Jump to topic:

A Challenge For Atheist.

Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2015 3:54:56 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
So, if you know me, you know I'm a Christian, well, at least that is what I think. I'm stuck between evolutionary thought and creationism. Both sides seem to make sense to me, and each side has some major missing pieces.

I always have debated for the existence of god, but I'd like to debate against that now. I would like to ask an atheist to debate me in the existence of god. I'd like to debate against god, and see which stance I stand stronger for.

Who's interested? ;)
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Oh Hey, Seeing Artichokes Makes Me Want to Have Sex."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2015 3:57:08 PM
I would do it, but I would point out that you can believe in evolution and still be a Christian. The two positions are not mutually exclusive unless you take the bible as a literal text vice one that is up for interpretation.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2015 3:58:27 PM
At 5/28/2015 3:57:08 PM, bsh1 wrote:
I would do it, but I would point out that you can believe in evolution and still be a Christian. The two positions are not mutually exclusive unless you take the bible as a literal text vice one that is up for interpretation.

Yeah, I know that, I've been told that multiple times. But yet, if you were debating the existence of god (yourself) that mean you'd have to believe in what you are debating on, right?
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2015 4:07:10 PM

Yeah, it always perplexed me how people think they are mutually exclusive.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2015 4:08:39 PM
At 5/28/2015 3:54:56 PM, Lee001 wrote:
So, if you know me, you know I'm a Christian, well, at least that is what I think. I'm stuck between evolutionary thought and creationism. Both sides seem to make sense to me, and each side has some major missing pieces.

I always have debated for the existence of god, but I'd like to debate against that now. I would like to ask an atheist to debate me in the existence of god. I'd like to debate against god, and see which stance I stand stronger for.

Who's interested? ;)

Pick me! I will give you a good debate.

Regarding evolution vs. creationism - note that 95+%, probably closer to 99% of biologists that themselves are Christians also accept evolution. So that should really tell you something - faith shouldn't be an obstacle to accepting pretty well established scientific discoveries. Evolution is true regardless of whether God exists or not - I accepted that many years before becoming an atheist, it really was a non-factor regarding religion.
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2015 4:10:14 PM
At 5/28/2015 4:07:10 PM, daytonanerd wrote:

What's that suppose to mean -_-

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2015 4:12:09 PM
At 5/28/2015 4:10:14 PM, Lee001 wrote:

Evolution and Christianity are compatible, depending on how literally you interpret the Bible, and there are a good amount of Christians who don't believe and follow EVERYTHING in the Bible.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2015 4:13:18 PM

Who's interested? ;)

Why not both?
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2015 4:14:40 PM

Who's interested? ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org...

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2015 4:15:26 PM
At 5/28/2015 4:14:40 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Who's interested? ;)

I'm starting to think I'm more Pagan then anything.

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2015 4:27:49 PM
At 5/28/2015 4:15:26 PM, Lee001 wrote:
At 5/28/2015 4:14:40 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Who's interested? ;)

I'm starting to think I'm more Pagan then anything.

Pagan simply means you believe in multiple gods.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2015 4:36:43 PM

Who's interested? ;)

Why not a theist? They would probably be better at defending God than atheists would be.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2015 6:45:17 PM
At 5/28/2015 3:58:27 PM, Lee001 wrote:

Yeah, I know that, I've been told that multiple times. But yet, if you were debating the existence of god (yourself) that mean you'd have to believe in what you are debating on, right?

I mean, I don't believe in god. I also do not not believe in god. I am willing to affirm god's existence in a debate with you, if you want.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2015 6:45:55 PM

Agreed.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2015 8:42:16 AM

Who's interested? ;)

Me. I'm an atheist, and completely prepared to go against you Devil's advocate.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2015 8:42:52 AM
At 5/28/2015 4:10:14 PM, Lee001 wrote:

It means you can be a Christian and still believe in evolution.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2015 8:43:48 AM
At 5/28/2015 6:45:17 PM, bsh1 wrote:

I mean, I don't believe in god. I also do not not believe in god. I am willing to affirm god's existence in a debate with you, if you want.

Ah! An agnostic atheist, I assume, or a militant agnostic? I'm an agnostic atheist myself.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2015 3:38:46 PM
At 5/29/2015 8:43:48 AM, tejretics wrote:

Ah! An agnostic atheist, I assume, or a militant agnostic? I'm an agnostic atheist myself.

