Jump to topic:

Lighting Impromptu Debate

Strikeeagle84015
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2010 5:11:35 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I though up an excellent debate type lighting debate you have 1 hour to post your argument, you have the lowest possible number of characters available (I think 1000) and it only lasts, one round the problem is I can't come up with any good debate ideas anyone got some suggestions?
: At 8/17/2010 7:17:56 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
: Hey dawg, i herd you like evangelical trolls so we put a bible thumper in yo bible thumper so you can troll while you troll!

Arguing with an atheist about God is very similar to arguing with a blind man about what the Sistine Chapel looks like
Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
The only way I will stop believing in God is if he appeared before me and told me that he did not exist.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2010 5:13:28 PM
thats a huge advantage to the instigator isn't it? they could work on their round for a week before posting it whereas whoever accepts would be limited to an hour...
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2010 5:13:37 PM
Why only 1 round? Lol, that doesn't give the instigator the opportunity to refute the contender's points. Make it three rounds and it might be interesting.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2010 5:14:51 PM
At 8/8/2010 5:13:28 PM, belle wrote:
thats a huge advantage to the instigator isn't it? they could work on their round for a week before posting it whereas whoever accepts would be limited to an hour...

The character restraints even it out. Plus, you can read it and work on it before actually accepting. The contender's points will always go unrefuted, so I think it really works out much more in favor of the contender.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2010 5:15:16 PM
You can do 3 rounds 1/2 hour per round debates. Just make it on the Big Issues. One round debates are usually unbalanced.
Strikeeagle84015
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2010 5:15:53 PM
While the first time I try it I am going to make it impromptu I list three topics for my opponent to choose from and my opponent lists three options for me to choose from and then we have one round to give our arguments in (so it would by necessity be two rounds)
: Hey dawg, i herd you like evangelical trolls so we put a bible thumper in yo bible thumper so you can troll while you troll!

Arguing with an atheist about God is very similar to arguing with a blind man about what the Sistine Chapel looks like
Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
The only way I will stop believing in God is if he appeared before me and told me that he did not exist.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2010 5:17:38 PM
At 8/8/2010 5:14:51 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:

The character restraints even it out. Plus, you can read it and work on it before actually accepting. The contender's points will always go unrefuted, so I think it really works out much more in favor of the contender.

except that in an impromptu debate the two sides never respond to each other's rounds at all...
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2010 5:21:22 PM
At 8/8/2010 5:17:38 PM, belle wrote:
At 8/8/2010 5:14:51 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:

except that in an impromptu debate the two sides never respond to each other's rounds at all...

Wait, what?
Strikeeagle84015
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2010 5:40:35 PM
If anyone cares the debate is in challange period here
http://www.debate.org...

Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote