to the debate, how controversial.
4) Casual reading debates, rarely. Only if I am interested in the subject.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 3:52:40 PM
I don't check, it's up to the persons opponent to check and point out flaws or misinterpretations etc.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 5:01:25 PM
Often. I don't usually vote on it but if I'm voting I'm at least mildly interested in the topic so I scan them
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
striatedgs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 5:13:47 PM
At 4/15/2015 3:52:40 PM, Wylted wrote:
I don't check, it's up to the persons opponent to check and point out flaws or misinterpretations etc.

How can you tell whether any flaws in a source that an opponent points out are in fact truly flaws, without checking the source yourself?
striatedgs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 5:17:59 PM
Edit: By "checking a source," I mean clicking the link.

Also, I would appreciate if people could try to give a number as I'm trying to figure out the average.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 6:55:28 PM
You can't have a numerical average. I generally check contested sources. If both sides agree on what a source says, then I typically try not to read them so I don't get influenced by extra arguments beyond the character limit of the debate. I may check them after I've already decided who to vote for though.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 7:00:14 PM
At 4/15/2015 5:13:47 PM, striatedgs wrote:
At 4/15/2015 3:52:40 PM, Wylted wrote:

How can you tell whether any flaws in a source that an opponent points out are in fact truly flaws, without checking the source yourself?

If there is disagreement as to the flaw, I look. If there is no rebuttal for an accusation, then I assume it's there.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 7:01:03 PM
At 4/15/2015 6:55:28 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
You can't have a numerical average. I generally check contested sources. If both sides agree on what a source says, then I typically try not to read them so I don't get influenced by extra arguments beyond the character limit of the debate. I may check them after I've already decided who to vote for though.

That's what I do also. I'm not sure if it came across differently, because of my tone.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 7:04:40 PM
Never unless there's a dispute about what one actually says. It's the debaters job to point out flaws in their opponents sources, not mine
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Death23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 10:04:26 PM
At 4/15/2015 3:14:41 PM, striatedgs wrote:

Source checking is the responsibility of the debaters, and sources are typically used to support factual assertions. I generally won't check sources unless the asserted fact is material to my vote, it is disputed by the opposing debater, and/or it strikes me as dubious.
striatedgs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 10:41:33 AM
The goal of this poll

I would estimate that I check about 1% of all sources listed (this is with respect to debates I haven't voted on, as I've never voted before).

This 1% occurs regardless of whether a source is contested or not, because if it is contested, I rely on the level of indignation of each party to determine who to believe.

My goal in this poll is to try to figure out if this is just me, or if this is commonplace on DDO.

My bias in starting this poll

I believe the fundamental purpose of debate is to change minds.

However, because debates are evaluated on this website not based on whether they change minds but on other factors, I feel that the debaters themselves are incentivized to try to appeal to these factors at the expense of trying to change minds.

I believe this manifests itself with respect to sources in the following ways:

1. Debaters often provide sources for claims that they could support through argumentation. This results in people having debates over something the evidence for which is not immediately apparent to the reader.

2. Debaters often provide many more sources than are necessary, disincentivizing people from checking them because of the sheer quantity of them.

3. Debaters' links for their sources are often to websites with a lot of information without any further instruction as to what specific information on the website they're referencing, which disincentivizes people from reading that website once they get there, and on clicking links in general in the future.

4. Debaters often provide their sources at the end of their rounds rather than in-text citations. This may seem trivial, but in my own experience, it makes a big difference on whether I check a source or don't.

5. In general, checking any source, in my experience, takes a lot of energy. It breaks up my flow when reading a debate (which itself takes a lot of energy), I often lose my spot when I come back to the debate after having checked a source, it often takes a lot of work just to find the pertinent information within the source, and then once I've found the pertinent information I have to try to figure out to what degree a debater accurately paraphrased what the source says, and to what extent that matters. All of these things disincentive me from checking sources in general.

What this means

The effect of all this is that debates that are heavily sourced:

1. Make me so not want to read them (cf. its effect on turning people off the DEBATES section of this website), and

2. If I do read them, they have very little punching power when it comes to influencing my preconceived opinion on a subject, such that my informal evaluation of such debates comes down to superficial considerations of who seems more convincing, rather than who actually is.

Obviously, this like many other things could be remedied by me being less lazy, but at the same I feel that I as well as other readers of debates should be allowed some window of laziness.

What I'm trying to figure out is what that window of laziness should be, and if other people act like me, I think that window should reflect that, and that there should be, for example, a strong prejudice against using sources.

Tl;dr

With respect to this thread, I would greatly appreciate it if people could try to come up with a ballpark figure (a percentage) as to how often they check sources (i.e. click on the link of a source) when voting on a debate.

I know this is a very approximate number in that sources vary in importance depending on the subject of a debate (e.g. philosophical debates vs. scientific debates), but all I'm looking for is a very approximate average for how often people do this.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 10:59:02 AM
3) Debates I am voting on... Depended how critical it is to the debate, how controversial.

As a participant in the debate
- Controversial point = 90-100%
- Interesting point = 80'ish%
- Non controversial/non-interesting = 50% (quick scan)

As a voter
- Controversial point = 80'ish%
- Non controversial/interesting = 0% (quick scan)

As reader
- Controversial point = 20'ish%
- Interesting point = 30'ish%

Just rough "guesses".
striatedgs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 11:02:09 AM
At 4/16/2015 10:59:02 AM, TBR wrote:

As a participant in the debate
- Controversial point = 90-100%
- Non controversial/non-interesting = 50% (quick scan)

As a voter
- Controversial point = 80'ish%

As reader
- Controversial point = 20'ish%
- Interesting point = 30'ish%

Just rough "guesses".

What percentage of the time do you find something controversial/interesting?
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 11:05:04 AM

What percentage of the time do you find something controversial/interesting?

Don't know I can put a good number on that. I have been reading a debate and become more interested in the link than the debate.