Just agnostic.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2015 3:48:44 PM
It's always baffling to see christians who deny modern science for no reason. The stunning complexity of life and evolution is in no way incompatible with a creator. And the Big Bang, which postulates that rather than an eternal, unchanging universe that just *is*, our world possibly did have an absolute beginning, just as is described by religious narrative.

But no. Instead lets take what is clearly allegorical and take it literally, making us all look like unscientific morons. The only compelling argument I've ever seen for YEC is that maybe God just created a universe with a manufactured history, and the age the universe appears to be doesn't tell us how old it actually is, just as the age of a character in a play doesn't tell us how long the performance has lasted. Which is obviously possible but it has the issue of being unfalsifiable and a completely pointless issue...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2015 3:50:09 PM
At 5/29/2015 3:42:00 PM, Anna08 wrote:
So many infidels omg

I know. We need to purge the site of godless heathens.

Unfortunately, that includes Catholics /: sorry about that
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2015 4:02:52 PM
At 5/29/2015 3:48:44 PM, thett3 wrote:
It's always baffling to see christians who deny modern science for no reason. The stunning complexity of life and evolution is in no way incompatible with a creator. And the Big Bang, which postulates that rather than an eternal, unchanging universe that just *is*, our world possibly did have an absolute beginning, just as is described by religious narrative.

But no. Instead lets take what is clearly allegorical and take it literally, making us all look like unscientific morons. The only compelling argument I've ever seen for YEC is that maybe God just created a universe with a manufactured history, and the age the universe appears to be doesn't tell us how old it actually is, just as the age of a character in a play doesn't tell us how long the performance has lasted. Which is obviously possible but it has the issue of being unfalsifiable and a completely pointless issue...

I like how biblical literalism didn't even arise until reactionaries decided that science had advanced too far and had to be rejected.

"Only recently, for example, has it been championed by some as the literal and inerrant word of God, to be believed in every plain detail. Biblical fundamentalism has its strongest roots in the late 19th century. Before then, the faithful, if they read it at all, were on the whole freer in their interpretations"not because they were any less devout, or less convinced of the book"s divine inspiration, but because puzzles in the text seemed to point to deeper, hidden meanings. Long before anyone worried that "Genesis" seemed inconsistent with the facts of history or science, people had noticed that it was inconsistent with itself. It contains, for instance, two conflicting accounts of the order of creation." [http://www.economist.com...]
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2015 9:55:46 AM

I'm curious, are you saying your understanding of evolution has some major missing pieces or are you saying the theory of evolution has some major missing pieces. If the former, that can be rectified with some stud, if the latter, I certainly for one would be very interested to hear what exactly is missing? My current understanding of evolution shows it be quite complete across a range of scientific disciplines. Thanks in advance.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2015 1:42:19 PM

It seems like you also don't believe in the law of non-contradiction ;)
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2015 3:21:33 PM
At 5/30/2015 1:42:19 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

It seems like you also don't believe in the law of non-contradiction ;)

???
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2015 3:22:37 PM

Who's interested? ;)

Evolution is not possible before life has been created.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2015 3:25:18 PM
At 5/29/2015 3:48:44 PM, thett3 wrote:

BURN THE WITCH
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2015 8:48:43 AM

That isn't really agnosticism, that's agnostic atheism ...
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2015 9:15:56 AM

Who's interested? ;)

It would be fun to see Envisage or bsh to debate you Devil's advocate ... why did you withdraw the challenge? =(
paininthenuts
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2015 10:13:23 AM

Who's interested? ;)
======

This is 2015, and I find it amazing that anyone in this day and age can actually believe in this super being in the sky.

This is my question. There are millions of different creatures on earth, and in the scheme of things we are no more important than a slug or a spider, so why according to the bible are we the only animal with a sole. Does this therefore mean that when we go to heaven, or hell, we will be the only creature there. I have to be honest, the whole concept of religion in the modern era is absolutely crazy. I have to ask, why are you basing your beliefs on something that uneducated people made up thousands of years ago. We used to belief that the earth was flat, and there were witches, but somehow we grew out of that, so why does any religion still exist ?