Jump to topic:

Choose Winner System

bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 2:04:02 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
For the love of God, will the more established users on the site *please* start using the choose winner system.

Most of the problematic votes on the site are from the non-argument point categories. That's 95% of the votes I remove. Make my life easier and reduce the odds of getting bad votes on your debates by using "choose winner." Some votes aren't removable and just barely pass moderation, so if you don't want a bad voter to get their vote to count for more by doing barely enough to pass moderation, use choose winner.

Also, if you're going to do a non-traditional debate, you'd be insane to do anything but "choose winner." We don't moderate non-traditional debates, except for complete failure to explain a point category. Strategic voting on non-traditional debates is *permitted* because it's not clear what the point categories should stand for (i.e. how should one evaluate "spelling" or "conduct" on a rap battle). If you want people to strategically vote against you on those debates, then use the 7-point system. But if you want to eliminate strategic voting, use "choose winner."
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 2:09:48 PM
At 5/24/2015 2:04:02 PM, bluesteel wrote:
For the love of God, will the more established users on the site *please* start using the choose winner system.

Most of the problematic votes on the site are from the non-argument point categories. That's 95% of the votes I remove. Make my life easier and reduce the odds of getting bad votes on your debates by using "choose winner." Some votes aren't removable and just barely pass moderation, so if you don't want a bad voter to get their vote to count for more by doing barely enough to pass moderation, use choose winner.

Also, if you're going to do a non-traditional debate, you'd be insane to do anything but "choose winner." We don't moderate non-traditional debates, except for complete failure to explain a point category. Strategic voting on non-traditional debates is *permitted* because it's not clear what the point categories should stand for (i.e. how should one evaluate "spelling" or "conduct" on a rap battle). If you want people to strategically vote against you on those debates, then use the 7-point system. But if you want to eliminate strategic voting, use "choose winner."

pro Had better argumets then Con becuz con is dumb
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 2:10:53 PM

Good to know. But on a non-traditional debate could I justify giving conduct, spelling, sources, and arguments to one side because they had a better profile picture, or is that going too far?
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 2:14:01 PM
At 5/24/2015 2:10:53 PM, Varrack wrote:

Good to know. But on a non-traditional debate could I justify giving conduct, spelling, sources, and arguments to one side because they had a better profile picture, or is that going too far?

Do whatever you want from a moderation perspective. You can say "conduct, S&G, arguments, and sources to Pro cuz boobs." We won't remove it.

You're still accountable though as a person who hopefully has ethics in how he conducts himself on the site.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 2:15:15 PM
That said, if the instigator does a really good job in a non-traditional debate of specifying the voting criteria, we may remove strategic votes. It's an exception that has yet to be explored.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 2:24:07 PM
At 5/24/2015 2:14:01 PM, bluesteel wrote:

Ok sure, anything to make your work easier :)

Do whatever you want from a moderation perspective. You can say "conduct, S&G, arguments, and sources to Pro cuz boobs." We won't remove it.

Rotfl XD
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 5:09:52 PM
At 5/24/2015 2:14:01 PM, bluesteel wrote:

You're still accountable though as a person who hopefully has ethics in how he conducts himself on the site.

I'll keep this in mind.
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 5:53:05 PM
Yes....do the "Choose Winner System" So that way when you vote..you cant get your vote removed as easily. ^_^ You don't have to explain S&G!
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Oh Hey, Seeing Artichokes Makes Me Want to Have Sex."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 7:45:57 PM

Darn! I was thinking of doing a piano battle where
S&G = Technique, articulation and voicing
Conduct = Repertoire choice
Sources = Musicality
Arguments = Overall winner
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 3:52:01 AM

Okay. Sorry.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW