Jump to topic:

My path to being the best debater on DDO

Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 11:59:08 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Some of you may have noticed that on my profile, I've written a piece about what I want to achieve on this site. I've been told a fair bit lately that I'm arrogant, cocky, delusional and all kinds of things for writing like that, and people are starting to ignore my comments or write dismissive comments in response. So, it's about time that I fulfilled what I wrote there.

What this means is that I'm going to cut-down on the noob-snipes and start debating harder people. I've just instigated a debate with bossy on his pet-subject of Objectivism, of which if I were to win, would be my 100th win and pretty much put me on the front-page of the leaderboard. This would mean that I would be the first heterosexual girl to make it to the front page (at least from my knowledge), something which is nice to achieve but not what I ultimately want.

From there, I plan on restoring my dignity against people like Wylted and Donald.Keller -- people who have beaten me quite badly in the past. Then I will continue my rise to the top by challenging people like Danielle (whom I don't like at all and would love to give her a thrashing similar to how 16k gave her one. Hopefully she will come back), Roy Latham and the edeb8 guy (Larz??).

Finally, I would make a claim for the very top by beating bluesteel not just once (because that could be labelled as a fluke), but twice, meaning that I would be 2-1 vs. him.

Anyway, this is going to take at least several months to achieve and I might even stumble at a couple of points, but this is going to happen. I feel that I am closer than everyone thinks I am. But who cares what those people think. They just need to watch.
8elB6U5THIqaSm5QhiNLVnRJA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2015 12:00:26 AM
At 5/1/2015 11:59:08 PM, Zarroette wrote:

That's all well and good but what happens when you lose every single one?
hey b0ss ( V5;" V0;B2; V5;")
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2015 12:01:14 AM
At 5/2/2015 12:00:26 AM, 8elB6U5THIqaSm5QhiNLVnRJA wrote:

That is absolutely not going to happen.
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2015 12:03:17 AM
At 5/2/2015 12:01:14 AM, Zarroette wrote:

Optimists are all good and fun until they take their head out of the sand.
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2015 12:05:06 AM
At 5/2/2015 12:03:17 AM, 8elB6U5THIqaSm5QhiNLVnRJA wrote:
At 5/2/2015 12:01:14 AM, Zarroette wrote:

Optimists are all good and fun until they take their head out of the sand.

All you have to do is watch...
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2015 12:16:58 AM
Some of you may have noticed that on my profile, I've written a piece about what I want to achieve on this site. I've been told a fair bit lately that I'm arrogant, cocky, delusional and all kinds of things for writing like that, and people are starting to ignore my comments or write dismissive comments in response. So, it's about time that I fulfilled what I wrote there.

What this means is that I'm going to cut-down on the noob-snipes and start debating harder people. I've just instigated a debate with bossy on his pet-subject of Objectivism, of which if I were to win, would be my 100th win and pretty much put me on the front-page of the leaderboard. This would mean that I would be the first heterosexual girl to make it to the front page (at least from my knowledge), something which is nice to achieve but not what I ultimately want.

From there, I plan on restoring my dignity against people like Wylted and Donald.Keller -- people who have beaten me quite badly in the past. Then I will continue my rise to the top by challenging people like Danielle (whom I don't like at all and would love to give her a thrashing similar to how 16k gave her one. Hopefully she will come back), Roy Latham and the edeb8 guy (Larz??).

Finally, I would make a claim for the very top by beating bluesteel not just once (because that could be labelled as a fluke), but twice, meaning that I would be 2-1 vs. him.

Anyway, this is going to take at least several months to achieve and I might even stumble at a couple of points, but this is going to happen. I feel that I am closer than everyone thinks I am. But who cares what those people think. They just need to watch.

Good luck to you. Why is this important to you?
orangutan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2015 12:21:07 AM
What is even the point of posting this? So you can brag to the rest of us that you are better than we are? You may very well be able to accomplish your goal, and I wish you luck on it, but there is a reason why people would think you are arrogant for making claims like this.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2015 12:32:05 AM

Wife, you don't have to prove anything to anyone. People insult you because they're jealous and they can't comprehend what having a legitimate, worthwhile, and achievable goal is. They're scared you could say, scared that you'll prove them all wrong.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
orangutan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2015 12:34:55 AM
Having ambition is good, and there is nothing wrong with wanting to be the best. But if you achieve your goal, I would not be at all surprised if you decided to make another thread to basically say, "See, you doubters, I told you that I am the best ever! I'm so exceptional! Haha! Suck it!"
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2015 12:48:09 AM
At 5/2/2015 12:32:05 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

Wife, you don't have to prove anything to anyone. People insult you because they're jealous and they can't comprehend what having a legitimate, worthwhile, and achievable goal is. They're scared you could say, scared that you'll prove them all wrong.

lmfao
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2015 12:56:39 AM
At 5/2/2015 12:21:07 AM, orangutan wrote:
What is even the point of posting this? So you can brag to the rest of us that you are better than we are? You may very well be able to accomplish your goal, and I wish you luck on it, but there is a reason why people would think you are arrogant for making claims like this.

Literally almost everyone on this site has made a list of the people they consider to be the best debaters. If her goal is achievable, and if she does achieve it, it's no worse for her to rank herself as the best than it is for anyone else to rank, say, Bluesteel as the best currently.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2015 12:56:47 AM

- You sound really determined, I wish I had such resolution. I am too lazy when it comes to anything internet related.

- The main obstacle I see in your plan is the fact that you hold unpopular beliefs, which will probably make your positions, regardless if well defended, not compelling enough to the voters. For someone who shares your views (more or less), I'll be happy to vote (on merit), just to balance the biased scale. I enjoy reading your arguments anyways.
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2015 1:00:32 AM

You go girl, I believe in you!
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Oh Hey, Seeing Artichokes Makes Me Want to Have Sex."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2015 1:01:47 AM
I don't think there's anything at all wrong with being ambitious or optimistic. Good for you!
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2015 1:07:24 AM
At 5/2/2015 1:00:32 AM, Lee001 wrote:

You believe she can beat me....? >:-{
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2015 1:21:41 AM
At 5/2/2015 1:07:24 AM, bluesteel wrote:

Opps...no. She will never beat you ;)
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Oh Hey, Seeing Artichokes Makes Me Want to Have Sex."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2015 1:23:18 AM
At 5/2/2015 12:16:58 AM, UndeniableReality wrote:

Good luck to you. Why is this important to you?

Thank you =)

It would make me feel a lot better about myself.
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2015 1:23:51 AM

I don't think it's arrogant. I think it is factual ;)
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2015 1:25:26 AM

Wife, you don't have to prove anything to anyone.

No, I really do. I want to show them all wrong.

People insult you because they're jealous and they can't comprehend what having a legitimate, worthwhile, and achievable goal is. They're scared you could say, scared that you'll prove them all wrong.

Yes, but now I want to prove them wrong. Well done is better than well said.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2015 1:26:34 AM
At 5/2/2015 1:25:26 AM, Zarroette wrote:

People insult you because they're jealous and they can't comprehend what having a legitimate, worthwhile, and achievable goal is. They're scared you could say, scared that you'll prove them all wrong.

And I know you will succeed.

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2015 1:33:43 AM
At 5/2/2015 12:56:47 AM, Yassine wrote:

- You sound really determined, I wish I had such resolution. I am too lazy when it comes to anything internet related.

It's just about keeping your thoughts disciplined. I guess it's easy to think 'I'm on the internet. Nothing here really matters'. But maybe I'm putting words in your mouth...

- The main obstacle I see in your plan is the fact that you hold unpopular beliefs, which will probably make your positions, regardless if well defended, not compelling enough to the voters.

When things get complicated on this site, people usually abstain from voting until Whiteflame and bluesteel vote, and then they basically copy their votes. Whiteflame and bluesteel are about as fair as it gets, when it comes to voting, so even if people don't agree with me stance, they won't vote if they don't understand it, or they will leave an obvious votebomb that will get removed.

Also, you can put voting elo limits on the debate, which means that the only people to worry about are people that dislike me (YYW, Danielle etc.), but even then they usually abstain from voting, if they think I won.

tl;dr: the voting on this site is pretty good, so long as the voting elo is set to 2.5/3 k.

For someone who shares your views (more or less), I'll be happy to vote (on merit), just to balance the biased scale. I enjoy reading your arguments anyways.

Well hopefully I will be able to impress you =)
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2015 1:35:35 AM
At 5/2/2015 1:21:41 AM, Lee001 wrote:
At 5/2/2015 1:07:24 AM, bluesteel wrote:

Opps...no. She will never beat you ;)

He's beatable. He is human, after all.
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2015 1:36:14 AM
At 5/2/2015 1:26:34 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

Thank you, my wife =)
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2015 1:37:27 AM
At 5/2/2015 1:30:57 AM, XLAV wrote:
Posting this thread was a waste of time.

These are the kinds of comments that drive me to beat people. Bluesteel got lucky that I didn't understand the implications of my resolution. The next time we meet, he won't be so lucky.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2015 1:43:58 AM
At 5/2/2015 1:36:14 AM, Zarroette wrote:
At 5/2/2015 1:26:34 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

Thank you, my wife =)

<3

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2015 1:45:57 AM
At 5/2/2015 1:33:43 AM, Zarroette wrote:

It's just about keeping your thoughts disciplined. I guess it's easy to think 'I'm on the internet. Nothing here really matters'. But maybe I'm putting words in your mouth...

- That's exactly the reason why. I kinda have a 'meh' attitude towards internet commitments.

When things get complicated on this site, people usually abstain from voting until Whiteflame and bluesteel vote, and then they basically copy their votes. Whiteflame and bluesteel are about as fair as it gets, when it comes to voting, so even if people don't agree with me stance, they won't vote if they don't understand it, or they will leave an obvious votebomb that will get removed.
Also, you can put voting elo limits on the debate, which means that the only people to worry about are people that dislike me (YYW, Danielle etc.), but even then they usually abstain from voting, if they think I won.

- So you got this all figured out! Well, all I can say is good luck ;)

tl;dr: the voting on this site is pretty good, so long as the voting elo is set to 2.5/3 k.

- Or you can do judges voting.

Well hopefully I will be able to impress you =)

- Can't wait, maybe you can squeeze in a debate with me there in you quest, hopefully I won't be so lazy then.
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2015 2:21:45 AM
These songs remind me of your determination:
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
Death23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2015 3:54:04 AM
At 5/2/2015 1:23:51 AM, Zarroette wrote:

Arrogance: an insulting way of thinking or behaving that comes from believing that you are better, smarter, or more important than other people

What is even the point of posting this? So you can brag to the rest of us that you are better than we are?

It is arrogance, and it isn't factual.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2015 5:04:13 AM

Interesting. I hope you'll have to come across me at some point, though I'm sure you'll probably win :p
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass