Total Posts:9|Showing Posts:1-9
Jump to topic:

Smart discussion can be had in the polls sect

Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 8:47:15 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
A lot of us go to the Polls section just to troll when we're bored or avoid it altogether, but in today's fast paced society with short attention spans reigning supreme, a lot younger demographic is attracted to the Polls section.

Believe it or not some good heated discussion can be had in the comment sections of these polls with some bright kids in their early teens. Engaging in that section can help you answer some new, and tough questions on your ideology, give you a fresh perspective and give you the opportunity to impart some wisdom on young minds.

I would like to take this opportunity to encourage the members who like to engage in intelligent discussions to check the polls section, once everytime you log once in a while and hopefully frequently, and engage in a conversation in one of the ones you find interesting.

You will run into some ridiculous polls that will make you embarrassed to be a part of this site, but don't let confirmation bias cause you to disregard everything there, and please stop bashing the Polls section in the forums.
Valkrin
Posts: 2,046
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 8:51:55 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/16/2015 8:47:15 AM, Wylted wrote:
You will run into some ridiculous polls that will make you embarrassed to be a part of this site

http://www.debate.org...
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." - Vaarka
Valkrin
Posts: 2,046
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 8:52:26 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
But apart from that what you said is pretty true.
There are quite thought provoking things in there.
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." - Vaarka
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 8:52:29 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/16/2015 8:47:15 AM, Wylted wrote:
A lot of us go to the Polls section just to troll when we're bored or avoid it altogether, but in today's fast paced society with short attention spans reigning supreme, a lot younger demographic is attracted to the Polls section.

Believe it or not some good heated discussion can be had in the comment sections of these polls with some bright kids in their early teens. Engaging in that section can help you answer some new, and tough questions on your ideology, give you a fresh perspective and give you the opportunity to impart some wisdom on young minds.

I would like to take this opportunity to encourage the members who like to engage in intelligent discussions to check the polls section, once everytime you log once in a while and hopefully frequently, and engage in a conversation in one of the ones you find interesting.

You will run into some ridiculous polls that will make you embarrassed to be a part of this site, but don't let confirmation bias cause you to disregard everything there, and please stop bashing the Polls section in the forums.

The polls biggest problem, biggest hindered to good conversation is, lack of formatting ability.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 8:53:04 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/16/2015 8:51:55 AM, Valkrin wrote:
At 4/16/2015 8:47:15 AM, Wylted wrote:
You will run into some ridiculous polls that will make you embarrassed to be a part of this site

http://www.debate.org...

Lol
leojm
Posts: 1,825
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 8:55:10 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/16/2015 8:52:26 AM, Valkrin wrote:
But apart from that what you said is pretty true.
There are quite thought provoking things in there.

yeah i agree
leojm
Posts: 1,825
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 8:56:03 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/16/2015 8:51:55 AM, Valkrin wrote:
At 4/16/2015 8:47:15 AM, Wylted wrote:
You will run into some ridiculous polls that will make you embarrassed to be a part of this site

http://www.debate.org...

haha wow someone was on something when they created that. lol
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 9:01:52 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/16/2015 8:47:15 AM, Wylted wrote:
A lot of us go to the Polls section just to troll when we're bored or avoid it altogether, but in today's fast paced society with short attention spans reigning supreme, a lot younger demographic is attracted to the Polls section.
That could be an explanation for why I'm mainly in Polls and Opinions.
Believe it or not some good heated discussion can be had in the comment sections of these polls with some bright kids in their early teens. Engaging in that section can help you answer some new, and tough questions on your ideology, give you a fresh perspective and give you the opportunity to impart some wisdom on young minds.
Only early teens? :( Oh, well, I thought I'd be included. Now I'll have to cry in a corner.

In all seriousness, yes, I agree, we've had quite a few intellectual discussions in the polls. For instance, there was this objective morality poll from roughly a year ago.

I would like to take this opportunity to encourage the members who like to engage in intelligent discussions to check the polls section, once everytime you log once in a while and hopefully frequently, and engage in a conversation in one of the ones you find interesting.
Although I'm a nobody on DDO, I'd encourage that too. ^^ I do wish the Opinions section got some more attention, too, however.
You will run into some ridiculous polls that will make you embarrassed to be a part of this site, but don't let confirmation bias cause you to disregard everything there, and please stop bashing the Polls section in the forums.
If we stop making silly polls too often (and always put them in the Funny section when we do make them), get some rules against biased polls as Vox recommended, and allow line breaks in vote comments as TBR suggested (even the comments in the Opinions section can do that anyway), we'll probably get more users in Polls. Oh, and revamp the filter as yours truly suggested.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...