Jump to topic:

Can we ban quote pyramids?

TwistingStorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:03:01 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
It seems to me like every other thread that has a lengthy debate gets riddled with huge quote pyramids.

I am not talking about the small five quote pyramids; I am talking about pyramids with 10+ quotes in it. It makes the thread hard to read and the reply is hidden among mountains of quotes.

If banning them completely is not an option they should be limited to a max of five quotes within the pyramid. It would improve readability so much if they where banned or limited. I urge you to take this into strong consideration.

We should concentrate on intelligent debates and not hide and go seek with words.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:16:17 PM
At 5/1/2015 10:03:01 PM, TwistingStorm wrote:
It seems to me like every other thread that has a lengthy debate gets riddled with huge quote pyramids.

I am not talking about the small five quote pyramids; I am talking about pyramids with 10+ quotes in it. It makes the thread hard to read and the reply is hidden among mountains of quotes.

If banning them completely is not an option they should be limited to a max of five quotes within the pyramid. It would improve readability so much if they where banned or limited. I urge you to take this into strong consideration.

We should concentrate on intelligent debates and not hide and go seek with words.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:16:36 PM
At 5/1/2015 10:16:17 PM, YYW wrote:

Quote pyramids are awesome.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:16:50 PM

They should be heavily implemented.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:17:26 PM
At 5/1/2015 10:16:50 PM, YYW wrote:

[content to be added]
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:17:38 PM
At 5/1/2015 10:17:26 PM, YYW wrote:

[content to be added]

spam
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:18:01 PM
At 5/1/2015 10:17:38 PM, YYW wrote:

[content to be added]

spam

Clearly, this is very important. Look at all the responses.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:18:14 PM
At 5/1/2015 10:18:01 PM, YYW wrote:

[content to be added]

spam

But seriously... lol
Tsar of DDO
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:23:45 PM
A major problem with quotes on DDO is the bad formatting. It is difficult to match what is written in the quote with who wrote it because the usernames are at the top and separated from what's in the quote.

I don't understand the mindset of people who quote incessantly. Perhaps they don't realize that they make the thread impossible to read. Perhaps they don't realize that they can delete everything in a quote, just write their response and it would still show up as a notification. And if context is important, delete all the quotes besides the last one - the one which you are directly responding to.

As for banning quote pyramids: surprisingly I support this idea. Ideally, people would just stop quoting 6000 characters of text to add a single line but for some reason beyond my comprehension, they don't.

I think banning 2 quotes is more appropriate. People can quote once. But then they shouldn't be able to quote again.
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:28:32 PM
At 5/1/2015 10:18:14 PM, YYW wrote:

[content to be added]

spam

But seriously... lol

This.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:28:45 PM
At 5/1/2015 10:23:45 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
A major problem with quotes on DDO is the bad formatting. It is difficult to match what is written in the quote with who wrote it because the usernames are at the top and separated from what's in the quote.

Indeed.

I don't understand the mindset of people who quote incessantly. Perhaps they don't realize that they make the thread impossible to read. Perhaps they don't realize that they can delete everything in a quote, just write their response and it would still show up as a notification. And if context is important, delete all the quotes besides the last one - the one which you are directly responding to.

The reason that I quote, often line by line, is because it enables me to specifically respond to what people write... but I also try to clean up the excessive quotes for practical reasons.

As for banning quote pyramids: surprisingly I support this idea. Ideally, people would just stop quoting 6000 characters of text to add a single line but for some reason beyond my comprehension, they don't.

For me, it depends. It's annoying, but it's not so annoying that I think we need a rule against it. That said, I read pretty fast and I'm pretty good at only focusing on what I need to focus on.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:29:05 PM
At 5/1/2015 10:28:32 PM, ShabShoral wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:18:14 PM, YYW wrote:

[content to be added]

spam

But seriously... lol

This.

I do what I can.
Tsar of DDO
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:29:25 PM

I think banning 2 quotes is more appropriate. People can quote once. But then they shouldn't be able to quote again.

I disagree.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:29:50 PM
At 5/1/2015 10:29:25 PM, ShabShoral wrote:

I disagree.

I concur with your disagreement.
Tsar of DDO
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:31:46 PM
At 5/1/2015 10:29:50 PM, YYW wrote:

I disagree.

I thank you for your concurrence.

~ Skepsikyma <3

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:33:58 PM
At 5/1/2015 10:31:46 PM, ShabShoral wrote:

I disagree.

I extend my salutations in response to your demonstration of gratitude.
Tsar of DDO
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:37:40 PM
At 5/1/2015 10:33:58 PM, YYW wrote:

I disagree.

I, too, agree with this disagreement.
My work here is, finally, done.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:38:11 PM
At 5/1/2015 10:37:40 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

I disagree.

It seems that a majority has formed.
Tsar of DDO
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:38:16 PM
I agree with F-16. Of course, it's a much bigger problem when you're playing mafia, because you'll reread the game looking for specific posts. Quote pyramids make that process incredibly annoying. So I'd definitely support a ban in the mafia forums. For the regular forums, it's not as big a deal, since people aren't posting with the idea of going back and analyzing everything everyone ever said.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:38:56 PM
At 5/1/2015 10:38:16 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
I agree with F-16. Of course, it's a much bigger problem when you're playing mafia, because you'll reread the game looking for specific posts. Quote pyramids make that process incredibly annoying. So I'd definitely support a ban in the mafia forums. For the regular forums, it's not as big a deal, since people aren't posting with the idea of going back and analyzing everything everyone ever said.

lol well yeah it's irritating as sh!t in mafia, but in the forums not a big deal.
Tsar of DDO
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:39:34 PM
At 5/1/2015 10:38:11 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:37:40 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

I disagree.

It seems that a majority has formed.

I think FT has null and voided our majority, and, alas, it appears to be a stalemate.
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:43:22 PM
I like how the quoting on this site works - you can easily trace quotes back to who said them, by virtue of the lines down the side.

~ Skepsikyma <3

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:44:07 PM
A don't have a problem with the formatting, per se, but it is hard to see who said what. I think if the lines were of two colors, it would be much easier.

In regular forums, I'll often quote to keep the context and flow of the thought process.
However, I'm sure most people will say it is simply too hard to delete stuff on mobile.

At that point, it is annoying. I agree. Especially with a single line of text for the entire post (as opposed to breaking up the post to respond line by line).

Disagree.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:45:51 PM
At 5/1/2015 10:43:22 PM, ShabShoral wrote:
I like how the quoting on this site works - you can easily trace quotes back to who said them, by virtue of the lines down the side.

I actually have a hard time with that after a few quotes. I'd like to see a better way to distinguish between speakers, like two colors.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:57:28 PM
At 5/1/2015 10:28:45 PM, YYW wrote:
The reason that I quote, often line by line, is because it enables me to specifically respond to what people write

Line by line is fine. It is the multi-quoting without deleting the extraneous stuff that's not just annoying but seriously compromises readability.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:59:12 PM

Perhaps mafia mods banning quote pyramids in their games is good.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 11:05:30 PM
At 5/1/2015 10:59:12 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

Perhaps mafia mods banning quote pyramids in their games is good.

https://plus.google.com...
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...