Bsh/Zaradi Campaign Platform

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 5:29:26 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
INTRO

This platform is a list of goals and things we would like to do if able. We recognize that Juggle may not be cooperative in realizing some of these planks, and so our main focus will be on community-building and things we can do ourselves. But, if Juggle is willing to work with us, we will be ready to work with them, though we could likely only get a small handful of those ideas through. The platform may appear, therefore, to be idealistic, but we do have a realistic notion of what we could accomplish.

PLATFORM

Community Building

These are things that we would be able to implement on our own, sans Juggle's involvement. This is the most realizable portion of the platform, and the one we can and will begin work on right away if elected.

- Host "Forum Topics of the Month" in several sections of the site in order to promote high-quality discussion
- Make Bi-weekly (once a fortnight) threads highlighting good debates, votes, and threads, and which positively recognizes once user each week.
- Host discussions on important current-issues on DDO (e.g. voting standards)
- Work to promote the Fan Fiction on the site
- Host community-building events (like DDO Jeopardy!)
- Work to expand the resources available to new users to help them learn how to debate and to help acclimate them to the site (including a comprehensive "how-to" guide for debating and mentoring opportunities)

Site Improvements

These planks require Juggle's cooperation--if they are willing to work with us, then we can try to implement a few of these ideas. Given that Juggle has recently been working on the site, I think there is a better chance than previously that they will be willing to make some updates. That being said, there is no guarantee that they will be willing to work with us, and even if they are, only a few of these proposals will likely be realized. When/if the time comes, we'll work with the community to determine which possible updates to prioritize with Juggle.

PM Issues

- Allow original senders of PMs to add or delete recipients of PMs after PMs have been sent
- Allow people to sort PMs into folders, as with emails
- An optional ability to "preview" PMs before sending them, as with debate arguments and forum posts
- Allow users to restrict the size (in terms of number of recipients) of PMs sent to them--i.e. to ban, for instance, PMs containing more than 20 recipients to be delivered to them (this would prevent annoying mass-messages)
- To allow original senders of PMs to make no-reply PMs (useful for mafia announcement threads)

Formatting Issues

- Fix the word-to-DDO formatting errors that occur when a person C/P's something from a word document onto DDO
- Allow images and gifs to be embedded in posts, not just in PMs and debates
- Allow the use of words with accents on DDO

Forum-Specific Issues

- Like twitter, allow people to send notifications to others using the @ sign. So, by me typing @YYW in a post, you get an notification directing you to that post.
- Expand the blocking feature to allow users to restrict who can directly reply to their forum posts
- Allow the creation of invite-only forum threads, that can have between 5-25 invited participants (esp. useful for mafia, I think)
- Create a feature that isolates posts made by specific users on threads (esp. useful for mafia, too)

Debate- and Voting-Specific Issues

- Having 4, 5, and 7 day options for the amount of time allowed to post an argument
- Allow people to restrict acceptance eligibility by ELO, not just number of debates or age
- Having "judge nomination" reminders remain at the top of your notification panel just like other "action items" (e.g. arguments due, friend requests)
- Increase RFD space to 5,000 characters, instead of just 1,000
- Substantially reduce or eliminate the instigator advantage in ELO calculations
- Increase the number of possible judges in a judge-nomination debate to 15 from 10
- Create a system to have team debates, where team sizes can be 2, 3, or 4
- Mandate that the 3-debate eligibility requirement for voting on debates not include debates with a majority of forfeits or debates shorter than 3 rounds
- Change the formula for which debates get to the front page by making the like/dislike feature worth 30% of the score, and number of comments 70%
- An automated tournament bracket system
- Add an optional feature allowing instigators to preset debates to convert into an auto-win for the non-forfeiter when a debate is forfeited by one person 2 or more times
- Have all debates with 3 or more rounds forfeited by both debaters automatically deleted
- Have an optional feature allowing debates to be set such that if a debate is unvoted when the voting period runs out, the voting period gets a one-time 3-day extension in order to help reduce numbers of unvoted debates
- Implement a system that significantly reduces or eliminates ELO earned by experienced members who beat noobs

Profile-Specific Issues

- Update the Big Issues section of the profile and the Profile Options (e.g. presidential picks)
- Globalize the Big Issues and the Profile Options
- Make the DDO Blog something that is run more by the usership
- Allow users to customize the background of their profile pages
- Give users more character space in their profile summaries

