Total Posts:17|Showing Posts:1-17
Jump to topic:

Critical Thinking - Schedule

Freeman
Posts: 1,239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2010 9:27:10 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Announcement to students:

Introduction to critical thinking starts this Monday at 4:00 pm Pacific Time. I hope to see lots of you there.

Best,
Freeman
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
Freeman
Posts: 1,239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2010 9:28:54 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/8/2010 9:27:10 PM, Freeman wrote:
Announcement to students:

Introduction to critical thinking starts this Monday at 4:00 pm Pacific Time. I hope to see lots of you there.

Best,
Freeman

And since there is no "philosophy" forum, it will probably take place in the religion forum.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2010 10:19:44 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/8/2010 9:28:54 PM, Freeman wrote:
At 8/8/2010 9:27:10 PM, Freeman wrote:
Announcement to students:

Introduction to critical thinking starts this Monday at 4:00 pm Pacific Time. I hope to see lots of you there.

Best,
Freeman

And since there is no "philosophy" forum, it will probably take place in the religion forum.

oh the irony...
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Yvette
Posts: 859
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2010 10:30:20 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/8/2010 10:19:44 PM, belle wrote:
At 8/8/2010 9:28:54 PM, Freeman wrote:
At 8/8/2010 9:27:10 PM, Freeman wrote:
Announcement to students:

Introduction to critical thinking starts this Monday at 4:00 pm Pacific Time. I hope to see lots of you there.

Best,
Freeman

And since there is no "philosophy" forum, it will probably take place in the religion forum.

oh the irony...

Ahahahahaha
In the middle of moving to Washington. 8D

"If God does not exist, then chocolate causing cancer is only true for the society that has evidence for that." --GodSands
Yvette
Posts: 859
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2010 10:35:09 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/8/2010 10:32:48 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Hey, theists can think critically too. ;) At least some can...

Of course, no disagreement there. Religion itself, on the other hand...
In the middle of moving to Washington. 8D

"If God does not exist, then chocolate causing cancer is only true for the society that has evidence for that." --GodSands
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2010 12:07:47 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/8/2010 10:35:09 PM, Yvette wrote:
At 8/8/2010 10:32:48 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Hey, theists can think critically too. ;) At least some can...

Of course, no disagreement there. Religion itself, on the other hand...

That's a bit of a generalization as the Dharmic religions are generally founded upon critical thinking.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Yvette
Posts: 859
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2010 2:15:23 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/9/2010 12:07:47 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 8/8/2010 10:35:09 PM, Yvette wrote:
At 8/8/2010 10:32:48 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Hey, theists can think critically too. ;) At least some can...

Of course, no disagreement there. Religion itself, on the other hand...

That's a bit of a generalization as the Dharmic religions are generally founded upon critical thinking.

I have a question, Geo.

Let's say you somehow proved basic and major and foundational points of Buddhism totally wrong. Would you still consider yourself Buddhist?

Imo, what defines religion is that basic aspects of it don't change. When they do, there's a split. As opposed to science, where the "basic tenets" just get revised.
In the middle of moving to Washington. 8D

"If God does not exist, then chocolate causing cancer is only true for the society that has evidence for that." --GodSands
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2010 3:27:37 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/8/2010 9:27:10 PM, Freeman wrote:

Introduction to critical thinking starts this Monday at 4:00 pm Pacific Time. I hope to see lots of you there.

That's 12pm GMT D:
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2010 6:44:33 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/9/2010 12:07:47 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 8/8/2010 10:35:09 PM, Yvette wrote:
At 8/8/2010 10:32:48 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Hey, theists can think critically too. ;) At least some can...

Of course, no disagreement there. Religion itself, on the other hand...

That's a bit of a generalization as the Dharmic religions are generally founded upon critical thinking.

Follow unfounded assumptions and magical things happen to you? No.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Sobriquet
Posts: 390
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2010 11:33:38 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Well, I'm a student, but I probably won't be around at 4pm.
"Bullsh!t is unavoidable whenever circumstance require someone to talk without knowing what he is talking about."
— Harry G. Frankfurt
Freeman
Posts: 1,239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2010 2:53:49 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/8/2010 9:28:54 PM, Freeman wrote:
At 8/8/2010 9:27:10 PM, Freeman wrote:
Announcement to students:

Introduction to critical thinking starts this Monday at 4:00 pm Pacific Time. I hope to see lots of you there.

Best,
Freeman

And since there is no "philosophy" forum, it will probably take place in the religion forum.

Ok, I'm going to have to pick up a friend from work at 4:30 today. So it will begin tomorrow at the same time, since I will probably be busy after 6:00.

Moreover, I realize there are some people from Britain and other countries here. So it would be nice if someone could brainstorm a good meeting time if 4:00 is bad.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
Freeman
Posts: 1,239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2010 3:26:21 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/9/2010 2:58:00 PM, mongeese wrote:
Freeman, what do you say to putting it in the Education forum instead?

Yeah, that's a good idea. I'll do that.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
Strikeeagle84015
Posts: 867
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2010 7:06:16 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Has it been up yet?
: At 8/17/2010 7:17:56 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
: Hey dawg, i herd you like evangelical trolls so we put a bible thumper in yo bible thumper so you can troll while you troll!

Arguing with an atheist about God is very similar to arguing with a blind man about what the Sistine Chapel looks like
Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
The only way I will stop believing in God is if he appeared before me and told me that he did not exist.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2010 7:17:29 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/9/2010 2:15:23 AM, Yvette wrote:
I have a question, Geo.

Let's say you somehow proved basic and major and foundational points of Buddhism totally wrong. Would you still consider yourself Buddhist?

It depends. Certain aspects of Buddhism could be falsified while leaving much of Buddhism still in tact. That's because it is not a revealed religion where, if one aspect of the holy text can be proven to be false, then it doesn't have divine origin. But that's not the case with Buddhism. Even the Dalai Lama himself said, if any new scientific discovery contradicts a tenet of Buddhism, we must throw it out and accept the scientific answer.

Buddha laid out on what terms things should be accepted and acceptance is not based on dogma.

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it." -- the Buddha

Imo, what defines religion is that basic aspects of it don't change. When they do, there's a split. As opposed to science, where the "basic tenets" just get revised.

Well, the core tenets of Buddhism won't change or be overturned.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat