Total Posts:4|Showing Posts:1-4
Jump to topic:

WODC Update

larztheloser
Posts: 857
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2015 10:49:23 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
We are now only 11 days away from the most awesome online debate tournament of the year. 12 brave souls have entered already, 9 of whom are representing debate.org. That's pretty good considering the WODC only had 13 entrants at the beginning of last year's tournament, so we're only one short. It also means that with the new break system, we will have octo-finals! (as long as nobody drops out haha)

This weekend: important notice!
This weekend the topic selection system will be tested. If you have entered before this weekend, you will get an email just like you would at the start of every round, asking you to pick a topic (the topics, of course, will not be real topics from the competition). The purpose of this is to:
1. Test the system and check that everybody can get emails etc
2. Give everybody a chance to practice using the new topic selection system
Although you will be drawn against an "opponent", obviously the debate won't go ahead... it's just a test. The "testing" nature of this event will also be noted in all alerts you receive in relation to it etc. Taking part is completely voluntary. Remember, you have to be signed up by this weekend to have a chance to practice using the topic selection page! It's extremely easy but you may want to have a look and ask questions if something confuses you there.

Please enter!
The WODC is an awesome tournament well worth participating in. This year will feature awesome topics, power pairing and more. If you've been to a real-life tournament before, the WODC is like that... and if you haven't, join to see what amazingness you're missing out on. Other online debate tournaments around the place may be fun, but nothing compares to the WODC. See the website for more details, the sign-up form, and important information: http://www.edeb8.com...

Sign Up Issues?
A few people have emailed me regarding sign-up emails not getting through. If this happens, it's imperative that you contact me asap. You can use the contact form on the official website, and it'll get straight through to me.

Webpage Updates
The official website at http://www.edeb8.com... now has a list of entrants that can be viewed. Each entrant also has a link to their profile on whatever site they entered on. Here are some quick facts on the entrants so far this year:

Edeb8 average experience: 15 debates
Edeb8 normalized average win rate: 49%
Edeb8 average Elo score: 1518 (whole site average is 1500)

DDO average experience: 66 debates
DDO normalized average win rate: 80%
DDO average "Elo" score: 3488 (note: uses different formula from edeb8)

As you can see, the calibre of competition looks to be fairly high... but don't be intimidated. Remember that with power pairing, you're still certain to be drawn against the opponents most suited to your level, at least after the first round or two, so you can still have a fantastic tournament and gain heaps of experience!
lannan13
Posts: 23,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2015 10:53:49 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/20/2015 10:49:23 AM, larztheloser wrote:
We are now only 11 days away from the most awesome online debate tournament of the year. 12 brave souls have entered already, 9 of whom are representing debate.org. That's pretty good considering the WODC only had 13 entrants at the beginning of last year's tournament, so we're only one short. It also means that with the new break system, we will have octo-finals! (as long as nobody drops out haha)

This weekend: important notice!
This weekend the topic selection system will be tested. If you have entered before this weekend, you will get an email just like you would at the start of every round, asking you to pick a topic (the topics, of course, will not be real topics from the competition). The purpose of this is to:
1. Test the system and check that everybody can get emails etc
2. Give everybody a chance to practice using the new topic selection system
Although you will be drawn against an "opponent", obviously the debate won't go ahead... it's just a test. The "testing" nature of this event will also be noted in all alerts you receive in relation to it etc. Taking part is completely voluntary. Remember, you have to be signed up by this weekend to have a chance to practice using the topic selection page! It's extremely easy but you may want to have a look and ask questions if something confuses you there.

Please enter!
The WODC is an awesome tournament well worth participating in. This year will feature awesome topics, power pairing and more. If you've been to a real-life tournament before, the WODC is like that... and if you haven't, join to see what amazingness you're missing out on. Other online debate tournaments around the place may be fun, but nothing compares to the WODC. See the website for more details, the sign-up form, and important information: http://www.edeb8.com...

Sign Up Issues?
A few people have emailed me regarding sign-up emails not getting through. If this happens, it's imperative that you contact me asap. You can use the contact form on the official website, and it'll get straight through to me.

Webpage Updates
The official website at http://www.edeb8.com... now has a list of entrants that can be viewed. Each entrant also has a link to their profile on whatever site they entered on. Here are some quick facts on the entrants so far this year:

Edeb8 average experience: 15 debates
Edeb8 normalized average win rate: 49%
Edeb8 average Elo score: 1518 (whole site average is 1500)

DDO average experience: 66 debates
DDO normalized average win rate: 80%
DDO average "Elo" score: 3488 (note: uses different formula from edeb8)

As you can see, the calibre of competition looks to be fairly high... but don't be intimidated. Remember that with power pairing, you're still certain to be drawn against the opponents most suited to your level, at least after the first round or two, so you can still have a fantastic tournament and gain heaps of experience!

Do we need to have a certain number of stat on both sites or could we just sign up?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
larztheloser
Posts: 857
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2015 10:56:41 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/20/2015 10:53:49 AM, lannan13 wrote:

Do we need to have a certain number of stat on both sites or could we just sign up?

Anyone can just sign up. :)
lannan13
Posts: 23,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2015 11:00:21 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/20/2015 10:56:41 AM, larztheloser wrote:
At 5/20/2015 10:53:49 AM, lannan13 wrote:

Do we need to have a certain number of stat on both sites or could we just sign up?

Anyone can just sign up. :)

Cool, well then count me in.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~