Total Posts:44|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Can we ban quote pyramids?

TwistingStorm
Posts: 3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:03:01 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
It seems to me like every other thread that has a lengthy debate gets riddled with huge quote pyramids.

I am not talking about the small five quote pyramids; I am talking about pyramids with 10+ quotes in it. It makes the thread hard to read and the reply is hidden among mountains of quotes.

If banning them completely is not an option they should be limited to a max of five quotes within the pyramid. It would improve readability so much if they where banned or limited. I urge you to take this into strong consideration.

We should concentrate on intelligent debates and not hide and go seek with words.
YYW
Posts: 42,698
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:16:17 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/1/2015 10:03:01 PM, TwistingStorm wrote:
It seems to me like every other thread that has a lengthy debate gets riddled with huge quote pyramids.

I am not talking about the small five quote pyramids; I am talking about pyramids with 10+ quotes in it. It makes the thread hard to read and the reply is hidden among mountains of quotes.

If banning them completely is not an option they should be limited to a max of five quotes within the pyramid. It would improve readability so much if they where banned or limited. I urge you to take this into strong consideration.

We should concentrate on intelligent debates and not hide and go seek with words.
Mike Pence's Criminal Liability for Trump Related Felonies:

http://www.debate.org...

Trump's Criminal Campaign and Presidency:

http://www.debate.org...

Where we were, on Trump:

http://www.debate.org...

Russia: The Update

http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Posts: 42,698
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:16:36 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/1/2015 10:16:17 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:03:01 PM, TwistingStorm wrote:
It seems to me like every other thread that has a lengthy debate gets riddled with huge quote pyramids.

I am not talking about the small five quote pyramids; I am talking about pyramids with 10+ quotes in it. It makes the thread hard to read and the reply is hidden among mountains of quotes.

If banning them completely is not an option they should be limited to a max of five quotes within the pyramid. It would improve readability so much if they where banned or limited. I urge you to take this into strong consideration.

We should concentrate on intelligent debates and not hide and go seek with words.

Quote pyramids are awesome.
Mike Pence's Criminal Liability for Trump Related Felonies:

http://www.debate.org...

Trump's Criminal Campaign and Presidency:

http://www.debate.org...

Where we were, on Trump:

http://www.debate.org...

Russia: The Update

http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Posts: 42,698
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:16:50 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/1/2015 10:16:17 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:03:01 PM, TwistingStorm wrote:
It seems to me like every other thread that has a lengthy debate gets riddled with huge quote pyramids.

I am not talking about the small five quote pyramids; I am talking about pyramids with 10+ quotes in it. It makes the thread hard to read and the reply is hidden among mountains of quotes.

If banning them completely is not an option they should be limited to a max of five quotes within the pyramid. It would improve readability so much if they where banned or limited. I urge you to take this into strong consideration.

We should concentrate on intelligent debates and not hide and go seek with words.

They should be heavily implemented.
Mike Pence's Criminal Liability for Trump Related Felonies:

http://www.debate.org...

Trump's Criminal Campaign and Presidency:

http://www.debate.org...

Where we were, on Trump:

http://www.debate.org...

Russia: The Update

http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Posts: 42,698
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:17:26 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/1/2015 10:16:50 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:16:17 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:03:01 PM, TwistingStorm wrote:
It seems to me like every other thread that has a lengthy debate gets riddled with huge quote pyramids.

I am not talking about the small five quote pyramids; I am talking about pyramids with 10+ quotes in it. It makes the thread hard to read and the reply is hidden among mountains of quotes.

If banning them completely is not an option they should be limited to a max of five quotes within the pyramid. It would improve readability so much if they where banned or limited. I urge you to take this into strong consideration.

We should concentrate on intelligent debates and not hide and go seek with words.

They should be heavily implemented.

[content to be added]
Mike Pence's Criminal Liability for Trump Related Felonies:

http://www.debate.org...

Trump's Criminal Campaign and Presidency:

http://www.debate.org...

Where we were, on Trump:

http://www.debate.org...

Russia: The Update

http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Posts: 42,698
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:17:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/1/2015 10:17:26 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:16:50 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:16:17 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:03:01 PM, TwistingStorm wrote:
It seems to me like every other thread that has a lengthy debate gets riddled with huge quote pyramids.

I am not talking about the small five quote pyramids; I am talking about pyramids with 10+ quotes in it. It makes the thread hard to read and the reply is hidden among mountains of quotes.

If banning them completely is not an option they should be limited to a max of five quotes within the pyramid. It would improve readability so much if they where banned or limited. I urge you to take this into strong consideration.

We should concentrate on intelligent debates and not hide and go seek with words.

They should be heavily implemented.

[content to be added]

spam
Mike Pence's Criminal Liability for Trump Related Felonies:

http://www.debate.org...

Trump's Criminal Campaign and Presidency:

http://www.debate.org...

Where we were, on Trump:

http://www.debate.org...

Russia: The Update

http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Posts: 42,698
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:18:01 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/1/2015 10:17:38 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:17:26 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:16:50 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:16:17 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:03:01 PM, TwistingStorm wrote:
It seems to me like every other thread that has a lengthy debate gets riddled with huge quote pyramids.

I am not talking about the small five quote pyramids; I am talking about pyramids with 10+ quotes in it. It makes the thread hard to read and the reply is hidden among mountains of quotes.

If banning them completely is not an option they should be limited to a max of five quotes within the pyramid. It would improve readability so much if they where banned or limited. I urge you to take this into strong consideration.

We should concentrate on intelligent debates and not hide and go seek with words.

They should be heavily implemented.

[content to be added]

spam

Clearly, this is very important. Look at all the responses.
Mike Pence's Criminal Liability for Trump Related Felonies:

http://www.debate.org...

Trump's Criminal Campaign and Presidency:

http://www.debate.org...

Where we were, on Trump:

http://www.debate.org...

Russia: The Update

http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Posts: 42,698
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:18:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/1/2015 10:18:01 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:17:38 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:17:26 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:16:50 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:16:17 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:03:01 PM, TwistingStorm wrote:
It seems to me like every other thread that has a lengthy debate gets riddled with huge quote pyramids.

I am not talking about the small five quote pyramids; I am talking about pyramids with 10+ quotes in it. It makes the thread hard to read and the reply is hidden among mountains of quotes.

If banning them completely is not an option they should be limited to a max of five quotes within the pyramid. It would improve readability so much if they where banned or limited. I urge you to take this into strong consideration.

We should concentrate on intelligent debates and not hide and go seek with words.

They should be heavily implemented.

[content to be added]

spam

Clearly, this is very important. Look at all the responses.

But seriously... lol
Mike Pence's Criminal Liability for Trump Related Felonies:

http://www.debate.org...

Trump's Criminal Campaign and Presidency:

http://www.debate.org...

Where we were, on Trump:

http://www.debate.org...

Russia: The Update

http://www.debate.org...
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,337
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:23:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
A major problem with quotes on DDO is the bad formatting. It is difficult to match what is written in the quote with who wrote it because the usernames are at the top and separated from what's in the quote.

I don't understand the mindset of people who quote incessantly. Perhaps they don't realize that they make the thread impossible to read. Perhaps they don't realize that they can delete everything in a quote, just write their response and it would still show up as a notification. And if context is important, delete all the quotes besides the last one - the one which you are directly responding to.

As for banning quote pyramids: surprisingly I support this idea. Ideally, people would just stop quoting 6000 characters of text to add a single line but for some reason beyond my comprehension, they don't.

