Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

Becoming better at debate

kasmic
Posts: 1,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 5:11:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Before coming to this site I had never debated in any kind of structured way. I feel like I have learned a good amount. However, I am looking for pointers from more experienced debaters.

Do you have any good sources for insight on debate technique or style?

If you have read any of my debates, do you have any suggestions for me specifically?
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
Zaradi
Posts: 14,124
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 5:38:01 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/20/2015 5:11:00 PM, kasmic wrote:
Before coming to this site I had never debated in any kind of structured way. I feel like I have learned a good amount. However, I am looking for pointers from more experienced debaters.

Do you have any good sources for insight on debate technique or style?

If you have read any of my debates, do you have any suggestions for me specifically?

Keep debating. Keep reading other people's debates and study what they do and how they do it. Keep reading news/books/articles/lectures and keep learning. How to become better at debate 101.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
kasmic
Posts: 1,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 5:47:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Keep debating. Keep reading other people's debates and study what they do and how they do it. Keep reading news/books/articles/lectures and keep learning. How to become better at debate 101.

Debate 101?
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
Zaradi
Posts: 14,124
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 5:47:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/20/2015 5:47:07 PM, kasmic wrote:
Keep debating. Keep reading other people's debates and study what they do and how they do it. Keep reading news/books/articles/lectures and keep learning. How to become better at debate 101.

Debate 101?

>.< Nevermind.

Basics on how to become better: just keep at it.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 5:48:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Or just get lucky and win sometimes like me :p
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
kasmic
Posts: 1,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 5:58:17 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/20/2015 5:47:50 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 4/20/2015 5:47:07 PM, kasmic wrote:
Keep debating. Keep reading other people's debates and study what they do and how they do it. Keep reading news/books/articles/lectures and keep learning. How to become better at debate 101.

Debate 101?

>.< Nevermind.

Basics on how to become better: just keep at it.

lol! I just read what you said again.... makes sense, In my defense I am in the middle of a debate with Whiteflame and my brain is a bit fuzzy from it haha.
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
Zaradi
Posts: 14,124
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 6:01:58 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/20/2015 5:48:20 PM, 16kadams wrote:
Or just get lucky and win sometimes like me :p

This too
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
kasmic
Posts: 1,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 7:24:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
So I had some good feedback on this debate. If anyone has a moment to check it out and expand on what I could have done differently I would appreciate it. http://www.debate.org...
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
TheJuniorVarsityNovice
Posts: 223
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 7:51:24 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
This is fairly simple, but in debates where I Really have to explain a concept to win, I always find that is helps get your point accross when you:

1.) Give your interpretation of their argument and then literally ask them, in round, if your interpretation of their argument is correct. This confirms if you are debating the right way for this argument and helps the judges as well.

2.) When someone is confused about YOUR argument. Tell them what is wrong with their interpretation and what would make their interpretation correct...Then, give them another example with your explanation and tell them what your argument IS and never forget to tell them what it is NOT. What something is and what it is not are equally important to understanding, especially when learning from the opponent or vice versa.

3.) If they still don't get it make sure not to simply restate your argument. Tell them in a Different way because obviously your current way is failing.

4.) The single most important key to debate is staying on topic. Its easy to slip into a mode where you just want to disprove literally everything they say. Just make sure everything they say is weighed in relevance and significance to the resolution before you decide how to respond. Then decide in the best manner and tell your judges how the argument is insignificant or exactly in what way it impacts your argument, then make sure you say how you have upheld those requirements.

By posting I do not mean to say I am some debate god or anything, these are just a few things I have learned from my debate experiences which have helped me personally.
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 7:55:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/20/2015 7:51:24 PM, TheJuniorVarsityNovice wrote:
This is fairly simple, but in debates where I Really have to explain a concept to win, I always find that is helps get your point accross when you:

1.) Give your interpretation of their argument and then literally ask them, in round, if your interpretation of their argument is correct. This confirms if you are debating the right way for this argument and helps the judges as well.

2.) When someone is confused about YOUR argument. Tell them what is wrong with their interpretation and what would make their interpretation correct...Then, give them another example with your explanation and tell them what your argument IS and never forget to tell them what it is NOT. What something is and what it is not are equally important to understanding, especially when learning from the opponent or vice versa.

This works better in IRL debates, where there is a cross-ex period, than on DDO.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
TheJuniorVarsityNovice
Posts: 223
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 8:02:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
For #1 I think what Bsh1 said is true, for #2 not so much. I still use both of them when debating on DDO though, even questions, although it is unconventional.