Jump to topic:

Official May Beginner's Tournament: Sign-Ups

ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2015 10:12:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Hello there, denizens of DDO and beyond, and welcome to the official May 2015 Beginner's tournament - back and better than ever, and with never-before-seen features, prizes, exclusives, and special guests, it has never quite been this hot and spicy on DDO.

Overly melodramatic? Yes, quite a bit, and it turns out that I'm not cut out to be a sportscaster.

Anyhow, this should be an interesting event nevertheless. I've seen several spectacular turnouts in the past, and even once-newbies rise through the ranks to later become some of the most formidable and respected members of this website. The question this raises, of course, is who's next?

A beginner's tournament is a wonderful way to meet new people, explore new topics under the mentorship of some of the site's best and brightest, and to make a name for yourself. In particular, I recommend this tournament to newer members without much formal debating experience; it's a wonderful and easy way to hone your skills in a low-stress environment with individualized attention precisely tailored to your own needs. What could you have to lose?

PARTICULARS

This will be an 8-member, double-elimination tournament (i.e., Round 1 will be randomized, and you will be paired with someone of a comparable win record thereafter). Each participant will be paired with a mentor, who will offer assistance and guidance throughout the process. The intention, of course, is for the mentor to guide the newbie in the right direction, in lieu of writing the case himself. If we wanted to see a debate between two site regulars, we would hold a "regulars" tournament. That isn't the point, nor the spirit, of this event.

A "beginner" will be defined, as it was last time, as someone with either less than 2,500 ELO OR with less than 10 debates.

Ideally, we'll have a mentor-to-beginner ratio of 2:1, meaning that I'm looking for 4 mentors. I should note that I reserve the right to veto any mentor applications; this is not to say that I will do so out of spite, but clearly a member who has just signed up or hasn't any experience debating ought not be mentoring newer debaters.

SIGN-UPS

Beginners
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)

Mentors
1)
2)
3)
4)

Cheers!

~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 12:22:08 AM
I believe forfeits don't count (and most of me previous debates are opponent forfeits except the dialects one, the vi_spex one, and the one with megatron) so...

At 5/5/2015 10:12:07 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
Hello there, denizens of DDO and beyond, and welcome to the official May 2015 Beginner's tournament - back and better than ever, and with never-before-seen features, prizes, exclusives, and special guests, it has never quite been this hot and spicy on DDO.

Overly melodramatic? Yes, quite a bit, and it turns out that I'm not cut out to be a sportscaster.

Anyhow, this should be an interesting event nevertheless. I've seen several spectacular turnouts in the past, and even once-newbies rise through the ranks to later become some of the most formidable and respected members of this website. The question this raises, of course, is who's next?

A beginner's tournament is a wonderful way to meet new people, explore new topics under the mentorship of some of the site's best and brightest, and to make a name for yourself. In particular, I recommend this tournament to newer members without much formal debating experience; it's a wonderful and easy way to hone your skills in a low-stress environment with individualized attention precisely tailored to your own needs. What could you have to lose?

PARTICULARS

This will be an 8-member, double-elimination tournament (i.e., Round 1 will be randomized, and you will be paired with someone of a comparable win record thereafter). Each participant will be paired with a mentor, who will offer assistance and guidance throughout the process. The intention, of course, is for the mentor to guide the newbie in the right direction, in lieu of writing the case himself. If we wanted to see a debate between two site regulars, we would hold a "regulars" tournament. That isn't the point, nor the spirit, of this event.

A "beginner" will be defined, as it was last time, as someone with either less than 2,500 ELO OR with less than 10 debates.

Ideally, we'll have a mentor-to-beginner ratio of 2:1, meaning that I'm looking for 4 mentors. I should note that I reserve the right to veto any mentor applications; this is not to say that I will do so out of spite, but clearly a member who has just signed up or hasn't any experience debating ought not be mentoring newer debaters.

SIGN-UPS

Beginners
1) Diqiucun_Cunmin
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)

Mentors
1)
2)
3)
4)

Cheers!

The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 9:19:14 AM

PARTICULARS

SIGN-UPS

Beginners
1) Diqiucun_Cunmin
2) Hayd
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)

Mentors
1)
2)
3)
4)

Cheers!

ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 9:32:55 AM
At 5/6/2015 9:27:42 AM, Varrack wrote:
Are there certain requirements for being a mentor?

Not necessarily, though as I said, I reserve the right to veto any applications.

DDO's Economics Messiah
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 9:41:03 AM
NOTE: As this point, if you're interested in mentoring, please send me a PM stating your interest in lieu of posting in this thread. I'm going to choose 4 from the available applicant pool.

DDO's Economics Messiah
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 11:36:32 AM
Actually, we could realistically, depending on interest, change the mentor-to-beginner ratio. By no means is 4 binding.

DDO's Economics Messiah
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 11:41:00 AM

PARTICULARS

SIGN-UPS

Beginners
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)

Mentors
1)
2)
3)
4)

Cheers!

Can someone sign up whom only has completed 3 debates?
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Oh Hey, Seeing Artichokes Makes Me Want to Have Sex."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 11:41:20 AM

PARTICULARS

SIGN-UPS

Beginners
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)

Mentors
1)
2)
3)
4)

Cheers!

Opps, nevermind.
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 11:42:39 AM
At 5/6/2015 11:41:00 AM, Lee001 wrote:

For a mentor position, or as a competitor?

Yes to the latter, and possibly to the former - though I would forewarn anyone with a small number of debates that the odds of securing that position are slim.

DDO's Economics Messiah
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 11:46:25 AM
At 5/6/2015 11:42:39 AM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
At 5/6/2015 11:41:00 AM, Lee001 wrote:

For a mentor position, or as a competitor?

Yes to the latter, and possibly to the former - though I would forewarn anyone with a small number of debates that the odds of securing that position are slim.

As a competitor. Thanks, I'll talk to him.

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 12:19:15 PM
SIGN-UPS

Note: The sign-ups for mentors, at present, are being handled privately. I already have a few people in mind, so this list will hopefully be updated soon, consistent with the enrollment of 8 beginners.

Beginners
1) Diqiucun_Cunmin
2) Hayd
3) 8elB6U5THIqaSm5QhiNLVnRJA
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)

DDO's Economics Messiah
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 3:40:06 PM
At 5/6/2015 3:37:58 PM, Diego_St.Clair wrote:
I wish to sign up for this tournament.

Alright, you're in.

Beginners
1) Diqiucun_Cunmin
2) Hayd
4) Diego_St.Clair
5)
6)
7)
8)

DDO's Economics Messiah
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 3:43:32 PM
At 5/6/2015 3:37:58 PM, Diego_St.Clair wrote:
I wish to sign up for this tournament.

Oh yeah buddy!

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 4:03:35 PM
Beginners
1) Diqiucun_Cunmin
2) Hayd
4) Diego_St.Clair
5) [Reserved] 1harderthanyouthink
6)
7)
8)

DDO's Economics Messiah
kasmic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 4:08:16 PM
Though I have completed more debates and have a higher elo than is allowed in this tourney... I feel very much like a beginner.
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 5:19:30 PM
At 5/6/2015 4:03:35 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
Beginners
1) Diqiucun_Cunmin
2) Hayd
4) Diego_St.Clair
6) Lannan13 (ELO 1850)
7)
8)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 5:41:16 PM
Beginners
1) Diqiucun_Cunmin
2) Hayd
4) Diego_St.Clair
6) Espera
7) Lannan13
8)

DDO's Economics Messiah
kasmic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 5:43:47 PM
At 5/6/2015 5:41:16 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
Beginners
1) Diqiucun_Cunmin
2) Hayd
4) Diego_St.Clair
6) Espera
7) Lannan13
8)

Has anyone signed up to mentor?

ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 5:44:28 PM
At 5/6/2015 5:43:47 PM, kasmic wrote:
Beginners
1) Diqiucun_Cunmin
2) Hayd
4) Diego_St.Clair
6) Espera
7) Lannan13
8)

A few have, yeah. I'm looking for two more at this point.

DDO's Economics Messiah
kasmic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 5:45:53 PM
At 5/6/2015 5:44:28 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
Beginners
1) Diqiucun_Cunmin
2) Hayd
4) Diego_St.Clair
6) Espera
7) Lannan13
8)

Well, if you need I would be willing.

ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 5:51:12 PM
At 5/6/2015 5:45:53 PM, kasmic wrote:
Beginners
1) Diqiucun_Cunmin
2) Hayd
4) Diego_St.Clair
6) Espera
7) Lannan13
8)

Okay, great. I have some applications pending, from which I'll pick four, but I'll let you know.

DDO's Economics Messiah
That1User
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 6:14:12 PM
At 5/6/2015 5:51:12 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
At 5/6/2015 5:45:53 PM, kasmic wrote:
Beginners
1) Diqiucun_Cunmin
2) Hayd
4) Diego_St.Clair
6) Espera
7) Lannan13
8)That1User

Okay, great. I have some applications pending, from which I'll pick four, but I'll let you know.
"Our life is what our thoughts make it."
R13; Marcus Aurelius
"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -Marcus Aurelius
"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." -Voltaire
"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do. "-Voltaire
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 6:17:37 PM
At 5/6/2015 6:10:59 PM, Hayd wrote:
will there be a limit to how many people can sign up or can only 8 participantes enter and 4 mentors?

Depending on interest, I could expand both.

So, by all means, if anyone else would like to sign up, please say so.

DDO's Economics Messiah
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 6:50:11 PM
Beginners
1) Diqiucun_Cunmin
2) Hayd
4) Diego_St.Clair
6) Espera
7) Lannan13
8)

Why is Lannan signed up? he's experienced...

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 6:53:49 PM
At 5/6/2015 6:50:11 PM, Lee001 wrote:
Why is Lannan signed up? he's experienced...

The criteria that qualify people for this tournament *do not* stipulate that a subjective evaluation of one's experience - whether Lannan were experienced, as I agree that he is, or not. Instead, there are two numbers in the OP, the former of which he meets.

DDO's Economics Messiah