A Few Announcements

ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 9:52:26 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I have three announcements.

First, as many of you have seen, the May Beginner's Tournament has not gone as planned. Several members dropped out, and even more have been inactive. To top it off, I've recently received word of even more complicated circumstances that will effectively leave the results of the tournament to be determined by, at best, two debates. That isn't much of a tournament.

Thus, regrettably I'm announcing that this tournament is being disbanded. If someone else wants to take over or, even, if the three (or four, though heaven knows whether we actually have four at this point) want to sort out the last two rounds, I suppose they can do so, but I don't see much of a point. My apologies to the four of you and to your mentors.

Second, I'm leaving DDO. I'm not going go into much detail as to why this is the case, other than that the marginal costs of me being here now outweigh the benefits, and there are other things in my life to which I should be allocating more of my time and attention - and I believe that DDO is inhibiting me from doing that.

I'm not going to make a long milestone or list off people who have impacted me, nor am I going to use this as a platform to curse out people who don't like me. Furthermore, I'm not going to pretend that my time on DDO has been rainbows and unicorns. I wanted to leave several months ago, in fact, but stayed because my friend was being harassed - and several of you know what I'm talking about, but I implore you not to use this thread as a platform to re-hash either the drama that ensued then, or at some other time.

Nevertheless, many of you have seen me at my worst - and here's the thing: I don't apologize for it. I have a number of regrets from my time here - and things that, surely, I would have done a lot differently if life afforded people second chances, though alas it does not - but defending my friends isn't one of them. That's something I'll take to my grave.

I will address one person, though, who has single-handedly made my last year and a half on DDO worth it. That person is SpencerJoyage14 - my best friend and my little sister, and the only person I can say I trust fully. If I knew that joining DDO meant meeting here, I would do it over again a few dozen, hundred, thousand, you name it, times - drama and all. She isn't active anymore, so I doubt she'll see this, though admittedly her de-facto departure has reduced my desire to be on DDO. If leaving in any way jeopardized my ability to communicate with her, this thread wouldn't exist, though obviously that isn't the case.

Finally, here's a curve ball. With whatever weight my support may have, I'm endorsing Liz and Stephen for President and Vice President of DDO. I've gotten to know the two of them quite well over the past year, and I know them both to be quick on their feet, exceptionally bright, extremely diligent, and more than competent enough to tackle the roles and challenges that the DDO presidency will entail. I think the two of them are the most qualified individuals for the job, and wish them - or whomever wins - the best of luck in restoring the vibrancy of DDO over the next few months and beyond.

With that, I depart. Thanks again to those of you who made this experience worthwhile.

Cheers,

Joey
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 9:55:01 PM
At 6/1/2015 9:52:26 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
Second, I'm leaving DDO. I'm not going go into much detail as to why this is the case, other than that the marginal costs of me being here now outweigh the benefits, and there are other things in my life to which I should be allocating more of my time and attention - and I believe that DDO is inhibiting me from doing that.

Only you would say it like that...

Love ya hun <#
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 9:59:12 PM
He will be back.

The records of history suggest anything between a week and a year, but he will be back.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 9:59:39 PM
=( It was nice knowing you.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 10:00:53 PM

First, as many of you have seen, the May Beginner's Tournament has not gone as planned. Several members dropped out, and even more have been inactive. To top it off, I've recently received word of even more complicated circumstances that will effectively leave the results of the tournament to be determined by, at best, two debates. That isn't much of a tournament.

Thus, regrettably I'm announcing that this tournament is being disbanded. If someone else wants to take over or, even, if the three (or four, though heaven knows whether we actually have four at this point) want to sort out the last two rounds, I suppose they can do so, but I don't see much of a point. My apologies to the four of you and to your mentors.

I'm not going to make a long milestone or list off people who have impacted me, nor am I going to use this as a platform to curse out people who don't like me. Furthermore, I'm not going to pretend that my time on DDO has been rainbows and unicorns. I wanted to leave several months ago, in fact, but stayed because my friend was being harassed - and several of you know what I'm talking about, but I implore you not to use this thread as a platform to re-hash either the drama that ensued then, or at some other time.

Nevertheless, many of you have seen me at my worst - and here's the thing: I don't apologize for it. I have a number of regrets from my time here - and things that, surely, I would have done a lot differently if life afforded people second chances, though alas it does not - but defending my friends isn't one of them. That's something I'll take to my grave.

I will address one person, though, who has single-handedly made my last year and a half on DDO worth it. That person is SpencerJoyage14 - my best friend and my little sister, and the only person I can say I trust fully. If I knew that joining DDO meant meeting here, I would do it over again a few dozen, hundred, thousand, you name it, times - drama and all. She isn't active anymore, so I doubt she'll see this, though admittedly her de-facto departure has reduced my desire to be on DDO. If leaving in any way jeopardized my ability to communicate with her, this thread wouldn't exist, though obviously that isn't the case.

