Total Posts:6|Showing Posts:1-6
Jump to topic:

A Challenge: BSH/Zaradi, Prove Your Merit

ShabShoral
Posts: 4,199
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2015 8:50:47 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Compute, O friend, the number of the cattle of the sun which once grazed upon the plains of Sicily, divided according to color into four herds, one milk-white, one black, one dappled and one yellow. The number of bulls is greater than the number of cows, and the relations between them are as follows:

White bulls = ((1/2) + (1/3)) black bulls + yellow bulls,
Black bulls = ((1/4) + (1/5)) dappled bulls + yellow bulls,
Dappled bulls = ((1/6) + (1/7)) white bulls + yellow bulls,
White cows = (1/3) + (1/4)) black herd,
Black cows = ((1/4) + (1/5)) dappled herd,
Dappled cows = ((1/5) + (1/6)) yellow herd,
Yellow cows = ((1/6) + (1/7)) white herd.

If thou canst give, O friend, the number of each kind of bulls and cows, thou art no novice in numbers, yet can not be regarded as of high skill. Consider, however, the following additional relations between the bulls of the sun:

White bulls + black bulls = a square number,
Dappled bulls + yellow bulls = a triangular number.

If thou hast computed these also, O friend, and found the total number of cattle, then exult as a conqueror, for thou hast proved thyself most skilled in numbers.
: At 10/2/2017 3:00:43 AM, YYW wrote:
: Bossy: You are Regina.

:Inferno wrote:
:You sound rather gay.

-- And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

"I believe that my powers of mind are surely such that I would have become in a
certain sense a resolver of all problems. I do not believe that I could have remained in
error anywhere for long. I believe that I would have earned the name of Redeemer,
because I had the nature of a Redeemer. "
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,651
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2015 8:56:43 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/28/2015 8:50:47 PM, ShabShoral wrote:
Compute, O friend, the number of the cattle of the sun which once grazed upon the plains of Sicily, divided according to color into four herds, one milk-white, one black, one dappled and one yellow. The number of bulls is greater than the number of cows, and the relations between them are as follows:

White bulls = ((1/2) + (1/3)) black bulls + yellow bulls,
Black bulls = ((1/4) + (1/5)) dappled bulls + yellow bulls,
Dappled bulls = ((1/6) + (1/7)) white bulls + yellow bulls,
White cows = (1/3) + (1/4)) black herd,
Black cows = ((1/4) + (1/5)) dappled herd,
Dappled cows = ((1/5) + (1/6)) yellow herd,
Yellow cows = ((1/6) + (1/7)) white herd.

If thou canst give, O friend, the number of each kind of bulls and cows, thou art no novice in numbers, yet can not be regarded as of high skill. Consider, however, the following additional relations between the bulls of the sun:

White bulls + black bulls = a square number,
Dappled bulls + yellow bulls = a triangular number.

If thou hast computed these also, O friend, and found the total number of cattle, then exult as a conqueror, for thou hast proved thyself most skilled in numbers.

Eureka! I have found it! - Archimedes.

^^ That's the only hint I'll give.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator & Official Voting Group Czar
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 29,009
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2015 9:28:04 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
#SocialSciences are Life
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...

29,000th Post & Sort of Farewell: http://www.debate.org...
ShabShoral
Posts: 4,199
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 8:09:54 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
And?
: At 10/2/2017 3:00:43 AM, YYW wrote:
: Bossy: You are Regina.

:Inferno wrote:
:You sound rather gay.

-- And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

"I believe that my powers of mind are surely such that I would have become in a
certain sense a resolver of all problems. I do not believe that I could have remained in
error anywhere for long. I believe that I would have earned the name of Redeemer,
because I had the nature of a Redeemer. "
bsh1
Posts: 29,009
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 8:12:25 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/13/2015 8:09:54 AM, ShabShoral wrote:
And?

Lol.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...

29,000th Post & Sort of Farewell: http://www.debate.org...