Total Posts:40|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

I have no words to say...

Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,065
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 7:30:37 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/19/2015 7:23:14 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
http://www.songlyrics.com...

...

I highly doubt that he's blaming solely rap music. Rather, he's probably listing it as one cause.
I disagree, though; rap music with depraved lyrics is a symptom, not the larger problem.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
tajshar2k
Posts: 2,376
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 7:32:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/19/2015 7:30:37 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 5/19/2015 7:23:14 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
http://www.songlyrics.com...

...

I highly doubt that he's blaming solely rap music. Rather, he's probably listing it as one cause.
I disagree, though; rap music with depraved lyrics is a symptom, not the larger problem.

Ya but rap... Out of all things...
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
Zaradi
Posts: 14,124
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 7:46:32 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I love how the article is bashing Fox News for being retarted when it then goes on to try and draw his words into him saying this:

"The talk show host went on to explain it "often glorifies depraved behavior, and that sinks into the minds of some young people, the group that is most likely to reject religion."

In other words O"Reilly is blaming black people, for everything.


In other words, they took O'Reilly's words and try to implicate him for being racist and, as a result, sounded like a racist a**hole xDDDD
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
lamerde
Posts: 1,416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 7:59:34 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/19/2015 7:46:32 PM, Zaradi wrote:
I love how the article is bashing Fox News for being retarted when it then goes on to try and draw his words into him saying this:

"The talk show host went on to explain it "often glorifies depraved behavior, and that sinks into the minds of some young people, the group that is most likely to reject religion."

In other words O"Reilly is blaming black people, for everything.


In other words, they took O'Reilly's words and try to implicate him for being racist and, as a result, sounded like a racist a**hole xDDDD

But he kind of is being racist. Who mostly listens to rap music? Black people. And yet he is blaming rap music for declining rates of Christianity, despite the fact that Black people are more likely to be religious (and Christian) than whites.

24% of whites identify as nonreligious compared with 18% of blacks.

http://www.pewforum.org...

83% of Blacks in the US identify as Christian:
http://blackdemographics.com....

Is he suggesting white kids are listening to rap music more than black kids? That's probably false. It's racist that he's blaming black music for white nonchristianity.
Why I ignore YYW:
http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Calling someone a bitch multiple times while claiming you're taking the high road is an art form, I suppose: http://www.debate.org...
Zaradi
Posts: 14,124
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 8:00:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/19/2015 7:59:34 PM, lamerde wrote:
At 5/19/2015 7:46:32 PM, Zaradi wrote:
I love how the article is bashing Fox News for being retarted when it then goes on to try and draw his words into him saying this:

"The talk show host went on to explain it "often glorifies depraved behavior, and that sinks into the minds of some young people, the group that is most likely to reject religion."

In other words O"Reilly is blaming black people, for everything.


In other words, they took O'Reilly's words and try to implicate him for being racist and, as a result, sounded like a racist a**hole xDDDD

But he kind of is being racist.

Thats....what I said?
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
daytonanerd
Posts: 6,769
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 8:02:03 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/19/2015 7:46:32 PM, Zaradi wrote:
I love how the article is bashing Fox News for being retarted when it then goes on to try and draw his words into him saying this:

"The talk show host went on to explain it "often glorifies depraved behavior, and that sinks into the minds of some young people, the group that is most likely to reject religion."

In other words O"Reilly is blaming black people, for everything.


In other words, they took O'Reilly's words and try to implicate him for being racist and, as a result, sounded like a racist a**hole xDDDD

Well, in their defense, Bill O'Reilly is kind of an @sshole.

By kind of an @sshole, I mean the kind of @sshole that came off of an anal porn set. He's that big of an @sshole.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
lamerde
Posts: 1,416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 8:02:21 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/19/2015 8:00:33 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 5/19/2015 7:59:34 PM, lamerde wrote:
At 5/19/2015 7:46:32 PM, Zaradi wrote:
I love how the article is bashing Fox News for being retarted when it then goes on to try and draw his words into him saying this:

"The talk show host went on to explain it "often glorifies depraved behavior, and that sinks into the minds of some young people, the group that is most likely to reject religion."

In other words O"Reilly is blaming black people, for everything.


