Total Posts:19|Showing Posts:1-19
Jump to topic:

How do you

kasmic
Posts: 1,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 4:27:02 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
How do you guys structure your arguments when building a case?

Do you list impacts, contentions, stats etc...?

Do you just start writing?

What is your process for constructing a case?
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Posts: 12,398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 5:14:30 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/7/2015 4:27:02 PM, kasmic wrote:
How do you guys structure your arguments when building a case?

Do you list impacts, contentions, stats etc...?

Do you just start writing?

What is your process for constructing a case?

I throw stuff at a wall and see what sticks - and then cut 5,000 to 6,000 characters to reach the character count.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
kasmic
Posts: 1,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 5:15:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I throw stuff at a wall and see what sticks - and then cut 5,000 to 6,000 characters to reach the character count.

Do you usually have to cut 5,000 to 6,000 characters?
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Posts: 12,398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 5:16:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/7/2015 5:15:46 PM, kasmic wrote:
I throw stuff at a wall and see what sticks - and then cut 5,000 to 6,000 characters to reach the character count.

Do you usually have to cut 5,000 to 6,000 characters?

Not usually, though I did during my last serious debate (which took place on Edeb8). Mind you, there was a 15,000 character cap there, lol.

But I do usually have to cut quite a bit, though I couldn't give you a hard number on it.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
kasmic
Posts: 1,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 5:17:37 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
You do just throw out ideas as they come though?
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 5:17:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/7/2015 5:16:50 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
At 5/7/2015 5:15:46 PM, kasmic wrote:
I throw stuff at a wall and see what sticks - and then cut 5,000 to 6,000 characters to reach the character count.

Do you usually have to cut 5,000 to 6,000 characters?

Not usually, though I did during my last serious debate (which took place on Edeb8). Mind you, there was a 15,000 character cap there, lol.

But I do usually have to cut quite a bit, though I couldn't give you a hard number on it.

If you can't give him a hard number, can you give him a hard anything else?
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Posts: 12,398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 5:19:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/7/2015 5:17:37 PM, kasmic wrote:
You do just throw out ideas as they come though?

Sort of. Ideally, I already know enough about the topic to outline a case - if I don't, I probably won't take the debate - so I'm already able to write the tag lines for my contentions and have at least a vague idea of where I'm going and what impacts my arguments will have. From there, it's a question of what research I can find on the topic, which may take me in a slightly different direction.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
kasmic
Posts: 1,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 5:19:06 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
If you can't give him a hard number, can you give him a hard anything else?

No thanks.
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Posts: 12,398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 5:20:02 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/7/2015 5:17:49 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 5/7/2015 5:16:50 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
At 5/7/2015 5:15:46 PM, kasmic wrote:
I throw stuff at a wall and see what sticks - and then cut 5,000 to 6,000 characters to reach the character count.

Do you usually have to cut 5,000 to 6,000 characters?

Not usually, though I did during my last serious debate (which took place on Edeb8). Mind you, there was a 15,000 character cap there, lol.

But I do usually have to cut quite a bit, though I couldn't give you a hard number on it.

If you can't give him a hard number, can you give him a hard anything else?

Lol.

Wow, dude.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
ShabShoral
Posts: 3,245
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 5:46:55 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/7/2015 4:27:02 PM, kasmic wrote:
How do you guys structure your arguments when building a case?

Do you list impacts, contentions, stats etc...?

Do you just start writing?

What is your process for constructing a case?

Start from first principles and work upwards.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz

"No aspect of your facial structure suggests Filipino descent."
~ YYW
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Posts: 12,398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 5:48:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/7/2015 5:46:55 PM, ShabShoral wrote:
At 5/7/2015 4:27:02 PM, kasmic wrote:
How do you guys structure your arguments when building a case?

Do you list impacts, contentions, stats etc...?

Do you just start writing?

What is your process for constructing a case?

Start from first principles and work upwards.

Principle 1: Altruism rocks
Principle 2: Hurrah, utilitarianism

Right?
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
YYW
Posts: 36,417
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 8:16:40 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/7/2015 4:27:02 PM, kasmic wrote:
How do you guys structure your arguments when building a case?

Do you list impacts, contentions, stats etc...?

Do you just start writing?

What is your process for constructing a case?

Debate arguments on here generally follow this structure:

You start with an idea (What are you trying to persuade me to believe, as a judge?)

