Jump to topic:

May Beginner's Tournament R1 Update

ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2015 3:09:02 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Suffice it to say, this tournament has *not* gone the way I planned. It's a culmination of factors, and I partially blame myself for not enforcing the rules more stringently than I did, but nevertheless this is the hand we've been dealt, and we need to proceed. Obviously it upsets me when people don't follow through with their end of the bargain, though in many cases - and this was true for several competitors - there were forces outside of their control which hindered their ability to participate. Obviously this is not directed at them, nor should they feel in any way obliged to continue.

However, when people fail to respond to their opponent's communications a consistent basis, don't log into DDO for extended periods of time, or forfeit rounds - and I will note that, out of the only three debates which actually ever started, which I'll link to below, every single one of them contains at least one forfeit - this is clearly extremely upsetting to me, because I took the time to actually coordinate this tournament and beg prospective mentors and beginners to participate.

The updates are as follows:

1harderthanyouthink, Diego_St_Clair, and Malacoda have dropped out.

Tumblrnatic has been disqualified for (a) not signing into DDO for a week and (b) repeatedly ignoring communications from her opponent. That1user has made several attempts at contact, and has kept me in the loop in an effort to meet deadlines - which, might I add, I extended several times, even setting an explicit "new, new" read line for the two of them. For this reason, he will advance to the next round.

Therefore, the remaining bracket looks something like this. The underlined names are no longer in the tournament, whereas the bold names have already advanced. Note that I've heard from zero replacements, and their window for entry has been long exceeded.

Diqiucun_Cunmin (Wylted) vs. Diego_St_Clair (Zmikecuber)

8elB6U5THIqaSm5QhiNLVnRJA (1Historygenius) vs. Kingkd (1Historygenius)

Link: http://www.debate.org...

That1User (Whiteflame) vs. Tumblrnatic (YYW)

1harderthanyouthink (Whiteflame) vs. Malacoda (YYW)

ScarlettPrecious (Zmikecuber) vs. Hayd (Kasmic)

Himans45 (Kasmic) vs. Espera (Wylted)

In spite of this rather disappointing turnout, we will march forward.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2015 6:29:13 PM
Ugh, that sucks... I'm sorry :/
We know you put allot of work into this..
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Oh Hey, Seeing Artichokes Makes Me Want to Have Sex."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2015 6:47:14 PM
More Updates

It looks as though, due to forfeits, Scarlet and 8el have conceded their debates. As a result, Hayd and kingkd will advance.

However, I have my eyes on Himan and Espera's debate; himan forfeited twice, and espera once. If the remainder of the debate is simply an endless stream of forfeitures, both will be disqualified. I'm not going to advance someone who delayed the entirety of the tournament and didn't even bother, on a consistent basis, to post their rounds on a debate they committed to.

I'm going to monitor that debate for another round or so, but if this trend continues, we'll proceed immediately to Round 2. Obviously cutting from 12 to 4 is bad enough, much less 12 to 3, but I would rather have 3 active debaters who actually want to participate than the convenience of two rounds of single elimination.

If that happens to be the case, this would simply be the round-robin portion of the tournament: all the remaining debaters will face off and against one another, and whoever has the best record of the three wins.

DDO's Economics Messiah
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2015 7:31:56 PM
I have to admit, it's been disappointing to watch this play out. I haven't even had the opportunity to actually mentor in this tournament at all, as the only thing I got to do was try and assist 1harder and Malacoda (with the help of YYW) in selecting a topic, which they never did. It's all the more disappointing because 1harder's inactivity is affecting not one, but two beginner's tournaments, as his absence also prevents another of my mentees from having a semi-final round.

...Seriously guys, your mentors signed up for this because we were ready and eager to help you get better at what we're all here to do, and that's debate. We want to put in the effort. It's incredibly disappointing to see it fizzle out round after round. I always understand if you have an emergency or something in life requires a lot more of your time all of a sudden, but have some respect for the people who put this together (ResponsiblyIrresponsible and bsh1), for your mentors, and for your opponents. At least try to post something saying that you have to drop out. It's not that difficult. And if you're not sure you have the time to participate in one of these, don't. It's no help to anyone if you have to drop out due to foreseen circumstances.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2015 7:51:56 PM
At 5/27/2015 3:09:02 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
Suffice it to say, this tournament has *not* gone the way I planned. It's a culmination of factors, and I partially blame myself for not enforcing the rules more stringently than I did, but nevertheless this is the hand we've been dealt, and we need to proceed. Obviously it upsets me when people don't follow through with their end of the bargain, though in many cases - and this was true for several competitors - there were forces outside of their control which hindered their ability to participate. Obviously this is not directed at them, nor should they feel in any way obliged to continue.

However, when people fail to respond to their opponent's communications a consistent basis, don't log into DDO for extended periods of time, or forfeit rounds - and I will note that, out of the only three debates which actually ever started, which I'll link to below, every single one of them contains at least one forfeit - this is clearly extremely upsetting to me, because I took the time to actually coordinate this tournament and beg prospective mentors and beginners to participate.

The updates are as follows:

1harderthanyouthink, Diego_St_Clair, and Malacoda have dropped out.

Tumblrnatic has been disqualified for (a) not signing into DDO for a week and (b) repeatedly ignoring communications from her opponent. That1user has made several attempts at contact, and has kept me in the loop in an effort to meet deadlines - which, might I add, I extended several times, even setting an explicit "new, new" read line for the two of them. For this reason, he will advance to the next round.

Therefore, the remaining bracket looks something like this. The underlined names are no longer in the tournament, whereas the bold names have already advanced. Note that I've heard from zero replacements, and their window for entry has been long exceeded.

Diqiucun_Cunmin (Wylted) vs. Diego_St_Clair (Zmikecuber)

8elB6U5THIqaSm5QhiNLVnRJA (1Historygenius) vs. Kingkd (1Historygenius)

That1User (Whiteflame) vs. Tumblrnatic (YYW)

1harderthanyouthink (Whiteflame) vs. Malacoda (YYW)

ScarlettPrecious (Zmikecuber) vs. Hayd (Kasmic)

Himans45 (Kasmic) vs. Espera (Wylted)

In spite of this rather disappointing turnout, we will march forward.

Aww all my people dropped out. :(
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2015 10:18:45 PM
At 5/27/2015 6:47:14 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
More Updates

It looks as though, due to forfeits, Scarlet and 8el have conceded their debates. As a result, Hayd and kingkd will advance.

However, I have my eyes on Himan and Espera's debate; himan forfeited twice, and espera once. If the remainder of the debate is simply an endless stream of forfeitures, both will be disqualified. I'm not going to advance someone who delayed the entirety of the tournament and didn't even bother, on a consistent basis, to post their rounds on a debate they committed to.

I'm going to monitor that debate for another round or so, but if this trend continues, we'll proceed immediately to Round 2. Obviously cutting from 12 to 4 is bad enough, much less 12 to 3, but I would rather have 3 active debaters who actually want to participate than the convenience of two rounds of single elimination.

If that happens to be the case, this would simply be the round-robin portion of the tournament: all the remaining debaters will face off and against one another, and whoever has the best record of the three wins.

Turns out I can't count - that's 4 people who would advance in a case where this debate produces more forfeits.

DDO's Economics Messiah