Miscellaneous Issues

- New categories for the polls, opinions, and debates sections (e.g. history)
- Allowing notification--not just email--updates when stuff happens to/on favorited items
- Adding like/dislike features for comments, threads, posts, opinions, and polls
- Automatically remove users who have not logged in for 2 years or more from all ELO leaderboards
- More anti-spam features (e.g. CAPTCHAs)
- Fix the Polls Filter
- Fix the Recent Bugs (e.g. the album-veiwing bug)
- Fix Chronic Bugs (e.g. the he glitch that causes offline members to appear online until they have been logged off for over 4 hours)
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 5:30:15 PM
Feel free to ask any questions, and I, Zaradi, or BV will attempt to answer them as best we can. Thanks, and, again, we hope to earn your votes!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 5:41:01 PM
So basically over 50% of your platform relies upon the assumption that Juggle gives a crap about DDO.
If Juggle were to comply with most of this, you'd be the best President in DDO History. But Juggle probably won't do most of this.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 5:48:01 PM
At 5/16/2015 5:41:01 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
So basically over 50% of your platform relies upon the assumption that Juggle gives a crap about DDO.
If Juggle were to comply with most of this, you'd be the best President in DDO History. But Juggle probably won't do most of this.

Which is why we made multiple notes in the very front of our platform that our primary focus will be on community building and the things that we can impliment and work on without Juggle involvement. The rest of the improvements are things that, provided Juggle is willing to work with our administration, that we would like to impliment. And given that Juggle is already working on the site via the mobile updates, I don't think it's that far-fetched of an idea for Juggle to be involved.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 5:52:06 PM
At 5/16/2015 5:48:01 PM, Zaradi wrote:

Which is why we made multiple notes in the very front of our platform that our primary focus will be on community building and the things that we can impliment and work on without Juggle involvement. The rest of the improvements are things that, provided Juggle is willing to work with our administration, that we would like to impliment. And given that Juggle is already working on the site via the mobile updates, I don't think it's that far-fetched of an idea for Juggle to be involved.

I'm sorry, but the idea of Juggle being helpful is a little difficult for me to believe. That's why I built my entire platform on things that can be done without Juggle.

The DDO Blog:

Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 5:53:47 PM
At 5/16/2015 5:52:06 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

I'm sorry, but the idea of Juggle being helpful is a little difficult for me to believe. That's why I built my entire platform on things that can be done without Juggle.

I'm sorry that it's hard for you to believe, but it's something that's already happening right now since they're working on changing/renovating the mobile aspect of this site. With time and persistence, maybe we can see a site update.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 5:56:01 PM
At 5/16/2015 5:29:26 PM, bsh1 wrote:
INTRO

Compared to the other candidates so far, you're probably going to win regardless of platform.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 6:02:57 PM
At 5/16/2015 5:56:01 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
INTRO

Compared to the other candidates so far, you're probably going to win regardless of platform.

)^:
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 6:03:59 PM
At 5/16/2015 6:02:57 PM, SeventhProfessor wrote:
INTRO

)^:

Sorry, Airmax said so when I said I was going to run.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 6:15:30 PM
- Allow users to restrict the size (in terms of number of recipients) of PMs sent to them--i.e. to ban, for instance, PMs containing more than 20 recipients to be delivered to them (this would prevent annoying mass-messages)

I don't support this.

- To allow original senders of PMs to make no-reply PMs (useful for mafia announcement threads)

This could offset the above. The only grievance I ever have with large PMs is people spamming it when the original sender told people not to post.

- Expand the blocking feature to allow users to restrict who can directly reply to their forum posts

No. If something is that serious, Max can assess it and see whether or not a restraining order is warranted.

- Allow the creation of invite-only forum threads, that can have between 5-25 invited participants (esp. useful for mafia, I think)

I think people would abuse that.

Eh.

Miscellaneous Issues

- Adding like/dislike features for comments, threads, posts, opinions, and polls

Ehhhhh.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 6:54:18 PM
At 5/16/2015 5:36:20 PM, 1Historygenius wrote:
I like it!

Thanks!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 6:58:48 PM
I like everything that has been proposed here. That being said, this is extremely ambitious - how much do you think you can get done in a standard six-month term?
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 7:01:04 PM

You're confusing volume with emphasis. Sure, most of the things on our platform rely on Juggle's cooperation. That being said, we're going to focus on the community-building elements of our platform as being the most important and feasible.

