Jump to topic:

What happened to RoyLatham?

ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 8:44:04 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I was just wondering if anyone knew where he went, and why he no longer debates.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 9:19:25 AM
At 4/22/2015 8:44:04 AM, ColeTrain wrote:
I was just wondering if anyone knew where he went, and why he no longer debates.

This occured about a year ago when he stated that he was fed up with the site due to the new policy causing a massive exodous of good members and it caused horrible debates to be posted. He just retreated to facebook for arguing.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 9:20:47 AM

He took a long break, but he was online today.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 9:20:50 AM
At 4/22/2015 9:19:25 AM, lannan13 wrote:
This occured about a year ago when he stated that he was fed up with the site due to the new policy causing a massive exodous of good members and it caused horrible debates to be posted. He just retreated to facebook for arguing.

Ahh, okay. I just saw him on the debate leaderboard and wondered why he hadn't debated in over a year. He should come back, he's obviously great. :)
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 9:21:25 AM
At 4/22/2015 9:20:47 AM, tejretics wrote:

I saw that, he posted on a Science forum I think?
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 9:22:16 AM
At 4/22/2015 9:20:50 AM, ColeTrain wrote:

Ahh, okay. I just saw him on the debate leaderboard and wondered why he hadn't debated in over a year. He should come back, he's obviously great. :)

Yeah, but unfortunately he's not coming back.

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 9:22:49 AM
At 4/22/2015 9:21:25 AM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 4/22/2015 9:20:47 AM, tejretics wrote:

I saw that, he posted on a Science forum I think?

Yeah.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 9:24:56 AM
At 4/22/2015 9:22:16 AM, lannan13 wrote:

I wonder why. He could pick and choose his debates, and wouldn't have to debate "horrible debates." I will agree, however, agree that there are a ton of brand-new members filling the challenge debates section with awful topics.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 9:27:26 AM
At 4/22/2015 9:24:56 AM, ColeTrain wrote:

I wonder why. He could pick and choose his debates, and wouldn't have to debate "horrible debates." I will agree, however, agree that there are a ton of brand-new members filling the challenge debates section with awful topics.

I guess he just doesn't like dealing with the lack of intelligence on the site.

ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 9:29:40 AM
At 4/22/2015 9:27:26 AM, lannan13 wrote:
At 4/22/2015 9:24:56 AM, ColeTrain wrote:

I guess he just doesn't like dealing with the lack of intelligence on the site.

I hope you aren't referring to me! :P But that makes sense, although it's still possible to find some great debaters.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 10:44:14 AM

Not true. I beat him 4 months ago.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 10:52:49 AM
At 4/22/2015 10:44:14 AM, 16kadams wrote:

Hmm. I thought I saw otherwise.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 10:56:38 AM
At 4/22/2015 10:52:49 AM, ColeTrain wrote:

http://www.debate.org...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Unitomic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 11:01:24 AM

There is word from a far that he has a spark of interest in my May Tournament. But nothing has been determined.
Genghis_Khan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 12:29:52 PM

Don't listen to lannan lol. It's nothing like that. It's just that after being a member of DDO for 6 years his interest in the site has naturally worn off. He still checks in every once in a while and still is willing to do debates. I actually approached via PM about doing one last night, and he was fully open to it. He just no longer feels the need to log on every day unless he has a debate going on that requires his attention.
anything your heart desires
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 12:34:27 PM
The member quality is the lowest I can remember, and the activity is largely for social purposes rather than other serious and purposeful activity. It is reasonable for someone like him to leave; the vast majority of smart members who used to be here have left as well.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 1:34:44 PM
At 4/22/2015 10:56:38 AM, 16kadams wrote:

Nice :)
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 1:35:38 PM
There is word from a far that he has a spark of interest in my May Tournament. But nothing has been determined.

Cool. Hope to see him back. ;)
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 1:35:54 PM
At 4/22/2015 11:24:31 AM, Maikuru wrote:
He did what we all should do.

I disagree.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 1:54:14 PM
At 4/22/2015 1:34:44 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 4/22/2015 10:56:38 AM, 16kadams wrote:

Luck
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 1:58:59 PM
At 4/22/2015 12:29:52 PM, Genghis_Khan wrote:

Don't listen to lannan lol. It's nothing like that. It's just that after being a member of DDO for 6 years his interest in the site has naturally worn off. He still checks in every once in a while and still is willing to do debates. I actually approached via PM about doing one last night, and he was fully open to it. He just no longer feels the need to log on every day unless he has a debate going on that requires his attention.

I'll listen to lannan. He gave me a logical answer. You're a new member just like me, so don't bash the experienced like lannan. :) And that's cool, good luck if you debate him :D
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 2:00:18 PM

Luck

Actually sounds quite reasonable that it was luck ;)
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 2:01:45 PM
At 4/22/2015 12:34:27 PM, Mirza wrote:
The member quality is the lowest I can remember, and the activity is largely for social purposes rather than other serious and purposeful activity. It is reasonable for someone like him to leave; the vast majority of smart members who used to be here have left as well.

This man speaks the truth. I still try to keep my debates serious and purposeful.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 2:02:46 PM
At 4/22/2015 2:00:18 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

Luck

It's impossible to win as a climate skeptic anymore. So it was the topic
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 2:05:48 PM
At 4/22/2015 2:02:46 PM, 16kadams wrote:

Luck

Yeah. Personally, I'm not a strong believer in the notion that we've caused mass global warming, but I'm not prepared to debate it, by any means. I don't delve into that subject very much.
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 2:11:58 PM
At 4/22/2015 2:05:48 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 4/22/2015 2:02:46 PM, 16kadams wrote:

Luck

Yeah. Personally, I'm not a strong believer in the notion that we've caused mass global warming, but I'm not prepared to debate it, by any means. I don't delve into that subject very much.

I might be man-made, but if it is...who cares. It's not a crisis, and the US isn't flooded like some predicted it would be.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 2:14:06 PM
I might be man-made, but if it is...who cares. It's not a crisis, and the US isn't flooded like some predicted it would be.

Exactly. ^^
Genghis_Khan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 3:14:52 PM
At 4/22/2015 1:58:59 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 4/22/2015 12:29:52 PM, Genghis_Khan wrote:

I'll listen to lannan.

Your loss.

He gave me a logical answer.

You can read Roy's forum posts... he's made like 100 in the past year. He played no part whatsoever in the site policy controversy, and in the few comments he did make on the policy change, he was fully supportive of it and condemned the people who were leaving as not having been worth having on the site anyways.

https://www.debate.org...

You're a new member just like me, so don't bash the experienced like lannan. :) And that's cool, good luck if you debate him :D

Thanks.
anything your heart desires