You give the reason for that idea (Why is your idea the case? Prove it.)

You articulate the impact (Why should I care that you have this idea?)
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,417
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 8:18:56 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/7/2015 8:16:40 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/7/2015 4:27:02 PM, kasmic wrote:
How do you guys structure your arguments when building a case?

Do you list impacts, contentions, stats etc...?

Do you just start writing?

What is your process for constructing a case?

Debate arguments on here generally follow this structure:

You start with an idea (What are you trying to persuade me to believe, as a judge?)

You give the reason for that idea (Why is your idea the case? Prove it.)

You articulate the impact (Why should I care that you have this idea?)

Example:

Intro: I oppose gay marriage.

Gay marriage is bad. The reason gay marriage is bad is because gay people have butt-sex, and butt-sex is icky. We need to minimize ickiness in our society.

Conclusion: Don't support gay marriage.
Tsar of DDO
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2015 8:40:28 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/7/2015 4:27:02 PM, kasmic wrote:
How do you guys structure your arguments when building a case?

Do you list impacts, contentions, stats etc...?

Do you just start writing?

What is your process for constructing a case?

First, I try to clarify the issue--define terms, explain what the debate is about, explain what it is NOT about so as to avoid red herrings.

Then I talk a little about burden of proof and what it would take for each person to carry their burden of proof, what they must show, etc.

Then I start my arguments. I usually try to put my strongest arguments first and last with the weaker arguments in the middle. That way I make a good first impression and a good last impression.

If space permits, I write a conclusion, maybe listing the arguments I made and saying something like, "Con has to show that this or that is false in order to refute this or that argument."
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2015 8:43:37 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/8/2015 8:40:28 AM, philochristos wrote:

Then I start my arguments. I usually try to put my strongest arguments first and last with the weaker arguments in the middle. That way I make a good first impression and a good last impression.

I don't always order my arguments that way, though. Sometimes, there's a logical order to the arguments that I follow.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
kasmic
Posts: 1,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2015 5:15:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I compiled some of what has been shared with what I do and what others on the site have mentioned about this. Anything else that should be included?

Debate checklist:

1: Housekeeping

"First, I try to clarify the issue--define terms, explain what the debate is about, explain what it is NOT about so as to avoid red herrings." Philo

"start with an idea (What are you trying to persuade me to believe, as a judge?)" (YYW)

a) definitions
b) burden analysis
c) What the debate is/is not about

2: Case Structure

"You give the reason for that idea (Why is your idea the case? Prove it.)" (YYW)
"You articulate the impact (Why should I care that you have this idea?)" (YYW)

a) Harm: state what's wrong on a general level
b) Link: provide evidence and analysis linking the opposing case to that harm
c) Solvency: a link, provide a point on solvency, explaining how my plan solves for it.
d) Impact: give clear reasoning as to why biting that harm should be viewed as a winning point

Conclusion: summarize points
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
kasmic
Posts: 1,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2015 5:16:42 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/8/2015 5:15:19 PM, kasmic wrote:
I compiled some of what has been shared with what I do and what others on the site have mentioned about this. Anything else that should be included?

Debate checklist:

1: Housekeeping

"First, I try to clarify the issue--define terms, explain what the debate is about, explain what it is NOT about so as to avoid red herrings." Philo

"start with an idea (What are you trying to persuade me to believe, as a judge?)" (YYW)

a) definitions
b) burden analysis
c) What the debate is/is not about


2: Case Structure

"You give the reason for that idea (Why is your idea the case? Prove it.)" (YYW)
"You articulate the impact (Why should I care that you have this idea?)" (YYW)

a) Harm: state what's wrong on a general level
b) Link: provide evidence and analysis linking the opposing case to that harm
c) Solvency: a link, provide a point on solvency, explaining how my plan solves for it.
d) Impact: give clear reasoning as to why biting that harm should be viewed as a winning point

Conclusion: summarize points

Though I have not personally used this, I think I will try it the next time I do a debate.
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
Daktoria
Posts: 497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2015 8:54:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/7/2015 4:27:02 PM, kasmic wrote:
How do you guys structure your arguments when building a case?

Do you list impacts, contentions, stats etc...?

Do you just start writing?

What is your process for constructing a case?

Start from beginning to end. Analyze why things are necessary for what becomes possible, and show how your point fits in the analysis.