May Tournament Sign-Up: Controversy

Unitomic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 10:55:55 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
== Introduction to the Tournament==
Welcome to the April Debate Tournament Sign-Up! The Tournament will be on the subject of Controversy. Essentially, all debates must be controversial topics. Such topics may include:
1: The Nuclear Bombing.
2: Whether the World Today is, On Balance, better because of Nazi Germany.
3: The Israeli-Palestine Topic.
4: Violence in Video Games.
5: Animal Testing.
6: Whether Religious Groups should Pay Taxes.

These are just some examples. We will not accept debates which are a dime a dozen of this site, such as Abortion and Obama-care, or Pseudo-Controversial topics, such as Vaccination. All Debate Topics must be approved prior.

== Tournament Set-Up==

There will be two separate tournaments. A tournament those with an ELO under 4,000. And a Professionals Tournament for those over 4,000 ELO. Victors of Prior Tournaments may join the Professionals Tournament regardless of ELO. In order to join either, you must have at least 6 Debates finished without any Forfeit.

Each Tournament will be divided into two sections. The Primary Tournament will be Single Elimination. The Finals will be Double Elimination between the Final Four. If there are not enough people in the Tournaments to make allow for a reasonable Primaries and Finals in both Tournaments, then the Finals will instead be between the Final Four or Six members of both the Basic Tournament and the Professionals Tournament. A Tie will be settled either by a Rematch (different Topic), or by my Vote (I will only vote as a Tie Breaker), whichever the Contestants desire.

== Rules and Process ==

Beginning May 10th at 10 PM Central Time (to give the April Tournament some time), the Sign-Up Sheet will be Closed (We may stay open for a short while longer, per my discretion). From that point, Contestants will be paired, and will have until May 14th to present their Debate Topic. The can begin once their topic is approved. If they do not come up with a topic, one shall be provided for them. Thereafter, once the two contestants for the next round are determined, they will also have 4 days to decide.

Character lengths will be 8,000 Character for the Primary, and 10,000 Characters for the Finals. There will be the Full 24 Hour Per Rounds, with a standard of 4 Rounds (1st round is Acceptance), with a 5th Round Optional, per my Approval. Voting will be by Judge, with 4 Days Open for their Voting.

== Sign-Up for Basic Tournament ==
To join, you must have 6 debates completed with no forfeit, and be under 4,000 ELO
1:
2:
3:
4:
5:
6:

== Sign-Up for Professionals Tournament ==
To join, you must have 6 debates completed with no forfeit, and be 4,000 ELO or Higher. Champions of a Prior Tournament may join this one regardless of ELO.
1:
2:
3:
4:
5:
6:

== Judges ==
Judges may not participate in the Tournament. They must, to the best of their ability, Vote (fairly) on all topics. Slots for Judges are Open perpetually. If there are under 6 Judges when the Primary Tournament Begins, it will be Open Vote. If 6 Judges are found for Primary, but that number does not reach 8 when the Finals begin, then the Finals will be Open Vote.

To become a Judge, PM Unitomic. Acceptance is not Guaranteed.

------------
Requirements for Entry into Either Tournament may be waived upon review. Ask Unitomic if you qualify.

If you have any Questions concerning the Tournaments, PM Unitomic.

== Unitomic ==
kingkd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 11:18:01 PM
At 4/21/2015 10:55:55 PM, Unitomic wrote:
Welcome to the April Debate Tournament Sign-Up! The Tournament will be on the subject of Controversy. Essentially, all debates must be controversial topics. Such topics may include:

These are just some examples. We will not accept debates which are a dime a dozen of this site, such as Abortion and Obama-care, or Pseudo-Controversial topics, such as Vaccination. All Debate Topics must be approved prior.

== Tournament Set-Up==

There will be two separate tournaments. A tournament those with an ELO under 4,000. And a Professionals Tournament for those over 4,000 ELO. Victors of Prior Tournaments may join the Professionals Tournament regardless of ELO. In order to join either, you must have at least 6 Debates finished without any Forfeit.

Each Tournament will be divided into two sections. The Primary Tournament will be Single Elimination. The Finals will be Double Elimination between the Final Four. If there are not enough people in the Tournaments to make allow for a reasonable Primaries and Finals in both Tournaments, then the Finals will instead be between the Final Four or Six members of both the Basic Tournament and the Professionals Tournament. A Tie will be settled either by a Rematch (different Topic), or by my Vote (I will only vote as a Tie Breaker), whichever the Contestants desire.

== Rules and Process ==

Beginning May 10th at 10 PM Central Time (to give the April Tournament some time), the Sign-Up Sheet will be Closed (We may stay open for a short while longer, per my discretion). From that point, Contestants will be paired, and will have until May 14th to present their Debate Topic. The can begin once their topic is approved. If they do not come up with a topic, one shall be provided for them. Thereafter, once the two contestants for the next round are determined, they will also have 4 days to decide.

Character lengths will be 8,000 Character for the Primary, and 10,000 Characters for the Finals. There will be the Full 24 Hour Per Rounds, with a standard of 4 Rounds (1st round is Acceptance), with a 5th Round Optional, per my Approval. Voting will be by Judge, with 4 Days Open for their Voting.

To join, you must have 6 debates completed with no forfeit, and be under 4,000 ELO
1:
2:
3:
4:
5:
6:

To join, you must have 6 debates completed with no forfeit, and be 4,000 ELO or Higher. Champions of a Prior Tournament may join this one regardless of ELO.
1:
2:
3:
4:
5:
6:

== Judges ==
Judges may not participate in the Tournament. They must, to the best of their ability, Vote (fairly) on all topics. Slots for Judges are Open perpetually. If there are under 6 Judges when the Primary Tournament Begins, it will be Open Vote. If 6 Judges are found for Primary, but that number does not reach 8 when the Finals begin, then the Finals will be Open Vote.

------------
Requirements for Entry into Either Tournament may be waived upon review. Ask Unitomic if you qualify.

== Unitomic ==

Sure why not I'll be basic
The Constitution is just a damn piece of paper
-Barack Obama
"I actually support ...the Spanish inquisition, the murder of natives and so much more."
airmax1227
"Water is wet."
airmax1227
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 11:28:57 PM

== Tournament Set-Up==

== Rules and Process ==

1:
2:
3:
4:
5:
6:

1:
2:
3:
4:
5:
6:

== Judges ==

------------

== Unitomic ==

==Basic Tournament==
1. kingkd
2. tejretics
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 12:05:46 AM
At 4/21/2015 11:38:03 PM, Unitomic wrote:
I accidentally wrote 24 hours for the time limit. It is actually 48 Hours Rounds

@Unitomic, can we have 10,000 characters for the primary too?
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Unitomic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 12:28:20 AM
At 4/22/2015 12:05:46 AM, tejretics wrote:
At 4/21/2015 11:38:03 PM, Unitomic wrote:
I accidentally wrote 24 hours for the time limit. It is actually 48 Hours Rounds

@Unitomic, can we have 10,000 characters for the primary too?

The primary reason for character and round limitations in Tournaments is to help keep judges/voters from being crushed under the weight of numerous massive debates.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 1:30:29 AM
I wanna do a drunken debate on G plus. I think maybe do a trivia competition where the loser takes shots, and then after that competition, maybe the trivia winner gets a conduct point bonus and the arguments are judged on merit.

I'd also not be opposed to a strip debate (will work out rules later, but me vs Danielle or Thett bothy are sexy b1tches).

Maybe a debate where each side plans how to perform a terrorist attack in good enough detail where the department of homeland security has to take action.

I also wouldn't mind a debate to the death or a debate that somehow resembles the challenges on the show impractical jokers.

Another controversial debate option is where both sides go out and see which side can perform the best vigilante justice.
Genghis_Khan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2015 6:20:32 PM
At 4/21/2015 11:28:57 PM, tejretics wrote:

== Tournament Set-Up==

== Rules and Process ==

1:
2:
3:
4:
5:
6:

1:
2:
3:
4:
5:
6:

== Judges ==

------------

== Unitomic ==

==Basic Tournament==
1. kingkd
2. tejretics
3. Genghis
anything your heart desires
kingkd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2015 10:26:47 PM

== Tournament Set-Up==

== Rules and Process ==

1:
2:
3:
4:
5:
6:

1:
2:
3:
4:
5:
6:

== Judges ==

------------

== Unitomic ==

Alright so what's the list of approved topics? Why not abortion which is VERY controversial?
-Barack Obama
"I actually support ...the Spanish inquisition, the murder of natives and so much more."
airmax1227
"Water is wet."
airmax1227
Unitomic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2015 10:34:11 PM
At 4/23/2015 10:26:47 PM, kingkd wrote:

== Tournament Set-Up==

== Rules and Process ==

1:
2:
3:
4:
5:
6:

1:
2:
3:
4:
5:
6:

== Judges ==

------------

== Unitomic ==

Alright so what's the list of approved topics? Why not abortion which is VERY controversial?

I've posted a few. You and whoever you are paired with can agree on a topic, and present it, and I'll decide if it's good enough. Until then, you can PM ideas to me, and I'll see whats good, that way you can get an idea of what topics you may want to offer your opponent.

Abortion has been done so much on this site that it can be considered a dead horse cliche (even if we haven't agreed which side is right), unless two major members do it.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2015 11:11:24 PM

This seems a bit micro-managing. Do we really need to get the topic approved and can we have different character limits, round lengths, etc?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2015 11:13:47 PM
Welcome to the April Debate Tournament Sign-Up! The Tournament will be on the subject of Controversy (read: every single debate issue ever). Essentially, all debates must be controversial topics. Such topics may include:

Not controversial.

Counterfactual, counterfactual.... wherefore art thou counterfactual.

I'd debate anyone on this in the forums.

Not controversial. At all.

Ok... that is seriously controversial.

Meh.
Tsar of DDO
Unitomic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2015 11:29:16 PM
Those are all incredible controversial. You can see debates raging constantly on other forums and sites when such topics are brought up. Especially the Hiroshima/Nagasaki bombings and violence in video games.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2015 11:30:20 PM
At 4/23/2015 11:29:16 PM, Unitomic wrote:
Those are all incredible controversial. You can see debates raging constantly on other forums and sites when such topics are brought up. Especially the Hiroshima/Nagasaki bombings and violence in video games.

Meh.
Tsar of DDO
Unitomic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2015 11:30:37 PM
At 4/23/2015 11:11:24 PM, bsh1 wrote:

This seems a bit micro-managing. Do we really need to get the topic approved and can we have different character limits, round lengths, etc?

The character and round lengths are to help garner more votes. having multiple 10,000 character 5 round debates may make it harder to get voters on all of them, especially if we use judges.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2015 11:32:41 PM
At 4/23/2015 11:30:37 PM, Unitomic wrote:
At 4/23/2015 11:11:24 PM, bsh1 wrote:

The character and round lengths are to help garner more votes. having multiple 10,000 character 5 round debates may make it harder to get voters on all of them, especially if we use judges.

If those rules are strict, I am going to decline to join.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
kingkd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2015 1:10:22 PM
At 4/23/2015 11:13:47 PM, YYW wrote:
Welcome to the April Debate Tournament Sign-Up! The Tournament will be on the subject of Controversy (read: every single debate issue ever). Essentially, all debates must be controversial topics. Such topics may include:

Not controversial.

Meh.
Are you pro Palestine or Israel? I am pro Palestine and am willing to debate anyone
-Barack Obama
airmax1227
"Water is wet."
airmax1227
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2015 7:15:56 PM
At 4/24/2015 1:10:22 PM, kingkd wrote:

Not controversial.

Meh.
Are you pro Palestine or Israel? I am pro Palestine and am willing to debate anyone

My position is more complex than simply being pro-israel or pro-palestine.
Tsar of DDO
kingkd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2015 7:16:44 PM
At 4/24/2015 7:15:56 PM, YYW wrote:
At 4/24/2015 1:10:22 PM, kingkd wrote:

Not controversial.

Meh.

My position is more complex than simply being pro-israel or pro-palestine.

Okay sorry for oversimplifying. What is your position exactly?
-Barack Obama
airmax1227
"Water is wet."
airmax1227
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2015 7:25:26 PM
At 4/24/2015 7:16:44 PM, kingkd wrote:
Okay sorry for oversimplifying. What is your position exactly?

One state solution administered by Israel where Israel is a state composed both of Jews and non-Jews. This will, ultimately, benefit both Israel and Palestinians.

What needs to happen is that Palestine needs to be assimilated, over a period of a generation or so, into Israel. The reason this needs to happen is because Palestinian political culture is beyond redemption. There is no viable government which can reasonably govern, and there are no Palestinians who can govern in Palestinian's best interest. This is evidenced by the fact that despite the perpetual suffering that Hamas and similar terrorist organizations visit on the Palestinians, they continue to allow a government that at best fails to eradicate terrorism, and at worst is cooperative with terrorist interests -sponsored by states that engage in terrorist-facilitating activities.

Palestinians are, nevertheless, people who deserve better than what they have now. Palestinian political leaders cannot deliver that. Israel can, and must, because only Israel can administer the country and invest in Palestinian infrastructure while *ensuring* that none of that money/capital happens to fall into terrorists' hands. The Palestinian government has consistently demonstrated its incompetence to that end.

What Israel and Palestine have to realize is that they are bound to each other by geography. They are neighbors, and as neighbors that creates certain obligations upon one another. Both must recognize the other's right to co-exist, and in reality they have more in common with each other than Palestinians have in common with the irrational and unjustifiably hostile Muslim nations, groups and outfits that have endeavored to exploit the Palestinian people for their stupid religious wars.
Tsar of DDO
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2015 7:33:28 PM
At 4/22/2015 1:30:29 AM, Wylted wrote:
I wanna do a drunken debate on G plus. I think maybe do a trivia competition where the loser takes shots, and then after that competition, maybe the trivia winner gets a conduct point bonus and the arguments are judged on merit.

I'd also not be opposed to a strip debate (will work out rules later, but me vs Danielle or Thett bothy are sexy b1tches).

Maybe a debate where each side plans how to perform a terrorist attack in good enough detail where the department of homeland security has to take action.

I also wouldn't mind a debate to the death or a debate that somehow resembles the challenges on the show impractical jokers.

Another controversial debate option is where both sides go out and see which side can perform the best vigilante justice.

OMG I WANNA COME
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2015 7:35:29 PM
I will not sign up for the tournament, although I hope to debate Max on this one day. I have become increasingly opposed to the evil state that is Israel.

Suggestion: I am unsure as to whether or not the American members here have interest in the issue that is the increased flow of immigration to Europe recently; most notably, the refugees who attempt to come on boats. Perhaps a debate on European borders should happen.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2015 7:37:04 PM
At 4/24/2015 7:33:28 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

OMG I WANNA COME

This is awkward. I want you to come, also though. People shouldn't live in perpetual frustration caused by having an asexual partner.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2015 7:41:48 PM
At 4/24/2015 7:37:04 PM, Wylted wrote:

OMG I WANNA COME

This is awkward. I want you to come, also though. People shouldn't live in perpetual frustration caused by having an asexual partner.

Umm...
o.O
Solonkr~

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2015 7:43:07 PM
At 4/24/2015 7:41:48 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

OMG I WANNA COME

Umm...
o.O

Hold on, what did you mean when you said "I wanna come"?
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2015 7:44:53 PM
At 4/24/2015 7:43:07 PM, Wylted wrote:

OMG I WANNA COME

Umm...
o.O

*spelling, brah*

I meant to the hangout...
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2015 7:50:36 PM
At 4/24/2015 7:44:53 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 4/24/2015 7:43:07 PM, Wylted wrote:

OMG I WANNA COME

Umm...
o.O

*spelling, brah*

I meant to the hangout...

Oh, lol.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2015 10:50:13 PM

OMG I WANNA COME

But Annie desires celibacy, so no frustration exists on her part. She and I were meant to be.