I think banning 2 quotes is more appropriate. People can quote once. But then they shouldn't be able to quote again.
ShabShoral
Posts: 4,006
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:28:32 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/1/2015 10:18:14 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:18:01 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:17:38 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:17:26 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:16:50 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:16:17 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:03:01 PM, TwistingStorm wrote:
It seems to me like every other thread that has a lengthy debate gets riddled with huge quote pyramids.

I am not talking about the small five quote pyramids; I am talking about pyramids with 10+ quotes in it. It makes the thread hard to read and the reply is hidden among mountains of quotes.

If banning them completely is not an option they should be limited to a max of five quotes within the pyramid. It would improve readability so much if they where banned or limited. I urge you to take this into strong consideration.

We should concentrate on intelligent debates and not hide and go seek with words.

They should be heavily implemented.

[content to be added]

spam

Clearly, this is very important. Look at all the responses.

But seriously... lol

This.
I would prefer not to.
YYW
Posts: 42,698
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:28:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/1/2015 10:23:45 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
A major problem with quotes on DDO is the bad formatting. It is difficult to match what is written in the quote with who wrote it because the usernames are at the top and separated from what's in the quote.

Indeed.

I don't understand the mindset of people who quote incessantly. Perhaps they don't realize that they make the thread impossible to read. Perhaps they don't realize that they can delete everything in a quote, just write their response and it would still show up as a notification. And if context is important, delete all the quotes besides the last one - the one which you are directly responding to.

The reason that I quote, often line by line, is because it enables me to specifically respond to what people write... but I also try to clean up the excessive quotes for practical reasons.

As for banning quote pyramids: surprisingly I support this idea. Ideally, people would just stop quoting 6000 characters of text to add a single line but for some reason beyond my comprehension, they don't.

For me, it depends. It's annoying, but it's not so annoying that I think we need a rule against it. That said, I read pretty fast and I'm pretty good at only focusing on what I need to focus on.
Mike Pence's Criminal Liability for Trump Related Felonies:

http://www.debate.org...

Trump's Criminal Campaign and Presidency:

http://www.debate.org...

Where we were, on Trump:

http://www.debate.org...

Russia: The Update

http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Posts: 42,698
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:29:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/1/2015 10:28:32 PM, ShabShoral wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:18:14 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:18:01 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:17:38 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:17:26 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:16:50 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:16:17 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:03:01 PM, TwistingStorm wrote:
It seems to me like every other thread that has a lengthy debate gets riddled with huge quote pyramids.

I am not talking about the small five quote pyramids; I am talking about pyramids with 10+ quotes in it. It makes the thread hard to read and the reply is hidden among mountains of quotes.

If banning them completely is not an option they should be limited to a max of five quotes within the pyramid. It would improve readability so much if they where banned or limited. I urge you to take this into strong consideration.

We should concentrate on intelligent debates and not hide and go seek with words.

They should be heavily implemented.

[content to be added]

spam

Clearly, this is very important. Look at all the responses.

But seriously... lol

This.

I do what I can.
Mike Pence's Criminal Liability for Trump Related Felonies:

http://www.debate.org...

Trump's Criminal Campaign and Presidency:

http://www.debate.org...

Where we were, on Trump:

http://www.debate.org...

Russia: The Update

http://www.debate.org...
ShabShoral
Posts: 4,006
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:29:25 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/1/2015 10:23:45 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
A major problem with quotes on DDO is the bad formatting. It is difficult to match what is written in the quote with who wrote it because the usernames are at the top and separated from what's in the quote.

I don't understand the mindset of people who quote incessantly. Perhaps they don't realize that they make the thread impossible to read. Perhaps they don't realize that they can delete everything in a quote, just write their response and it would still show up as a notification. And if context is important, delete all the quotes besides the last one - the one which you are directly responding to.

As for banning quote pyramids: surprisingly I support this idea. Ideally, people would just stop quoting 6000 characters of text to add a single line but for some reason beyond my comprehension, they don't.

I think banning 2 quotes is more appropriate. People can quote once. But then they shouldn't be able to quote again.

I disagree.
I would prefer not to.
YYW
Posts: 42,698
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:29:50 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/1/2015 10:29:25 PM, ShabShoral wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:23:45 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
A major problem with quotes on DDO is the bad formatting. It is difficult to match what is written in the quote with who wrote it because the usernames are at the top and separated from what's in the quote.

I don't understand the mindset of people who quote incessantly. Perhaps they don't realize that they make the thread impossible to read. Perhaps they don't realize that they can delete everything in a quote, just write their response and it would still show up as a notification. And if context is important, delete all the quotes besides the last one - the one which you are directly responding to.

As for banning quote pyramids: surprisingly I support this idea. Ideally, people would just stop quoting 6000 characters of text to add a single line but for some reason beyond my comprehension, they don't.

I think banning 2 quotes is more appropriate. People can quote once. But then they shouldn't be able to quote again.

I disagree.

I concur with your disagreement.
Mike Pence's Criminal Liability for Trump Related Felonies:

http://www.debate.org...

Trump's Criminal Campaign and Presidency:

http://www.debate.org...

Where we were, on Trump:

http://www.debate.org...

Russia: The Update

http://www.debate.org...
ShabShoral
Posts: 4,006
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:31:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/1/2015 10:29:50 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:29:25 PM, ShabShoral wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:23:45 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
A major problem with quotes on DDO is the bad formatting. It is difficult to match what is written in the quote with who wrote it because the usernames are at the top and separated from what's in the quote.

I don't understand the mindset of people who quote incessantly. Perhaps they don't realize that they make the thread impossible to read. Perhaps they don't realize that they can delete everything in a quote, just write their response and it would still show up as a notification. And if context is important, delete all the quotes besides the last one - the one which you are directly responding to.

As for banning quote pyramids: surprisingly I support this idea. Ideally, people would just stop quoting 6000 characters of text to add a single line but for some reason beyond my comprehension, they don't.

I think banning 2 quotes is more appropriate. People can quote once. But then they shouldn't be able to quote again.

I disagree.

I concur with your disagreement.

I thank you for your concurrence.
I would prefer not to.
YYW
Posts: 42,698
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:33:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/1/2015 10:31:46 PM, ShabShoral wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:29:50 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:29:25 PM, ShabShoral wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:23:45 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
A major problem with quotes on DDO is the bad formatting. It is difficult to match what is written in the quote with who wrote it because the usernames are at the top and separated from what's in the quote.

I don't understand the mindset of people who quote incessantly. Perhaps they don't realize that they make the thread impossible to read. Perhaps they don't realize that they can delete everything in a quote, just write their response and it would still show up as a notification. And if context is important, delete all the quotes besides the last one - the one which you are directly responding to.

As for banning quote pyramids: surprisingly I support this idea. Ideally, people would just stop quoting 6000 characters of text to add a single line but for some reason beyond my comprehension, they don't.

I think banning 2 quotes is more appropriate. People can quote once. But then they shouldn't be able to quote again.

I disagree.

I concur with your disagreement.

I thank you for your concurrence.

I extend my salutations in response to your demonstration of gratitude.
Mike Pence's Criminal Liability for Trump Related Felonies:

http://www.debate.org...

Trump's Criminal Campaign and Presidency:

http://www.debate.org...

Where we were, on Trump:

http://www.debate.org...

Russia: The Update

http://www.debate.org...
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,215
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:37:40 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/1/2015 10:33:58 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:31:46 PM, ShabShoral wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:29:50 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:29:25 PM, ShabShoral wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:23:45 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
A major problem with quotes on DDO is the bad formatting. It is difficult to match what is written in the quote with who wrote it because the usernames are at the top and separated from what's in the quote.

I don't understand the mindset of people who quote incessantly. Perhaps they don't realize that they make the thread impossible to read. Perhaps they don't realize that they can delete everything in a quote, just write their response and it would still show up as a notification. And if context is important, delete all the quotes besides the last one - the one which you are directly responding to.

As for banning quote pyramids: surprisingly I support this idea. Ideally, people would just stop quoting 6000 characters of text to add a single line but for some reason beyond my comprehension, they don't.

I think banning 2 quotes is more appropriate. People can quote once. But then they shouldn't be able to quote again.

I disagree.

I concur with your disagreement.

I thank you for your concurrence.

I extend my salutations in response to your demonstration of gratitude.

I, too, agree with this disagreement.
My work here is, finally, done.
YYW
Posts: 42,698
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:38:11 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/1/2015 10:37:40 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:33:58 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:31:46 PM, ShabShoral wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:29:50 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:29:25 PM, ShabShoral wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:23:45 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
A major problem with quotes on DDO is the bad formatting. It is difficult to match what is written in the quote with who wrote it because the usernames are at the top and separated from what's in the quote.

I don't understand the mindset of people who quote incessantly. Perhaps they don't realize that they make the thread impossible to read. Perhaps they don't realize that they can delete everything in a quote, just write their response and it would still show up as a notification. And if context is important, delete all the quotes besides the last one - the one which you are directly responding to.

As for banning quote pyramids: surprisingly I support this idea. Ideally, people would just stop quoting 6000 characters of text to add a single line but for some reason beyond my comprehension, they don't.

I think banning 2 quotes is more appropriate. People can quote once. But then they shouldn't be able to quote again.

I disagree.

I concur with your disagreement.

I thank you for your concurrence.

I extend my salutations in response to your demonstration of gratitude.

I, too, agree with this disagreement.

It seems that a majority has formed.
Mike Pence's Criminal Liability for Trump Related Felonies:

http://www.debate.org...

Trump's Criminal Campaign and Presidency:

http://www.debate.org...

Where we were, on Trump:

http://www.debate.org...

Russia: The Update

http://www.debate.org...
FourTrouble
Posts: 15,952
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:38:16 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I agree with F-16. Of course, it's a much bigger problem when you're playing mafia, because you'll reread the game looking for specific posts. Quote pyramids make that process incredibly annoying. So I'd definitely support a ban in the mafia forums. For the regular forums, it's not as big a deal, since people aren't posting with the idea of going back and analyzing everything everyone ever said.
If you'd like a vote on your debate, please send me a link. I'll do my best to offer a sufficient RFD in your favor.

Also: If you'd like to vote bomb a debate and need help crafting a sufficient RFD, let me know.
YYW
Posts: 42,698
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:38:56 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/1/2015 10:38:16 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
I agree with F-16. Of course, it's a much bigger problem when you're playing mafia, because you'll reread the game looking for specific posts. Quote pyramids make that process incredibly annoying. So I'd definitely support a ban in the mafia forums. For the regular forums, it's not as big a deal, since people aren't posting with the idea of going back and analyzing everything everyone ever said.

lol well yeah it's irritating as sh!t in mafia, but in the forums not a big deal.
Mike Pence's Criminal Liability for Trump Related Felonies:

http://www.debate.org...

Trump's Criminal Campaign and Presidency:

http://www.debate.org...

Where we were, on Trump:

http://www.debate.org...

Russia: The Update

http://www.debate.org...
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,215
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:39:34 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/1/2015 10:38:11 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:37:40 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:33:58 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:31:46 PM, ShabShoral wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:29:50 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:29:25 PM, ShabShoral wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:23:45 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
A major problem with quotes on DDO is the bad formatting. It is difficult to match what is written in the quote with who wrote it because the usernames are at the top and separated from what's in the quote.

I don't understand the mindset of people who quote incessantly. Perhaps they don't realize that they make the thread impossible to read. Perhaps they don't realize that they can delete everything in a quote, just write their response and it would still show up as a notification. And if context is important, delete all the quotes besides the last one - the one which you are directly responding to.

As for banning quote pyramids: surprisingly I support this idea. Ideally, people would just stop quoting 6000 characters of text to add a single line but for some reason beyond my comprehension, they don't.

I think banning 2 quotes is more appropriate. People can quote once. But then they shouldn't be able to quote again.

I disagree.

I concur with your disagreement.

I thank you for your concurrence.

I extend my salutations in response to your demonstration of gratitude.

I, too, agree with this disagreement.

It seems that a majority has formed.

I think FT has null and voided our majority, and, alas, it appears to be a stalemate.
My work here is, finally, done.
FourTrouble
Posts: 15,952
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:40:48 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/1/2015 10:40:06 PM, TBR wrote:
The solution is forum software from this century.

lol.
If you'd like a vote on your debate, please send me a link. I'll do my best to offer a sufficient RFD in your favor.

Also: If you'd like to vote bomb a debate and need help crafting a sufficient RFD, let me know.
ShabShoral
Posts: 4,006
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:43:22 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I like how the quoting on this site works - you can easily trace quotes back to who said them, by virtue of the lines down the side.
I would prefer not to.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,215
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:44:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/1/2015 10:23:45 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
A major problem with quotes on DDO is the bad formatting. It is difficult to match what is written in the quote with who wrote it because the usernames are at the top and separated from what's in the quote.
A don't have a problem with the formatting, per se, but it is hard to see who said what. I think if the lines were of two colors, it would be much easier.

I don't understand the mindset of people who quote incessantly. Perhaps they don't realize that they make the thread impossible to read. Perhaps they don't realize that they can delete everything in a quote, just write their response and it would still show up as a notification. And if context is important, delete all the quotes besides the last one - the one which you are directly responding to.
In regular forums, I'll often quote to keep the context and flow of the thought process.
However, I'm sure most people will say it is simply too hard to delete stuff on mobile.

As for banning quote pyramids: surprisingly I support this idea. Ideally, people would just stop quoting 6000 characters of text to add a single line but for some reason beyond my comprehension, they don't.
At that point, it is annoying. I agree. Especially with a single line of text for the entire post (as opposed to breaking up the post to respond line by line).

I think banning 2 quotes is more appropriate. People can quote once. But then they shouldn't be able to quote again.

Disagree.
My work here is, finally, done.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,215
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:45:51 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/1/2015 10:43:22 PM, ShabShoral wrote:
I like how the quoting on this site works - you can easily trace quotes back to who said them, by virtue of the lines down the side.

I actually have a hard time with that after a few quotes. I'd like to see a better way to distinguish between speakers, like two colors.
My work here is, finally, done.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,337
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:57:28 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/1/2015 10:28:45 PM, YYW wrote:
The reason that I quote, often line by line, is because it enables me to specifically respond to what people write

Line by line is fine. It is the multi-quoting without deleting the extraneous stuff that's not just annoying but seriously compromises readability.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,337
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:59:12 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/1/2015 10:38:16 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
I agree with F-16. Of course, it's a much bigger problem when you're playing mafia, because you'll reread the game looking for specific posts. Quote pyramids make that process incredibly annoying. So I'd definitely support a ban in the mafia forums. For the regular forums, it's not as big a deal, since people aren't posting with the idea of going back and analyzing everything everyone ever said.

Perhaps mafia mods banning quote pyramids in their games is good.
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 11:05:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/1/2015 10:59:12 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 5/1/2015 10:38:16 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
I agree with F-16. Of course, it's a much bigger problem when you're playing mafia, because you'll reread the game looking for specific posts. Quote pyramids make that process incredibly annoying. So I'd definitely support a ban in the mafia forums. For the regular forums, it's not as big a deal, since people aren't posting with the idea of going back and analyzing everything everyone ever said.

Perhaps mafia mods banning quote pyramids in their games is good.

https://plus.google.com...
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...