Jump to topic:

Site Quality

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 12:56:23 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
The quality of the site - in terms of usability, discussion, and community, is getting worse. We can't easily fix the first problem, at least for a while - so we should focus on the other two.

I see a complaint aired from time to time, saying that the quality level of discussion has gotten progressively worse over the past few years. Innomen said something to me a few months ago when the Mikal resigning controversy was going on. He said:

"There was a time when this site had some real intellectual power, and a great sense of camaraderie, that you probably won't see again."

What he was getting at about the site being less intellectually powerful is true. We've seen many members become inactive that were very valued contributors. People like RoyLatham, Spinko and Cody_Franklin. There are many more, and if they were to come back that would be really great.

When you see members of the RoyLatham type become inactive and people that perhaps aren't as thought provoking (including myself) become very active forum posters who do not often debate, you see a decrease in quality. There's a place for members like me, and there's a place for members like Roy, and members like him are becoming scarce. That's a problem.

And when members become convinced the discussion quality is too poor and they fall into inactivity or explicitly leave, that contributes to the problem.

Which is why Ore_Ele shouldn't leave. That's why Cody_Franklin should start posting again. That's why RoyLatham should start debating again.

What Juggle does or does not do is a separate matter, and if that is the reason for leaving, it's a bad one. As much as I hate what they do, I stay. More valued members ought to stay. I've seen Bluesteel complain about discussion quality. I've seen Spinko complain about discussion quality. I have complained about discussion quality.

DDO members should take the initiative to improve quality themselves. When they do, people are more inclined to stay.

If you say "well this sucks" and then you abandon something, then you make the situation actually suck. If older members were to come back, maybe people would realize that everyone can control site quality. Innomen mused to me, after saying that thing about the lack of intellectual power, that he wondered if a reunion of sorts could be organized on DDO.

If even just a few members came back, and people were to stop leaving, the site would be greatly benefited. The site has a potential to hold great discussion, and when people abandon it, the site does not fulfill its potential.

A topic of the week as just brought up by Liz would be good. She said in a hangout that some forums such as politics, society, and philosophy should be posted in much more than they are. And that's true. People should post more threads there, and they should contribute more to those forums.

JMK said today that the politics forum is "dying". As the second-most posted in forum, that is a huge problem. I said to YYW today that it was unfortunate the philosophy forum is dead, and he replied that it's been that way for a while. These forums need to be revitalized for the sake of the site. The thought provoking debating that this site has the capability of hosting needs to become more commonplace. If that were to be achieved, the intellectual discussion would become a non-problem. Then, thought-provoking members would stop leaving. Then, the community is strong enough that people won't leave because of Juggle.

We must not let our discussion quality fall further, or we face more people leaving. We cannot have that.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 12:59:16 AM
Alright let's start now. Anything you want to talk about?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 1:07:39 AM
At 5/25/2015 12:59:16 AM, thett3 wrote:

Let's discuss the results of the latest GOP Primary polling.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 1:09:33 AM
At 5/25/2015 1:07:39 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Oooh okay. What do you think? I'm surprised that Cruz is polling as high as he is, but it's gone down quite a bit after his announcement bounce. Still he just isn't a viable candidate. I kinda like Rubio
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 1:19:34 AM
At 5/25/2015 1:09:33 AM, thett3 wrote:

Oooh okay. What do you think? I'm surprised that Cruz is polling as high as he is, but it's gone down quite a bit after his announcement bounce. Still he just isn't a viable candidate. I kinda like Rubio

I think it says a lot about Cruz as a candidate that Mike Huckabee polls higher than he does, and that his average poll numbers are about on par with Ben Carson. Bush is still the highest in the polls, but Scott Walker and Marco Rubio are not too far behind him.

At this point, I still take Bush as the nominee. I don't think Scott Walker will get it, but Rubio has a good chance - particularly because he helps the GOP appeal to Latinos.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 1:21:42 AM
At 5/25/2015 1:19:34 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

I think it says a lot about Cruz as a candidate that Mike Huckabee polls higher than he does, and that his average poll numbers are about on par with Ben Carson. Bush is still the highest in the polls, but Scott Walker and Marco Rubio are not too far behind him.

At this point, I still take Bush as the nominee. I don't think Scott Walker will get it, but Rubio has a good chance - particularly because he helps the GOP appeal to Latinos.

Jeb Bush is fine. I pray Rick Santorum doesn't even come close (probably not anyway) and gods, not Rand Paul :P Cruz = ew as well
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 1:23:39 AM
At 5/25/2015 1:21:42 AM, tejretics wrote:

Jeb Bush is fine. I pray Rick Santorum doesn't even come close (probably not anyway) and gods, not Rand Paul :P Cruz = ew as well

Santorum won't get anywhere even if he runs. It's questionable if he will even make it to the debates as they're only going to take the top 10 in the polls.

I'm completely fascinated with politics on a sports level--I'm really excited for the primary fight.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 1:24:50 AM
At 5/25/2015 1:23:39 AM, thett3 wrote:

Santorum won't get anywhere even if he runs. It's questionable if he will even make it to the debates as they're only going to take the top 10 in the polls.

But Rand Paul may :-(

I'm completely fascinated with politics on a sports level--I'm really excited for the primary fight.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 1:26:11 AM
At 5/25/2015 1:24:50 AM, tejretics wrote:

But Rand Paul may :-(

Rand Paul isn't bad. I'm not really libertarianish very much anymore, but a lot of what he's saying--like on the NSA and Republicans being willing to reach out to all voters--are extremely important a message that needs to be heard

DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 1:26:19 AM

I say this from the outside - Jeb Bush and Rubio are the only truly viable candidates.

Santorum is not even close. His poll numbers average at around 2%.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 1:29:38 AM
At 5/25/2015 1:26:19 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

I say this from the outside - Jeb Bush and Rubio are the only truly viable candidates.

What is Rubio's platform?
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 1:33:05 AM
At 5/25/2015 1:29:38 AM, tejretics wrote:

I don't know the platforms much. I do know that he's strategically appealing to certain demographics, which helps his candidacy.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
kasmic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 1:33:06 AM
At 5/25/2015 12:56:23 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
The quality of the site - in terms of usability, discussion, and community, is getting worse. We can't easily fix the first problem, at least for a while - so we should focus on the other two.

I see a complaint aired from time to time, saying that the quality level of discussion has gotten progressively worse over the past few years. Innomen said something to me a few months ago when the Mikal resigning controversy was going on. He said:

"There was a time when this site had some real intellectual power, and a great sense of camaraderie, that you probably won't see again."

What he was getting at about the site being less intellectually powerful is true. We've seen many members become inactive that were very valued contributors. People like RoyLatham, Spinko and Cody_Franklin. There are many more, and if they were to come back that would be really great.

When you see members of the RoyLatham type become inactive and people that perhaps aren't as thought provoking (including myself) become very active forum posters who do not often debate, you see a decrease in quality. There's a place for members like me, and there's a place for members like Roy, and members like him are becoming scarce. That's a problem.

And when members become convinced the discussion quality is too poor and they fall into inactivity or explicitly leave, that contributes to the problem.

Which is why Ore_Ele shouldn't leave. That's why Cody_Franklin should start posting again. That's why RoyLatham should start debating again.

What Juggle does or does not do is a separate matter, and if that is the reason for leaving, it's a bad one. As much as I hate what they do, I stay. More valued members ought to stay. I've seen Bluesteel complain about discussion quality. I've seen Spinko complain about discussion quality. I have complained about discussion quality.

DDO members should take the initiative to improve quality themselves. When they do, people are more inclined to stay.

If you say "well this sucks" and then you abandon something, then you make the situation actually suck. If older members were to come back, maybe people would realize that everyone can control site quality. Innomen mused to me, after saying that thing about the lack of intellectual power, that he wondered if a reunion of sorts could be organized on DDO.

If even just a few members came back, and people were to stop leaving, the site would be greatly benefited. The site has a potential to hold great discussion, and when people abandon it, the site does not fulfill its potential.

A topic of the week as just brought up by Liz would be good. She said in a hangout that some forums such as politics, society, and philosophy should be posted in much more than they are. And that's true. People should post more threads there, and they should contribute more to those forums.

JMK said today that the politics forum is "dying". As the second-most posted in forum, that is a huge problem. I said to YYW today that it was unfortunate the philosophy forum is dead, and he replied that it's been that way for a while. These forums need to be revitalized for the sake of the site. The thought provoking debating that this site has the capability of hosting needs to become more commonplace. If that were to be achieved, the intellectual discussion would become a non-problem. Then, thought-provoking members would stop leaving. Then, the community is strong enough that people won't leave because of Juggle.

We must not let our discussion quality fall further, or we face more people leaving. We cannot have that.

For the year or so that I have participated on this website I can honestly say that in the last month the quality of debates is much higher than it was when I first joined. There are fewer spam debates and more debates on relevant topics than I had ever seen prior. The update does suck, and the forums may be struggling but tbh... I think the debates are decent at least by comparison.

Maybe stronger debaters like Roy are not debating, but it does seems to me like more debates are being engaged in seriously.

Anyways... That's my two cents.
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 1:42:27 AM

+1 for the OP. Why invest time and energy into complaining about juggle when there are so many things that are in our control - namely discussion and community
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 1:51:48 AM
At 5/25/2015 1:33:06 AM, kasmic wrote:

For the year or so that I have participated on this website I can honestly say that in the last month the quality of debates is much higher than it was when I first joined. There are fewer spam debates and more debates on relevant topics than I had ever seen prior. The update does suck, and the forums may be struggling but tbh... I think the debates are decent at least by comparison.

Maybe stronger debaters like Roy are not debating, but it does seems to me like more debates are being engaged in seriously.

Anyways... That's my two cents.

I too have been here for about a year. I think that there are honestly fewer quality debates than there used to be, but my perception could totally be warped since I vote less due to time constraints. The one thing im entirely sure of is that forum discussion has been in a study decline. I'm really hoping making topics of the week will help.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 1:54:53 AM

Here's a really great site to get that kind of information:

http://ballotpedia.org...

On the right side of the page I linked, is a list of candidates and potential candidates. If you click the individual you are interested in reading more about, you will be shown their positions and where they stand on the political spectrum.

Here is Rubio's page:

Debate.org Moderator
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 1:57:11 AM

Me too. I literally watch presidential debates on YouTube as entertainment. The worst part is that I get emotionally invested in these debates, comparable to a football fan watching the game on tv.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 2:04:12 AM
At 5/25/2015 1:54:53 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

On the right side of the page I linked, is a list of candidates and potential candidates. If you click the individual you are interested in reading more about, you will be shown their positions and where they stand on the political spectrum.

Here is Rubio's page:

I really hate the ETPA and denial of AGW, so I don't support Rubio :P
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 2:06:05 AM
At 5/25/2015 2:04:12 AM, tejretics wrote:
At 5/25/2015 1:54:53 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

Here is Rubio's page:

I really hate the ETPA and denial of AGW, so I don't support Rubio :P

Well then I guess my work here is done.
Debate.org Moderator
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 2:07:18 AM
At 5/25/2015 1:57:11 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Me too. I literally watch presidential debates on YouTube as entertainment. The worst part is that I get emotionally invested in these debates, comparable to a football fan watching the game on tv.

I yelled at the TV during the 2012 Presidential Debates.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 2:09:27 AM
At 5/25/2015 2:07:18 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

I yelled at the TV during the 2012 Presidential Debates.

LOL, I did the same. During the most recent Fl. governors debate I nearly had a panic attack, and wanted to slap them both.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 4:33:55 AM

Actually, Cody is posting at the moment. In fact, he raised some points in a thread of mine, and I found them very difficult to refute!

The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 8:21:05 AM

^
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 8:39:34 AM
I'd like to see Rand Paul as our next President. I really liked him filibustering against the renewal of the patriot act. Though it really won't make a difference if it's renewed or not (The Government will continue it anyway), it showed determination. However, his tax plans seem too good to be true. While my family would certainly benefit from some tax cuts, I understand how it may disadvantage others. That and I don't see how he plans to make up the lost tax revenue.

The thing I don't want to see happen if Hillary Clinton be elected President. The whole "First Woman President" thing would sound nice if she wasn't so untrustworthy. Maybe they'll find a decent candidate before the deadline but as it is now, the Democratic party can't win the upcoming election.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 8:40:01 AM
At 5/25/2015 8:39:34 AM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
I'd like to see Rand Paul as our next President. I really liked him filibustering against the renewal of the patriot act. Though it really won't make a difference if it's renewed or not (The Government will continue it anyway), it showed determination. However, his tax plans seem too good to be true. While my family would certainly benefit from some tax cuts, I understand how it may disadvantage others. That and I don't see how he plans to make up the lost tax revenue.

The thing I don't want to see happen is Hillary Clinton be elected President. The whole "First Woman President" thing would sound nice if she wasn't so untrustworthy. Maybe they'll find a decent candidate before the deadline but as it is now, the Democratic party can't win the upcoming election.

fix'd
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 2:16:31 PM

Yeah if you can detach yourself and just watch it all unfold objectively (which is realy really hard and I fail at it to some extent ) it's just completely fascinating. I'm dissapointed that Hillary ran, because I was looking forward to a prolonged and nasty nomination fight from both parties
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 2:22:33 PM
Tbh Harder, I think a lot of this is attributed to burnout. Maybe not for you, but for me the site seems less intellectual because I'm no longer seeking out as many great debates to read as I once did...the site hasn't become less intellectual, I have
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 2:39:43 PM
At 5/25/2015 2:22:33 PM, thett3 wrote:
Tbh Harder, I think a lot of this is attributed to burnout. Maybe not for you, but for me the site seems less intellectual because I'm no longer seeking out as many great debates to read as I once did...the site hasn't become less intellectual, I have

This. So much this.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 5:09:03 PM
The response to this reminds me why I should stay silent.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 6:31:51 PM

Great speech.

My take on the problem is that forums are too laid back and debates are too hardcore. You either discuss suff as you would at a dinner table on the forums or you go on to debate the topic like you've been given a huge week long project.
New episode of OUTSIDERS: http://www.debate.org...
Episode 4 - They walk among us