My Thoughts About the Presidency; Election

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 6:02:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
1. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst

We shouldn't expect the worst. Being a realist doesn't require you to give up any and all hope for progress - just prepare for no progress. Yes, we have been receiving the worst for a rather unfortunately long stretch of time, but let's not submit to defeat - we still have a lot to work with.

And to be honest, the site is already very good. All that's *really* needed is a mobile fix - which, even with Juggle's terrible track record - should happen eventually.

2. Prioritize the community over Juggle

In my view, Juggle should be pushed to the side and things that don't require them should be prioritized. I will vote for the candidacy that I think will be more competent at those things. What we want with Juggle isn't really a disputed issue - so let's not get too caught up in it.

3. What I want to see in the coming months

I think that whoever is elected should have the general user base do more things, rather than keep all responsibilities within those who ran in the ticket. It should be more balanced - helping the community grow will be better achieved with involvement. That's the reason I like the topics of the week - they can both increase activity and increase administration involvement.

4. Debatability's age

I am skeptical as to whether her age would actually matter, if elected President. I think she's done a good job in the mere week she's held the position - it isn't just Juggle. And on that note - if Juggle has any sense of maturity, they will listen to anyone who is elected by the membership.

5. Voting privileges (in the election)

I still think these need to be revamped more. If I recall correctly, it's 2 months of membership, 3 non-forfeited debates, 100 forum posts or 250 polls/opinion votes...something along those lines. I'd like it more comprehensive than that. If I had control over it, I would use this guideline:

Automatically eligible if one of the following applies: 1 year of membership, 1000 forum posts, 15 non-forfeited debates, 1000 polls/opinions votes.
6 months of membership - 3 non-forfeited debates or 500 forum posts, and if 3 non-forfeited debates, also 100 forum posts or 250 polls/opinion votes.
2 months of membership - 5 non-forfeited debates or 750 forum posts, and if 5 non-forfeited debates, also 250 forum posts or 375 polls/opinion votes.

---

Just some random thoughts I had. Chime in, if you would.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 6:20:54 PM
At 6/1/2015 6:02:19 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

We shouldn't expect the worst. Being a realist doesn't require you to give up any and all hope for progress - just prepare for no progress. Yes, we have been receiving the worst for a rather unfortunately long stretch of time, but let's not submit to defeat - we still have a lot to work with.

And to be honest, the site is already very good. All that's *really* needed is a mobile fix - which, even with Juggle's terrible track record - should happen eventually.

In my view, Juggle should be pushed to the side and things that don't require them should be prioritized. I will vote for the candidacy that I think will be more competent at those things. What we want with Juggle isn't really a disputed issue - so let's not get too caught up in it.

I think that whoever is elected should have the general user base do more things, rather than keep all responsibilities within those who ran in the ticket. It should be more balanced - helping the community grow will be better achieved with involvement. That's the reason I like the topics of the week - they can both increase activity and increase administration involvement.

4. Debatability's age

I am skeptical as to whether her age would actually matter, if elected President. I think she's done a good job in the mere week she's held the position - it isn't just Juggle. And on that note - if Juggle has any sense of maturity, they will listen to anyone who is elected by the membership.

I still think these need to be revamped more. If I recall correctly, it's 2 months of membership, 3 non-forfeited debates, 100 forum posts or 250 polls/opinion votes...something along those lines. I'd like it more comprehensive than that. If I had control over it, I would use this guideline:

Automatically eligible if one of the following applies: 1 year of membership, 1000 forum posts, 15 non-forfeited debates, 1000 polls/opinions votes.
6 months of membership - 3 non-forfeited debates or 500 forum posts, and if 3 non-forfeited debates, also 100 forum posts or 250 polls/opinion votes.
2 months of membership - 5 non-forfeited debates or 750 forum posts, and if 5 non-forfeited debates, also 250 forum posts or 375 polls/opinion votes.

That's a little bit much. I'm happy with the requirements now.
---

New episode of OUTSIDERS: http://www.debate.org...
Episode 4 - They walk among us
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 6:23:39 PM
Sorry for derailing this, but:
I just discovered that if you're using a laptop and you zoom in enough, it'll switch to the Mobile Version.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 6:37:47 PM
At 6/1/2015 6:26:00 PM, Garbanza wrote:
Aren't you on bsh1's campaign team? Why are you pretending to be impartial?

I am not on his campaign team.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 6:40:34 PM
I have problems with 2.

Juggle is an issue, the community isn't (exactly) a problem.

Don't get me wrong, I think its great that we help build our community; that can always be improved upon, but it is not an issue if you catch my drift.

Yet Juggle is an extremely important problem for our beloved DDO, it restricts our potential, it restricts our progression, it restricts our growth.

We need to fix the most important problems, before we move onto smaller ones (community improvement). We need to fix Juggle.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 6:48:08 PM

I think that's very well said.

I gully agree with this too.

4. Debatability's age

I don't think her age is the reason that Juggle wouldn't take her seriously, but I do think that her age would limit her ability to negotiate with them and collaborate with them.

It would have been better if Debate had just run with Bsh1, and I'm sure that he'll find a way to utilize what she brings to the table if he wins.
Tsar of DDO
Garbanza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 6:49:19 PM
At 6/1/2015 6:40:34 PM, Hayd wrote:
We need to fix the most important problems, before we move onto smaller ones (community improvement). We need to fix Juggle.

Ore_ele was a mod and he worked with Juggle to put the elo in place. They knew him and also he's moderately charming/diplomatic. If he couldn't get them to answer his emails then some anonymous 20 yr old or something 16 yr old debate enthusiast have no chance at all. Neither of them have any expertise with making money from online discussion sites. Neither of them can influence traffic here. They can't do anything about Juggle. The presidency is irrelevant to this.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 6:49:24 PM
I have problems with 2.

Juggle is an issue, the community isn't (exactly) a problem.

Don't get me wrong, I think its great that we help build our community; that can always be improved upon, but it is not an issue if you catch my drift.

Yet Juggle is an extremely important problem for our beloved DDO, it restricts our potential, it restricts our progression, it restricts our growth.

But which is, according to history, more practical to focus on?

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Daltonian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 6:51:42 PM
4. Debatability's age

Is she running, or no? I've heard rumours and 'maybes' but never a confirmed statement. Unless I just totally missed it. lol.
F _ C K
All I need is "u", baby
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 6:52:16 PM
At 6/1/2015 6:51:42 PM, Daltonian wrote:
4. Debatability's age

Is she running, or no? I've heard rumours and 'maybes' but never a confirmed statement. Unless I just totally missed it. lol.

Yup, she declared a few days ago. Thett is her running mate.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 6:52:16 PM
4. Debatability's age

Yeah, she is.
Tsar of DDO
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 6:52:17 PM
4. Debatability's age

She's running with Thett.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 6:52:37 PM
At 6/1/2015 6:48:08 PM, YYW wrote:

*fully
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 6:53:29 PM
At 6/1/2015 6:52:37 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

*fully

I got like 1.5 hours of sleep last night, so yeah... I clearly cannot type.
Tsar of DDO
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 6:54:23 PM
At 6/1/2015 6:53:29 PM, YYW wrote:
At 6/1/2015 6:52:37 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

*fully

I got like 1.5 hours of sleep last night, so yeah... I clearly cannot type.

Lol. Go sleep omg XD
Solonkr~

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

Lexus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 6:56:55 PM

I agree that we should change the voting requirements. I've never really been one to talk on the forums (more of a lurker) or the opinions/polls function of DDO, but is what I want to happen worth less than someone who pretty much only talk on the forums? I know what I want to happen with a new president but I can't vote if there isn't any changes. I'm also not going to spam the opinions/polls/forums until election day so I can have a voice in a democracy, I think that my voice should be there anyways.
Daltonian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 6:58:39 PM
At 6/1/2015 6:52:17 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
4. Debatability's age

Did she say that in hangouts? I anticipate her platform..

That sort of throws a wrench in me hoping it'd be an easily decided election.. both are great candidates.

Also, I agree with you 100% in terms of prioritization. I think incorporating bug fixes and Juggle-dependent reforms into your platform is heading in sort of the wrong direction - past presidencies have proved that really doesn't work.

Rather, I'd like to see the community sort of build an independence from Juggle, who are clearly not willing to cooperate with the site; with the president at the helm of this. In all honesty, I'd much rather the president spend much of the time he'd take up trying to reach juggle for something better. That being said, the president simply trying doesn't harm anyone, it's the context and the extent to which their platform depends on Juggle cooperating.
F _ C K
All I need is "u", baby
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 7:01:55 PM
At 6/1/2015 6:58:39 PM, Daltonian wrote:
At 6/1/2015 6:52:17 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
4. Debatability's age

Did she say that in hangouts? I anticipate her platform..

That sort of throws a wrench in me hoping it'd be an easily decided election.. both are great candidates.

Also, I agree with you 100% in terms of prioritization. I think incorporating bug fixes and Juggle-dependent reforms into your platform is heading in sort of the wrong direction - past presidencies have proved that really doesn't work.

Rather, I'd like to see the community sort of build an independence from Juggle, who are clearly not willing to cooperate with the site; with the president at the helm of this. In all honesty, I'd much rather the president spend much of the time he'd take up trying to reach juggle for something better. That being said, the president simply trying doesn't harm anyone, it's the context and the extent to which their platform depends on Juggle cooperating.

No she made a thread in this forum about it. She said she would post her platform today i think
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 7:11:12 PM
At 6/1/2015 6:49:19 PM, Garbanza wrote:

Ore_ele was a mod and he worked with Juggle to put the elo in place. They knew him and also he's moderately charming/diplomatic. If he couldn't get them to answer his emails then some anonymous 20 yr old or something 16 yr old debate enthusiast have no chance at all. Neither of them have any expertise with making money from online discussion sites. Neither of them can influence traffic here. They can't do anything about Juggle. The presidency is irrelevant to this.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is so true
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 7:31:59 PM
At 6/1/2015 6:56:55 PM, Lexus wrote:

I agree that we should change the voting requirements. I've never really been one to talk on the forums (more of a lurker) or the opinions/polls function of DDO, but is what I want to happen worth less than someone who pretty much only talk on the forums? I know what I want to happen with a new president but I can't vote if there isn't any changes. I'm also not going to spam the opinions/polls/forums until election day so I can have a voice in a democracy, I think that my voice should be there anyways.

Not appearing in the forums means you're not regularly interacting with members of the community in a way that can be verified. The presidency is all about serving as an elected representative of the people. You may read them constantly and be up-to-date, but that's not something Airmax can verify. You should come in, join the party, be part of everyone else.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 7:42:39 PM
At 6/1/2015 7:31:59 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Not appearing in the forums means you're not regularly interacting with members of the community in a way that can be verified. The presidency is all about serving as an elected representative of the people. You may read them constantly and be up-to-date, but that's not something Airmax can verify. You should come in, join the party, be part of everyone else.

I totally disagree. This is debate.org, not forum.org. Established debaters who rarely or never post in the forums absolutely deserve to have a say.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 7:45:14 PM
At 6/1/2015 7:42:39 PM, thett3 wrote:

I totally disagree. This is debate.org, not forum.org. Established debaters who rarely or never post in the forums absolutely deserve to have a say.

Then there should be a minimum number of debates, more than 3...
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 8:02:29 PM
At 6/1/2015 7:45:14 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

Then there should be a minimum number of debates, more than 3...

Three debates with no forfeits on either side sounds reasonable but either way debates > forums. In my early days on the site Roy had at most a couple hundred forum posts. But he absolutely was a member of the community and deserved a say
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 8:14:25 PM

I generally, but cautiously, agree with this...

I also agree with this...100%

I think that whoever is elected should have the general user base do more things

Also agreed.

I still think these need to be revamped more. If I recall correctly, it's 2 months of membership, 3 non-forfeited debates, 100 forum posts or 250 polls/opinion votes...something along those lines. I'd like it more comprehensive than that.

This was my plan: http://www.debate.org...

It's definitely something I think should be discussed after the election.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 9:29:21 PM
Bump because of stalker spam.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 9:36:58 PM
At 6/1/2015 6:49:19 PM, Garbanza wrote:

You just summed up this election.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz

"No aspect of your facial structure suggests Filipino descent."
~ YYW
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 9:45:51 PM

It's not like it's difficult to participate in the forums. Debates are an intensive one-on-one experience here. They're hardly reflective of a community. I don't want someone who never talks to other people in a position of power over me.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 2:05:08 AM

4. Debatability's age

---

I completely agree.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass