Beginner's Tournament - June - Sign Ups

debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2015 12:46:20 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Welcome!!

This thread is for the sign ups of the June beginners tournament. This tournament is meant for users that are new to this site / new to debating. Please read the information below before signing up!!

The purpose of this tournament is to help newer members and newer debaters gain experience needed to compete with more experienced members. This tournament is a great way to get to know people, and gain the knowledge essential to success on DDO. What makes this tournament unique is it's use of mentors. There will be four mentors and eight competitors in this tournament. Each mentor will help two competitors in constructing arguments and cases.

Qualifications
In order to compete, one must have either less than 2,500 elo or less than 10 debates.

In order to mentor, PM me and I will choose four people based on who is the most qualified.

This tournament will have 8 competitors and 3 single elimination rounds.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2015 1:17:50 AM
At 5/29/2015 12:46:20 AM, debatability wrote:
Welcome!!

This thread is for the sign ups of the June beginners tournament. This tournament is meant for users that are new to this site / new to debating. Please read the information below before signing up!!

The purpose of this tournament is to help newer members and newer debaters gain experience needed to compete with more experienced members. This tournament is a great way to get to know people, and gain the knowledge essential to success on DDO. What makes this tournament unique is it's use of mentors. There will be four mentors and eight competitors in this tournament. Each mentor will help two competitors in constructing arguments and cases.

Qualifications
In order to compete, one must have either less than 2,500 elo or less than 10 debates.

In order to mentor, PM me and I will choose four people based on who is the most qualified.

Congrats on being first president to host a Beginners' Tournament while in office :P
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2015 1:18:53 AM
I'm in as a mentor, but I won't chase the beginners down. They need to actively engage with me. I've been having a problem with that.
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2015 1:25:19 AM
At 5/29/2015 1:18:53 AM, Wylted wrote:
I'm in as a mentor, but I won't chase the beginners down. They need to actively engage with me. I've been having a problem with that.

Yes - I will be going over beginner - mentor interaction in each of the pm's that I make. I strongly agree with that mentality.
ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2015 9:14:38 AM
Welcome!!

Qualifications

Is this an official tournament? If so I'd like to sign up.
I will change my sig weekly. Week 4.

Fun fact of the week
Clumsy alien Jar Jar Binks was introduced in The Phantom Menace for comic relief, but he was initially a two-faced mercenary who was to betray Qui-Gon Jinn, a Jedi Master played by Liam Neeson.

Joke of the week:
Nerd 1: "Why can't you trust atoms?"
Nerd 2: : "Cause they make everything up!"
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2015 9:41:21 AM
Welcome!!

Qualifications

1. Lannan13 (ELO is at 1850)

I can do this tourney do to some personal issues resulting in my ship date being pushed back. :(
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2015 1:27:25 PM
At 5/29/2015 9:14:38 AM, ClashnBoom wrote:
Welcome!!

Qualifications

Is this an official tournament? If so I'd like to sign up.

yes. it is official.
Perfectlocke
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2015 3:56:35 PM
I would like to sign myself up for the beginner's debate tournament. Thanks for running this it's really an awesome idea.
Inquisit0r
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2015 9:24:08 PM
I would like to sign up for this tournament. Getting into this tournament will surely test my mettle, and help me further understand DDO custom.
Nac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2015 8:04:09 AM
Welcome!!

Qualifications

Could I please know when this tournament is set to start, from where topics should be chosen, and standard rules for the debates? I see this knowledge as integral in deciding if I should partake.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2015 8:19:21 AM
At 5/31/2015 8:04:09 AM, Nac wrote:
Welcome!!

Qualifications

Could I please know when this tournament is set to start, from where topics should be chosen, and standard rules for the debates? I see this knowledge as integral in deciding if I should partake.

Rules are your own, basic rules are no forfeits and no trolling. Topics are of your choice (you and your opponent must decide on one).
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Nac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2015 8:41:21 AM
At 5/31/2015 8:19:21 AM, tejretics wrote:
Welcome!!

Qualifications

Rules are your own, basic rules are no forfeits and no trolling. Topics are of your choice (you and your opponent must decide on one).
Thank you for your help. I was uncertain if there existed any notable constraints on the topics one can debate. There are none here?

As well, would you be able to tell me when the tournament will begin, or a range?
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2015 9:00:25 AM
At 5/31/2015 8:41:21 AM, Nac wrote:
Welcome!!

Qualifications

Thank you for your help. I was uncertain if there existed any notable constraints on the topics one can debate. There are none here?

No, beginners tournaments don't have topic constraints. Obviously no troll debates, rap battles, and the like.

As well, would you be able to tell me when the tournament will begin, or a range?

I don't know. Ask debatability ...
Nac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2015 9:02:09 AM
At 5/31/2015 9:00:25 AM, tejretics wrote:
At 5/31/2015 8:41:21 AM, Nac wrote:
Welcome!!

Qualifications

No, beginners tournaments don't have topic constraints. Obviously no troll debates, rap battles, and the like.

I don't know. Ask debatability ...

Thank you.
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2015 3:02:49 PM

1. perfectlocke
2. Inquisit0r
3. eagleoftheeast
4. nac
5. lannan (this is pending - if more than 8 competitors sign up, precedence will be given to newer members)

** The tournament begins once I have 8 participants, 4 mentors. It will likely begin in under a week. Thank you to everyone who has signed up so far!
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2015 3:08:16 PM

1. perfectlocke
2. Inquisit0r
3. eagleoftheeast
4. nac
5. wam
6. lannan (this is pending - if more than 8 competitors sign up, precedence will be given to newer members)

** The tournament begins once I have 8 participants, 4 mentors. It will likely begin in under a week. Thank you to everyone who has signed up so far!
OpinionPersom121
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2015 3:37:09 PM
At 5/31/2015 3:08:16 PM, debatability wrote:

1. perfectlocke
2. Inquisit0r
3. eagleoftheeast
4. nac
5. wam
6. lannan (this is pending - if more than 8 competitors sign up, precedence will be given to newer members)

I'll join too
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2015 3:40:34 PM
1. perfectlocke
2. Inquisit0r
3. eagleoftheeast
4. nac
5. wam
6. opinionpersom121
7. lannan (this is pending - if more than 8 competitors sign up, precedence will be given to newer members)
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 1:11:51 AM
At 5/31/2015 3:40:34 PM, debatability wrote:
1. perfectlocke
2. Inquisit0r
3. eagleoftheeast
4. nac
5. wam
6. opinionpersom121
7. solonKR
8. lannan (this is pending - if more than 8 competitors sign up, precedence will be given to newer members)
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 4:58:54 PM
At 6/2/2015 1:11:51 AM, debatability wrote:
1. perfectlocke
2. Inquisit0r
3. eagleoftheeast
4. nac
5. wam
6. opinionpersom121
7. solonKR
8. lannan (this is pending - if more than 8 competitors sign up, precedence will be given to newer members)

If I can't debate then could I help coach in that case?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 8:19:39 PM
At 6/2/2015 4:58:54 PM, lannan13 wrote:
At 6/2/2015 1:11:51 AM, debatability wrote:
1. perfectlocke
2. Inquisit0r
3. eagleoftheeast
4. nac
5. wam
6. opinionpersom121
7. solonKR

If I can't debate then could I help coach in that case?

potentially; depends on who is interested
Nac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2015 10:00:55 AM
Are the mentors established, debatability?

I notice you have been carefully keeping track of participants, but see no mention of mentors. I am curious as to why this is.