Finally, here's a curve ball. With whatever weight my support may have, I'm endorsing Liz and Stephen for President and Vice President of DDO. I've gotten to know the two of them quite well over the past year, and I know them both to be quick on their feet, exceptionally bright, extremely diligent, and more than competent enough to tackle the roles and challenges that the DDO presidency will entail. I think the two of them are the most qualified individuals for the job, and wish them - or whomever wins - the best of luck in restoring the vibrancy of DDO over the next few months and beyond.

With that, I depart. Thanks again to those of you who made this experience worthwhile.

Cheers,

Joey

Goodbye.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 10:01:58 PM
At 6/1/2015 9:59:12 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
He will be back.

The records of history suggest anything between a week and a year, but he will be back.

I put it at 5-7 weeks.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 10:04:17 PM
At 6/1/2015 10:03:35 PM, RevNge wrote:
What do you think his next account's username will be?

FiscalStimulus

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 10:04:58 PM
If you're lurking to read all the people at your gravestone, though, bye Joey. I hope you can struggle through life and return to DDO someday.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 10:07:43 PM

It's okay. It was not your fault at all, but the collective fault of all those who signed up without considering whether they would be available for the tournament. I still hope to continue my debate with That1user, though.
I understand that JMK. You have a lot of work to do at school, what with your exams coming up, and you have a family business to co-run. A break from DDO will never hurt.

I do hope that, when the opportunity cost of your time on DDO decreases with lower-valued alternative uses, the total costs (fixed + variable) will be smaller than the total revenue, so you no longer satisfy the long-run shutdown condition and return. You will be missed here.

Thanks so much Joey. Your responses to my econ questions were extremely useful, not just for my exams but also for forming my opinion on various matters. I am extremely grateful for that, and I am indebted to you.

Cheers,

Joey
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 10:09:36 PM
inb4 Thett posts that clip from Spongebob

also inb4 Joey comes back

See you soon, love.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 10:11:44 PM
At 6/1/2015 10:09:36 PM, ShabShoral wrote:

IKR

also inb4 Joey comes back

Lol

See you soon, love.

7th left?
Solonkr~

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 10:12:07 PM
At 6/1/2015 9:57:00 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
Today we gather to bury the economics forum. The two of you shall be missed.

two?
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 10:13:48 PM

I'd vig you for this, but I'll stay my hand. See ya, buddy!
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 10:13:51 PM
At 6/1/2015 10:09:36 PM, ShabShoral wrote:

It's so true though.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 10:24:50 PM

Cheers,

Joey

Are you ever coming back?
*wipes away tear*
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 10:26:01 PM

Cheers,

Joey

Your aggregate demand is not high enough for this website? I will pass a stimulus!

FVCK I WANT YOU BACK HERE

gl in life btw

And come on for 2 seconds if you ever meet one of those pro MW researchers at your college

bai

And I give you another random video which you will say "where the fvck do you get that". This may make you laugh if you see this: https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 10:26:15 PM

IrresponsibleResponsible.
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Oh Hey, Seeing Artichokes Makes Me Want to Have Sex."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 12:03:49 AM
Dammit, Joey, you said you'd still be here when I took econ either next year or the year after >:( That aside, I'm really glad I got the chance to meet you here on DDO. I'll miss your walls of econ theory and random day vigs and crazy mafia ideas. I hope you will come back soon after your IRL issues settle down a bit. Good luck and good bye for now!
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 12:18:27 AM
At 6/1/2015 10:26:15 PM, Lee001 wrote:

ReasonablyResponsible.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 12:20:03 AM
At 6/2/2015 12:18:27 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

ReasonablyResponsible.

XD
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 12:21:31 AM
Thanks for the endorsement, Joey. For once, I post this video in the hopes that it's true and if not it was nice knowing you and good luck.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 12:25:43 AM
Goodbye. Since you're leaving for good, do you wanna come clean and tell us whether or not you're really Progressivedem22?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 12:34:43 AM
At 6/2/2015 12:20:03 AM, Lee001 wrote:

ReasonablyResponsible.

XD

Or he could take the heil route: ResponsiblyIrresponsible2
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 12:40:06 AM
At 6/2/2015 12:34:43 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 6/2/2015 12:20:03 AM, Lee001 wrote:

ReasonablyResponsible.

XD

Or he could take the heil route: ResponsiblyIrresponsible2

LOL.

Or...

Somewhatresponsiblebutmostlyirresponsible.

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 12:40:10 AM
At 6/2/2015 12:25:43 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Goodbye. Since you're leaving for good, do you wanna come clean and tell us whether or not you're really Progressivedem22?

He was. He's said so.
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 1:13:40 AM
Best of luck whatever you do next.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...