Besides, a direct comparison between our community-building sub-platform and your whole platform yields some significant tidbits: you don't make any provisions to assist new users, we do; you don't discuss any measures to generate meaningful and intellectual discussion on DDO, we do; you don't mention anything regarding fan fiction, we do; and you don't mention any ideas to recognize good users, we do. Plus, the "ministries" idea you propose and the multis for Presidents seem wholly unnecessary. Our site blog idea also pretty much cancels out your idea of a weekly site newspaper, which leaves your platform with running "annoying" users of the site (that is risky because "annoying" is subjective) and implementing an impeachment system (which isn't really a top priority).

That is my analysis of the platform comparison, but, ultimately, the choice lies with the voters. I trust them to compare both platforms and cast an informed voted that reflects their interests.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 7:05:17 PM
At 5/16/2015 6:15:30 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

I don't support this.

Why not?

This could offset the above. The only grievance I ever have with large PMs is people spamming it when the original sender told people not to post.

Perhaps, but if the sender sent out a mass-PM and didn't make it no-reply, then the problem persists.

No. If something is that serious, Max can assess it and see whether or not a restraining order is warranted.

I think that Max is often reluctant to issues restraining orders. I don't really see a difference between this feature and, say, not allowing people to PM me or post on my profile. It's just one more way to minimize contact with otherwise harmful users. It's also potentially conflict-minimizing, because it would become harder to initiate a flamewar.

I think people would abuse that.

How so?

Eh.

Lol. I don't really see any harm in this, and if even one or two users would enjoy it, I don't see why it shouldn't be an option.

Miscellaneous Issues

Ehhhhh.

Why the skepticism?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 7:06:04 PM
At 5/16/2015 6:33:50 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

If you can implement even a few of these, that would be amazing.

Yeah...It would. I hope Juggle is willing to work with me to get a few done.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 7:08:42 PM
At 5/16/2015 6:58:48 PM, TN05 wrote:
I like everything that has been proposed here. That being said, this is extremely ambitious - how much do you think you can get done in a standard six-month term?

I don't honestly think that I can get too much done. I think there is a chance I could get one or two points of the site improvements implemented, but, given Juggle's history on intransigence, the focus of the Bsh/Zaradi/BV administration would be on the community-building aspects of our platform.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 7:09:20 PM
At 5/16/2015 6:03:59 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
INTRO

)^:

"Bossy has all the qualities I find ideal in a DDO president"
~airmax1227
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 7:09:55 PM
At 5/16/2015 7:08:42 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 5/16/2015 6:58:48 PM, TN05 wrote:

I don't honestly think that I can get too much done. I think there is a chance I could get one or two points of the site improvements implemented, but, given Juggle's history on intransigence, the focus of the Bsh/Zaradi/BV administration would be on the community-building aspects of our platform.

I can respect that. Ultimately after the Mikal debacle, I'd be satisfied just with having someone competent in charge. :P
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 7:12:53 PM
Sounds cool. For the elo noob reduction, would stats from higher level people be buffed at the same time, or no

Only thing which I am skeptical about is the instigator thing. If you're not a coward and post first and let your opponent end, that is a disadvantage XD. People have found work arounds, with the contender posting first, but that is unfair to people who don't chicken out.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 7:18:58 PM
At 5/16/2015 7:12:53 PM, 16kadams wrote:
Sounds cool. For the elo noob reduction, would stats from higher level people be buffed at the same time, or no

To be honest, I am not sure. I think it's a bit unfair and retroactively mess with people's ELOs, but I can also see a case for the opposite position. If Juggle was willing to do this, I would try to solicit input from the community to see whether it should be applied retroactively or not.

Only thing which I am skeptical about is the instigator thing. If you're not a coward and post first and let your opponent end, that is a disadvantage XD. People have found work arounds, with the contender posting first, but that is unfair to people who don't chicken out.

I have two problems with the instigator advantage. Firstly, there are some very obvious workarounds that are becoming more and more common. Secondly, it contributes to the problem of ELO inflation, which I discussed in a thread a few days/weeks ago.

Ultimately, the posting order isn't really a disadvantage. Being able to pot first gives you a chance to frame the parameters or direction of the discussion. That is even out by the last speaker's ability to have the last word. Plus, both sides have the same amount of space to make their cases.

Really, the only reason to retain the instigator advantage, IMO, is because, if I post my case in R1, then any contender has already seen my case before they accept, giving them extra time to prepare for it. But, since almost no one actually posts their case in the first half of R1, this isn't a compelling reason to retain the advantage.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 7:23:03 PM
At 5/16/2015 7:01:04 PM, bsh1 wrote:

You're confusing volume with emphasis. Sure, most of the things on our platform rely on Juggle's cooperation. That being said, we're going to focus on the community-building elements of our platform as being the most important and feasible.

Besides, a direct comparison between our community-building sub-platform and your whole platform yields some significant tidbits: you don't make any provisions to assist new users, we do; you don't discuss any measures to generate meaningful and intellectual discussion on DDO, we do; you don't mention anything regarding fan fiction, we do; and you don't mention any ideas to recognize good users, we do. Plus, the "ministries" idea you propose and the multis for Presidents seem wholly unnecessary. Our site blog idea also pretty much cancels out your idea of a weekly site newspaper, which leaves your platform with running "annoying" users of the site (that is risky because "annoying" is subjective) and implementing an impeachment system (which isn't really a top priority).

That is my analysis of the platform comparison, but, ultimately, the choice lies with the voters. I trust them to compare both platforms and cast an informed voted that reflects their interests.

Actually, I had a whole lot of your "community-building" platform in mind when I inserted "ministry expansion".

The DDO Blog:

SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 7:27:31 PM
At 5/16/2015 7:09:20 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 5/16/2015 6:03:59 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
INTRO

)^:

"Bossy has all the qualities I find ideal in a DDO president"
~airmax1227

"Bossy is a good, civil member, and I have no problem with him being President"
~airmax1227
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 7:28:28 PM
At 5/16/2015 7:23:03 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Actually, I had a whole lot of your "community-building" platform in mind when I inserted "ministry expansion".

The whole idea of ministries is just unnecessary. It adds an excessive layer of bureaucracy to something that doesn't require it. Sure, collecting volunteers to tackle projects is good, but it is better on an ad hoc basis, largely because interest in programs tends to fizzle out. Not only is it unnecessarily formal and complex as well as likely to fail in the long-run, but it's incredibly vague.

The very fact that you don't bother to explain what your ministries are going to be doing underscores a key flaw in your platform: it lacks any kind of specificity. Voters don't actually know what you plan on doing with the centralized ministries.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Daltonian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 7:29:24 PM
- Host community-building events (like DDO Jeopardy!)
Yes!
Site Improvements

These planks require Juggle's cooperation
So everyone who was complaining about this sees it because it's apparent they didn't read it, lol.. how much emphasis will you place on trying to get Juggle to cooperate and how do you plan on getting in touch with them?

Forum-Specific Issues

- Like twitter, allow people to send notifications to others using the @ sign. So, by me typing @YYW in a post, you get an notification directing you to that post.
I think this could be abused. there's a famous post somewhere where Danielle demonstrates why.. would it be one notification per one post, I hope? So, no @bsh1@bsh1@bsh1@bsh1@bsh1@bsh1@bsh1@bsh1@bsh1@bsh1@bsh1@bsh1 business would be happening?
Meeeeh. I think this maybe should only be granted at Airmax's discretion. This seems prone to bullying and use for ostracizing.
See above. I think it'd be cool for mafia, but I also like to reread mafia games :'(
- Create a feature that isolates posts made by specific users on threads (esp. useful for mafia, too)
I usually just find that user and look through their recent forum posts, but it's difficult if they're also active on other forums. Good idea, idk how feasible it is though.

- Having 4, 5, and 7 day options for the amount of time allowed to post an argument
This is an important one.
- Increase RFD space to 5,000 characters, instead of just 1,000
Yes, this x100000.
- Create a system to have team debates, where team sizes can be 2, 3, or 4
I like this, I don't know how much priority it should have in the scale of necessary updates though.
- Mandate that the 3-debate eligibility requirement for voting on debates not include debates with a majority of forfeits or debates shorter than 3 rounds
This would be nice if Juggle was feeling supercooperative, but I do like our voting moderation and like the last one, I don't know how much priority it should receive.
Miscellaneous Issues

- Allowing notification--not just email--updates when stuff happens to/on favorited items
Yeah. Good idea. I don't read through my e-mails very often, and this would be useful.
Meeeh.
- Automatically remove users who have not logged in for 2 years or more from all ELO leaderboards
Why?
- More anti-spam features (e.g. CAPTCHAs)
I remember when I tried to join this site a while back the CAPTCHA didn't work, then I went through Google instead.
- Fix Chronic Bugs (e.g. the he glitch that causes offline members to appear online until they have been logged off for over 4 hours)
I actually don't like this feature, so I wouldn't really want the glitch to be fixed. It'd ruin aspects of mafia (i.e analyzing who was online when to determine things like mafia actions, or pressuring me to post when I'm busy/don't have the time or motivation because my status says I'm online). And though this might seem bad to some people, it pressures you to respond to all PMs sent or notifications received because people can view that you're online. And it isn't remedied by just setting it to "offline", because the default setting is to "when last online", so people can see that I've intentionally set myself to being "offline".

I'd like to see it simplified to "online/offline", with an opt-in feature for the "when last online" part, and the user being able to toggle whether they're offline or online.

Maybe make the whole feature optional somehow, like with displaying your name or birthdate? It doesn't matter all that much though lol.
F _ C K
All I need is "u", baby
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 7:29:28 PM
At 5/16/2015 7:01:04 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Also, the multi thing actually would be useful. It'd allow the President to assume whatever identity needed to most effectively deal with certain users. It'd essentially leave the removal of toxic users a job up to the DDO President. The question of who comprises a "toxic" user would be determined using certain guidelines. One "ministry" that I had in mind is the "Toxic and At-Risk User Watch Service". That is, it'd monitor user activity and detect users who fall under the "toxic" and/or "at risk" (that is, unstable users with a high likelihood of committing a TOS violation or falling within the Toxic category) category and file a comprehensive report to the DDO President, who would then engage in action to try to get that user off DDO or reform their behavior.

The DDO Blog:

16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 7:30:33 PM
At 5/16/2015 7:18:58 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 5/16/2015 7:12:53 PM, 16kadams wrote:

To be honest, I am not sure. I think it's a bit unfair and retroactively mess with people's ELOs, but I can also see a case for the opposite position. If Juggle was willing to do this, I would try to solicit input from the community to see whether it should be applied retroactively or not.

I dunno. I would say yes. Partially because the system is super broken. I get the same amount of elo when I beat a noob as when I beat Mikal, Roy, or Danielle.

I have two problems with the instigator advantage. Firstly, there are some very obvious workarounds that are becoming more and more common. Secondly, it contributes to the problem of ELO inflation, which I discussed in a thread a few days/weeks ago.

I agree with the first part, but I don't do the workaround. If there was a way that whoever posts first gets point yeah. But I don't see an algorithm being able to distinguish a structure as opposed to an argument. When it was implemented it made sense (and I loved it cause 54% of my debates were instigated, lol, probably less now though).

Ultimately, the posting order isn't really a disadvantage. Being able to pot first gives you a chance to frame the parameters or direction of the discussion. That is even out by the last speaker's ability to have the last word. Plus, both sides have the same amount of space to make their cases.

Yeah but contenders change the framework if they want. I am usually dumb though and don't notice XD

Speaking last has an advantage no matter what. Equal space is good and all, but there is a reason defense attorneys go last: we want innocents to be found innocent, so we need to give as much leverage to them as possible.
*waits for blue to say I am a dumbfvck and that's not the reason*

Really, the only reason to retain the instigator advantage, IMO, is because, if I post my case in R1, then any contender has already seen my case before they accept, giving them extra time to prepare for it. But, since almost no one actually posts their case in the first half of R1, this isn't a compelling reason to retain the advantage.

I know contradiction liked to do it. The speaking last is enough to justify some advantage, even if it was only 5 elo points.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 7:31:08 PM
At 5/16/2015 7:28:28 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 5/16/2015 7:23:03 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

The whole idea of ministries is just unnecessary. It adds an excessive layer of bureaucracy to something that doesn't require it. Sure, collecting volunteers to tackle projects is good, but it is better on an ad hoc basis, largely because interest in programs tends to fizzle out. Not only is it unnecessarily formal and complex as well as likely to fail in the long-run, but it's incredibly vague.

The very fact that you don't bother to explain what your ministries are going to be doing underscores a key flaw in your platform: it lacks any kind of specificity. Voters don't actually know what you plan on doing with the centralized ministries.

I think up a lot of it as I'm going along. To constantly make new threads for updates would really annoy people, and posting updates in one thread would not be seen.

The DDO Blog:

SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 7:32:23 PM
- Work to promote the Fan Fiction on the site

How would you go about doing this? As in, moving the sticky in the Entertainment section to the DDO section, or something else entirely?
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

~mysteriouscrystals

~F-16