Jump to topic:

WODC2015 Sign Ups

larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2015 8:28:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
This year, the WODC is bigger and better than ever. This year, a (probably new) champion of online debating will be crowned. This year, it could be you. Get excited.

The World Online Debate Cup has an extra-long sign-up period that runs throughout the entire month. This is to ensure that everyone can get familiar with the tournament and prepared for it before it begins.

The WODC keeps getting bigger and better. This year's tournament will feature:

> All the great things that made last year's tournament so awesome - like our popular "odds" feature
> Round 2 is now going to be power-paired for better opponent matching
> Quick, easy & tested Australs topic selection
> New topic mailing system
> Useful high-quality tournament guide
> Revised & improved rules
> High-quality topics agreed on by our world-class judging core of Whiteflame and Larz
> More breaks to reduce burnout that happened in the previous tournament

Don't forget, you need to sign up at http://www.edeb8.com... ! Signing up in this thread is not enough. However, if you do sign up, it might be nice to post in this thread so people can see who is competing from DDO!

On the official site you can also find:
> Tournament updates/news
> As the tournament begins, the current draw, odds, predictions etc (including, for the first time, additional tournament data such as site average position)
> A discussion feed so you can talk about the tournament
> The official tournament guide

READ THE GUIDE IF YOU WANT TO COMPETE, especially the parts about how to do topic selection and about what settings to use when setting up debates (it's not hard, just requires a small amount of light reading).

Good luck everybody, and make DDO proud!
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 11:01:30 AM
At 4/30/2015 8:28:33 PM, larztheloser wrote:
This year, the WODC is bigger and better than ever. This year, a (probably new) champion of online debating will be crowned. This year, it could be you. Get excited.

The World Online Debate Cup has an extra-long sign-up period that runs throughout the entire month. This is to ensure that everyone can get familiar with the tournament and prepared for it before it begins.

> All the great things that made last year's tournament so awesome - like our popular "odds" feature
> High-quality topics agreed on by our world-class judging core of Whiteflame and Larz

Don't forget, you need to sign up at http://www.edeb8.com... ! Signing up in this thread is not enough. However, if you do sign up, it might be nice to post in this thread so people can see who is competing from DDO!

> As the tournament begins, the current draw, odds, predictions etc (including, for the first time, additional tournament data such as site average position)

READ THE GUIDE IF YOU WANT TO COMPETE, especially the parts about how to do topic selection and about what settings to use when setting up debates (it's not hard, just requires a small amount of light reading).

Done, signed up.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 12:59:23 PM
At 5/1/2015 12:58:00 PM, Mikal wrote:
I nominate whiteflame to be DDOs front runner

Whiteflame is judging.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 1:05:25 PM
I signed up.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 1:37:26 PM
i signed up; weird to think that the tournament starts in the beginning of the summer but doesn't end till well after summer is over for me XD
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 1:37:26 PM
i signed up; weird to think that the tournament starts in the beginning of the summer but doesn't end till well after summer is over for me XD
ButterCatX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 5:02:58 PM
I'm tempted to sign up but it seem like there will be a lot of great debaters that I stand no chance against.
I bet fanfics are already being posted on random blogs about us.-Vaarka

Butters preformed his duty to the town and died with honor, he helped us kill scum, so we know have to go and make sure his death wasn't in vain and win this game for him.-lannan13

All hail the great and mighty Butters, who died for our inactive cause.-Vaarka

fuckith offith, lol.-Ore(talking to me)

And guess what happened to FT? He got raped to death.-Xlav

You are so obviously town I love you man.-VOT
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 5:07:28 PM
At 5/1/2015 5:02:58 PM, ButterCatX wrote:
I'm tempted to sign up but it seem like there will be a lot of great debaters that I stand no chance against.

The system will pair you against debaters with a similar win/loss ratio after the first round. So even if you think you have no chance at winning you still get a super fun tournament.
ButterCatX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 5:10:47 PM
At 5/1/2015 5:07:28 PM, larztheloser wrote:

The system will pair you against debaters with a similar win/loss ratio after the first round. So even if you think you have no chance at winning you still get a super fun tournament.

I also may not have a computer during the summer.
I bet fanfics are already being posted on random blogs about us.-Vaarka

Butters preformed his duty to the town and died with honor, he helped us kill scum, so we know have to go and make sure his death wasn't in vain and win this game for him.-lannan13

All hail the great and mighty Butters, who died for our inactive cause.-Vaarka

fuckith offith, lol.-Ore(talking to me)

And guess what happened to FT? He got raped to death.-Xlav

You are so obviously town I love you man.-VOT
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2015 4:18:20 PM
People, please do sign up. I promise, the topics are interesting and well-balanced, and I think everyone will appreciate the effort we put into making them. The judging will be top-notch, and the experience worthwhile!
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 1:45:04 AM

I have a high win-loss ratio because of noobsnipes, forfeits and vi_spex. I'm actually a big noob. Will I still be paired against similar debators?
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 2:18:31 AM
At 5/6/2015 1:45:04 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:

I have a high win-loss ratio because of noobsnipes, forfeits and vi_spex. I'm actually a big noob. Will I still be paired against similar debators?

Also, are the issues global? I don't want the choice of affirmative action, border fence and medicare :P
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:

larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 4:54:24 AM

Your performance in the tournament will be all that counts. The first round is paired completely random, round 2 you might possibly get lucky/unlucky on, but by round 3 it should be very fair. So yes.
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 5:07:34 AM
At 5/6/2015 2:18:31 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:

Also, are the issues global? I don't want the choice of affirmative action, border fence and medicare :P

In general they are similar to what you might find in a real-life international tournament. You certainly won't find every round filled with US-specific topics or something, but there *may* be some topics specific to one country. I can probably say that we've followed the Australs convention of giving each non-break round a theme, and having a broad range of topics within that theme. There are various debate motion and moot bank type sites around the net listing topics recently used in tournaments that you can look up to give you some idea. I'm sure that we have a world class series of topics here anyway.
Ajabi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 5:57:08 AM

Please add my name, I'll also add it into the edeb8 link you posted. I am the current champion, no?
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 6:03:51 AM
At 5/6/2015 5:57:08 AM, Ajabi wrote:

Please add my name, I'll also add it into the edeb8 link you posted. I am the current champion, no?

Co-champion. But yes haha.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 8:02:38 AM
At 5/6/2015 5:07:34 AM, larztheloser wrote:

In general they are similar to what you might find in a real-life international tournament. You certainly won't find every round filled with US-specific topics or something, but there *may* be some topics specific to one country. I can probably say that we've followed the Australs convention of giving each non-break round a theme, and having a broad range of topics within that theme. There are various debate motion and moot bank type sites around the net listing topics recently used in tournaments that you can look up to give you some idea. I'm sure that we have a world class series of topics here anyway.

Thanks, I'll consider this, but one more question: If it turns out I suck so much that I lose every single debate and am the worst debator in human history, will I drag down DDO's score or just score no points? I don't want to risk doing the former...

Don't be a stat cynic:

Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 8:04:02 AM
At 5/6/2015 8:02:38 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 5/6/2015 5:07:34 AM, larztheloser wrote:

Thanks, I'll consider this, but one more question: If it turns out I suck so much that I lose every single debate and am the worst debator in human history, will I drag down DDO's score or just score no points? I don't want to risk doing the former...

Never mind, just realised it's the former from the rules page.

Don't be a stat cynic:

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 7:08:01 PM

I'm not going to sign up for this, but I do think it would be appropriate to take this time to acknowledge the substantial improvements that have been made on edbe8.

I went on the site, looked it over... I am impressed. Really excellent work you've done there.

Now, there are (I believe, though I could be wrong) people who you allow there that more or less make it impractical for me to be there, but the site itself is very well put together and its interface -now- is better than DDO.
Tsar of DDO
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 7:17:26 PM
Larz, how do power pairings work? It sounds as if you're allowing the possibility that two shittty opponents will face off against each other for the cup.

Also, I haven't received my email for signing up. WTF?

Also is Stag banned yet so me and about 15 other people who would be there if he had no presence, gone yet?

He is trying to act as the face of Edeb8 and has an overbearing presence. Nobody's presence should be so overbearing. I can't do a single thing there without him commenting on it. It's ridiculous.
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 7:28:03 PM
At 5/6/2015 7:17:26 PM, Wylted wrote:
Larz, how do power pairings work? It sounds as if you're allowing the possibility that two shittty opponents will face off against each other for the cup.

Also is Stag banned yet so me and about 15 other people who would be there if he had no presence, gone yet?

He is trying to act as the face of Edeb8 and has an overbearing presence. Nobody's presence should be so overbearing. I can't do a single thing there without him commenting on it. It's ridiculous.

Can you send a message regarding that missing email through the contact form of the site? A few people have had problems too, just going through and identifying issues.

Will respond to your other stuff after work.
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 2:36:14 AM
At 5/6/2015 7:17:26 PM, Wylted wrote:

Hey,

I emailed you personally after you sent me a message and you didn't respond to my email either. Are you sure your email is fine?

Power pairings work like in pretty much any other swiss-style tournament. To get into the break (elimination) rounds, debaters have to be winners. Debate has special rules on bubbling and such but otherwise it's exactly the same as chess or tennis.

As with all members, banning decisions are made on the basis of rules broken, not member maximization. In fairness he's not the most active member on edeb8. That honor - by a mile - goes to me. That being said Stag has personally previously offered to voluntarily leave the site if his presence is being damaging to the site. I and a few others believe it's mostly scapegoating, since harassment is a rules violation, and people aren't reporting him for it.

That being said, other than possibly debating against them, entry into the WODC should not automatically mean any additional involvement with any other member of either site.