Jump to topic:

DDO government

AlwaysRight12345
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2015 4:24:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I joined maybe half a year ago, and yet I still don't understand the whole DDO system. Some people talk of the DDO Elite, others of a president, and still others of a broad and expansive government with voting moderators and poll deletion and sanitation workers. I have pieced together some stuff, such as Airmax seems to be pretty high up there. However, I still have little to no idea of how the site actually works. For example, how did the DDO Elite become the Elite, or the president the president, or the sanitation workers the sanitation workers?
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2015 4:25:51 PM
At 5/29/2015 4:24:47 PM, AlwaysRight12345 wrote:
I joined maybe half a year ago, and yet I still don't understand the whole DDO system. Some people talk of the DDO Elite, others of a president, and still others of a broad and expansive government with voting moderators and poll deletion and sanitation workers. I have pieced together some stuff, such as Airmax seems to be pretty high up there. However, I still have little to no idea of how the site actually works. For example, how did the DDO Elite become the Elite, or the president the president, or the sanitation workers the sanitation workers?

lol
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2015 4:26:42 PM

Just gonna point out, if you go back far enough, jimtimmy and I made the DDO elite to troll a presidential campaign. It is bs m8.
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
AlwaysRight12345
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2015 4:27:50 PM
At 5/29/2015 4:26:42 PM, 16kadams wrote:

Just gonna point out, if you go back far enough, jimtimmy and I made the DDO elite to troll a presidential campaign. It is bs m8.

Oh
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2015 4:28:05 PM

I did an interview with AirMax a while ago where I asked him a lot of these questions--the function of the president, it's relationship with Juggle, etc. You might check that out.

I could be wrong, but I think this whole notion of the "DDO Elite" is just a joke brought on by some of the newer members complaining that the sight was cliquish, and some of the older members just embracing it. I don't know if it's taking on a real function since then or not. I haven't heard of "sanitation workers." I guess I've been out of the loop.

Here's the debate:
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2015 4:28:22 PM
The DDO Elite is a joke. It doesn't actually exist, it's just something people pretends exists because it's funny to parody.

The Mods are unelected, but they are also the most powerful users. Mods, specifically Airmax (the chief mod), are the only people who can remove votes, threads, posts, etc. They are also the only people who can initiate trials or punish/ban members.

Presidents, while elected, are more diplomats. They don't have any hard power, but are supposed to be ambassadors of the site to the mods and Juggle (the company that owns DDO).

Conclusion: Mods have hard power, Presidents have soft power, and the DDO Elite is a myth.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
AlwaysRight12345
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2015 4:29:35 PM
At 5/29/2015 4:28:05 PM, philochristos wrote:

I did an interview with AirMax a while ago where I asked him a lot of these questions--the function of the president, it's relationship with Juggle, etc. You might check that out.

I could be wrong, but I think this whole notion of the "DDO Elite" is just a joke brought on by some of the newer members complaining that the sight was cliquish, and some of the older members just embracing it. I don't know if it's taking on a real function since then or not.
Check post #2
I haven't heard of "sanitation workers." I guess I've been out of the loop.
That was a joke.

Here's the debate:

philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2015 4:29:45 PM
At 5/29/2015 4:28:05 PM, philochristos wrote:

Here's the debate:

I mean here's the interview.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2015 4:29:52 PM
The DDO Elite is nothing more than a ho-[Censored by the DDO Elite]

Every few months or so, an election is held for president of DDO, they manage the forums and are a representation of DDO to Juggle (the company that bought DDO)

The current DDO President is that handsome little fellow "UtherPenguin", he has recently banned debates and has established a secret police who will soon crackdown on the D-(Censored by the DDO Elite)

Airmax is the moderator, he can ban anyone, he also manages the forums and stuff. Aside from Juggle and the President, he is the few people with actual authority.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2015 4:31:30 PM
Presidential elections are held every 6 months--once in June and once in December. The current President is debatability. She was Vice-President, but became President after Ore resigned last weekend.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2015 4:41:30 PM
If you didn't know, I'm the Queen of DDO.
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Oh Hey, Seeing Artichokes Makes Me Want to Have Sex."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2015 4:45:45 PM
At 5/29/2015 4:41:30 PM, Lee001 wrote:

You wish.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2015 4:46:29 PM
At 5/29/2015 4:45:45 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

You wish.

You are below me.
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2015 4:47:16 PM
At 5/29/2015 4:46:29 PM, Lee001 wrote:

You wish.

You are below me.

That's cold.

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2015 4:48:42 PM
At 5/29/2015 4:47:16 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

You wish.

You are below me.

That's cold.

Fine...you are the 2nd Queen.

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2015 4:49:33 PM
At 5/29/2015 4:48:42 PM, Lee001 wrote:
At 5/29/2015 4:47:16 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

You wish.

You are below me.

That's cold.

Fine...you are the 2nd Queen.

I think that counts as a low-blow too. You're mean.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2015 9:24:57 PM

These are good questions, and a lot of it is answered in the New Members read me sticky:

http://www.debate.org...

The basics of site governance works like this:

I am the sites head moderator and I appoint other moderators to assist me. Those members are Bladerunner060 and Whiteflame, who act as assistant moderators.

Bluesteel who assists me in voting moderation as the voting issues moderator and F-16_fighting_falcon who is the assistant voting issue moderator.

Raisor assists me with things relating to the religion forum and as the religion forum moderator.

PetersSmith assists me with the polls section as the polls section moderator.

The President's role isn't one of site moderation/governance, though there is some overlap as their role is one of an ambassador, and acts as an advocate for the site's membership. In this sense, their opinion on moderation issues is valuable, even if they aren't directly responsible for site moderation.

As 16kAdams explained, "The DDO Elite" is a site meme that is just a joke. Jimtimmy coined the phrase when he ran for president around 3 years ago, and the meme has pretty much taken on a life of its own since then.

I suppose we could come up with opinions on who the DDO elite are (in terms of who are the most active and influential members) and what the term means in a less joking sense (if not in jest it would denote a group of more influence and a type of class warfare terminology that I believe was intended when it was coined), but most of the time the term is used it is just a joke and not referring to any specific members or group of members.
Debate.org Moderator
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2015 9:39:10 PM

sig change
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2015 9:44:55 PM
At 5/30/2015 9:39:10 PM, 16kadams wrote:

sig change

You must be new here... You don't actually have to post to change your sig. Welcome to the site. :P
Debate.org Moderator
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2015 9:48:41 PM
At 5/30/2015 9:44:55 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

sig change

You must be new here... You don't actually have to post to change your sig. Welcome to the site. :P

You don't have to post to change your sig?! Damn. The DDO Elite have been hiding things more than I thought.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2015 9:51:06 PM

sig change

wut
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2015 9:53:13 PM
At 5/30/2015 9:51:06 PM, 16kadams wrote:

sig change

wut

It changes once you review.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2015 9:56:13 PM

It's just the Jews that run this site.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2015 9:58:34 PM
At 5/30/2015 9:53:13 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 5/30/2015 9:51:06 PM, 16kadams wrote:

sig change

wut

It changes once you review.

ah
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2015 10:15:28 PM
At 5/30/2015 9:24:57 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

These are good questions, and a lot of it is answered in the New Members read me sticky:

The basics of site governance works like this:

I am the sites head moderator and I appoint other moderators to assist me. Those members are Bladerunner060 and Whiteflame, who act as assistant moderators.

Bluesteel who assists me in voting moderation as the voting issues moderator and F-16_fighting_falcon who is the assistant voting issue moderator.

Raisor assists me with things relating to the religion forum and as the religion forum moderator.

PetersSmith assists me with the polls section as the polls section moderator.

The President's role isn't one of site moderation/governance, though there is some overlap as their role is one of an ambassador, and acts as an advocate for the site's membership. In this sense, their opinion on moderation issues is valuable, even if they aren't directly responsible for site moderation.

As 16kAdams explained, "The DDO Elite" is a site meme that is just a joke. Jimtimmy coined the phrase when he ran for president around 3 years ago, and the meme has pretty much taken on a life of its own since then.

I suppose we could come up with opinions on who the DDO elite are (in terms of who are the most active and influential members) and what the term means in a less joking sense (if not in jest it would denote a group of more influence and a type of class warfare terminology that I believe was intended when it was coined), but most of the time the term is used it is just a joke and not referring to any specific members or group of members.

I love the immensely formal way you explain a joke. XD
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2015 10:16:03 PM

[censored by the DDO Elite]
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2015 10:20:18 PM
At 5/30/2015 9:56:13 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Deja vu, lol.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2015 10:21:46 PM
At 5/30/2015 10:20:18 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 5/30/2015 9:56:13 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Deja vu, lol.

Have you heard of Holodomor?

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2015 10:22:10 PM
At 5/30/2015 10:15:28 PM, tejretics wrote:

I love the immensely formal way you explain a joke. XD

You'd be surprised by how many members don't realize it's just a joke and think there's some type of real shady group of elites pulling strings behind the scenes. I've explained it's just a joke several times, but it's a pervasive thing that wont be going away any time soon. I figured it would be best for me to explain the joke in a formal way, and perhaps one day I'll dedicate an entire thread to explain the meme, and debunk some of the nonsense that is believed about it.
Debate.org Moderator