In other words, they took O'Reilly's words and try to implicate him for being racist and, as a result, sounded like a racist a**hole xDDDD

But he kind of is being racist.

Thats....what I said?

It sounded like you were bashing the article for making O'Reilly's words seem racist when they're not...?
Why I ignore YYW:
http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Calling someone a bitch multiple times while claiming you're taking the high road is an art form, I suppose: http://www.debate.org...
ShabShoral
Posts: 3,222
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 8:05:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
That article offered literally no arguments.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,065
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 8:18:15 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Condemning rap music is not necessarily racist, though. I mean, condemning human sacrifice is not racist towards Aztecs.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
lamerde
Posts: 1,416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 8:24:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/19/2015 8:18:15 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Condemning rap music is not necessarily racist, though. I mean, condemning human sacrifice is not racist towards Aztecs.

He's not condemning rap music, he's blaming it for the decline in Christianity/religiosity. Black people are historically the majority makers and consumers of rap music and have some of the highest rates of religiosity. There is a stronger link between education and atheism but somehow rap music is to blame.
Why I ignore YYW:
http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Calling someone a bitch multiple times while claiming you're taking the high road is an art form, I suppose: http://www.debate.org...
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 8:26:10 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Bill O'Reilly doesn't understand rap music, young people, or Christianity. Regardless, I don't care why Christianity is declining, so long as it's declining.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 8:29:35 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/19/2015 8:18:15 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Condemning rap music is not necessarily racist, though. I mean, condemning human sacrifice is not racist towards Aztecs.

For that analogy to work "rap music" would have to be a bad thing wholesale. It isn't. So that analogy is bad.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,065
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 8:30:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/19/2015 8:24:33 PM, lamerde wrote:
At 5/19/2015 8:18:15 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Condemning rap music is not necessarily racist, though. I mean, condemning human sacrifice is not racist towards Aztecs.

He's not condemning rap music, he's blaming it for the decline in Christianity/religiosity. Black people are historically the majority makers and consumers of rap music and have some of the highest rates of religiosity. There is a stronger link between education and atheism but somehow rap music is to blame.

Since he views Rap Music as undermining Christianity, then he's condemning it.
Rap Music typically is quite obscene, so it's natural that an Evangelical Christian would hate it.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
lamerde
Posts: 1,416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 8:32:06 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/19/2015 8:30:46 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Since he views Rap Music as undermining Christianity, then he's condemning it.
Rap Music typically is quite obscene, so it's natural that an Evangelical Christian would hate it.

What I meant is that he's not simply condemning rap music. What's racist is not the fact that he's condemning it - it's the fact he's blaming it for the decline in Christianity/religiosity.
Why I ignore YYW:
http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Calling someone a bitch multiple times while claiming you're taking the high road is an art form, I suppose: http://www.debate.org...
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 8:34:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I feel this is the music counterpart of the Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis. It's likely confusing cause and effect. Decline in religion leads to non-religious music, rather than the other way around.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
lamerde
Posts: 1,416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 8:34:57 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/19/2015 8:32:06 PM, lamerde wrote:
At 5/19/2015 8:30:46 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Since he views Rap Music as undermining Christianity, then he's condemning it.
Rap Music typically is quite obscene, so it's natural that an Evangelical Christian would hate it.

What I meant is that he's not simply condemning rap music. What's racist is not the fact that he's condemning it - it's the fact he's blaming it for the decline in Christianity/religiosity.

Essentially, he's blaming black people for what he views as a societal ill, despite there being no actual link to support what he's saying. He's finding a way to blame black people for an issue that does not concern them (declining rates of Christianity/religiosity). It would be like blaming country music for alcoholism in the black population.
Why I ignore YYW:
http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Calling someone a bitch multiple times while claiming you're taking the high road is an art form, I suppose: http://www.debate.org...
Varrack
Posts: 2,410
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 8:47:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/19/2015 7:23:14 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
http://www.songlyrics.com...

...

I don't really see the link between music and religion, besides rap being dirty a lot of the time and Christians tending to not be into that sort of stuff...the connection is still pretty vague though.

The hilarious part is the obvious author's bias about Fox News: "In other words O"Reilly is blaming black people, for everything." How on earth can you condemn O'Reily for overgeneralizing and then overgeneralize yourself? That's quite hypocritical to say at the least, not to mention putting words in his mouth.
Varrack
Posts: 2,410
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 8:48:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/19/2015 8:34:57 PM, lamerde wrote:
At 5/19/2015 8:32:06 PM, lamerde wrote:
At 5/19/2015 8:30:46 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Since he views Rap Music as undermining Christianity, then he's condemning it.
Rap Music typically is quite obscene, so it's natural that an Evangelical Christian would hate it.

What I meant is that he's not simply condemning rap music. What's racist is not the fact that he's condemning it - it's the fact he's blaming it for the decline in Christianity/religiosity.

Essentially, he's blaming black people for what he views as a societal ill, despite there being no actual link to support what he's saying. He's finding a way to blame black people for an issue that does not concern them (declining rates of Christianity/religiosity). It would be like blaming country music for alcoholism in the black population.

What do black people have to do with anything? There are white rappers too.
tajshar2k
Posts: 2,376
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 8:49:22 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/19/2015 8:47:09 PM, Varrack wrote:
At 5/19/2015 7:23:14 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
http://www.songlyrics.com...

...

I don't really see the link between music and religion, besides rap being dirty a lot of the time and Christians tending to not be into that sort of stuff...the connection is still pretty vague though.

The hilarious part is the obvious author's bias about Fox News: "In other words O"Reilly is blaming black people, for everything." How on earth can you condemn O'Reily for overgeneralizing and then overgeneralize yourself? That's quite hypocritical to say at the least, not to mention putting words in his mouth.

Ya, but its pretty obvious He doesn't like black people. (judging from his other mishaps)
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 8:55:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/19/2015 8:48:07 PM, Varrack wrote:
At 5/19/2015 8:34:57 PM, lamerde wrote:
At 5/19/2015 8:32:06 PM, lamerde wrote:
At 5/19/2015 8:30:46 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Since he views Rap Music as undermining Christianity, then he's condemning it.
Rap Music typically is quite obscene, so it's natural that an Evangelical Christian would hate it.

What I meant is that he's not simply condemning rap music. What's racist is not the fact that he's condemning it - it's the fact he's blaming it for the decline in Christianity/religiosity.

Essentially, he's blaming black people for what he views as a societal ill, despite there being no actual link to support what he's saying. He's finding a way to blame black people for an issue that does not concern them (declining rates of Christianity/religiosity). It would be like blaming country music for alcoholism in the black population.

What do black people have to do with anything? There are white rappers too.

Rap was created and stems from the black (and puerto rican) experience. That there are white rappers doesn't negate this fact. Rap is a part of black american culture.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 9:10:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Wow people. Blaming rap for the decline of Christianity isn't racist, it is just stupid. People don't seem to understand what racism is. Putting blame on something that could have a statistical race correlation is not racist. For example, college sports and grades. Some may argue that college sports negatively Impact grades, and I'll bet the racial makeup of athletes doesn't exactly match the academic population, but that doesn't make the arguments racist.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
ShabShoral
Posts: 3,222
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 9:23:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/19/2015 8:32:06 PM, lamerde wrote:
At 5/19/2015 8:30:46 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Since he views Rap Music as undermining Christianity, then he's condemning it.
Rap Music typically is quite obscene, so it's natural that an Evangelical Christian would hate it.

What I meant is that he's not simply condemning rap music. What's racist is not the fact that he's condemning it - it's the fact he's blaming it for the decline in Christianity/religiosity.

How, exactly, is criticizing "rap music" the same as criticizing a race even if that race is the biggest group of consumers of said music? He's still blaming rap music itself, I. A vacuum, not blacks.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty
lamerde
Posts: 1,416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 9:34:23 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/19/2015 9:23:09 PM, ShabShoral wrote:
At 5/19/2015 8:32:06 PM, lamerde wrote:
At 5/19/2015 8:30:46 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Since he views Rap Music as undermining Christianity, then he's condemning it.
Rap Music typically is quite obscene, so it's natural that an Evangelical Christian would hate it.

What I meant is that he's not simply condemning rap music. What's racist is not the fact that he's condemning it - it's the fact he's blaming it for the decline in Christianity/religiosity.

How, exactly, is criticizing "rap music" the same as criticizing a race even if that race is the biggest group of consumers of said music? He's still blaming rap music itself, I. A vacuum, not blacks.

1. Blacks are the biggest providers of rap music.
2. Blacks are the largest demographic of rap music listeners.
3. Blacks have some of the highest rates of Christianity and religiosity when compared to other races.

Bill O'Reilly blames rap music (i.e., black music) for the decline in Christianity/religiosity... the decline is among white Americans. If rap music truly caused people to stop identifying with Christianity, wouldn't you find the lowest rates in the black population? How is it that black people can both have high rates of listening to rap music and high rates of Christianity/religiosity, if it is true that rap music should cause the opposite?

There have been proven links with higher education and declining religiosity. Higher quality of life and lower religiosity. But he chooses to blame rap music (ie., black music) for the decline, when there is likely no such correlation. You can pretend all you want that there is no racial element to it, but we all know Bill O'Reilly.
Why I ignore YYW:
http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Calling someone a bitch multiple times while claiming you're taking the high road is an art form, I suppose: http://www.debate.org...
ShabShoral
Posts: 3,222
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 9:38:02 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/19/2015 9:34:23 PM, lamerde wrote:
At 5/19/2015 9:23:09 PM, ShabShoral wrote:
At 5/19/2015 8:32:06 PM, lamerde wrote:
At 5/19/2015 8:30:46 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Since he views Rap Music as undermining Christianity, then he's condemning it.
Rap Music typically is quite obscene, so it's natural that an Evangelical Christian would hate it.

What I meant is that he's not simply condemning rap music. What's racist is not the fact that he's condemning it - it's the fact he's blaming it for the decline in Christianity/religiosity.

How, exactly, is criticizing "rap music" the same as criticizing a race even if that race is the biggest group of consumers of said music? He's still blaming rap music itself, I. A vacuum, not blacks.

1. Blacks are the biggest providers of rap music.
2. Blacks are the largest demographic of rap music listeners.
3. Blacks have some of the highest rates of Christianity and religiosity when compared to other races.

Bill O'Reilly blames rap music (i.e., black music) for the decline in Christianity/religiosity... the decline is among white Americans. If rap music truly caused people to stop identifying with Christianity, wouldn't you find the lowest rates in the black population? How is it that black people can both have high rates of listening to rap music and high rates of Christianity/religiosity, if it is true that rap music should cause the opposite?

There have been proven links with higher education and declining religiosity. Higher quality of life and lower religiosity. But he chooses to blame rap music (ie., black music) for the decline, when there is likely no such correlation. You can pretend all you want that there is no racial element to it, but we all know Bill O'Reilly.

Those are arguments against his position, sure, but they don't prove that his statement, in itself, is racist.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty
lamerde
Posts: 1,416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 9:49:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/19/2015 9:38:02 PM, ShabShoral wrote:

Those are arguments against his position, sure, but they don't prove that his statement, in itself, is racist.

You have to ask yourself why he's so eager to and intent on blaming black people for what he views as a societal ill when it's so easily demonstrably false. He's obviously not saying it for the truth value. If he were the slightest bit interested in truth that would not be an argument to make at all. So why would he make the argument? For shock value? He's well aware that his racist opinions are what feed his family.
Why I ignore YYW:
http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Calling someone a bitch multiple times while claiming you're taking the high road is an art form, I suppose: http://www.debate.org...
ShabShoral
Posts: 3,222
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 9:51:15 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/19/2015 9:49:00 PM, lamerde wrote:
At 5/19/2015 9:38:02 PM, ShabShoral wrote:

Those are arguments against his position, sure, but they don't prove that his statement, in itself, is racist.

You have to ask yourself why he's so eager to and intent on blaming black people for what he views as a societal ill when it's so easily demonstrably false. He's obviously not saying it for the truth value. If he were the slightest bit interested in truth that would not be an argument to make at all. So why would he make the argument? For shock value? He's well aware that his racist opinions are what feed his family.

Complete and utter speculation.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty