Total Posts:2|Showing Posts:1-2
Jump to topic:

What do you think about this debate topic?

TheJuniorVarsityNovice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2015 1:36:58 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
The debate I propose has the resolution as follows:

"The A&E TV show "Beyond Scared Straight" and all similar programs should be banned by the government."

I have had this topic in my head for a while but never created it. It came to me when watching the TV show itself but I think it would defeat the purpose to simply argue the TV show should be banned, so I said that all programs like it should be banned as well. (not just TV programs). I honestly think its a sick show and I also think it is, or should be illegal.

I don't know if any of you guys will disagree with me but I think the topic is a bit pro biased so I said the government should ban it as opposed to a general topic of 'should it be' or 'is it immoral/bad'. So, again, I added the government part. I think this opens the debate up to arguments about free speech..ect, but it still might be a bit pro biased.

What do you guys think? Is the topic good as-is, is there a change you want in the wording, do you think its too biased one way, just a dumb topic? What? Feedback much appreciated. I was going for a shared burden of proof, would that be OK?
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2015 2:03:17 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I think it's a fine topic, and you worded it just right.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle