Jump to topic:

Presidential Update

debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 10:48:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
It feels strange making one of these XD.

After an in depth conversation with airmax, I have decided to provide some information pertaining to the situation with Juggle. Also, I intend to accomplish a few goals aimed at site improvement during my short time as president. Please feel free to ask me any questions in this thread or via PM. I would be happy to answer.

Juggle

Sadly, there is very little to say relating to Juggle's relationship with DDO. It is entirely unknown as to whether they are likely to express interest in the site within the next few months. The mobile update certainly isn't ideal, however I don't think it renders the site unusable by any means. Because we know so little about Juggles intentions with DDO, it's best to focus on what is in our control - site improvement. So far, with airmax's help, I have come up with a few small projects aimed at improving the site. In my opinion, doing things like facilitating quality discussion in the forums and working on quality votes does just as much for DDO as working on technical issues. Since the user base has complete control over the former, that is what we ought to focus on.

Projects

1. Topics of the Week
This is something that has been instituted on and off in several of the forums. Topics of the week are important because they spur quality discussion in many of the sections that aren't used as much as they could be. I'd specifically like to focus on the philosophical, religious, economic, and social forums. Below the OP, I have created a sign up. Here, users can sign up to write OP's to be used for Topics of the Week.

In signing up, you are committing to write a quality OP over a topic that will facilitate quality discussion. If you sign up, write the forum your OP would belong in, as well as what the topic of your choosing is. Airmax will sticky these threads.

The reason it is so difficult to make Topics of the Week work is because it is hard to find enough users to produce quality content on a weekly basis. For this reason, feel free to sign up for multiple topics. Once enough people sign up, I will write an organized list of what people have committed to write, as well as when the OP's need to be written by in a separate thread.

2. Updated Unvoted Debates Thread
Airmax is currently working on a new "Post Unvoted Debates Here" thread. This thread will contain some insightful voting advice from various members.
Airmax is looking for names of people who are willing to be contacted to vote on debates to include in the OP. That way, newer members have an easier means of figuring out how to get votes on their debates. If this interests you, please contact Airmax or myself and we will make sure you are included in the OP so members know you are willing to vote on debates. So far BOT and whiteflame have agreed to be added.

3. More Google Hangouts
I will be setting some dates for google hangouts aimed with a particular purpose soon. For example, next Friday, it would be nice to have a google hangout solely for mafia or solely for jeopardy. If anyone would like to assist with this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks to anyone who read through this and please sign up for a topic of the week below if you feel that you can write an insightful OP!!
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 10:49:19 PM

Structure sign up like this:
1. username - desired forum - topic

RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 10:50:11 PM
If we can't lynch Juggle, we'll just have to lynch the President.

If we can't lynch the President, we'll just have to lynch the Vice President.

VTL Liz

Joey, get your vote off of me for once and help me start this bandwagon.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 10:50:55 PM
At 5/24/2015 10:49:19 PM, debatability wrote:

1. RevNge - Debate.org Forum - Complaints to Juggle
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 10:52:58 PM
At 5/24/2015 10:50:55 PM, RevNge wrote:

Lets try facilitate quality discussion that doesn't raise controversy. Right now, there is very little we can do pertaining to the situation with juggle besides simply waiting.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 10:54:27 PM
At 5/24/2015 10:52:58 PM, debatability wrote:

Lets try facilitate quality discussion that doesn't raise controversy. Right now, there is very little we can do pertaining to the situation with juggle besides simply waiting.

Complaints to Juggle isn't controversial; it's unanimous. I don't think there's a single person on DDO who actually was in favor of the mobile update.

But I was kidding, lol. I might make one for the Arts section, but there aren't a lot of users there.
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 10:56:52 PM

1. Bossyburrito/Dylancatlow (I know he'll be up for it) - Philosophy - Panentheism
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 10:57:00 PM
At 5/24/2015 10:54:27 PM, RevNge wrote:

Complaints to Juggle isn't controversial; it's unanimous. I don't think there's a single person on DDO who actually was in favor of the mobile update.

I think there is a certain degree of controversy over whether it is preferable to "report juggle" or do nothing. Imo, dwelling on the situation with Juggle makes things worse.

But I was kidding, lol. I might make one for the Arts section, but there aren't a lot of users there.

Please do! If you have something to contribute, feel free to sign up.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 11:01:37 PM
At 5/24/2015 10:57:00 PM, debatability wrote:

I think there is a certain degree of controversy over whether it is preferable to "report juggle" or do nothing. Imo, dwelling on the situation with Juggle makes things worse.

Not too much, though. It's not as controversial as, say, writing a topic bashing atheists or promoting Rand and Objectivism in the Philosophy forum (hi Bossy). :P

I mean, we can report Juggle to Google for this along with them cheating the SEO optimization algorithm, but I'm not sure how far blackmailing will get us--probably not much.

Please do! If you have something to contribute, feel free to sign up.

All right.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 11:03:32 PM
At 5/24/2015 10:56:52 PM, ShabShoral wrote:

1. Bossyburrito/Dylancatlow (I know he'll be up for it) - Philosophy - Panentheism

I was *this* close to stabbing someone until I realized that it wasn't about Rand. You scared me when I saw that it was going to be in the Philosophy forum. .-.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 11:05:10 PM

2. RevNge - Arts - The Value of Art

I'll probably change it to something that sounds more snazzy later, but this should do for now.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 1:03:11 AM
At 5/24/2015 10:48:05 PM, debatability wrote:

After an in depth conversation with airmax, I have decided to provide some information pertaining to the situation with Juggle. Also, I intend to accomplish a few goals aimed at site improvement during my short time as president. Please feel free to ask me any questions in this thread or via PM. I would be happy to answer.

Juggle

Sadly, there is very little to say relating to Juggle's relationship with DDO. It is entirely unknown as to whether they are likely to express interest in the site within the next few months. The mobile update certainly isn't ideal, however I don't think it renders the site unusable by any means. Because we know so little about Juggles intentions with DDO, it's best to focus on what is in our control - site improvement. So far, with airmax's help, I have come up with a few small projects aimed at improving the site. In my opinion, doing things like facilitating quality discussion in the forums and working on quality votes does just as much for DDO as working on technical issues. Since the user base has complete control over the former, that is what we ought to focus on.

Excellent point. Well said.

Projects

1. Topics of the Week
This is something that has been instituted on and off in several of the forums. Topics of the week are important because they spur quality discussion in many of the sections that aren't used as much as they could be. I'd specifically like to focus on the philosophical, religious, economic, and social forums. Below the OP, I have created a sign up. Here, users can sign up to write OP's to be used for Topics of the Week.

In signing up, you are committing to write a quality OP over a topic that will facilitate quality discussion. If you sign up, write the forum your OP would belong in, as well as what the topic of your choosing is. Airmax will sticky these threads.

The reason it is so difficult to make Topics of the Week work is because it is hard to find enough users to produce quality content on a weekly basis. For this reason, feel free to sign up for multiple topics. Once enough people sign up, I will write an organized list of what people have committed to write, as well as when the OP's need to be written by in a separate thread.

I think this is a great way to add incentive to creating, and contributing to, intelligent discussions here.

Airmax is currently working on a new "Post Unvoted Debates Here" thread. This thread will contain some insightful voting advice from various members.
Airmax is looking for names of people who are willing to be contacted to vote on debates to include in the OP. That way, newer members have an easier means of figuring out how to get votes on their debates. If this interests you, please contact Airmax or myself and we will make sure you are included in the OP so members know you are willing to vote on debates. So far BOT and whiteflame have agreed to be added.

Indeed. I think there are several great voters here on DDO who try their best to accommodate anyone with unvoted debates. I hope more people sign up, because it's, in my opinion, one of the best ways to learn things as well. When you sign into this site with the intent of voting on debates, you are forced to read and read and read...

Even if most of them are low-quality debates, there are true gems waiting to be found, and alot of knowledge can be gained by reading a multitude of various debates. I've been pushed out of my comfort zone countless times with vote requests on certain topics, and have found myself with 8 different tabs open researching every new term or concept I come across in that debate during my voting process. It's an immersive and self-driven way of educating yourself - and in the end you are also helping two debaters who desire only to receive some feedback on the debate they dedicated their time to.

I hope more people start to see the benefits of voting on debates, and pushing efforts like this one is definitely a good start to making that happen.

3. More Google Hangouts
I will be setting some dates for google hangouts aimed with a particular purpose soon. For example, next Friday, it would be nice to have a google hangout solely for mafia or solely for jeopardy. If anyone would like to assist with this, I would greatly appreciate it.

It's been awhile since we've had a good jeopardy game going. Bsh revived it for a little bit but I'd love to see a long-term effort put into effect. It's alot of fun, lol.

Thanks to anyone who read through this and please sign up for a topic of the week below if you feel that you can write an insightful OP!!

Honestly Liz, these are some great goals you've set for your presidency. They are realistic, achievable, and all serve to strengthen the community.

Best of luck and godspeed!
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 1:08:27 AM

Can you explain this a little more? Because I have a topic that "might" be interesting.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 1:35:08 AM
At 5/25/2015 1:08:27 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

Can you explain this a little more? Because I have a topic that "might" be interesting.

Well, I explained the concept in the OP. If you read that and still want more info I can try elaborate? What is your topic?
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 2:25:33 AM
At 5/25/2015 2:21:38 AM, debatability wrote:
Ive given it some thought.
I definitely think you should. I am inclined to believe you are the most friendly and diplomatic of all potential candidates among the active user base. Certainly good qualities to possess.
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 9:12:01 AM
At 5/24/2015 11:05:10 PM, RevNge wrote:
3. ResponsibleIrresponsible - Economics - [TBD]
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 9:45:47 AM
At 5/25/2015 9:12:01 AM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

Do monetary v. fiscal policy.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 9:54:12 AM
At 5/25/2015 9:45:47 AM, tejretics wrote:
At 5/25/2015 9:12:01 AM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

Do monetary v. fiscal policy.

I was thinking of doing something a bit broader, but nevertheless similar: monetary regime changes. The degree of monetary-fiscal mix is intertwined heavily with that (and you get to see my shout down Ben Bernanke, lol).

DDO's Economics Messiah
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 10:02:39 AM

I'd do one for arts too, and post in yours. I'd like to see a resurrection of that forum; there used to be a couple of really active threads there.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 10:07:44 AM
4. Skepsikyma - Religion - Religion and War
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 11:09:08 AM
I'll just update this with my topic: can't wait to come down in favor of fiscal stimulus!

3. ResponsibleIrresponsible - Economics - Monetary Regime Changes

DDO's Economics Messiah
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 11:34:03 AM
At 5/25/2015 11:09:08 AM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
I'll just update this with my topic: can't wait to come down in favor of fiscal stimulus!

5. Vox_Veritas - Religion - The Definition of God
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 1:13:47 PM

Juggle

Projects

1. Topics of the Week

3. More Google Hangouts

You're president now? When did this happen?
Nolite Timere
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 1:15:29 PM
At 5/25/2015 1:13:47 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

Juggle

Projects

1. Topics of the Week

3. More Google Hangouts

Whenever Ore_Ele left DDO, seeing as how when Ore_Ele was President, Debatability was the Vice-President.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 1:18:07 PM
At 5/25/2015 1:15:29 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 5/25/2015 1:13:47 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

Juggle

Projects

1. Topics of the Week

3. More Google Hangouts

Whenever Ore_Ele left DDO, seeing as how when Ore_Ele was President, Debatability was the Vice-President.

Oh, dang.
Nolite Timere
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 2:55:30 PM

Thanks to Debatability and Bluesteel, the new voting thread is now posted.

If anyone has any suggestions for things to add to the OP please let me or Debatability know. Also, if you would like to be added to the portion of the OP of members that can be contacted directly to vote on debates, please PM Debatability or myself to discuss possibly being added to the list.

Thanks again to Debatability and Bluesteel for their assistance on this.
Debate.org Moderator
Daltonian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 4:50:58 PM
6. Daltonian - Society - Corporal punishment in schools (could change if so I'll PM you)
F _ C K
All I need is "u", baby
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 9:04:15 PM
6. Daltonian - Society - Corporal punishment in schools (could change if so I'll PM you)
7. Hayd - Philosophy - What is Omnipotence?